Town's playoff hopes

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Re: Town's playoff hopes

Post by Charnwood » Mon Feb 21, 2022 10:33 am

Now here’s a little trivia for you;

Why are Charlton call The Addicks ?

It was there that a fishmongers was located owned by Arthur Bryan. Bryan supplied haddock and chips to players from both sides after Charlton's matches and, with South London linguistics coming into play, that became 'addick and chips' and thus the Addicks (haddocks) nickname was born.

Apologies for that !

Next post I promise will be back on track.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Mon Feb 21, 2022 2:37 pm

Knew ahead of time it had something to do with fish. Apparently years back remember reading fans there originally attended games with fish nailed to sticks, sounds bizarre but truth is got something also to do with origins. Nothing else to add to the issue.

One last or further mention on the play-off objective, the list of games and what will or won't transpire can go by the wayside. Don't need no pissing in the wind Nostradamus types when all need do is focus on what occurs on the field. We got an opportunity to achieve it, it won't be easy and all fixtures are subject to surprise and misadventure. It goes down to how much the players want it, I don't figure that's an issue for McKenna, he seems obviously motivated and a clear willingness to succeed.

A concern being we don't possess a regular goalscorer anymore. Certain names score but too infrequent, there's not a collective haul from any one individual. Goalkeeper has proved to be one of the best outside the top two divisions, has really impressed after a horror start. Believe together and everyone pulling their weight we have the capabiliities to gain promotion but as before how much do they really want it.

patthegimp

Post by patthegimp » Mon Feb 21, 2022 7:14 pm

Only 12 points off 2nd place😂😂😁

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Feb 21, 2022 7:19 pm

Why not …. We’ve already made up 7 pts lol :lol:

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:45 pm

mendipblue wrote:
Sat Feb 19, 2022 5:56 pm
mendipblue wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 9:22 pm
mendipblue wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:42 pm
Gillingham H..3pts...... correct
Doncaster A...3pts..... correct
Mk Don's A..1pt........... correct
Burton H...3pts............ correct
Cheltenham H...3pts...wrong 1pt
Morecambe A...3pts....wrong 1pt
Fleetwood A...3pts....correct
Lincoln H...3pts
Portsmouth H...3pts
Oxford A...0pts
Plymouth H...3pts
Cambridge H...3pts
Shrewsbury A...3pts
Rotherham A...0pts
Wigan H...1pt
Crewe A...3pts
Charlton H...3pts

13 Wins
2 Draws
2 Defeats
41pts. To gives us a total of 82pts Dream still alive :wink:
Ah well
Last edited by mendipblue on Sat Mar 05, 2022 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:59 pm

You'll clean up from now on though. Starting at Dinamo Morecambe.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Wed Feb 23, 2022 3:10 am

It were always going to boil down to a Charlatan in a tent with hoops through their ears but it was a nice try.

To tick off every one as correct by time of finish would have been beyond astronomical.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:18 am

Was a commendable start though…….. especially MKD away. That one should’ve been the draw and last night the WIN.
But……… 🤷‍♂️, ———>>> moving on!

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Feb 23, 2022 7:50 pm

marko69 wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:59 pm
You'll clean up from now on though. Starting at Dinamo Morecambe.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Sat Feb 26, 2022 5:59 pm

mendipblue wrote:
Sat Feb 19, 2022 5:56 pm
mendipblue wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 9:22 pm
mendipblue wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:42 pm
Gillingham H..3pts...... correct
Doncaster A...3pts..... correct
Mk Don's A..1pt........... correct
Burton H...3pts............ correct
Cheltenham H...3pts...wrong 1pt
Morecambe A...3pts....wrong 1pt
Fleetwood A...3pts
Lincoln H...3pts
Portsmouth H...3pts
Oxford A...0pts
Plymouth H...3pts
Cambridge H...3pts
Shrewsbury A...3pts
Rotherham A...0pts
Wigan H...1pt
Crewe A...3pts
Charlton H...3pts

13 Wins
2 Draws
2 Defeats
41pts. To gives us a total of 82pts Dream still alive :wink:

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Feb 26, 2022 9:43 pm

Fleetwood away 3 points ? Not a hope based on the last two games …… we cant stick the ball in the net, and we don’t like physical , in yer face teams…..

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Sun Feb 27, 2022 4:59 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sat Feb 26, 2022 9:43 pm
Fleetwood away 3 points ? Not a hope based on the last two games …… we cant stick the ball in the net, and we don’t like physical , in yer face teams…..
To be honest you don't think we will win any games. :shock:

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Feb 27, 2022 8:41 pm

mendipblue wrote:
Sun Feb 27, 2022 4:59 pm
hallamblue wrote:
Sat Feb 26, 2022 9:43 pm
To be honest you don't think we will win any games. :shock:
Not based on how we are playing atm , no , sadly I don’t 🤷‍♀️…. Of course I’ll be VERY Happy to be proved wrong . I’d love us to make the play offs , but think that’s pretty remote now .

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Tue Mar 01, 2022 2:29 pm

Come on guys, its only 5 points and some teams above us are starting to lose their nerve. I think we are in with a great chance but for sure will have to start winning these games we are currently getting 'winning draws' in.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Mar 01, 2022 3:18 pm

Start sticking the ball in the opposition net , I’d 100% agree with you DB. We need to sort it out coz it’s going to cost us. Possession doesn’t win games if you don’t score at the end of it.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Mar 01, 2022 5:18 pm

rossi

Post by rossi » Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:13 am

Dubai Blue wrote:
Tue Mar 01, 2022 2:29 pm
Come on guys, its only 5 points and some teams above us are starting to lose their nerve. I think we are in with a great chance but for sure will have to start winning these games we are currently getting 'winning draws' in.
It's 6 points now after last night's games DB, and will probably be more than that once Plymouth have made up their 2 games in hand on us.

Realistically, that's too much to make up in 11 games given that there are a number of teams that we would need to overtake - some of them might well capitulate, but not all of them.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:30 am

rossi wrote:
Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:13 am
Dubai Blue wrote:
Tue Mar 01, 2022 2:29 pm
It's 6 points now after last night's games DB, and will probably be more than that once Plymouth have made up their 2 games in hand on us.

Realistically, that's too much to make up in 11 games given that there are a number of teams that we would need to overtake - some of them might well capitulate, but not all of them.
Portsmouth are also only 2 points behind us now with 2 games in hand. It was always going to be a slim chance of us making the playoffs after the start we had. Also, the number of points required to make 6th place this season is probably going to be higher than usual. For me we have made progress since McKenna came in and if this continues I for one will feel far more confident for the future than I have for a long time.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Mar 02, 2022 11:54 am

They should have appointed McKenna at the start of the season…. But there’s no telling what squad we’d have had….

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Wed Mar 02, 2022 12:06 pm

Even if the playoffs are beyond us I think it is important that we keep the momentum up until the end of the season so that the feel good factor remains amongst the supporters and within the club going into next season.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Mar 02, 2022 12:31 pm

Absolutely agree Tony. I do feel the future is very bright for Town, and that this season was alway likely to be a dead rubber due to the monumental changes throughout the club. I’m actually looking forward to who McKenna brings in, in the summer. If we make play offs this season, great. But are we good enough ? I’d say no , not yet.

rossi

Post by rossi » Wed Mar 02, 2022 1:49 pm

Shed on tour wrote:
Wed Mar 02, 2022 12:06 pm
Even if the playoffs are beyond us I think it is important that we keep the momentum up until the end of the season so that the feel good factor remains amongst the supporters and within the club going into next season.
Absolutely, and this end to the season is way better than the last few seasons we have had, at least the interest will continue whilst there is a mathematical chance.

And momentum going into next season is vital, which is why I think KM needs to give TS a chance on Saturday. After that, all 5 strikers will have had the opportunity to impress, and I would hope he would stick with what he considers to be the best 2 for the rest of the season. And if we don't score many in those games then there's plenty of time in the close season to ship out all 5 and get in some decent replacements

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Wed Mar 02, 2022 5:07 pm

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-to ... ip-8727056 According to this our play off chances is just 4%.......Really?

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Mar 02, 2022 5:16 pm

I think last nights results combined with our struggling to score goals has just about finished off any realistic chances of scraping into the play offs. How ironic that at the start of the season under Paul Cook we were the second highest scoring team in the EFL after Fulham but couldn’t defend, and now under McKenna the defence is pretty solid but we can’t score to save our lives.

What a strange game football can be, but at last we have hope and our football club at last feels like it’s in safe hands.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Mar 02, 2022 6:24 pm

rossi wrote:
Wed Mar 02, 2022 1:49 pm
……KM needs to give TS a chance on Saturday. After that, all 5 strikers will have had the opportunity to impress, and I would hope he would stick with what he considers to be the best 2 for the rest of the season. And if we don't score many in those games then there's plenty of time in the close season to ship out all 5 and get in some decent replacements.
BINGO!! 👍

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Mar 02, 2022 9:43 pm

mendipblue wrote:
Wed Mar 02, 2022 5:07 pm
https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-to ... ip-8727056 According to this our play off chances is just 4%.......Really?
Lol not just me that thinks that then ….if only we had strikers that could actually score goals. That’s the difference I think MB…so hopefully that’ll be resolved over the summer. 🤞

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Thu Mar 03, 2022 8:21 am

Charnwood wrote:
Wed Mar 02, 2022 5:16 pm
I think last nights results combined with our struggling to score goals has just about finished off any realistic chances of scraping into the play offs. How ironic that at the start of the season under Paul Cook we were the second highest scoring team in the EFL after Fulham but couldn’t defend, and now under McKenna the defence is pretty solid but we can’t score to save our lives.

What a strange game football can be, but at last we have hope and our football club at last feels like it’s in safe hands.
I’d worry more if we weren’t creating chances. McKenna did a very good job of making us more sound defensively. The players looks more suited to this system.
I was a little worried at one stage that we were going towards a Lambert-style where it was all possession, but creating hardly any chances. But we’re at least creating chances.
I just don’t see us getting on a 5-6 game winning run. We can’t steam-roller teams or consistently scrape a narrow win. Over the course of a full season I can see us being in the mix, but not good enough to play catch-up. The only side above us we’ve beaten is Wycombe so that’s another concern. I’m resigned to being here next season with hopefully the nucleus of the side still here with a few new faces (strikers/LWB).

If we can get on a 3 game winning run soon, I’ll start believing again but we need one of those front men to have a purple patch.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Mar 03, 2022 8:38 am

4 points dropped v Horsey country and Toffee Apple country were 4 nails in the coffin.
Anything less that 3 extremely precious points v Candy Floss country and its curtains.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Mar 03, 2022 9:20 am

My prediction is Toto gives us a penalty for old times sake

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Mar 03, 2022 9:24 am

Bluemike wrote:
Thu Mar 03, 2022 9:20 am
My prediction is Toto gives us a penalty for old times sake
Whats the weather like where you are? :D

I genuinely hope you are kicking back and relaxing 100% after your recent health issues and enjoying the well earned break. 👍👍

Don’t stay away from writing the previews for too long because Frosty is fkn shyte at it. Dont tell him about this pm though! :D