Vacation vs Holiday?

A place to chat about anything thats not football related. Most of the threads in here are completely pointless which is why people keep coming back and back. As the forum title suggests, feel free to make any post you want on any subject you wish. It also has Adult jokes (so be warned) which is the other reason people keep coming back.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

number 9

Vacation vs Holiday?

Post by number 9 » Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:01 pm

Is it vacation or holiday? I know Cliff Richard’s response, but is the modern moniker vacation now??

Anyway, my oldest is planning a European vacation in the summer. She’s set on Scotland even though I’ve done my best to sway her lol!

So the question is, where should I recommend to my daughter? Maybe a location without men in skirts and no underpants, preferably! :lol:

marko69
Global Moderator

Re: Vacation vs Holiday?

Post by marko69 » Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:19 pm

Get her holidaying here......., I'll put trousers on.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon Apr 17, 2023 10:07 pm

marko69 wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:19 pm
Get her holidaying here......., I'll put trousers on.
I think she’s already made up her mind, mate! She hasn’t listened to dad’s advice for years! :lol:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Apr 19, 2023 8:32 am

The Amalfi coast, Sorrento or Dubrovnik in Croatia, both absolutely fantastic

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed Apr 19, 2023 5:23 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2023 8:32 am
I did recommend Dubrovnik and Split, but I think her mind is set on Scotland. :cry: :lol:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Apr 19, 2023 6:22 pm

number 9 wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2023 5:23 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2023 8:32 am
I did recommend Dubrovnik and Split, but I think her mind is set on Scotland. :cry: :lol:
Funny isn’t it. She wants Scotland……. Myself & wife went to Amalfi on honeymoon…….. i want Amalfi.

Seriously though…….. it is an experience is Scotland, 9. She’ll absolutely love it. Highlands are awesome, sightseeing is incredible…… im guessing she’s into history and historic places…… plenty places to go see where the b*stard English kicked our arses! :lol:

And Glasgow , Aberdeen or Edinburgh…… great for a night out.

Dont go near Dundee though. Satan the Devil lives there.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed Apr 19, 2023 7:03 pm

Yes I’m only joking, Marko as I’m sure you know. I’ve spent some time working in Scotland, but I didn’t get to see much on the ground. Aerial views from a military helicopter were amazing…and we flew from Iceland!

I took her to visit the U.K. when she was 18, and she loved Suffolk & all the history especially Sutton Hoo. Now she & her hubby are in that exploring phase, so Scotland is perfect to do that! I did recommend Edinburgh & the highlands & of course the Castles. They should have fun as long as they don’t eat the food haha!

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Apr 19, 2023 7:06 pm

number 9 wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2023 7:03 pm
Yes I’m only joking, Marko as I’m sure you know. I’ve spent some time working in Scotland, but I didn’t get to see much on the ground. Aerial views from a military helicopter were amazing…and we flew from Iceland!

I took her to visit the U.K. when she was 18, and she loved Suffolk & all the history especially Sutton Hoo. Now she & her hubby are in that exploring phase, so Scotland is perfect to do that! I did recommend Edinburgh & the highlands & of course the Castles. They should have fun as long as they don’t eat the food haha!
👍👌

And err……. I think the NHS is struggling slightly…… so err……. Keep off the deep fried Mars Bars. :D

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Apr 20, 2023 8:50 am

I'm visiting the Highlands in August for the 4th year in a row, absolutely breathtaking scenery etc, not many better places for sure, the Lochs etc are stunning, Glencoe is something else too. We are taking in the Edinburgh Tattoo this year too, something that has been on my to do list for years.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Apr 21, 2023 7:55 am

Its crazy as we get older……. Most people i know LEAVE Edinburgh in August. “The Fringe”, albeit it world famous and great, is a gigantic pain in the arse from a working perspective. Roads temp closed, parking all screwed up, …… we are off to first, Malmo and then Lake Guardia in August.

Alf Garnett voice: “Come back when all the bloody foreigners have gone home!” :D

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sat Apr 22, 2023 10:35 am

After all that, she's decided to go to Italy! Rome, Florence and I've recommended Gaeta and La Maddalena if she has time to ferry over.

Cabanas Blue

Post by Cabanas Blue » Sat Apr 22, 2023 2:13 pm

I'm going back to Ireland for all of August to get away from the very hot weather and to visit friends and hoping to have three or four sunny days 🙏😂😂😂

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Apr 22, 2023 2:31 pm

number 9 wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2023 10:35 am
After all that, she's decided to go to Italy! Rome, Florence and I've recommended Gaeta and La Maddalena if she has time to ferry over.

She won’t regret that decision 9. For me Rome is the best City Break destination in Europe and Florence is a great secondary destination to include too. If she could as Mike or Marko said finish the trip off on the Amalfi Coast that really would be a 5 Star trip although personally I’m not a great fan of Sorrento itself as it’s far too touristy.

As for holiday or vacation, in English it’s holiday or in Spanish vacaciones.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat Apr 22, 2023 4:56 pm

Mull / Tobermory is worth a visit, took in a trip early 2000's. If not that then say Arran or Bute. More Islands to choose from than you could name each with it's own experience or sights to take in.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun Apr 23, 2023 11:22 pm

Thanks for all the tips! Appreciate it!