Classic match reports from the past..

A place to chat about anything thats not football related. Most of the threads in here are completely pointless which is why people keep coming back and back. As the forum title suggests, feel free to make any post you want on any subject you wish. It also has Adult jokes (so be warned) which is the other reason people keep coming back.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

goldandblack

Classic match reports from the past..

Post by goldandblack » Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:47 pm

Join in to re-live some great memories,

Classic match reports from the past.

The date was January 1, 1990….Newcastle 1 Steve Bull 4.

It was undoubtedly one of the most memorable games in Wolves' recent history, especially for those Wolves fans who flew to the game on six chartered planes.
Birmingham Airport has never seen anything like it. First thing in the morning on New Year's Day, a time when you'd expect the airport to be quiet and empty, resembled a dingy Wetherspoons on a Saturday night, with almost 1,000 taking over the place and singing and dancing down the runway, clad in fancy dress as Father Christmas, a snowman or a Mexican. Yes, Wolves fans are a special breed.
They were rewarded with a remarkable victory - Wolves' biggest away from home for a decade.

Goals and Report
http://www.expressandstar.com/sport/wol ... -wolves-4/

marko69
Global Moderator

Re: Classic match reports from the past..

Post by marko69 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:10 pm

Great stuff, G&B. Were you on one of those flights to the Nook?

This was a night to remember, October 22nd, 2000........, 15 years ago!

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/ ... -1-2290983

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:37 pm

marko69 wrote:Great stuff, G&B. Were you on one of those flights to the Nook?

This was a night to remember, October 22nd, 2000........, 15 years ago!

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/ ... -1-2290983

Brilliant, I think that Mixu Paatelainen played for us at some time, a game full of great memories for you mate.

I went to the Newcastle game but by coach. on one of about 20 odd Don Everall coaches, also great days.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:40 pm

I know you are "slightly" older than me, Wolfie......, but I understand the bus thing myself. GREAT days. Back in the very early 80's when football was affordable, (it really hasn't become "all relative" with time; its extortionate now) when a few Hibs buses would leave The Right Wing pub on a Saturday morning for away games. Aberdeen being the furthest was always my favourite. But even closer games like maybe Partick Thistle or Motherwell, we'd get on the bus and stop at a pub along off the M8 etc etc........., those days are gone completely. There are still obviously supporters buses around, but not to the same extent.

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:09 pm

marko69 wrote:I know you are "slightly" older than me, Wolfie......, but I understand the bus thing myself. GREAT days. Back in the very early 80's when football was affordable, (it really hasn't become "all relative" with time; its extortionate now) when a few Hibs buses would leave The Right Wing pub on a Saturday morning for away games. Aberdeen being the furthest was always my favourite. But even closer games like maybe Partick Thistle or Motherwell, we'd get on the bus and stop at a pub along off the M8 etc etc........., those days are gone completely. There are still obviously supporters buses around, but not to the same extent.
BUT BUT, I;m only 64 and a little bit lol.

yeah the private pub coaches were the best, but the club coaches were a laugh when they all stopped at a service station to find 4 or 5 other clubs fans there. Newport Pagnall on the M1 was once raised to the ground when Leicester City and Wolves were dinning out together :wink:

Anyway what about this match as a classic,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQvQEFczWis

Motherwell 6 Hibernian Wanderers 6 8)

Hibs raced into a 4–1 lead in the first half, largely thanks to a hat-trick by Colin Nish.[1] Giles Coke had equalised for Motherwell after Nish opened the scoring, but had then gifted Hibs their third goal, scored by Derek Riordan.[1] Motherwell did pull a goal back before half-time through John Sutton, but two goals by Anthony Stokes after the restart seemingly put the game beyond doubt at 6–2.[2] Within 15 minutes, however, Motherwell had reduced the deficit to 6–5, thanks to a simple tap-in by Coke, a Tom Hateley free kick and a Sutton header from close range.[1] Substitute Ross Forbes then had the chance to equalise from a penalty kick with three minutes left, but it was saved by Graeme Smith, who had conceded the penalty in the first place.[1] Forbes had taken the penalty despite the fact that Lukas Jutkiewicz was the nominated penalty taker; Jutkiewicz had deferred to Forbes as he was fresher, having only come on less than 10 minutes previously.[2] In the third minute of injury time, Jutkiewicz produced a remarkable effort to score the equaliser, a goal that his manager Craig Brown compared to Marco van Basten's goal in the 1988 European Championship Final.[2]

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Oct 24, 2015 5:39 pm

goldandblack wrote:
marko69 wrote:I know you are "slightly" older than me, Wolfie......, but I understand the bus thing myself. GREAT days. Back in the very early 80's when football was affordable, (it really hasn't become "all relative" with time; its extortionate now) when a few Hibs buses would leave The Right Wing pub on a Saturday morning for away games. Aberdeen being the furthest was always my favourite. But even closer games like maybe Partick Thistle or Motherwell, we'd get on the bus and stop at a pub along off the M8 etc etc........., those days are gone completely. There are still obviously supporters buses around, but not to the same extent.
BUT BUT, I;m only 64 and a little bit lol.

yeah the private pub coaches were the best, but the club coaches were a laugh when they all stopped at a service station to find 4 or 5 other clubs fans there. Newport Pagnall on the M1 was once raised to the ground when Leicester City and Wolves were dinning out together :wink:

Anyway what about this match as a classic,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQvQEFczWis

Motherwell 6 Hibernian Wanderers 6 8)

Hibs raced into a 4–1 lead in the first half, largely thanks to a hat-trick by Colin Nish.[1] Giles Coke had equalised for Motherwell after Nish opened the scoring, but had then gifted Hibs their third goal, scored by Derek Riordan.[1] Motherwell did pull a goal back before half-time through John Sutton, but two goals by Anthony Stokes after the restart seemingly put the game beyond doubt at 6–2.[2] Within 15 minutes, however, Motherwell had reduced the deficit to 6–5, thanks to a simple tap-in by Coke, a Tom Hateley free kick and a Sutton header from close range.[1] Substitute Ross Forbes then had the chance to equalise from a penalty kick with three minutes left, but it was saved by Graeme Smith, who had conceded the penalty in the first place.[1] Forbes had taken the penalty despite the fact that Lukas Jutkiewicz was the nominated penalty taker; Jutkiewicz had deferred to Forbes as he was fresher, having only come on less than 10 minutes previously.[2] In the third minute of injury time, Jutkiewicz produced a remarkable effort to score the equaliser, a goal that his manager Craig Brown compared to Marco van Basten's goal in the 1988 European Championship Final.[2]
I was at that ^^^ game, Wolfie. Roller coaster of emotions, but mainly severely pissed off ness. Both Hibs and Motherwell were pish. Was like watching an Under 9 game. So from a Hibernian Wanderers perspective, not a classic! :D

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:20 pm

Another day to remember for all the wrong reasons
Terror plot at Molineux
It was described as one of the most 'bizarre and alarming' episodes in Wolves' long history.

A callous arson attack and a sinister plot that saw 32 explosive devices left on the pitch - leading to bomb squad and SWAT teams descending on the scene - might sound like something from a movie script.
But this is the build-up Wolves faced ahead of their end-of-season clash with Middlesbrough in May 1992.
A dramatic day ended with Boro winning promotion to the inaugural Premier League. But the game was almost called off amid the extraordinary and malevolent goings-on.
Conspiracy theorists were in their element, with one suggestion accusing Boro fans accused of deliberating sabotaging the game, as regular goalkeeper Stephen Pears was out injured.

Around £100,000 of damage was caused to Wolves' decrepit Waterloo Road stand (the second attack in a week, the first being far more minor) by the fire, which started at 5am.Police scour the pitch with metal detectors.
Sheets of asbestos roofing exploded as the blaze tore through the stand, which hadn't been in use for seven years.
Firefighter Dave Joyce tackled the blaze. He later described the scene he encountered, with Molineux burning.
"Smoke was drifting across the sky and when we turned into Waterloo Road, we could see the stand well alight," Mr Joyce said.
“We were the first crew there and I was station officer at the time - I ordered 10 more fire engines straight away and we forced our way into the South Bank .
"We needed to move really quickly as the stand was wooden and was really going."
At the same time, even more disconcertingly, live shotgun cartridges wrapped in green tape to disguise them had been buried into the pitch, preceded by a threatening phone call warning the club.
The devices had been altered in what police said was a crude attempt to make them detonate if trodden on.
One of the cartridges had a nail attached, while others had bits of wood fixed to them.
Wolverhampton Euro MP John Bird blamed disillusioned Wolves fans angry at Graham Turner's underperforming team - and was promptly banned from his executive box at Molineux for stirring up trouble.One of 32 live shotgun rounds left on the Molineux pitch.
Tensions were obviously high and it was perhaps a surprise when the game was allowed to go ahead.
David Instone wrote in the Express & Star: "Credit is due to all those who worked single-mindedly almost from sunrise to make sure football triumphed over an act that fell some way between hooliganism and terrorism."
The football match, which had so much riding on it, seemed a side issue but it saw the drama continue, with Boro, a goal and a man down, scoring twice in quick succession to seal promotion ahead of Derby County.
Violent acts took place on the pitch as well as off it that day, with Nicky Mohan seeing red on 65 minutes when, after a cynical challenge by Jamie Pollock on Steve Bull, a melee ensued and Mohan was dismissed for his role.
Sir Jack Hayward offered a £10,000 to catch the saboteurs, saying: "We are obviously very anxious to put an end to these recurring, despicable acts."
Added to 38 arrests for running battles pre and post-match between Wolves and Boro fans, it topped a madcap 48 hours.
Those responsible were never found. But those involved would never forget it.

A potential bomb was found in a sandwich box at the back of the Waterloo Rd Stand. The disposal expert was examining it and his mate shouted across, "Is it tickin'?" Came the reply, "No, I think it's turkey."

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:08 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Not at the story, but at the "tickin!"

Never knew anything about that story, Wolfie. Thanks for posting.

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:04 pm

marko69 wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Not at the story, but at the "tickin!"

Never knew anything about that story, Wolfie. Thanks for posting.
dark days down at the mol. I think the fire actually improved that stand. :lol:

there must be some classic Town matches just waiting to be put in here,

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:10 pm

I'm surprised Charnwood, Hallam or Mike haven't posted about the 1979/80 6-0 thrashing of Man Utd, complete with several missed penalties!