Most overrated album

A place to chat about anything thats not football related. Most of the threads in here are completely pointless which is why people keep coming back and back. As the forum title suggests, feel free to make any post you want on any subject you wish. It also has Adult jokes (so be warned) which is the other reason people keep coming back.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Andym

Most overrated album

Post by Andym » Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:45 am

I realise that at 62 I'm one of the older members, but I know there are others who are over 20...

I have a record collection of I guess about 2000 vinyl albums and a similar number of CDs, as I belong to an era where you actually bought and owned music.

Some albums are raved about as brilliant, others slagged off. I just played Mott The Hoople's Wildlife album, which was so much better than the reviews of the time suggested. But then I always liked Mott, and I still think the later, Bowie-rescued Mott were far better than Bowie himself.

But the one record I own that I can't sit through because it's so mind-numbingly awful (and I have quite a few like that) is Pink Floyd's "The Wall". I'm just pleased I didn't buy it; I have no idea how it crept into my collection. I've got lots of other Floyd (from Piper to Wish You Were Here) and like most of them (although UmmaGumma isn't among my favourites.)

Any other suggestions for overrated albums that are actually sh*te?

marko69
Global Moderator

Re: Most overrated album

Post by marko69 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:34 pm

Sorry, buddy. Not being awkward but The Wall is in my all time Top 10......., and the "live" version........, well that's just absolute class. Probably slightly biased as I'm a massive Pink Floyd, Roger Waters and David Gilmour fan. There is nothing better than an extended live version of Comfortably Numb. Raises the hair on the neck.

Must admit, I did not "get" David Bowie at all. I thought he was overrated and Shyte. And I actually still do. But what really irritates me more, is the people who claim to have been fans. One of my long time mates, never heard him mention Bowie in the 20 years I've known him, suddenly thought Bowie was the Messiah and "paved the way" for music after he died! Tit.

So anything by Bowie I'd consider overrated. The Beatles also. Not all obviously, but a lot of their stuff is Shyte and overrated.

Ohiotractorboy

Post by Ohiotractorboy » Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:08 pm

I agree with marko, I like The Wall.

I also have never understood the Bowie thing. The whole Ziggy Stardust thing really wasn't my cup of tea. I can probably throw U2 in with it, not necessarily their music but maybe because of the way they come off as way too arrogant to me.

If course, its all personal preference

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:03 pm

Not changing the subject, Andy, but can I add my most underrated album......., that'd be 1987's "Clutching at Straws" by Marillion. Absolute masterpiece of an album.

Andym

Post by Andym » Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:28 pm

marko69 wrote:Not changing the subject, Andy, but can I add my most underrated album......., that'd be 1987's "Clutching at Straws" by Marillion. Absolute masterpiece of an album.
That's an interesting one...the most underrated. I'll have to think about that one. :)

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Sep 17, 2016 1:29 pm

Hi Andy

Given your mid Suffolk location were you around or old enough to see Pink Floyd play at Stowmarket Cricket Ground in July 1967. As a 16yr old at the time who'd already seen most of the touring 60's bands like the Beatles, Rolling Stones, Jerry & The Pacemakers and The Kinks etc all at inside venues this was my first ever outdoor concert. The band were fairly newly formed and included Syd Barrett but was pre David Gilmour. They were the headline band and not surprisingly completely outshone all the bands that played before them, although I guess non of us there that Saturday evening would ever have dreamt how great Pink Floyd would become.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:21 pm

Hope you kept your ticket stub. ^^^^ Worth a fair few quid.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:43 pm

marko69 wrote:Hope you kept your ticket stub. ^^^^ Worth a fair few quid.

As far as I recall Marko it was free.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun Sep 18, 2016 1:47 am

Andym wrote:I realise that at 62 I'm one of the older members, but I know there are others who are over 20...

I have a record collection of I guess about 2000 vinyl albums and a similar number of CDs, as I belong to an era where you actually bought and owned music.

Some albums are raved about as brilliant, others slagged off. I just played Mott The Hoople's Wildlife album, which was so much better than the reviews of the time suggested. But then I always liked Mott, and I still think the later, Bowie-rescued Mott were far better than Bowie himself.

But the one record I own that I can't sit through because it's so mind-numbingly awful (and I have quite a few like that) is Pink Floyd's "The Wall". I'm just pleased I didn't buy it; I have no idea how it crept into my collection. I've got lots of other Floyd (from Piper to Wish You Were Here) and like most of them (although UmmaGumma isn't among my favourites.)

Any other suggestions for overrated albums that are actually sh*te?
You'd have to be of a certain age to remember Vinyl and kids today have been brought up in the digital age with little idea of past habits (no to mention what good music truly represents, not the sh*t they bring out now)

Last record I bought on Vinyl, f*ck I don't know, may have been 1992 or thereabouts but owned a number of albums before that time that were in so many words "appreciated more by other listeners"

Such examples :

The Beatles / Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band

Blondie / Parallel Lines

U2 / The Joshua Tree

Beach Boys / Pet Sounds

Michael Jackson / Thriller

Depeche Mode / Ultra

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Sep 18, 2016 4:31 pm

There really are not many people who can say they saw Pink Floyd with Syd Barrett in the line up. Please do not get Alzheimer's and forget that day, Charnwood. What a waste that would be.

I feel privileged that I got to see the best rock singer in history "live" on four separate occasions ......, and one of those gigs was front row!! The legend that was Ronnie James Dio.

To keep with the thread,......, there were no overrated Dio albums. All class!

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:09 pm

Massive PF fan as well.

Very different style post Roger Waters, particularly the most recent album which I found dull and over rated

Ohiotractorboy

Post by Ohiotractorboy » Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:46 am

Agree, old Pink Floyd is fine stuff.

Cant think of my most underrated album, to me the best album would be Pronounced Lynyrd Skynyrd. Tuesdays Gone, Gimme Three Steps, Simple Man, and Freebird are absolute rock classics and the rest of the album is just great kick a** blues rock. The fact it was turned down eight times makes you wonder what they were thinking.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:55 pm

Andym wrote:
marko69 wrote:Not changing the subject, Andy, but can I add my most underrated album......., that'd be 1987's "Clutching at Straws" by Marillion. Absolute masterpiece of an album.
That's an interesting one...the most underrated. I'll have to think about that one. :)
You given this some thought yet, Mr M?

Andym

Post by Andym » Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:03 pm

marko69 wrote:
Andym wrote:
You given this some thought yet, Mr M?
I keep meaning to. But forgetting (old age). Have to confess I don't know Clutching At Straws. The only Marillion I have is Misplaced Childhood. I'll try to dig through my collection next week.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:28 pm

Misplaced Childhood is = to, AWESOME! Put "side 2" on and raise to notch 10!

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:56 pm

Anything by Bruce Springsteen.

Ohiotractorboy

Post by Ohiotractorboy » Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:46 pm

number 9 wrote:Anything by Bruce Springsteen.
+100

Never figured out what people love about him

Andym

Post by Andym » Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:22 pm

Ohiotractorboy wrote:
number 9 wrote:Anything by Bruce Springsteen.
+100

Never figured out what people love about him
Nor me.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:45 am

Ok, make that 4 in a row.

Change the thread title; Bruce, you stinking rich millionaire,......., you suck!

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:44 pm

marko69 wrote:Ok, make that 4 in a row.

Change the thread title; Bruce, you stinking rich millionaire,......., you suck!
http://www.therichest.com/celebnetworth ... net-worth/

Holy Moly!...Bruce is a rich b*stard!...where's my cowbell?!

https://youtu.be/GCd0OjjCz88

herforder

Post by herforder » Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:58 pm

Frosty wrote:Massive PF fan as well.

Very different style post Roger Waters, particularly the most recent album which I found dull and over rated
Their first album, Piper at the Gates of Dawn, pre-dating the 60s fully blown psychedelic thing, but reflecting some of their live gig set -e.g. Astronomi Domini - still gets the occasional play. My original 60s vinyl is wearing pretty well, given that its been carted around the world over the years. At that time, don't think anyone thought that this College/ Art scene band would morph into mega stardom. The Syd B stuff only added to their charisma and, ultimately, cult status.

See Emily Play was probably their first chart hit - came from this album.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:11 pm

I dunno, I think Dark Side of the Moon is my favourite PF-EP. None of Floyd's albums were/are over rated imho.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:31 pm

That feckin clip just gets me every bloody time! :lol: :lol: :lol:

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:38 pm

marko69 wrote:That feckin clip just gets me every bloody time! :lol: :lol: :lol:
LOL! It will materialize every now & again, so don't block me like Jude did you! LOL! (I just turned 50 hence the apathy...)

Andym

Post by Andym » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:33 am

herforder wrote:
Their first album, Piper at the Gates of Dawn, pre-dating the 60s fully blown psychedelic thing, but reflecting some of their live gig set -e.g. Astronomi Domini - still gets the occasional play. My original 60s vinyl is wearing pretty well, given that its been carted around the world over the years. At that time, don't think anyone thought that this College/ Art scene band would morph into mega stardom. The Syd B stuff only added to their charisma and, ultimately, cult status.

Don't think so. I think it's first album appearance was on Relics. A great single though.

Still thinking about underrated albums....got a few in mind.

herforder

Post by herforder » Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:23 am

Andym wrote:
herforder wrote:

Don't think so. I think it's first album appearance was on Relics. A great single though.

Still thinking about underrated albums....got a few in mind.
Spot on. It was included on the LP''s US release. Interesting fact is that the album was recorded at Abbey Road in early 67, at the same time the Beatles were recording Sgt Pepper. Norman Smith, George Martin's assistant, produced the PF album.

Good exam question btw - very hard to answer, though, in terms of over and under! So much music, across all genres, over the decades to think about. However, and inviting Armageddon, I don't rate Sgt Pepper particularly highly - and this from a Beatles' nerd. Much better musically and technically were Rubber Soul, Revolver and Abbey Road. John Lennon felt the same!

An under rated rascal is Some Fantatsic Place, by Squeeze. Download the title track and be prepared for an emotional journey!

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:34 pm

No Armageddon-like apocalypses from me here, Herford; the Sgt Pepper album is sh*t. Massively overrated.

herforder

Post by herforder » Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:24 pm

Can't agree it was total pants - but certainly over indulgent and massively over produced, with a number of at best average tracks. For me, it was partly saved by JL's A Day in the Life, which was the single standout.

The album's cult status was more to do with the whole 1967 Summer of Love thing. The media grasped it with both hands, and held it up to be the representation of all that was happening at that time - social change, music changing, free love, and the sun was always shining. It gave a sense of optimism, and got beneath the skin of those seeking something better - although not necessarily realising what that was. It was a catalyst for change, and set some sort of benchmark for the likes of Brian Wilson to try and better.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:42 pm

Oh my God ^^^^^ really?

Listened to it as a teenager as my brother bought it for some strange reason; thought it was sh*t then. And more recently, on a camping trip with the wife's work colleagues, someone put it on their iPod thing through a speaker......, I quietly thought, "That's still sh*t!"

I certainly didn't realise it meant as much to life as what you wrote up there. ^^^ Early 60's must've been dire times if this music symbolised "optimism".

herforder

Post by herforder » Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:16 pm

You really had to be around at that time to appreciate the impact it had. From a musical point of view, this band that had generated world-wide mass hysteria - nothing has matched it since - had in four years progressed from 4 likeable Scouse mop-tops, playing catchy 3 chord songs, to producing what was seen by some as a life changing piece of work. That's really how it was.

As for the early 60's - groups in Liverpool, Manchester, London and Newcastle were producing stuff that was a million miles away from the music their parents listened to, and fuelled the thirst for change that the next generation wanted. The colour changed from black and white to technicolor, and that music continues to influence right through to what kids are listening to today.