Olympics in Beijing 2022

A place to chat about anything thats not football related. Most of the threads in here are completely pointless which is why people keep coming back and back. As the forum title suggests, feel free to make any post you want on any subject you wish. It also has Adult jokes (so be warned) which is the other reason people keep coming back.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

number 9

Olympics in Beijing 2022

Post by number 9 » Sat Feb 05, 2022 3:18 am

Okay I’ve spent the last hour watching the Curling competition, and I think it’s the only competition I hope my country DOES NOT advance in. It’s embarrassing! I know some of you will get angry, but this is the sort of competition that should be reserved for the Paralympics. I mean a handicapped person curling is really a challenge and commendable, but an able bodied person should be involved in a more athletic competition.

Just my opinion, and I’m sure the forum police will call me out.

goldandblack

Re: Olympics in Beijing 2022

Post by goldandblack » Sat Feb 05, 2022 8:09 pm

number 9 wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 3:18 am
Okay I’ve spent the last hour watching the Curling competition, and I think it’s the only competition I hope my country DOES NOT advance in. It’s embarrassing! I know some of you will get angry, but this is the sort of competition that should be reserved for the Paralympics. I mean a handicapped person curling is really a challenge and commendable, but an able bodied person should be involved in a more athletic competition.

Just my opinion, and I’m sure the forum police will call me out.
while we are on the subject of the cold, i purchased a fridge back in 1987 and amazingly its still working today 35yrs later , do you think that's a record,

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Feb 05, 2022 8:45 pm

Like to put this on record, ....., couldn't give less of a fk about the Olympics, Winter Olympics, Paralympics or the fking Curling.

But please, do discuss, could be entertaining.

I know you live in the US, but you are English, 9, yes? Do you know it was your crowd that prompted the Scots to accidentally invent curling? Both Scottish & English warriors back in day standing on the shores of a frozen Loch. Hamish McCormack-McDougall the 3rd from Drumchapel wanted to kick all yer arses ASAP, so he threw a boulder over the lake to see how thick the ice was. Turned out the boulder slid all the way over the ice to your side of the loch. The Scots almost instantly didn't want to fight anymore......, told the English to fk off home, and then invented Curling. I mean you're very correct --->> Terrible sport, soul destroying to watch......, but nice history on its invention.

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Sat Feb 05, 2022 9:02 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 8:45 pm
Like to put this on record, ....., couldn't give less of a fk about the Olympics, Winter Olympics, Paralympics or the fking Curling.

I know you live in the US, but you are English, 9, yes? Do you know it was your crowd that prompted the Scots to accidentally invent curling? Both Scottish & English warriors back in day standing on the shores of a frozen Loch. Hamish McCormack-McDougall the 3rd from Drumchapel wanted to kick all yer arses ASAP, so he threw a boulder over the lake to see how thick the ice was. Turned out the boulder slid all the way over the ice to your side of the loch. The Scots almost instantly didn't want to fight anymore......, told the English to fk off home, and then invented Curling. I mean you're very correct --->> Terrible sport, soul destroying to watch......, but nice history on its invention.
but what about my fridge Marko, now that is important. 8)

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sat Feb 05, 2022 10:21 pm

marko69 wrote:

Somehow I knew it was invented by the Scots. I’m sure to this day it’s quite the pick up line in a Scottish pub:
“Aye I’m a Sweeper in an Olympic sport lassy!”
And then the giant burly man with a red beard carries the wee girl home?

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sat Feb 05, 2022 10:23 pm

goldandblack wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 9:02 pm
marko69 wrote:

There was a Chicago Bears football player nicknamed The Refrigerator, Wolfie. Back to you!

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Feb 05, 2022 10:26 pm

goldandblack wrote:
marko69 wrote:

True story…….. no joke…….. my grandad passed away from fridge fumes in 1978. He borrowed that thing from the army barracks in 1943. Scarily 35 years later…….. (cue twilight zone music) …..

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Feb 05, 2022 10:31 pm

number 9 wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 10:21 pm
marko69 wrote:

Somehow I knew it was invented by the Scots. I’m sure to this day it’s quite the pick up line in a Scottish pub:
“Aye I’m a Sweeper in an Olympic sport lassy!”
And then the giant burly man with a red beard carries the wee girl home?
And…….. then what????
🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Dinnae leave it on that cliffhanger ya bawsac! :D

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Sat Feb 05, 2022 10:54 pm

Did you know that if the Olympic flame should go out they have to get a new flame from the original flame back in Greece, this was lit by the sun,

so the games have to stop until its lit again, shouldn't think they have to run back tho, :?

True story this ;

An Englishman, Scotsman, and Irishman wanted to see the Olympics, but they didn't have tickets. They went round back to see if they could sneak in, but there was a guard at the rear entrance which is also where the competing athletes entered. The Englishman looks around and sees a long pole on the ground and gets an idea. He grabs the pole and walks up to the guard and says "Bentley. England. Pole Vaulting." The guard thinks he's an athlete and let's him in. The Scotsman sees this and thinks he could try too. He grabbed a manhole cover and walked up to the guard. "MacGregor. Scotland. Discus." and the guard let him in. The Irishman is looking all over for something to help get him in and sees a bale of barbed wire. He grabs the bale and proudly exclaims to the guard.............

."Murphy. Ireland. Fencing."

Also did you know

Paul McCartney earned the handsome sum of a single pound ($1.57 USD) for his performance at the London Olympics opening ceremony in 2012. Though he and other musicians who performed "essentially donated their time," they needed to earn some amount of money to make their contracts official.
The organizers of that same opening ceremony approached Bill Curbishley, manager of the Who, to ask if drummer Keith Moon would be interested in performing. That's all well and good, except for one slight problem: Moon had been dead for 34 years at that point. Curbishley quipped, "If they have a round table, some glasses, and candles, we might contact him."
Last edited by goldandblack on Sat Feb 05, 2022 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Sat Feb 05, 2022 10:56 pm

number 9 wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 10:23 pm
goldandblack wrote:
marko69 wrote:

There was a Chicago Bears football player nicknamed The Refrigerator, Wolfie. Back to you!
is that a cold fact Mr 9, or a bit of a howler :wink:

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sat Feb 05, 2022 11:13 pm

goldandblack wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 10:56 pm
number 9 wrote:
goldandblack wrote:

True story, but some people may be iced to the idea of googling it. :wink:

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Sat Feb 05, 2022 11:24 pm

number 9 wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 11:13 pm
goldandblack wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 10:56 pm
number 9 wrote:

True story, but some people may be iced to the idea of googling it. :wink:
cant imagine anyone doing that mate BUT

William "Refrigerator" Perry Ultimate NFL Career Highlights
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49i0sI_cJwI

looks like he’s cooling things down, :lol:

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Sat Feb 05, 2022 11:40 pm

An Irish woman's swim team competitor was really upset by her recent loss at the Olympics.
It was during the breast stroke competition when she came in fourth place. She complained the other women were cheating because they were using their arms. :D

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:21 am

goldandblack wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 11:40 pm
An Irish woman's swim team competitor was really upset by her recent loss at the Olympics.
It was during the breast stroke competition when she came in fourth place. She complained the other women were cheating because they were using their arms. :D
:lol:
I’m watching woman’s ice hockey now…USA USA USA! :lol:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:08 pm

number 9 wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:21 am
goldandblack wrote:
Any fights? That’d be awesome. :lol:

Trying to remember that film where theyre talking about the mens ice hockey and he was asked about the game…….. the guy responds, “I dont know, man! I only come for the bust ups!” :lol:

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Sun Feb 06, 2022 1:15 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 10:26 pm
goldandblack wrote:
marko69 wrote:

True story…….. no joke…….. my grandad passed away from fridge fumes in 1978. He borrowed that thing from the army barracks in 1943. Scarily 35 years later…….. (cue twilight zone music) …..
not wishing to get even more scary stuff, but this yankee fella fridge is 35 yes ols + plus a few months :shock:

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Sun Feb 06, 2022 1:17 pm

number 9 wrote:
goldandblack wrote:
is that the same USA who used to hold the Ice Hockey World Championship but forgot to invite other countries :lol: :lol: :lol: :astroll:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Feb 06, 2022 2:16 pm

goldandblack wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 1:17 pm
number 9 wrote:
goldandblack wrote:
is that the same USA who used to hold the Ice Hockey World Championship but forgot to invite other countries :lol: :lol: :lol: :astroll:
:lol: Like the baseball “World” series. 🤦‍♂️ :lol:

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Sun Feb 06, 2022 8:23 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 2:16 pm
goldandblack wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 1:17 pm
number 9 wrote:

:lol: Like the baseball “World” series. 🤦‍♂️ :lol:
in the the Ice Hockey didnt they invite the Canadians or Russians ? to play in it one year and lost, :lol: :lol:

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Sun Feb 06, 2022 8:38 pm

While we are on the subject, did you know that Dolphins sleep with one eye open. unbelievable but true aye

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:33 pm

goldandblack wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 8:38 pm
While we are on the subject, did you know that Dolphins sleep with one eye open. unbelievable but true aye
I bet the Miami Dolphins owner sleeps with one eye open too! :lol:

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Sun Feb 06, 2022 10:11 pm

number 9 wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:33 pm
goldandblack wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 8:38 pm
I bet the Miami Dolphins owner sleeps with one eye open too! :lol:
we had a Jacksonville Wolves fan club,and in return loads of Jacksonville Jaguars fans in Wolvo, think they played in London not long ago.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:50 pm

Aren’t the Jax Jags bigger losers than the loser Lions?
Na. Maybe not. Not possible.

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:57 pm

marko69 wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:50 pm
Aren’t the Jax Jags bigger losers than the loser Lions?
Na. Maybe not. Not possible.
isn't Jacksonville a Red Neck County or Town, suits us down to the ground that does 8)

Anyway weren't we talking about Dolphins , :?

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:09 pm

On Sunday, American snowboarder Julia Marino took silver in the women's snowboard slopestyle final — netting the U.S. its first medal in Beijing.
USA,USA,USA!!!

Sorry, I have to go with my dad's side in the Olympics! :lol:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Feb 07, 2022 4:47 pm

After ALL these years? Finally finding out the USA connection. Yer pap is / was a yankee doodle dandy. 👍👍 Great stuff.

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Mon Feb 07, 2022 4:56 pm

marko69 wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 4:47 pm
After ALL these years? Finally finding out the USA connection. Yer pap is / was a yankee doodle dandy. 👍👍 Great stuff.
my step brothers dad is from Boston, those americans based over here in the war with their chocs and tights had a lot to answer to,
is there a connection with Number 8 somehow. :shock:

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon Feb 07, 2022 4:57 pm

marko69 wrote:
Yep I'm half Yankee, but when my dad was living he cared about the Olympics about as much as you do! :lol:

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon Feb 07, 2022 5:02 pm

goldandblack wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 4:56 pm
marko69 wrote:
my step brothers dad is from Boston, those americans based over here in the war with their chocs and tights had a lot to answer to,
is there a connection with Number 8 somehow. :shock:
I'm sure there's some who may question masculinity of red feathered hats as well, Wolfie?! :lol:

Seriously though, I worked with the Royal Fusiliers in Bosnia. They're a tough lot for sure!

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon Feb 07, 2022 5:29 pm

Speaking of the Royal Fusiliers I think I've told this story before, but it's worth telling again. In Bosnia I was documenting a repatriation effort in a predominantly Serbian area. To make a long story short, the Serbs did not want the Bosniaks to move back into the neighborhoods after the cease fire. A rather aggressive group of Serbs gathered to prevent the Bosniaks from moving back in, so the Stabilization Force had sent a Royal Fusiliers regiment to aid the repatriation. One of the Serbs had parked his car in the road blocking the only entrance into the neighborhood, and negotiations had been ongoing for hours. During the whole process I noticed the Fusiliers' commander was getting more and more frustrated about the situation, but the Serb wouldn't move his car. So finally, the commander approached the man and basically said if you don't move your car we will remove it for you. The Serb still refused to move his car, and the commander gave the order. A few minutes later the Fusiliers drove their armored vehicle over the car and flattened it...and pushed the car to the side. As the Serb group stood to the side, the Fusiliers escorted the Bosniaks back to their homes.

Brilliant! :lol: