The Alternative Football Club Thread

A place to chat about anything thats not football related. Most of the threads in here are completely pointless which is why people keep coming back and back. As the forum title suggests, feel free to make any post you want on any subject you wish. It also has Adult jokes (so be warned) which is the other reason people keep coming back.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Bluemike
Global Moderator

The Alternative Football Club Thread

Post by Bluemike » Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:08 am

Can't say I am sorry at this news, just wasn't working and hasn't done the entire 17 months he has been in charge, a good bloke yes but a poor manager, The thing that really pisses me off is the timing of it, fighting for our lives and a big cup game looming.....thanks Stuart.

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/f ... -athletic/

The Loons manager handed in his resignation along with his backroom staff after Thursday night’s 3-0 defeat at Clyde – a result that left them five points adrift at the bottom of League One and six behind the Bully Wee in eighth place.

With a hectic fixture schedule on the cards, Forfar’s thoughts will turn immediately to appointing a successor to Malcom, whose managerial reign at Station Park lasted 17 months.

An update is expected from the club later on Friday.

A Forfar statement said: “Following last night’s 3-0 defeat at Broadwood, manager Stuart Malcolm and his assistants Barry Sellars and Martyn Fotheringham contacted the chairman to intimate that they were resigning from their posts with immediate effect.

“The directors had no option but to reluctantly accept their decisions, but are disappointed with the timing, especially taking into account the hectic schedule of games the club have ahead of them especially in the next seven days and beyond.

“The board of directors would like to put on record their sincere thanks to Stuart, Barry and Martyn for their hard work on behalf of the club since their appointment in 2019.

“The club hope to be able to provide supporters with a further statement/update on the situation later in the day.”

Writing on Twitter, Malcolm said: “I want to thank Forfar Athletic for the opportunity to manage the club I spent many years (with) as a player.

“But with a heavy heart I resigned from my duties at the conclusion of the game last night along with my two assistants Martyn Fotheringham and Barry Sellars.

“I want to thank them both for their amazing support and incredible commitment throughout our time.

“Further thanks are extended to sports scientist Mark Farrell, goalkeeper coach Wayne Henderson, physio Lara Jordan and scout Martin Christie who all worked tirelessly in everything I asked.

“Thank you to all the football people who supported me being aware of the injury crisis and supporters who gave me their backing with a (sense of) realism (about) where we are.

“Last but certainly not least huge thanks to the players who I had a great relationship with. They never stopped running or trying for us.

“I wish Forfar nothing but success.”

Tangfastic

Re: The Alternative Football Club Thread

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:35 am

Who or what are the “Bully Wee”?

Bit of Googling and it’s Clyde. Just learnt something.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:23 am

yep, strange nickname for sure.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:52 pm

Not sure why this topic is in the “General Chat For Everything Non Football Related” section of the forum , or is it restricted to Scottish football in which case it’s probably in the right place. 😂😂😂.

Seriously boys I think it should be in the General Football Chat area.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:11 pm

That is actually quite funny......, football thread in NON football and as Charnwood says; probably mainly Scottish football :lol: :lol: .

Go for it, Saint Jude. Remind us all just how pish we are up here. But, NEVER forget, ....., We (Scottish people) love it.

Great thread, will enjoy it immensely.

Faith in Forfar bouncing back, even if they go down. Hard game today v East Fife. A very "hard" team, tough tackles will not be in short supply.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:36 pm

What a result for 10 man Leeds @ Manc Shitty. Coupon burster for many I'd imagine.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:45 pm

My draw pick today is in your neck of the woods Marko, St Johnston v Aberdeen, what chances that one ?

My other bet is a 5/1 Special with Ladbrokes; Norwich, Celtic and Athletic Bilbao all to win. Just seen they’ve reduced the odds to 7/2 so I’ve got a decent price but as we know there’s always one that screws up.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:50 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:36 pm
What a result for 10 man Leeds @ Manc Shitty. Coupon burster for many I'd imagine.
I did a small bet on the draw and bloody resisted cashing out ffs, thinking Man City may score but those tossers score instead !!!

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:52 pm

I'd say the Saints to win v The Dons. And I love Stuart Cosgrove on Talksport up here (funny guy) and he's a major Saints fan.

Norwich are a good as promoted today if they win @ Derby , sooooo, hmmmm! :D I mean, I do hope your bet comes in, but FK NORWICH!!

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:05 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:52 pm
I'd say the Saints to win v The Dons. And I love Stuart Cosgrove on Talksport up here (funny guy) and he's a major Saints fan.

Norwich are a good as promoted today if they win @ Derby , sooooo, hmmmm! :D I mean, I do hope your bet comes in, but FK NORWICH!!
Ladbrokes choose the games Marko, all I decided was whether or not to take the odds, but to me they looked fairly attractive. Norwich did drop a point at Preston on Good Friday so they could be vulnerable but as we know it’s not always the most likely team that lets you down eg Man City v Leeds today. I didn’t expect Swansea to thrash Millwall at lunchtime either.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:30 pm

I think this is a very astute appointment...
Former Aberdeen assistant manager Tony Docherty has taken a temporary role at League One side Forfar Athletic.

The Loons, under caretaker management by former Dundee defender Gary Irvine, are struggling at the foot of the third tier and are bidding to avoid the drop.

Docherty left the Dons last month when manager Derek McInnes’ saw his eight-year spell in charge of the club brought to an end.

Irvine wanted to bring in a coach to assist during the final month of the season, to allow him to continue playing when required.

A club statement said: “The directors of Forfar Athletic are very grateful to Tony for agreeing to assist the club in this manner and all going to plan, he will have an immediate involvement in the preparations for the fixture at Airdrie tomorrow night.”

Irvine played under McInnes and Docherty during a three-year stint at St Johnstone, being 2007 and 2010.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:51 pm

If the powers that be just keep 8th in mind, then it'll take the pressure off slightly. Forget Peterhead in 7th who are 9pts ahead. Currently 5 adrift of Dumbarton and 6 adrift of Clyde who have a game in hand. And with Tony on board, very do-able. Winning @ Airdrie tomorrow would be huge although a draw would certainly not be a disaster.

Hopefully he can do a Sam Allardyce and have the Loons winning games.

Just looking at Clyde and Partick......., playing games tomorrow and Thursday? Two games in 48hrs? Come Thursday night, The Loons will have a game in hand over Clyde? Weird league innit.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:58 pm

don't know what this is, Scots soccer corner or something, in any event just leave it where it is.

Say this once but Rangers could see an unbeaten season with some four games remaining. Guess credit where it's due, it would be some achievement despite the level of opposition there but that's all the plaudts I'll allow them. If Celtic beat them in the Cup this weekend they can have their unbeaten season, gave up catching them long ago, just want to prevent them on other fronts. Hard to comprehend a year or two back they were third league in Scotland and ridiculed. Knew they would make it back eventually but nothing on the scale shown.

feel sorry for Forfar on the verge of the abyss to league two but got a famous name in Queens Park ready to trade places by end of season.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:20 am

There could be a few Town players looking for contracts next season. Forfar Freddie has a nice ring.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:33 am

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:20 am

marko69 wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:51 pm
If the powers that be just keep 8th in mind, then it'll take the pressure off slightly. Forget Peterhead in 7th who are 9pts ahead. Currently 5 adrift of Dumbarton and 6 adrift of Clyde who have a game in hand. And with Tony on board, very do-able. Winning @ Airdrie tomorrow would be huge although a draw would certainly not be a disaster.

Just looking at Clyde and Partick......., playing games tomorrow and Thursday? Two games in 48hrs? Come Thursday night, The Loons will have a game in hand over Clyde? Weird league innit.
Yes Marko, Eighth is the target for sure, in fact atm 9th would be a result and a play off to preserve our League One status.

Dropping into League Two isn't a nice thought, it can suddenly all go very very wrong, just ask those Hedgecutting topiary addicted arseholes up the road, they are looking at The Highland League next season for sure as Kelty Hearts will brush them aside easily.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:21 am

tangfastic wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:20 am
There could be a few Town players looking for contracts next season. Forfar Freddie has a nice ring.
Stick the boot in why don't you !!! :lol:
He would not survive in the cut and thrust world of lower League Scottish Football and that's a fact.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:42 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:20 am
marko69 wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:51 pm

Yes Marko, Eighth is the target for sure, in fact atm 9th would be a result and a play off to preserve our League One status.

Dropping into League Two isn't a nice thought, it can suddenly all go very very wrong, just ask those Hedgecutting topiary addicted arseholes up the road, they are looking at The Highland League next season for sure as Kelty Hearts will brush them aside easily.
Bear in mind though that it wasn’t a drop to L2 that crippled Brechin...... it was their promotion to the championship via the play-offs in the 16/17 season.
From 17/18 until now they’ve not won many games of football at all.
Dodsy done well in that 16/17 campaign and superb in the play offs ...... BUT....... that 17/18 season is in the record books. Who knows how it could go so drastically wrong. 🤷‍♂️

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:33 pm

When you are worse than Albion Rovers it most definitely has gone drastically wrong

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:53 pm

The Loons appeared to be well in the game 60th min through to the Airdrie 2nd @ 81st min. Then wind out the sails after that I'd imagine.

Maybe focusing on Friday night? That's a huge game. You think they'll be fired up for it?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:11 am

Yep, gutted Marko, we looked good for at least a point but it was not to be, I am sure they'll be pumped up for Friday night and you just never know, a quarter final spot would be good compensation for a dismal league campaign.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:29 pm

Get me in the mood for tonight's game, BBC Scotland at 7.30....C'mon the Super Loons !!!!!

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/f ... barcelona/

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:50 pm

I remember that. I don't remember the Lineker and Barca reference story but I do remember the game. And that really was a superb Dundee United team. Was actually gutted for them when they lost the UEFA Cup Final to Gothenburg in that year. (1987)

If it is on Beeb Scotland, I'll be tuning in. Cheers for the heads up.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:00 pm

It is indeed on the Beeb Marko.

Do you remember this one ? 7 mins from European football and we really were minnows back then, what a individual goal from Brian Rankine.

https://youtu.be/a2WJnMUi98k

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:47 pm

That was some 3rd by McDonald. And Derek Johnstone? Fat bstd eh? :shock:

Assistant United boss..... Stephen Frail....., I kid you not.... (And I ain't just saying this as a sour grapes Hibee) ..., but ---->> DIVING HERTZ BSTD!
Got a penalty at Easter Road one day to make it 1-1 final score but what a world class flop. :evil: So, even more on The Loons side tonight.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:10 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:00 pm
It is indeed on the Beeb Marko.

Do you remember this one ? 7 mins from European football and we really were minnows back then, what a individual goal from Brian Rankine.

https://youtu.be/a2WJnMUi98k
Two observations.

How thick were those goalposts.

And how crap were those Scottish goalkeepers. Greavsie was right. Holy could make a decent living up there.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:17 pm

was up off the seat there. That was a chance.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:40 pm

We've played really well that half, very organised and disciplined. First 20 mins we were well on top. 0-0 at HT is quite a result, all to play for.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:38 pm

What was that feckin foul all about in the 90th minute? 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:41 pm

Well. No idea how the Loons are bottom of the league. They played very well. Very unlucky.
Reckon Clyde is more important though, yes?