Wolves thrash Ipswich

A place to chat about anything thats not football related. Most of the threads in here are completely pointless which is why people keep coming back and back. As the forum title suggests, feel free to make any post you want on any subject you wish. It also has Adult jokes (so be warned) which is the other reason people keep coming back.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

goldandblack

Wolves thrash Ipswich

Post by goldandblack » Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:57 pm

Stunning start continues as Wolverhampton Wolves thrash Ipswich.

Wolverhampton continued their sensational start to the season with a 62-28 rout over Ipswich

http://www.speedwaygb.co.uk/news.php?ex ... 8%20season.

Kerry Blue

Re: Wolves thrash Ipswich

Post by Kerry Blue » Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:53 pm

No way they would have won back in the days of John Louis, go on Tiger show them your tail 😂😂 showing my age 😫

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:54 pm

Kerry Blue wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:53 pm
No way they would have won back in the days of John Louis, go on Tiger show them your tail 😂😂 showing my age 😫
:D
but was he as good as the legend Ole Olsen
He won the Speedway World Championship three times, in 1971, 1975, and 1978. He also won the World Long Track Championship in 1973. In 1979 Olsen won Speedway World Pairs Championship with Hans Nielsen. In 1978, 1981 and 1983

MY Uncle used to take us to watch the Pool Pirates back in the 60s,when we were down that way, but not really ever got into speedway.

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:24 am

goldandblack wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:54 pm
Kerry Blue wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:53 pm
:D
but was he as good as the legend Ole Olsen
He won the Speedway World Championship three times, in 1971, 1975, and 1978. He also won the World Long Track Championship in 1973. In 1979 Olsen won Speedway World Pairs Championship with Hans Nielsen. In 1978, 1981 and 1983

MY Uncle used to take us to watch the Pool Pirates back in the 60s,when we were down that way, but not really ever got into speedway.
Maybe not but he was our local, his son Chris was pretty good as well.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:04 pm

John Louis was the best rider never to be crowned World champion, the year he was incorrectly banned for a supposed illegal additive in his fuel it was largely acknowledged that he was one of if not the favourite yo be crowned World champion that year. The fact he didn't even start his speedway career until his late Twenties was quite incredible.

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:13 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:04 pm
John Louis was the best rider never to be crowned World champion, the year he was incorrectly banned for a supposed illegal additive in his fuel it was largely acknowledged that he was one of if not the favourite yo be crowned World champion that year. The fact he didn't even start his speedway career until his late Twenties was quite incredible.
Peter Collins at Belle Vue must be one of the top riders of all time, seemed to go on for ever in the 70s/80s. I think the Danish riders did well over here.

just looked him up on Wiki.that was a great career I should have said Peter Collins MBE.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Col ... way_rider)

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:35 am

goldandblack wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:13 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:04 pm
Peter Collins at Belle Vue must be one of the top riders of all time, seemed to go on for ever in the 70s/80s. I think the Danish riders did well over here.

just looked him up on Wiki.that was a great career I should have said Peter Collins MBE.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Col ... way_rider)
Ah yes, Peter Collins! There's a name i can relate to. I remember having a brief interest in Speedway as a youngster, when they used to show it quite late at night.
British riders, Michael Lee and Ipswich-born Dave Jessup are the two names i remember. They both rode for Kings Lynn stars.

Way before my time, the Swedish rider Ove Fundin (love the name) has always fascinated me. Winner of 5 world championships and a record breaking 11 consecutive World Championship podium finishes. He was the darling of the crowd when he rode for the defunct Norwich Stars and was a name my Grandad would always mention when talking of speedway.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ove_Fundin

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:04 pm

AzzurroMark wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:35 am

Ah yes, Peter Collins! There's a name i can relate to. I remember having a brief interest in Speedway as a youngster, when they used to show it quite late at night.
British riders, Michael Lee and Ipswich-born Dave Jessup are the two names i remember. They both rode for Kings Lynn stars.

Way before my time, the Swedish rider Ove Fundin (love the name) has always fascinated me. Winner of 5 world championships and a record breaking 11 consecutive World Championship podium finishes. He was the darling of the crowd when he rode for the defunct Norwich Stars and was a name my Grandad would always mention when talking of speedway.

Yeah me too,used to watch it when there was nothing better to do. I was more into stock car and banger racing, but football always got in the way,

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:59 pm

goldandblack wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:04 pm
AzzurroMark wrote:

Yeah me too,used to watch it when there was nothing better to do. I was more into stock car and banger racing, but football always got in the way,
Like minds :D ! My Dad used to do banger racing at a couple of local Norfolk tracks! Seems sacrilege now thinking of those Austin Cambridges, Westminsters and Morris Oxfords, to name a few marques, being wrecked, even if a lot of them were just getting a stay of execution from the breakers yard anyway!

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:44 pm

AzzurroMark wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:59 pm
goldandblack wrote:
AzzurroMark wrote:

Like minds :D ! My Dad used to do banger racing at a couple of local Norfolk tracks! Seems sacrilege now thinking of those Austin Cambridges, Westminsters and Morris Oxfords, to name a few marques, being wrecked, even if a lot of them were just getting a stay of execution from the breakers yard anyway!
used to watch the DJ Jonny Walker and Foxy Dance race at Wimbledon.
https://www.racecar.com/news/5321/motor ... -wimbledon

some of those cars then were better than the ones we drove to the track in LOL.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJx11v01RdY

My Bro in-law was the British Mini Stock Champion one year in the late 70s. another Bro in-law I worked with always came 4th or 5th and always behind this woman driver, he kept on saying it was because of her car, so in the end he bought her car, still came 4th or 5th and behind this same woman lol.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:55 pm

goldandblack wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:44 pm
AzzurroMark wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:59 pm
goldandblack wrote:

used to watch the DJ Jonny Walker and Foxy Dance race at Wimbledon.
https://www.racecar.com/news/5321/motor ... -wimbledon

some of those cars then were better than the ones we drove to the track in LOL.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJx11v01RdY

My Bro in-law was the British Mini Stock Champion one year in the late 70s. another Bro in-law I worked with always came 4th or 5th and always behind this woman driver, he kept on saying it was because of her car, so in the end he bought her car, still came 4th or 5th and behind this same woman lol.
Wow, some rare old machines on the track there! Those cars were built like the proverbial brick ****house and would destroy cars of later decades!
Bringing back some memories i must say, the tracks at Hempnall and Homersfield were dirt ones, and everything used to be covered in a fine film of dust by the end of the day!
Loved stuff like Demolition derby with the figure of eight and the crazy ramp and roll (why anybody would do that is beyond me! :lol:

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:47 pm

Don't think Spike was to popular in this clip :lol: :lol: :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79Z4JrcK2OM

This looks like the Wolvo ring road on a Sunday morning

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:36 pm

goldandblack wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:47 pm

:lol:

:lol: It's a bit like the old school days where kids wanted to gang up on the obnoxious big kid in the year group, trying to take them down.....but failing. Then in turn being picked off one by one at a later stage! They certainly don't make ambulances like they used to either :wink:

As for the Wolverhampton ring road! Cheers G&B, i am up that way in a couple of weeks time, planning to see my wife's old neck of the woods! Might give it a miss now! :lol: :lol:

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:20 pm

AzzurroMark wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:36 pm
goldandblack wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:47 pm

:lol:

:lol: It's a bit like the old school days where kids wanted to gang up on the obnoxious big kid in the year group, trying to take them down.....but failing. Then in turn being picked off one by one at a later stage! They certainly don't make ambulances like they used to either :wink:

As for the Wolverhampton ring road! Cheers G&B, i am up that way in a couple of weeks time, planning to see my wife's old neck of the woods! Might give it a miss now! :lol: :lol:

We used to have this guy Fred (Józef Stawinoga) living on the ring road for 40 yrs , was an interesting story on his life, bit of a celeb locally.

https://www.expressandstar.com/news/200 ... ramp-fred/

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:03 pm

Delay to freedom day could spell the end of Wolverhampton Wolves Speedway.

Wolverhampton owner Chris Van Straaten has revealed how the club are suffering ‘severe losses’ operating under strictly reduced audience numbers.
Van Straaten says it’s vital the roadmap remains on course for social distancing to be reduced or ruled out completely in order for the club to continue racing.

Parrys International Wolves are next at home on June 21, the day step four of the roadmap out of lockdown is due to begin.

Van Straaten warned: “It’s a dire situation for us, we are suffering severe losses every time we stage a home meeting because we simply cannot get any more supporters in due to the restrictions.

“It’s vital for us that Boris Johnson stays firm and sticks to the relaxing of social distancing to enable us to get more people on the terraces in the open air.