Lewis Hamilton

A place to chat about anything thats not football related. Most of the threads in here are completely pointless which is why people keep coming back and back. As the forum title suggests, feel free to make any post you want on any subject you wish. It also has Adult jokes (so be warned) which is the other reason people keep coming back.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Lewis Hamilton

Post by Charnwood » Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:00 am

I'm delighted to see him Win a third Formula 1 Drivers Championship but really resent him parading around with a Union Jack wrapped around himself when he's chosen to leave the UK as a tax exile to live in Switzerland & Monaco.

If he's proud to be a Brit the greedy little b.....d should pay his taxes like the rest of us, and if he did he'd still be the richest sportsman in Britain ahead of Wayne Rooney, Jenson Button and Andy Murray.

goldandblack

Re: Lewis Hamilton

Post by goldandblack » Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:15 pm

Charnwood wrote:I'm delighted to see him Win a third Formula 1 Drivers Championship but really resent him parading around with a Union Jack wrapped around himself when he's chosen to leave the UK as a tax exile to live in Switzerland & Monaco.

If he's proud to be a Brit the greedy little b.....d should pay his taxes like the rest of us, and if he did he'd still be the richest sportsman in Britain ahead of Wayne Rooney, Jenson Button and Andy Murray.
agree Charnwood, takes the edge off his achievements as you say,

The Don
Forum Hall of Famer

Post by The Don » Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:13 pm

Call me pedantic, but don't you spend 6 months of the year in Spain? Doesn't that affect tax contributions? I guess I see what you're saying regarding him being a tax exile, but I can't sit here and claim that I wouldn't do the same given him position.

I want to be wealthy and recoup as much of my fortune as possible. That doesn't question my loyalty and pride in being English.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:32 pm

The Don wrote:Call me pedantic, but don't you spend 6 months of the year in Spain? Doesn't that affect tax contributions? I guess I see what you're saying regarding him being a tax exile, but I can't sit here and claim that I wouldn't do the same given him position.

I want to be wealthy and recoup as much of my fortune as possible. That doesn't question my loyalty and pride in being English.

To answer your question Don, we limit our time in Spain to less than 183 days which retains our residency in the UK for tax purposes and we both complete a Self Assessment Tax Return every year. As such we pay the same taxes in the UK as we would if we lived there for 12 months... so thinking about it we probably pay twice what we should do for the time we spend there! Same with Car Tax, Council Tax and every other tax we pay.

On top of that Don me and the missus both complete a Spanish Non Residency Tax Return and pay our Spanish taxes too, albeit only a few hundred Euros each. That said Spain cleverly taxes you every time you spend any money with their equivalent to vat (iva) currently set at 21%.

As for Hamilton, I'm not saying I blame him for avoiding paying tax by giving up his residency, it just pisses me off seeing him parading around with his Union Jack and using the National Anthem of the Country he's decided to turn his back on.

Personally I'm proud to be British and happy to pay my share of taxes albeit that it sometimes feels unfair paying tax on Pension Income, in that respect I much prefer the Spanish way of taxing what you spend which leads to far less tax avoidance.

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:35 pm

Charnwood wrote:
The Don wrote:Call me pedantic, but don't you spend 6 months of the year in Spain? Doesn't that affect tax contributions? I guess I see what you're saying regarding him being a tax exile, but I can't sit here and claim that I wouldn't do the same given him position.

To answer your question Don, we limit our time in Spain to less than 183 days which retains our residency in the UK for tax purposes and we both complete a Self Assessment Tax Return every year. As such we pay the same taxes in the UK as we would if we lived there for 12 months... so thinking about it we probably pay twice what we should do for the time we spend there! Same with Car Tax, Council Tax and every other tax we pay.

On top of that Don me and the missus both complete a Spanish Non Residency Tax Return and pay our Spanish taxes too, albeit only a few hundred Euros each. That said Spain cleverly taxes you every time you spend any money with their equivalent to vat (iva) currently set at 21%.

As for Hamilton, I'm not saying I blame him for avoiding paying tax by giving up his residency, it just pisses me off seeing him parading around with his Union Jack and using the National Anthem of the Country he's decided to turn his back on.

Personally I'm proud to be British and happy to pay my share of taxes albeit that it sometimes feels unfair paying tax on Pension Income, in that respect I much prefer the Spanish way of taxing what you spend which leads to far less tax avoidance.

Charnwood, have you noticed the Don's new location is the biggest Tax Haven known to mankind as ESSEX, kettle, black, comes to mind. :wink:

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:40 pm

Thinking back I payed far less tax myself when I lived in Essex!!!

Definitely a tax haven, John you're spot on.

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:52 pm

Charnwood wrote:Thinking back I payed far less tax myself when I lived in Essex!!!

well I have been back here for near on 2 years, I feel really guilty 8)

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:40 am

goldandblack wrote:
Charnwood wrote:Thinking back I payed far less tax myself when I lived in Essex!!!

well I have been back here for near on 2 years, I feel really guilty 8)

Nothing to feel guilty about living in Essex....
I lived there for 16yrs and had a great time. Both daughters are "Essex Girls" although strangely both now live in America.

The Don
Forum Hall of Famer

Post by The Don » Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:03 am

Fair comment Charnwood. I'm just playing devils advocate.

Is Essex considered a tax haven then? Well I never. I might have to start looking into that.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:38 pm

The Don wrote:Fair comment Charnwood. I'm just playing devils advocate.

Is Essex considered a tax haven then? Well I never. I might have to start looking into that.

I guessed that Don cos modern Spain is one of the the last places in Europe anyone would move to for tax avoidance.

20yrs ago maybe, but not anymore...