Another Mass Shooting in Texas!

A place to chat about anything thats not football related. Most of the threads in here are completely pointless which is why people keep coming back and back. As the forum title suggests, feel free to make any post you want on any subject you wish. It also has Adult jokes (so be warned) which is the other reason people keep coming back.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

number 9

Another Mass Shooting in Texas!

Post by number 9 » Wed May 25, 2022 10:33 pm

Condolences to families affected by another mass shooting in Texas. If only the staunch conservatives in Texas spent more time protecting basic human rights (ie Roe vs Wade), rather than promoting the indifference of the pro gun advocates & the NRA. How ironic their argument for banning abortions is fueled by religious extremism, yet their message for gun regulations is no interference please…guns don’t kill people, people kill people. I lived in Texas more than 20 years and the incumbent Gov Abbott and his cronies are destroying the basic human rights of individuals while ignoring the desperate need for gun regulation in America.

Andym

Re: Another Mass Shooting in Texas!

Post by Andym » Thu May 26, 2022 7:33 pm

Agree with every word of that. I think the USA - like the UK - is one of many where politics is getting more and more polarised. In the States is seems that the right wing is dominated by the Christians and the NRA. I have to say that, as someone whose politics is left of centre with no religious beliefs, I can never see how extreme right politics and Christianity go together. There seems to be no compassion and no tolerance in the extreme right - how is that Christian?
The anti-abortionists are, in many cases, not pro-life, they are pro-birth. Once the child is born, they don’t care about supporting the child living in poverty, or being shot in their school. It can damn well look after itself. I have to say I heard some depressing comments on the Jeremy Vine show today, listeners condemning handouts to those who can’t afford to feed themselves because of rising prices.
Not sure how true it is, but I have seen that Donald Trump is to address the NRA - but guns will be banned at the meeting.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Fri May 27, 2022 2:40 am

Yep I’m fine with some regulations on abortions, but not to the extremes of the ultra conservatives. I mean to deny a woman the right to abort a rape pregnancy is barbaric. As far as gun control, no way should an 18yr old be legally able to buy 2 assault rifles & more than 300 rounds of ammunition. An 18yr old can’t even legally buy alcohol or cigarettes in some places. I’m fine with legitimate gun ownership I have a hand gun for protection my self. What annoys me most is the religious extremism now prevalent in American politics…pro life unless events interfere with their guns.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri May 27, 2022 1:01 pm

You get pissed off reading about “things that can be done” to stop the mass shootings at schools.

More security at schools
Less doors at schools
Smaller class numbers

Etc etc etc

JUST BAN THE FKN GUNS FFS. 🤬

Andym

Post by Andym » Fri May 27, 2022 3:01 pm

marko69 wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 1:01 pm
You get pissed off reading about “things that can be done” to stop the mass shootings at schools.

More security at schools
Less doors at schools
Smaller class numbers

Etc etc etc

Absolutely

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri May 27, 2022 4:02 pm

Andym wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 3:01 pm
marko69 wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 1:01 pm

More security at schools
Less doors at schools
Smaller class numbers

Etc etc etc

Absolutely

100% agree.

On our recent visit to the States it was unbelievable to see roadside signage advertising “Guns For Sale Here Today” and believe it or not there were Stars & Stripes flags flying and guns being sold from what looked like market stalls selling fruit.

We were absolutely horrified.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri May 27, 2022 5:00 pm

Yep. Scary.

And……. They’re all downloading games called “Sniper 3D”……. Ban the guns, ban the crackpot games.

I’m off to land this 747 on a bungalow.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Fri May 27, 2022 10:52 pm

I just wanna be clear, I do not support a complete ban of firearms in America…it would never be passed. However, strict regulations for assault rifles & ammunition should be regulated and access to gun sales should be overseen by a government entity. In my opinion, there should be a limit to how many guns someone can purchase and strict rules for who qualifies. I even believe certain types of guns should be required to be locked up at hunting clubs or gun range organizations and require membership. No matter what the government does to mitigate illegal gun sales, there will always be a black market supplier…but it’s prudent to make the legal access as limited & as regulated as possible. It’s just too easy to get guns legally in America. That needs to change first.