Bottoms Up!

A place to chat about anything thats not football related. Most of the threads in here are completely pointless which is why people keep coming back and back. As the forum title suggests, feel free to make any post you want on any subject you wish. It also has Adult jokes (so be warned) which is the other reason people keep coming back.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

number 9

Bottoms Up!

Post by number 9 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:31 pm

How much is a pint nowadays? What pub has the best pint of bitter? Who has the best basket meals? Just curious...I may be popping over the pond in the not too distant future.
Last edited by number 9 on Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

arana peligrosa

Re: Bottoms Up!

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:19 pm

Depends on what you order and where you order it. Suppose you arrive in London then stay away from the inner-city as prices are invariably costly and best bet would seek out an establishment that specializes in 'happy hour' deals. Last alcoholic drink purchased was some two years back and price was at around four fifty for Guinness so expect those prices to be raised considerably in the time since.

If you're after ales or bitter then seek out one that comes with a reliable brewery. You could get Greene King or Adnams at reasonable cost and some licensees will even let you sample before making a purchase. Try somewhere like The Good Pub Guide on-line to see an extensive selection of venues and tastes or for further assistance.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:46 pm

Thanks Jude, I'll mostly be frequenting pubs in Suffolk. Just trying to get an idea of where the best beverage-bargains are, and of course the best food. I'm sure everything is different now, since I visited 5 years ago.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:08 pm

number 9 wrote:...best basket meals
Can't speak for SoFuck as the last meal I had there was 17 years ago........, but if frequenting a Frankie & Bennys, you may not get basket food, but you'll certainly get a basket case serving you, getting orders wrong, bringing you warm beer and asking you every three f**king minutes, "is everything ok?"

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:55 pm

Bluemike is probably one of the best authorities on Suffolk beer as I've not drank ale over that way for a few years now. I've got fed up with drinking crap ale and switched to premium lagers like Draught San Miguel, Peroni, & Amstel etc all usually delivered at top quality but probably top dollar prices too.
Best ale for me in Suffolk would normally be from Adnams Brewery up the road from Ipswich. Average price of ale is probably just under £4 a pint and premium lager maybe close to £4.50.
I'm heading the other way next week and arrive in New York on Wednesday for a few days and then on to Westport, Connecticut for 10 days, any recommendations for drinking your side of the pond or should I just stick with the brands I know?

Basket Meals, I think you must have left the UK sometime ago cos I can't remember the last time I saw one of those on the menu board.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:47 pm

Haha yeah I'll always refer to pub food as 'basket meals'. Thanks for the tips. I do believe Adnams was one of the bitter's I enjoyed. Does Tetley still make a nice bitter?

As far as your visit goes, I mostly drink microbrews now Charny. I do drink Sam Adam's occasionally, and you'll probably find that on tap in Connecticut. I quite like SA lager. I have been to both New York and Connecticut, and I mostly remember how expensive it was. If you want to save a buck in NY, your best bet is local bagel shops for breakfast and pizza joints for lunch. Frequently there'll be 'pizza-wars' and you can find a giant slice of pizza for 50-cents. In Connecticut people always recommend the clam chowder and oysters. I'm not a fan of either, so I can't really say if their any good.

Hope you have a nice visit!

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:42 am

Tetley Brewery was closed in 2011 a few years after being taken over by Carlsberg. Some of it's operation was transferred to Banks Brewery in Wolverhampton and some to Northampton, there may well still be a Tetley Cask available but it certainly isn't the leading brand it was.

Certainly when I moved to Leeds in 1991 Tetley Bitter was the most drank beer in Yorkshire, and a wonderful pint it was too with a beautiful Guinness type head.

Looking forward to the trip to New York etc on Wednesday, just a shame the UK£ to US$ is trading so low which will make life even more expensive. Not a fan of clam chowder either but I do like Oysters so will give them a try and compare with with Colchester Oysters which are pretty special tho currently getting close to the end of the season.....

Remember .... never eat a Native Oyster when there's not an "R" in the month..