RIP 007

A place to chat about anything thats not football related. Most of the threads in here are completely pointless which is why people keep coming back and back. As the forum title suggests, feel free to make any post you want on any subject you wish. It also has Adult jokes (so be warned) which is the other reason people keep coming back.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Post Reply
User avatar
marko69
Global Moderator
Posts: 18931
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:16 am
Location: Somewhere between here and there.

RIP 007

Post by marko69 » Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:41 pm

My God. Don't ever get choked up with celeb death but this one tugged on the heart strings slightly. Especially seeing the wife cry her eyes out and hearing that my mother was likewise extremely upset. Not good at all.

RIP Sean Connery. The one and only 007 in my humble opinion.

User avatar
saint jude
Posts: 9146
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:41 pm

Re: RIP 007

Post by saint jude » Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:12 pm

I met Sean at Earls Court London in the 1980's, a helpful and engaging individual it were a privilege to be in the company of such acclaim. Couldn't believe the news of passing, takes a moment to comprehend things of this nature. Was 90 years old, died at home in the Bahamas early this morning, wish I could have had the opportunity to speak again. Moore and Connery both no longer with us, Tim Dalton was for me the best portrayal of Flemings character although many would disagree.

Going to take a viewing of Connery's movies at a later date, would seem too upsetting or inappropriate at present time but what a selection to choose from. Yes he's first and foremost James Bond but you got acclaimed performances in say The Untouchables, Anderson Tapes, Name of the Rose, The Rock, Entrapment, Marnie et cetera.

Great ambassador for Scotland, worked tirelessly to get independence for the country, a real patriot. Today we lost another great name in film and television but the memories and showcasing will always be there. Rest in Peace Sir Sean, you were a great name in the field of movie making and submitted so much to the James Bond name and franchise.

Image

User avatar
marko69
Global Moderator
Posts: 18931
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:16 am
Location: Somewhere between here and there.

Re: RIP 007

Post by marko69 » Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:22 pm

You've chosen my second favourite Bond film after Dr.No....., From Russia with Love. Brilliant film.

You can judge how massive he was in the industry and the enormity of his death just by the comments of the younger generation. My own kids (60 years his junior) in shock that he's dead and texting me this morning! Was like a family member had died.

User avatar
number 9
Posts: 3297
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:35 pm

Re: RIP 007

Post by number 9 » Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:22 pm

Another generational icon passes. Very sad to hear the news, but unfortunately such is life. He was called Mr Universe, Mr Bond, and now RIP Mr Connery.

User avatar
Frosty
Forum Owner
Posts: 3246
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2008 3:46 am

Re: RIP 007

Post by Frosty » Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:03 pm

My favourite actor of all time as well, what a legend.

RIP Sir Sean.

User avatar
Charnwood
Global Moderator
Posts: 13303
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:25 pm
Location: Moraira, Spain.

Re: RIP 007

Post by Charnwood » Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:54 pm

I’m with Marko on this one, Sean Connery was definitely the one & only real James Bond and a true legend in his industry.

RIP Sean Connery (1930 - 2020)

User avatar
saint jude
Posts: 9146
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:41 pm

Re: RIP 007

Post by saint jude » Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:18 am

One thing that grinds about James Bond is that he's supposed to be a Secret Agent, except he never fails to introduce himself or goes about telling everyone who he is. Kind of defeats the purpose.

Also Bond is supposed to be an English agent except in the film franchise has been portrayed by a Scot, an Australian, a Welshman and Irishman. You get talk often about the possibility of a female or colored Bond, no offense to anything but seriously, it would tarnish the name beyond redemption if such a thing were to occur.

Could talk James Bond for hours. Seen every release, read a few of the books, seen a good many titles on theater release. Know just about every character the franchise has thrown out. Been a fan for more years than can remember. Stands to reason today's news was something of an upset.

Did you know Ian Fleming was once so intoxicated his house burned down around him and he wasn't even aware. (Also) The James Bond name came from an ornithology book that was on Fleming's coffee table. Once resided at a place called Goldeneye in the Bahamas, hence the movie release in the 1990s. So many facts and trivia you really need a place to accommodate it.

User avatar
number 9
Posts: 3297
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:35 pm

Re: RIP 007

Post by number 9 » Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:57 pm

I thought you guys would be interested in this:

https://currently.att.yahoo.com/att/jam ... _test=1_11

User avatar
marko69
Global Moderator
Posts: 18931
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:16 am
Location: Somewhere between here and there.

Re: RIP 007

Post by marko69 » Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:08 pm

From a COMPLETELY, 100% non racist point of view, ——-> no to Idris. My issue in the sense that I like characters to stick to the original written words. Ian Fleming made him who he is and that’s who he should be.

Same if they remade Axel Foley and tried to make Tom Cruise play the part.
NO! Would need to be Eddie himself again or indeed Idris. It’s not racist in the slightest.

User avatar
Charnwood
Global Moderator
Posts: 13303
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:25 pm
Location: Moraira, Spain.

Re: RIP 007

Post by Charnwood » Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:12 pm

.... and after a black 007 the next will be gay and the next a female. When will all this PC bullshit come to an end.

User avatar
number 9
Posts: 3297
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:35 pm

Re: RIP 007

Post by number 9 » Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:38 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:12 pm
.... and after a black 007 the next will be gay and the next a female. When will all this PC bullshit come to an end.
Don’t forget the trans Bond...00?

User avatar
Charnwood
Global Moderator
Posts: 13303
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:25 pm
Location: Moraira, Spain.

Re: RIP 007

Post by Charnwood » Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:42 pm

number 9 wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:38 pm
Charnwood wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:12 pm
.... and after a black 007 the next will be gay and the next a female. When will all this PC bullshit come to an end.
Don’t forget the trans Bond...00?

Doesn’t it just drive you crazy 🤯 when will it come to an end.

User avatar
number 9
Posts: 3297
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:35 pm

Re: RIP 007

Post by number 9 » Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:04 am

Charnwood wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:42 pm
number 9 wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:38 pm
Charnwood wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:12 pm
.... and after a black 007 the next will be gay and the next a female. When will all this PC bullshit come to an end.
Don’t forget the trans Bond...00?

Doesn’t it just drive you crazy 🤯 when will it come to an end.
I just remember a much simpler life, Charny. A few pints & a nice pub meal. Maybe a little football & politics banter. God I miss those days.

User avatar
marko69
Global Moderator
Posts: 18931
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:16 am
Location: Somewhere between here and there.

Re: RIP 007

Post by marko69 » Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:06 am

:lol: Really wasn't meaning to start the "pc" thing, but the list had Idris in it and I just wouldn't enjoy seeing the character James Bond being anything other than a white guy. Why that needs to be deemed racist by some is insane. Let's have Matt Damon playing Huggy Bear down the ghettos if they make a Starsky & Hutch 2! :lol:

User avatar
number 9
Posts: 3297
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:35 pm

Re: RIP 007

Post by number 9 » Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:13 am

marko69 wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:06 am
:lol: Really wasn't meaning to start the "pc" thing, but the list had Idris in it and I just wouldn't enjoy seeing the character James Bond being anything other than a white guy. Why that needs to be deemed racist by some is insane. Let's have Matt Damon playing Huggy Bear down the ghettos if they make a Starsky & Hutch 2! :lol:
...or an Aussie playing William Wallace! :lol:

User avatar
marko69
Global Moderator
Posts: 18931
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:16 am
Location: Somewhere between here and there.

Re: RIP 007

Post by marko69 » Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:22 am

number 9 wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:13 am
marko69 wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:06 am
:lol: Really wasn't meaning to start the "pc" thing, but the list had Idris in it and I just wouldn't enjoy seeing the character James Bond being anything other than a white guy. Why that needs to be deemed racist by some is insane. Let's have Matt Damon playing Huggy Bear down the ghettos if they make a Starsky & Hutch 2! :lol:
...or an Aussie playing William Wallace! :lol:
AYE!! Billy Connolly was well peed off! :lol:

User avatar
saint jude
Posts: 9146
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:41 pm

Re: RIP 007

Post by saint jude » Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:59 am

Gibson is American. Frequent misconception he's Australian. Born in the US amazing how many still get it incorrect.

R.e. the colored Bond issue, even if they went with it I'd still go to theaters to see releases. Wouldnt want much to do with it, it,s not so much race issues its simply everything that goes against the franchise and how it should be. If they do ever go with a female lead may just give it a miss though. You got to realize when you've taken things a step too far.

User avatar
number 9
Posts: 3297
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:35 pm

Re: RIP 007

Post by number 9 » Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:52 pm

saint jude wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:59 am
Gibson is American. Frequent misconception he's Australian. Born in the US amazing how many still get it incorrect.

R.e. the colored Bond issue, even if they went with it I'd still go to theaters to see releases. Wouldnt want much to do with it, it,s not so much race issues its simply everything that goes against the franchise and how it should be. If they do ever go with a female lead may just give it a miss though. You got to realize when you've taken things a step too far.
That's right, Jude! I always forget he's American.

I also believe James Bond should be British and Caucasian. Like others have said it's nothing to do with race, it's keeping with the original Ian Fleming script and plot. Conversely, I wouldn't mind if a sidebar story evolved with different characters or agents to continue the legacy. J.J. Abrams is well known for recreating Star Trek as an example.

User avatar
marko69
Global Moderator
Posts: 18931
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:16 am
Location: Somewhere between here and there.

Re: RIP 007

Post by marko69 » Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:50 pm

number 9 wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:52 pm
I also believe James Bond should be British and Caucasian.
And have a d!ck.

Regarding the female Bond scenario....... is this something you guys are speculating on?
Or have there been real Hollywood discussions about a female playing the lead role in a f**king JAMES Bond movie?

User avatar
number 9
Posts: 3297
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:35 pm

Re: RIP 007

Post by number 9 » Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:57 pm

Yes, and male. I have heard rumours about a female taking the role. A certain black-female actress was named.

User avatar
marko69
Global Moderator
Posts: 18931
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:16 am
Location: Somewhere between here and there.

Re: RIP 007

Post by marko69 » Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:03 pm

number 9 wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:57 pm
Yes, and male. I have heard rumours about a female taking the role. A certain black-female actress was named.
That is just horrendous. That’d be getting Geoffrey Boycotted.

User avatar
number 9
Posts: 3297
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:35 pm

Re: RIP 007

Post by number 9 » Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:05 pm

I found this article from July 2019:
https://www.theguardian.com/film/2019/j ... niel-craig

User avatar
marko69
Global Moderator
Posts: 18931
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:16 am
Location: Somewhere between here and there.

Re: RIP 007

Post by marko69 » Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:14 pm

In that piece, 9 at the end......Barbara Broccoli says “there will NEVER be a female Bond.”

Nice one, Babs 👏👏👏👏

User avatar
marko69
Global Moderator
Posts: 18931
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:16 am
Location: Somewhere between here and there.

Re: RIP 007

Post by marko69 » Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:15 pm

Just read, Charlie Sheen to play the new Wonder Woman?

Ah damn....... the link won’t work . :astroll:

User avatar
number 9
Posts: 3297
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:35 pm

Re: RIP 007

Post by number 9 » Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:25 pm

marko69 wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:14 pm
In that piece, 9 at the end......Barbara Broccoli says “there will NEVER be a female Bond.”

Nice one, Babs 👏👏👏👏
Yes I saw that, but you know that doesn't really mean anything.

User avatar
saint jude
Posts: 9146
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:41 pm

Re: RIP 007

Post by saint jude » Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:53 pm

Like Jorge Valdano saying they (Real Madrid) would never sign Beckham in 2003. Categorically and without doubt. Three weeks later they bought the media whore. Guess some things are meant to be. People maintained you could never run a four minute mile, man walks on the moon's surface et cetera.

They (ever) go with a female colored Bond and that's it shall just lose interest fast. They'll lose a large percentage of the fanbase. Near 60 years of tradition and integrity will instantly be blown to sh*t. CGI introduction almost killed it but at least Daniel Craig has restored the character to the traits and envisage of how it should be. Still think Dalton was nearest to the Fleming creation but Craig has run it close.

Post Reply