Anyone have "a thing"?

A place to chat about anything thats not football related. Most of the threads in here are completely pointless which is why people keep coming back and back. As the forum title suggests, feel free to make any post you want on any subject you wish. It also has Adult jokes (so be warned) which is the other reason people keep coming back.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

marko69
Global Moderator

Anyone have "a thing"?

Post by marko69 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:04 am

Speaking purely from a fitness level. To be clear......, I know Charnwoods "thing" is golf. Really wish golf was my thing; love it, but sh*t at it. ..... And when I say sh*t, I mean sh*t to a whole new level of sh*t. Even the granddaughter beats me a putting.

I've been into windsurfing in the past, (not doing as much these days) and still sometimes play 5-a-side......, although it's usually when the mates are a man short. (And the young bastards are too damn physical!)

BUT TODAY........, the new mountain bike arrived! WOO HOO! The wife and sons have been cyclists and mountain bikers for years......, thought I'd get in on the act. First test is going to be Glentress down in the Borders tomorrow and thursday. All sorts of blue, red, black trails to conquer. Completely sh*tting it, but equally excited.

Any people on the forum where mountain biking is their "thing"......, much appreciated to hear tips or nice stories. (No stories of skint knees!)

Let's hear other "things" too though.

arana peligrosa

Re: Anyone have "a thing"?

Post by arana peligrosa » Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:30 pm

Used to have an interest in cycling once upon a time but other events in the end took over which subsequently caused a significant lack of interest and motivation. I do miss the cycling aspect of things to a certain extent, made for a cheaper alternative than a fitness center, but never regained the enthusiasm from before.

Quasar

Post by Quasar » Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:50 pm

I used to be an extremely good 10-pin bowler - and played at Bury Bowl ( bury st eds ) leagues and also RAF Mild., and Laken. Even qualified once for the NY Open... didn't go..

I also enjoy clay shooting and have a collection of guns.

My current "thing" is now League Pool, for 2 villages teams on a Tues n Thurs nights.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:17 pm

Quasar wrote:I used to be an extremely good 10-pin bowler - and played at Bury Bowl ( bury st eds ) leagues and also RAF Mild., and Laken. Even qualified once for the NY Open... didn't go..

I also enjoy clay shooting and have a collection of guns.

My current "thing" is now League Pool, for 2 villages teams on a Tues n Thurs nights.
It doesn't take much to get the enthusiasm back, Saint. After the first few outings, (and the muscles are used to it) it all becomes enjoyable again. I went out on a hired bike before deciding to buy my own in case it wasn't for me......., but it's great. Love it.

I got a job at a bowling alley once, Quasar. My then girlfriend said, "ten pin?"......, I said, "No. Permanent."
Oh dear! Coat time.

Superb though. I call it "gutterball"......, because that's where my ball always ends up. In fact, last time I went bowling, I ended up just bowling the ball as fast as I could so that I'd win the fastest bowl down the alley competition. No such competition you understand, so obviously I won it.

Played a lot of pool years ago when the eyes were better. I'd normally say, "I'll give you a game for a fiver!"........, but with you playing for two village teams?......, err, I'll give it a miss! :D

itfc76trev

Post by itfc76trev » Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:55 am

I play pool too for a division one team in Newmarket on Thursday night, good nights out
Last edited by itfc76trev on Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ohiotractorboy

Post by Ohiotractorboy » Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:27 pm

I do enjoy riding my mountain bike, not alot of mountains here but we are starting to get more and more bike paths to ride around on.

Started learning the guitar about a year and a half ago and generally play/practice for at least a half hour a day. I find it very therapeutic.

I have played golf now for 36 years, still love getting out when I can. Trying to teach my oldest daughter how to play.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:18 pm

That reminded me of something. How do you embed Youtube on these pages ? Last did this around four or five years back and wouldn't remember the correct procedure ?

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:26 am

I realized tonight you can't embed Youtube on these pages anymore. Went back to an old thread from 2011 on the very subject and went through the same procedure and even others who demonstrated it then have had them removed. Thing is I found a great clip that I wanted to share and it went perfectly well with something that was said on this very thread.

Sorry didn't know where else to include it but this thread seems adequate : as it's a thing you can no longer do ?

number 9

Post by number 9 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:14 pm

I have a Hybrid bicycle, but I mostly ride it on paved trails. I do plan on buying off-road tires as it would be nice to do a little mountain biking. I also like to walk. Those are my 'things' as far as exercise goes.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat May 09, 2015 6:52 pm

Ohiotractorboy wrote:I do enjoy riding my mountain bike, not alot of mountains here but we are starting to get more and more bike paths to ride around on.

Started learning the guitar about a year and a half ago and generally play/practice for at least a half hour a day. I find it very therapeutic.

I have played golf now for 36 years, still love getting out when I can. Trying to teach my oldest daughter how to play.
edited

Ohiotractorboy

Post by Ohiotractorboy » Mon May 18, 2015 3:13 am

saint jude wrote:
Ohiotractorboy wrote:I do enjoy riding my mountain bike, not alot of mountains here but we are starting to get more and more bike paths to ride around on.

edited

for what?

supershred

Post by supershred » Thu May 21, 2015 10:49 am

Cool - Is it a full suspension bike? I've ridden graded trails in slate country , mid Wales.
Graded trails are fantastic - but steer clear of the blacks until you are feeling confident as they are serious and a bit dangerous for the novice. Push your self to your limit but ride within your limits. ENjoy!!

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu May 21, 2015 8:32 pm

supershred wrote:Cool - Is it a full suspension bike? I've ridden graded trails in slate country , mid Wales.
Graded trails are fantastic - but steer clear of the blacks until you are feeling confident as they are serious and a bit dangerous for the novice. Push your self to your limit but ride within your limits. ENjoy!!
Is that you on the snowboard in the avatar, Supershred? Superb if it is. Snowboarders are people with serious balls. No way would I ever have my feet strapped to a board! :shock:

Definitely not a full suspension bike. Couldn't justify the cost getting one of those, 2 reasons, 1/ I wouldn't use it enough, and 2/ I am already half sh*tting myself on red trails! Blue is ok, but even then, the wife and son are miles ahead of me. Don't think I would ever try any black trails. Got to think about work too......, being self employed, my insurance doesn't allow "bike over a tree stump, two broken arms" cover! :lol: