Dyer Resigns

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Kerry Blue

Dyer Resigns

Post by Kerry Blue » Mon Mar 21, 2022 4:44 pm

Town U23s manager Kieron Dyer has resigned from his role with immediate effect, the club has announced.

Former England international Dyer had been in the position since October 2020 with his side currently top of Professional Development League Two South having finished second last season.

A statement from the club reads: “Ipswich Town Football Club can confirm that Kieron Dyer has resigned from his position as U23s manager with immediate effect.
Kieron had been in charge of the young Blues since October 2020 and leaves the U23s following a successful season to date.”

Town CEO Mark Ashton told the club site: “It has come as a surprise to us that Kieron wishes to stand down from his role as U23s manager.

“Kieron’s played his part in the development of some of our young players and we thank him for his efforts.

“I speak on behalf of everyone at the club in wishing Kieron all the very best with his future.”

Ipswich-born Dyer, a Town youth product as a player, previously worked with the U16s and U18s at Playford Road.

That's a pity and a shock I just hope all is well with him.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: Dyer Resigns

Post by Bluemike » Mon Mar 21, 2022 5:27 pm

I would suspect its to go with his poor health, hopefully he's ok.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Mar 21, 2022 5:55 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 5:27 pm
I would suspect its to go with his poor health, hopefully he's ok.
That would be the most obvious explanation otherwise I’d have thought he’d see the season out especially with his health situation which may make it difficult for him to find new employment.

Like you Mike, I hope he’s ok.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Mar 21, 2022 6:32 pm

Looks like the Club haven’t seen it coming though.

Tough times ahead day for our KD, sadly .

All the best Kieron .

LizinSpain

Post by LizinSpain » Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:07 pm

A massive loss to the club but he needs to put his health first if that is the reason 💙

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:49 pm

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Mar 22, 2022 8:53 am

Charnwood wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:49 pm
Nice tweet from James Norwood…

https://twitter.com/jnorwood_10/status/ ... 11139?s=21
Nice, James 👍👏👏👏👏

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:44 am

Dyer has said that it’s not health-related. He’s been interviewed on a podcast that should go out today where he’ll state why he left the club to “squash the rumours”.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:47 am

Tangfastic wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:44 am
Dyer has said that it’s not health-related. He’s been interviewed on a podcast that should go out today where he’ll state why he left the club to “squash the rumours”.
He’s fkd off away from the club because people think the strikers are at fault. He’s pi$$ed off with it.

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Tue Mar 22, 2022 5:28 pm

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=l7Rv82WveEI

Dyer interview. Marko has the correct one 🙄
Last edited by Kerry Blue on Tue Mar 22, 2022 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Mar 22, 2022 5:35 pm

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Tue Mar 22, 2022 5:46 pm

marko69 wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 5:35 pm
https://youtu.be/9HdGgNURW7I
Well done Marko you got the right one 👍👏👏

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Mar 22, 2022 8:22 pm

Someone had said on “ another forum”, that he and John McGreal didn’t see eye to eye. Does he refer to that on the podcast?

Well I’ve just listened to the whole podcast. Quite enlightening in many respects . But it comes down to a few things really.( synopsis below)……

1). Mark Ashton …and the Clubs vision… which appears to not include a pathway for the U23players in to the senior team. KD felt that he couldn’t work for Ashton / Gamechangers when their fundamental vision appears at loggerheads with his very role with the U23’s and the preparation and supposed pathway to the senior squad. He appears to be saying it doesn’t exist….and maybe long term there will not be a “pathway”….which if true is a worrying aspect for me.

Dyer questions why Cameron Humphreys is not in the midfield when Morsy is out injured, because Dyer is adamant that Humphreys is THE next best midfielder at this club behind Morsy. Why is Baggot at least not on the bench …why is Chirewa and / or Simpson not being given some ministers when we are crying out for goals ( both players score goals for fun in U23’s…a team that he says has taken PL clubs to the cleaners , but this is hardly ever reported upon…

2). Mark Ashton…. And bringing in of John McGreal (an experienced manager) as an “assistant” to Dyer in the U23’s,
3). Mark Ashton…..the sacking of Cook, and Ashton’s preference of “ promoting” McGreal as caretaker manager over Dyer.

4) He had a lot of respect for Cook, “ has never known a manager work harder, but he was trying to do everything himself “. This probably relates to the lack of back up team which never came down from Wigan. He never recovered from that and KD says he was trying to support his coaching team as well as do the job as manager . He watched ALL the clubs games and training session from U16 - U23’s and the seniors .

5) He had little respect for Lambert.

There is the wider issues Dyer talks of, regarding his inability to even get replies from various Clubs (including National League level), when he’s applied for managers jobs. He states he’s been unable to get that “ experience” in the game, and that’s it’s down to ethnicity, (can’t disagree there as there are only 10 black English managers involved in the game according to the interviewer).

My observations of KD in this interview, is that he wears his heart on his sleeve, and he openly admits he is a very emotional person. He clearly bleeds Blue & White, and is obviously a massive fan. He is not the most eloquent of speakers . By that I mean he doesn’t always appear to get across fully or clearly what he’s trying to say. That’s not a criticism , but more an observation.

Health wise he’s in a very good place right now, and is 9n the Liver transplant list . For this he has to be no more than an hour away from Addenbrooks hospital so it’s unlikely he’ll be in for any other roles in the game just yet.

Hope that helps . ….
Last edited by hallamblue on Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:58 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 8:22 pm
Someone had said on “ another forum”, that he and John McGreal didn’t see eye to eye. Does he refer to that on the podcast?
He was upset that McGreal got the caretakers job ahead of him and at first said that he wouldn't work under him but after talking to Ashton he did but was obviously not happy.

MasseyFerguson

Post by MasseyFerguson » Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:25 pm

Really interesting interview. Cook, demolition man mis-step aside, comes out of it very well.

Lambert appears to be exactly who we feared he was.

He is clearly a big fan of KMcK and the job he has done for us.

The anger he felt over the temporary manager arrangement was understandable. He will be a loss to the club.

MasseyFerguson

Post by MasseyFerguson » Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:32 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 8:22 pm

Well I’ve just listened to the whole podcast. Quite enlightening in many respects . But it comes down to a few things really.( synopsis below)……

1). Mark Ashton …and the Clubs vision… which appears to not include a pathway for the U23players in to the senior team. KD felt that he couldn’t work for Ashton / Gamechangers when their fundamental vision appears at loggerheads with his very role with the U23’s and the preparation and supposed pathway to the senior squad. He appears to be saying it doesn’t exist….and maybe long term there will not be a “pathway”….which if true is a worrying aspect for me.

Dyer questions why Cameron Humphreys is not in the midfield when Morsy is out injured, because Dyer is adamant that Humphreys is THE next best midfielder at this club behind Morsy. Why is Baggot at least not on the bench …why is Chirewa and / or Simpson not being given some ministers when we are crying out for goals ( both players score goals for fun in U23’s…a team that he says has taken PL clubs to the cleaners , but this is hardly ever reported upon…

2). Mark Ashton…. And bringing in of John McGreal (an experienced manager) as an “assistant” to Dyer in the U23’s,
3). Mark Ashton…..the sacking of Cook, and Ashton’s preference of “ promoting” McGreal as caretaker manager over Dyer.
I avoided any reference to Ashton in my comment above because I have already aired my reservations about him in other threads. KD's interview reinforces my preconceived ideas. I really do not like Ashton.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:45 pm

Well KD’s a voice from inside the Club isn’t he . He is miffed about not being given the caretaker role , and although it wasn’t raised in the interview , I think he didn’t like it when Cook chose his backroom staff and didn’t include him .

Tbh I’ve said all along Dyer simply doesn’t have any managerial experience, but it seems he can’t even get a reply from his job applications ( I’ve had a few of those in my life too so know it can’t knock you back - it’s just life isn’t it) . But the lack of black managers in the game is no a new problem is it.

But if you compare McKenna’s communication skills to those of Dyer , and I suspect his coaching abilities, Dyer himself, would freely admit McKenna is a whole (and some) level above himself. But McKenna has travelled the world and attended very high level coaching courses for s good few years now. Dyer by comparison, is very much in the slow lane I’m afraid .

But that’s all Dyers personal attributes . The thing that concerns me is his reference to The Clubs
“ vision” which appears not to include our own academy players ….. which fits nicely with the loan players Thompson and Bakinson being brought in above our own players. Why??
Our players are not even making the bench - so how can you judge them?

I suspect we’ll get a much better idea over the coming summer what Towns (Ashtons?) vision is ….
Last edited by hallamblue on Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:50 pm

Sometimes being a good leader means making difficult decisions.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:53 pm

So who made the decision to employ Cook?

Dyer seemed to think Ashton had a hand in that because he had interviewed him for a previous Bristol City job .

Cooks recruitment might not have been such a car crash had the full backroom staff Aldo came with him . That partnership was broken up when his number 2 decided to stay at Wigan , as did the backroom staff.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue Mar 22, 2022 11:09 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:53 pm
So who made the decision to employ Cook?

Dyer seemed to think Ashton had a hand in that because he had interviewed him for a previous Bristol City job .

Cooks recruitment might not have been such a car crash had the full backroom staff Aldo came with him . That partnership was broken up when his number 2 decided to stay at Wigan , as did the backroom staff.
It was a transitional period. A bit like walking into a kitchen and being asked to take over cooking dinner. No Cook pun intended. :lol:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Mar 22, 2022 11:14 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:53 pm
Cooks recruitment might not have been such a car crash had the full backroom staff Aldo came with him .
Think Aldo went back to Italy, Hallam. (The) Cook apparently banned pasta from Portman Road. Too carby. Aldo was having none of it. Literally.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Mar 23, 2022 6:54 am

All a bit drama queeny for me. The club has a direction and a vision and for once a strategy, early signs are it is working very well, he doesn't like the direction so has done the right thing as can't or won't buy into it.

I said at the time I wouldn't want him within a hundred miles of the managers job and I stick by that. As for no pathway for the U23s I don't get that as Downes, Woolfenden, Lancaster and Dozzell to name but Four all made it but every man and their dogs wanted them all sold so clearly they weren't good enough. Baggott will be the one to come through next and was on the bench Saturday, it would be a disastrous time to blood kids now. We move on, thankfully in a positive way.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Wed Mar 23, 2022 7:15 am

It was an interesting listen, but I’m not sure KD has done his chances of being a manager any good through it. He’s too emotional and doesn’t come across as manager material. And why couldn’t he just see out the final 2 months of the season and then quietly leave? He’s coming across as someone who can’t see anything out long-term.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Mar 23, 2022 8:45 am

Agree with that Tang, I also picked up on the fact he's applied for jobs before and barely gets a reply, theresa reason for that.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Wed Mar 23, 2022 12:41 pm

The path for youngsters is a bit of a worry, Tyreece Simpson's situation is also not a good one.

A bit of a surprise considering what we know of McKenna and him being an ex U-18 boss, maybe all that will change in time.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Mar 23, 2022 1:11 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 8:45 am
Agree with that Tang, I also picked up on the fact he's applied for jobs before and barely gets a reply, theresa reason for that.
He says it’s an ethnic one ! Which fits the pattern of managers in the UK I think, so maybe he’s making a reasonable call on that one.

But having said that, I still maintain Dyer is trying to run before he can walk. I actually don’t think he’ll ever be a manager, he’s much more suited as a coach, because he still has an affinity to the playing side of things as a “player”. He’s not detached enough or dare I say savvy enough to be a manager and all that entails. He says himself , he’s now doing the “ professional” badges ie which focuses on our “ management “ and organisational cultures. He’s a million miles away from being a modern day manager.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:16 am

Just in case some didn’t manage to listen to that podcast …. Here’s KD’s comments for people 👍

Kieron Dyer: Why I quit Ipswich Town U23s job

Author Stuart Watson
Published: 6:00 AM March 25, 2022

ON HIS HEALTH...

"I am now officially on the liver donor list. Sadly, someone will have to lose their life for me to get one.

"I went on the list on January 4 and they said I could be looking at three to six months. It's just a waiting game.

"I can only be an hour and a half from Addenbrookes at any time because the all could come at any moment. It will be a 10 hour operation when the time comes.
"I go for regular checks and there are really good signs that my liver isn't deteriorating at a massive rate.

"When I first got the news it shattered my whole world. I won't lie, the word 'transplant' scared the s**t out of me. I was thinking 'this is the end of my life

"But as soon as I saw the surgeon he just gave me all the confidence in the world. He said 'you are probably the fittest I have operated on, this is like riding a bike for me, you will have a full recovery'.

"I then started asking 'what's the record time for people leaving the hospital after an operation like this?' They said 10 days and I replied 'well I'll be out in nine!'.

"I'm in a really good, positive head space with it.

"I was always going to take a sabbatical at some stage to recuperate and recover, but health is not the reason I have left the football club."

ON HIS FIRST EXIT...

"What gets thrown at me a lot is; 'He jumped ship when he left the U18s (in 2019) and he's jumped ship again. Is this someone who cares for the club?'

"The reason I left when I was assistant with Adem (Atay) was because I wanted to better myself. I thought I was a bang average coach. I went away to learn and study from other managers and clubs.

"I improved a hell of a lot as a coach during that time. I'll blow my own trumpet here - I think I came back to the club a half decent coach."

Ipswich Town's under 23 manager Kieron Dyer on the pitch ahead of the Sky Bet League One match at Mo
Kieron Dyer has revealed he was discouraged from applying for the Ipswich Town job after Paul Lambert was sacked.

ON BEING OVERLOOKED POST LAMBERT..

"I've put my name in for jobs over the last few years and I only got one 'thanks, but no thanks' acknowledgement back.

"When Paul Lambert left Ipswich I had a conversation with Lee O'Neill and asked whether it was worth me throwing my name in the hat. He spoke to Marcus (Evans) and told me that I would need more experience to be considered.

"But if I'm not getting replies to job applications, how can I get that experience?

"I remember when Paul Hurst got the job. Back then Scott Parker got interviewed - I know he did because he asked me for help with his presentation. It's well documented that Frank Lampard got interviewed too. They didn't have much managerial experience then, so that did make me laugh.

"But I respected the club's decision."

ON HIS RELATIONSHIP WITH PAUL COOK...

"I really liked Paul Cook. I really liked his energy. He warmed to me straight away. We just kind of gravitated towards each other.

"He'd seen that Paul Hurst and Paul Lambert had lost their jobs with that group of players and decided they weren't going to take him down too.

"Did he go about things the right way when he was 'demolition man'? Well he's kind of been proved right by the fact that only Andre (Dozzell) and Flynn (Downes) are now playing at a higher level.

"There's a way of delivering a message though. Would I have done it differently? Of course I would.

"Was I sorry to see him leave? Yes. But that's the nature of this game. If results aren't coming you can lose your job.

"So, no, I didn't leave the football club because Paul Cook got sacked."

ON TERRY BUTCHER BEING REMOVED AS HIS U23S ASSISTANT...

"Who would have thought Terry Butcher and Kieron Dyer would have got on like a house on fire and would call themselves 'the dream team'?

"I was gutted when he left and so were the players. He's become a friend for life and I can see that he misses that interaction with players. He loved it.

"I don't know why he left, all I know is he's a special man to work with."

ON JOHN MCGREAL'S ARRIVAL...

"Me and Adem didn't have assistants, but we thought they;d be appointed internally.

"When John came in it was a shock. This is someone who had managed Colchester and who had been manager of Swindon just a few months earlier coming to be my assistant. I was apprehensive, I'm not going to lie. Is he going to try and take over?

"Then two days later Paul Cook is sacked and John's made caretaker.

"I was disappointed, upset and hurt. I was really angry. I thought it was pre-planned. I was thinking 'how has someone who was my assistant jumped ahead of me?'

"Gary Probert said he wanted me to assist John and Reg (Gilmartin) and I said 'no chance, there's no pathway for me'. The next day I got summoned to Mark Ashton's house and he explained that they'd gone with John just because he'd got league experience.

"He told me I was reading too much into it and was letting my emotions take over. He also said the football club needed me for the next three or four games. So I helped John.

"Again, none of this is the reason for me leaving though!"

ON PLAYER PATHWAYS...

"What do you deem 'success' to be for me in that role? We're unbeaten in eight. There were so many other results that weren't documented either. We smashed Crystal Palace, a Category One club, 3-1. We went to Wycombe, they played a load of senior players, and we beat them 2-0.

"But I saw success as 'how many of them have played in the first team this season?' The answer to that is 'not many', so I feel that I have let them down in a way.

"If you take Sam Morsy out the equation, for me, Cameron Humphreys is our next best midfielder in the entire club. Yet Cameron Humphreys has played 10 minutes against Charlton in the league and played in the League Cup against Newport when, by the way, he was the best player on the pitch.

"Paul Cook didn't see that and neither has Kieran McKenna. Maybe I'm the one who's wrong? But if I was manager then Cameron Humphreys would be in my team with Sam Morsy.

"I take that stuff to heart. I think you are potentially brilliant, I'm meant to be getting you in the first team and that's not happening.

"I'm not blaming the managers here. I'm blaming me.

"Tawanda (Chirewa) is a goal machine. He's so self driven. Yet he's not played a single minute in the Papa John's Trophy this season.

"That's not me saying Paul Cook or Kieran McKenna don't know what they are doing, because I've just given them praise, but in my opinion so many of those academy players are brilliant.

"Elkan (Baggott), Tommy Hughes... I could go through the list.

"It kills me that we have only had Bailey (Clements), Zanda (Siziba) and Cameron play first team football this season.

"If I had been caretaker manager I would have played all the Under-23s at Barrow in the FA Cup - 100%."

Kieron Dyer believes Tyreece Simpson should have been on the bench for Ipswich Town's first team since returning from a loan spell at Swindon.

ON TYREECE SIMPSON...

"Tyreece only scored two goals for the Under-23s last season. When he went to Swindon I thought 'he's not ready for that'. I'm the first to admit it.

"But he goes and scores 12 goals, is on absolute fire, plays against Man City in the FA Cup and gets all this unbelievable experience.

"It's well documented that he was going to come back, get his contract sorted and then was going to go back to Swindon. But he's ended up staying.

"Fans then think the agent's being greedy and that Tyreece is this and that. They say 'let him rot'. They're only guessing though. There's no statement from the club or Tyreece. So it's all speculation.

"This is just a young kid who wants to play football. If you're him, or his parents, or his agent, you're looking at the players ahead of him... James Norwood, out of contract; Kayden Jackson, out of contract, Macauley Bonne, not our player... And Tyreece can't get on our bench? Would you tell him to sign a contract? That's not about greed, that's about wanting to see a pathway.

"Again, I take that stuff personally."

ON FLYNN DOWNES...

"Another big thing is the amount of work that me and Bryan (Klug) did with Flynn Downes.
"Flynn was in the bomb squad which, by the way, I totally agreed with because I was in the meeting when he said to Paul Cook that he would like to move on.

"But he's always been emotional. He's that type of character. So me and BK were good for him. We listened to him, we understood him. We got to the point where we arranged a truce meeting with him and Paul Cook so that it could be agreed that he could stay.

"But it was two alpha males going at it, the meeting didn't go to plan and Flynn left.

"Either myself or Bryan should have been in that room. If I could have persuaded Flynn to stay we would have had a midfield of Sam Morsy and Flynn Downes and would be top of the league! I'm telling you now, Flynn Downes will go for £10m this summer to a Premier League club.

"That pains me because I could have made a difference and I let that slip after we out all that work in."

Kieron Dyer says he was inspired to quit Ipswich Town after hearing a speech from England manager Gareth Southgate while on his Pro Licence.

ON NOT WANTING TO BE A 'HYPOCRITE'...

"I'm on module three of my Pro Licence - it's a fantastic course. The A Licence is all about coaching on the pitch. The Pro Licence is about how you deal with board rooms, decision making and the culture of football clubs.

"We've had some great speakers: Gareth Southgate, Sue Baroness, Damien Hughes, who does the High Performance podcast. One of the big things they all talk about is alignment. They say to have a culture everyone has to be aligned and that everyone needs to be pulling in the right direction.

"The big one was Gareth's presentation about how he empowers his staff and the cultures he puts in place.

"Gamechangers and Mark Ashton have come in and they have a vision for how the club should be, how the first team should be, how the women's team should be and how the academy should be.

"Since starting this course in January it's got me thinking - and it pains me to say this - how I don't agree with that vision. I was staying in the job and going through the motions. I'm talking to players about behaviours and they're looking at me seeing my body language is down. That makes me a hypocrite.

"Listen, I'm not saying their vision is wrong and my morales are right. They have owned and run football clubs and I haven't.

"This is probably the best time to be at this football club when you look at the unlimited budget and the fact we have got one of the most terrific young managers in the English game. I think I'm a good coach, but he's shown me I have got to go to another level.

"I'm getting kind of emotional, but I feel I have got to be a bigger person and distance myself from it. It's sad to say, but I can't be a hypocrite.

"I did the second module of the course two weeks ago and it just gave me real clarity that 'do you know what, for the greater good of this club I have to sacrifice myself

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Mar 25, 2022 2:09 pm

Excellent stuff, Hallam.

Only thing i’d disagree on is Butcher. Them being friends is great, brilliant …… no doubt Big Tel is a great bloke.
But he’s more dinosaury than Mick McCaaaaaaarthy in thinking.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Mar 25, 2022 2:18 pm

Good post Liz and an interesting read. I didn’t make it too the end because I’d already concluded that KD is an emotional little bunny with a huge chip on his shoulder and unlikely to have the required level of emotional intelligence to manage a football club. He probably needs to accept his level of expertise and competence and seek employment to suit which should still provide him with a decent level of income. I hate to raise the health issue, but it’s unlikely a new employer would want to take him on in a senior management role given the potential for further related issues. Other than that of course I wish him well.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Mar 27, 2022 9:50 am

Stuart Watson tweeted this yesterday during the game.

Kieron Dyer sat a few rows in front of the press box. He's wearing an away shirt with 'Humphreys 30' printed on the back

Even if its a bit tongue in cheek, still a bit silly. His decision to move on.... so he should move on.