The Alternative Football Club Thread

A place to chat about anything thats not football related. Most of the threads in here are completely pointless which is why people keep coming back and back. As the forum title suggests, feel free to make any post you want on any subject you wish. It also has Adult jokes (so be warned) which is the other reason people keep coming back.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: The Alternative Football Club Thread

Post by Bluemike » Sun Aug 06, 2023 9:04 am

Well that's the Scottish Premier League over for another season, congratulations to Celtic.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun Aug 06, 2023 6:58 pm

but how many away teams in the SPL score two at Parkead. Particularly one the size of Ross County. All right they got the win as expected but guess some level of complacency crept in at one point or another during game time, in that they took their eye of the ball or didn't show the opposition maybe enough respect.

Kilmarnock getting a win were a surprise but it's only one game in, one round of fixtures. You can't assume much or nothing at such early stage.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Aug 06, 2023 8:08 pm

You can definitely assume, Saint. It’ll be between the Tims & Sevco Buns and they’ve (buns) gave the hooped fkrs a 3pt start.

Predictable and shyte. Since the 70s. 🤦‍♂️

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Mon Aug 07, 2023 2:51 am

Since 1986 actually.

You know and I know there were some real fun times in the immediate years before with Aberdeen dominating the League Championship, hell even Dundee United took away the top prize on occasion.

Enter Albert Kidd and the whole dimension of the game changed there. You won't abide the idea but wonder sometimes had Heart of Midlothian got the point they needed at Dens Park that day and the aforementioned player had not been involved, how would the pattern of future League Titles lined out in the years ahead.

Maybe reading too much into one incident or game. It's all kind of hypothetical now. Immaterial even.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Aug 07, 2023 9:38 am

They were sponsored by MITA Copiers.

They MITA won the league …… and they MITA won the cup 7 days later……. But they won fk all. 👍👌 A joke no Hibee will ever forget.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Fri Aug 11, 2023 3:22 pm

Hibernian got a win against a team I can't recall by three goals to one last night and now on the verge of a play-off with Aston Villa if correct. It looks like both club names could face off in the near future.

Qualification tie for one of the lesser European comps. Point being even for neutrals that sounds like something of an enthralling event over two games. If the Edinburgh team could vanquish them over two games that could really send out a message. Kind of looking ahead to the possibility of such an encounter.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sun Aug 13, 2023 1:16 pm

Always interested to hear of people's interest in other clubs. Be it another league club or the local scene!

For me personally Wymondham (pronounced Windum) Town are my local team, as I know I've mentioned before. After having very few chances to see them over recent seasons, I decided to head down to watch their first league game in the Anglian Combination Division One against Kirkley & Pakefield Reserves! A Norfolk v Suffolk encounter resulting in a 5-0 home drubbing for my team!

Norfolk 0 Suffolk 1 (let's hope Suffolk's premier side can add to that tally in December!).

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Sun Aug 13, 2023 8:58 pm

AzzurroMark wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2023 1:16 pm
Always interested to hear of people's interest in other clubs. Be it another league club or the local scene!

For me personally Wymondham (pronounced Windum) Town are my local team, as I know I've mentioned before. After having very few chances to see them over recent seasons, I decided to head down to watch their first league game in the Anglian Combination Division One against Kirkley & Pakefield Reserves! A Norfolk v Suffolk encounter resulting in a 5-0 home drubbing for my team!

Norfolk 0 Suffolk 1 (let's hope Suffolk's premier side can add to that tally in December!).
My Bro inlaw had a pub in Wymondham back in the day, Always remember staying there the weekend of March 6, 1987, think it was called the Railway ?

only reason i know the date was a friend and his wife told us they were going on a ferry that weekend to Zeebrugge for a quid a ticket,(via the Sun) and asked if we wanted to go, We couldn't because we had arranged to stay in Wymondham.
they cancelled the trip unknown to us, then on the news was the shock the ferry they had booked sank, MS Herald of Free Enterprise.

seemed ages before we found out the were not on it,

So Wymondham has always been special to us, could have saved our lives, 8)

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sun Aug 13, 2023 10:10 pm

goldandblack wrote:
Sun Aug 13, 2023 8:58 pm
AzzurroMark wrote:

My Bro inlaw had a pub in Wymondham back in the day, Always remember staying there the weekend of March 6, 1987, think it was called the Railway ?

only reason i know the date was a friend and his wife told us they were going on a ferry that weekend to Zeebrugge for a quid a ticket,(via the Sun) and asked if we wanted to go, We couldn't because we had arranged to stay in Wymondham.
they cancelled the trip unknown to us, then on the news was the shock the ferry they had booked sank, MS Herald of Free Enterprise.

seemed ages before we found out the were not on it,

So Wymondham has always been special to us, could have saved our lives, 8)
Wow, that is some story. I remember that disaster well, I can still visualise the red & white ferry on its side :shock:!

I live barely a stones throw from the Railway pub, just a 3 minute walk!

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Aug 14, 2023 9:17 am

arana peligrosa wrote:
Fri Aug 11, 2023 3:22 pm
Hibernian got a win against a team I can't recall by three goals to one last night and now on the verge of a play-off with Aston Villa if correct. It looks like both club names could face off in the near future.

Qualification tie for one of the lesser European comps. Point being even for neutrals that sounds like something of an enthralling event over two games. If the Edinburgh team could vanquish them over two games that could really send out a message. Kind of looking ahead to the possibility of such an encounter.
Its a very grey area amongst Hibs fans this one, Saint. Yes, great to play in the more glamour ties, but its dangerous for Hibs. The possibility of being spanked 10-1 on Aggregate by Aston Villa worries many fans……., I am currently in Malmo at my sons week long wedding celebrations. He has A LOT of Hearts supporting pals, (we both do)…… the constant reminder of the 7-0 Malmo loss a few years back has been relentless, albeit quite funny.

Fans do fear a possible & memorable spanking taking place. Hopefully the team, if they get past Luzern (not over yet) can do themselves proud vs Villa. Certainly better than they did vs Motherwell on Saturday.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Tue Aug 15, 2023 12:34 am

I wonder on occasion if we had won the League instead of them back in '81 would we have gone on to be European Champions like they did the year after. I don't recall them beating any stand-out opposition on route other than Munich in the Final.

Game for game, opponent for opponent, all through the rounds with the players we had and what would have been Robson's final season in charge. I don't mind them so much winning the damn thing (other than ourselves) but they won it with one of the worst goals scored in the history of competition.

Could have been a Brazil spectacular or a Mariner special but Withe just fumbled it into goal for them from almost on the line. All right they got the victory but that that strike (that accomplished so much) deserved non-league Conference South status, not the showpiece event of Europe.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Aug 16, 2023 5:16 pm

Anyone on here been to Scandinavia? They know how to get things done here. Everything works like clockwork in both Sweden & Denmark. (Not doing Norway or Finland)
Roads, cleanliness, public services etc etc. All infinitely better than the UK.

Must be the same at a soccer level. People say, “Denmark won the Euros in 92, they’re same population as Scotland…… why not Scotland?”

That question is self explanatory when you visit these places. Things get done properly at all levels it seems.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Aug 17, 2023 9:28 am

Never been Marko but I have heard everything is done with precision timing.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Aug 17, 2023 2:32 pm

Yep, precision timing for all public services, and no potholes. None! 🤷‍♂️
The wedding last saturday was in Svedala, 12 miles outside Malmo…… 8 of us in a hired cab from our hotel……… roads were smooth as a snooker table all the way. This week is also Malmos equivalent of the Edinburgh Fringe festival. Loads to do and see.

Just so happens its Copenhagen Pride Week also and the place is absolutely mobbed with plenty “live” music all over the city…….. but its all like we’re in a different dimension. No drunkenness, no loud people kicking about. It’s superb.

Me & the Mrs definitely coming back to Copenhagen in the future. Always wanted to retire to Sicily……. Could be changing my mind and opting for here in København.

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Sun Aug 20, 2023 8:58 pm

marko69 wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2023 2:32 pm
Yep, precision timing for all public services, and no potholes. None! 🤷‍♂️
The wedding last saturday was in Svedala, 12 miles outside Malmo…… 8 of us in a hired cab from our hotel……… roads were smooth as a snooker table all the way. This week is also Malmos equivalent of the Edinburgh Fringe festival. Loads to do and see.

Just so happens its Copenhagen Pride Week also and the place is absolutely mobbed with plenty “live” music all over the city…….. but its all like we’re in a different dimension. No drunkenness, no loud people kicking about. It’s superb.

Me & the Mrs definitely coming back to Copenhagen in the future. Always wanted to retire to Sicily……. Could be changing my mind and opting for here in København.
if that's the parodical son that supports Arsenal then snap, My parodical son that supports Arsenal got married a couple of weeks ago, Congratulations to the happy couple and proud parents. 8)

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Aug 21, 2023 9:13 am

Aye man, the Hibs Gooner married last Saturday in Malmo……. Svedala to be more accurate. The most unique wedding we’ve ever been to. And having all of Scotty boys buddies there, (most of them 29 years old now) was just the best ever. An absolute ball of a day. 👍👌

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Aug 21, 2023 9:35 am

AzzurroMark wrote:

Forfar Athletic are my "other team" I've followed them since the very early 70's when they were literally the worst team in Scotland, hence my interest. For many years I wrote to the then programme editor David Mcgregor who sent me the programme after every home game, over the years I tracked down all the old programmes too until I had every Forfar home programme that has ever been printed.

David went in to become board member, treasurer and indeed chairman but still kept in touch throughout. I met him on one occasion when I made the trip to Station Park to see my beloved "Loons" defeat Clyde 4-2, I recall Owen Coyle being with Clyde at the time.

There has been some great times following the Scottish minnows, none more so than the League Cup Semi final in 78" when we led Rangers 2-1 with only 7 minutes to go, European football was that close, sadly we failed to hang on, another time in the Scottish Cup we drew 0-0 again with Rangers and had an absolute stone wall penalty refused, its still talked about today.

There have been many highs and probably more lows but they still remain very close to my heart and I look for their results before anyone else's. They will always be my "Other team"

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Mon Aug 21, 2023 3:45 pm

marko69 wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2023 9:13 am
Aye man, the Hibs Gooner married last Saturday in Malmo……. Svedala to be more accurate. The most unique wedding we’ve ever been to. And having all of Scotty boys buddies there, (most of them 29 years old now) was just the best ever. An absolute ball of a day. 👍👌
Sounds like a great day and well done,.
We didn't have to go quite so far as Malmo for our Goone son, in fact it was only about 8 miles if you take the scenic route 8)
but like you was great to see all his friends from his teens, funny thing when he left home and moved to work in Stoke most of his mates still came round ours regularly and still do. but now with their own little people lol.

Glad you had a great time,

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Aug 21, 2023 7:33 pm

goldandblack wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2023 3:45 pm
marko69 wrote:
We didn't have to go quite so far as Malmo for our Goone son, in fact it was only about 8 miles if you take the scenic route 8)
but like you was great to see all his friends from his teens, funny thing when he left home and moved to work in Stoke most of his mates still came round ours regularly and still do. but now with their own little people lol.

True story from the past, Wolfie. His Best Man, Jamie, (jambo) used to stay over all those years ago. He was about 8 years old when he started to stay over to play FIFA, (before it was an online thing)
He was always on the shy side but equally quite cheeky. :lol:
This one Friday night:

Me: “We’re getting a chinese Jamie, you want something?”
Jamie: “Oh no, I really can’t. Too expensive.”
Me: “Its only a chinese, Jamie. What do you want?”
Jamie: “Well ok, if you’re sure. Chicken Fried Rice please.”
No worries

Chinese gets delivered.

Jamie: “Aw for Gods sake, you didnae get Prawn Crackers?? JUST JOKING, MARK!!”

Cheeky wee sh*te. He told that story again last weekend. :lol:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Aug 21, 2023 7:37 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2023 9:35 am
AzzurroMark wrote:

Forfar Athletic are my "other team" I've followed them since the very early 70's when they were literally the worst team in Scotland, hence my interest. For many years I wrote to the then programme editor David Mcgregor who sent me the programme after every home game, over the years I tracked down all the old programmes too until I had every Forfar home programme that has ever been printed.

David went in to become board member, treasurer and indeed chairman but still kept in touch throughout. I met him on one occasion when I made the trip to Station Park to see my beloved "Loons" defeat Clyde 4-2, I recall Owen Coyle being with Clyde at the time.

There has been some great times following the Scottish minnows, none more so than the League Cup Semi final in 78" when we led Rangers 2-1 with only 7 minutes to go, European football was that close, sadly we failed to hang on, another time in the Scottish Cup we drew 0-0 again with Rangers and had an absolute stone wall penalty refused, its still talked about today.

There have been many highs and probably more lows but they still remain very close to my heart and I look for their results before anyone else's. They will always be my "Other team"
The corruption surrounding the Old Firm is quite incredible.

You heard the one about Berwick beating the now defunct Rangers FC?
John Greig went to ref and said, “Give us another few minutes, Ref.”
Ref replied, “Ive already given you an extra 5.”
🤦‍♂️
Thats on the record. Was in some documemtary years ago.

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Mon Aug 21, 2023 8:27 pm

marko69 wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2023 7:33 pm
goldandblack wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2023 3:45 pm
marko69 wrote:

True story from the past, Wolfie. His Best Man, Jamie, (jambo) used to stay over all those years ago. He was about 8 years old when he started to stay over to play FIFA, (before it was an online thing)
He was always on the shy side but equally quite cheeky. :lol:
This one Friday night:

Me: “We’re getting a chinese Jamie, you want something?”
Jamie: “Oh no, I really can’t. Too expensive.”
Me: “Its only a chinese, Jamie. What do you want?”
Jamie: “Well ok, if you’re sure. Chicken Fried Rice please.”
No worries

Chinese gets delivered.

Jamie: “Aw for Gods sake, you didnae get Prawn Crackers?? JUST JOKING, MARK!!”

Cheeky wee sh*te. He told that story again last weekend. :lol:
:lol: Good memories,

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Wed Aug 23, 2023 2:13 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2023 9:35 am

Thank you. I had often wondered where the link may have came from.

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Fri Sep 08, 2023 1:43 pm

What a terrible illness. MND, Motor Neurone Disease
https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/fo ... -with-mnd/

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001q89y
Wishing you all the best John and all your family.

John Pender on his battle with MND: ‘I can’t play with my grandchildren – but that’s life, I’m getting on with it’ - The Athletic
BBC iPlayer - Garden Rescue - Series 8: 22. Muxton

https://www.molineuxmix.co.uk/forum/ind ... ue.723782/

John Pender, who made more than 100 appearances for Wolves and over 200 for Burnley, was diagnosed with motor neurone disease back in 2020, and supporters of both sides have been raising funds to help his family give him a quality of life.
https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/fo ... hn-pender/

Family of former Clarets captain John Pender 'overwhelmed' by support in wake of motor neurone disease diagnosis

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:30 pm

50 Plus Years ago, to be repeated,

1973 Wolves v Coventry City FA Cup QTR Final

worth a watch, COYW

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUijV39-P8c

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:05 am

Great stuff , Wolfe.

In the days where players looked older than yer grandad :lol: (who is that on the right?)

40 pence to get in! BARGAIN!

Didn't realise Dennis Mortimer had played for Coventry.

...... And check out that Ford Cortina ad ...... AWESOME! One of my uncles customised one of those beauties back in the day. What a car.

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:07 pm

marko69 wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:05 am
Great stuff , Wolfe.

In the days where players looked older than yer grandad :lol: (who is that on the right?)

40 pence to get in! BARGAIN!

Didn't realise Dennis Mortimer had played for Coventry.

...... And check out that Ford Cortina ad ...... AWESOME! One of my uncles customised one of those beauties back in the day. What a car.
I remember when it was 6d (2½p) to get on the North Bank, the 2 players are King John Richards and on the right is the Doog, Derek Dougan,

Also playing for Coventry was Willie Carr who played for us fo many years,

I had the Mk 1-2- 3 and 4 Cortina's. and the Granada Scorpion, over the years, the Mark 1 was my fav, all great cars.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Mar 02, 2024 12:37 am

goldandblack wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:07 pm
I had the Mk 1-2- 3 and 4 Cortina's. and the Granada Scorpion, over the years, the Mark 1 was my fav, all great cars.
Aw man, that is superb. That mk1 was an absolute cracker of a car.

Mauswara

Post by Mauswara » Sat Mar 02, 2024 4:23 am

marko69 wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 12:37 am
goldandblack wrote:

Mk.3 for me.

You did occasionally have to get out, open the bonnet and tap the solenoid with a small spanner before they would start, but otherwise bulletproof.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Mar 02, 2024 2:03 pm

Mauswara wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 4:23 am
marko69 wrote:
goldandblack wrote:

Mk.3 for me.

You did occasionally have to get out, open the bonnet and tap the solenoid with a small spanner before they would start, but otherwise bulletproof.
👍👌

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Sat Mar 02, 2024 7:23 pm

Mauswara wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2024 4:23 am
marko69 wrote:
goldandblack wrote:

Mk.3 for me.

See the price of them today USED. 1963 Lotus Cortina Mk1 FIA Race Car…..£79.995
Mine was just a bog standard White 15.000cc ? although had a few go faster strips on it, but still worth a few pennies,

https://www.carandclassic.com/list/29/cortina/