League 1 - Ipswich Town vs Plymouth Argyle Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

A big win for Paul Mariner?

Ipswich Win
65%
Plymouth Win
6%
Draw
29%

Total votes: 17

Frosty
Forum Owner

League 1 - Ipswich Town vs Plymouth Argyle Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Frosty » Thu Mar 24, 2022 8:48 pm

Image Ipswich Town v Plymouth Argyle Image

Saturday 26th March 2022 – 15:00

Portman Road

Pre-Match Thoughts - Mike

A Cruel Cruel Blow !!.........

Oxford's 95th minute equaliser was not only the cruellest of blows on the day it could well be the terminal blow to our outside chances of reaching the play offs. To say it was totally undeserved and completely against the run of play would be fair, a defence that has stood so firm in recent weeks and keeping clean sheets for fun just had to see out the last 30 seconds to record a fabulous win at a fellow play off opponent but alas it was not to be, I don't believe in pointing fingers at certain individuals who had up to then played so well, instead I'd rather dwell on just how fortunate Oxford were in getting the corner in the first place that led to their goals, such fine margins that could prove so very very costly for us.

It's often said we struggle to beat the top teams and while results are not always what is wanted or needed I do question whether our record is actually as bad as some would have it. Having beaten Wycombe twice shows we can do it, against Sunderland we probably should have won both games, certainly at their place we deserved to win only to be beaten by Two sucker punch goals, Two draws against Oxford could and probably should have been wins, Two draws against MK Dons wasn't bad but the game up at their place saw us dominate for long spells, we also managed to get a very creditable draw away at Wigan, in fact only Rotherham have really beaten us with little trouble, we also tasted defeat at Plymouth courtesy of a Cook masterclass, so all in all our record stands up quite well.

With games running out I think it is fair to say we will almost certainly be planning for life in League One yet again but I am firmly of the opinion that should KM get the strikers sorted out and 2 or 3 more other astute signings then we will take some beating and will finally get out of this poor division.

Of course this season isn't over yet but needing something like Six wins required and the likes of Rotherham, Wigan and Plymouth still to play the omens don't look great but you just never know, add in the fact the Rotherham game is now on Sky TV and its just One more hurdle to tackle, our record suggests we are doomed.

First up is a home game against a bang in form Plymouth Argyle side who at one time looked to be slipping out of the play off scene but thanks to a superb run of Six straight wins they have catapulted themselves right back into the fight and are currently the in form side in the division. I just have a feeling Town will win this one and with Two of their best players missing due to international call ups it presents us with a great chance to prolong our season further.

Another good crowd will be present to hopefully get Town over the line and on a day when we remember and pay tribute to the great Paul Mariner how fitting would it be for us to find our scoring boots and convert some of the chances we create, one thing is for sure, if Paul Mariner was in the team it would be a no brainer, let's rise to the occasion and do him proud. Town win. COYB'S.

The Opposition – Plymouth Argyle

The club was founded in 1886 as Argyle Football Club, the first match taking place on 16 October 1886.

Much speculation surrounds the origin of the name Argyle. One explanation is that the club was named after the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders, an army regiment with a strong football side of its own. Another theory is given by the local geography–suggesting the name comes either from the nearby public house, The Argyle Tavern, where the founder members may have met, or from a local street Argyle Terrace. The club adopted its current name when it became fully professional in 1903.

The club was disbanded 1894, before being resurrected in 1897 as one part of a general sports club, the Argyle Athletic Club. The club joined the Southern League, effectively the English 3rd tier, in 1903 becoming professional in the process. Argyle won the Southern League in 1912–13, then in 1920–21 entered the Football League Third Division as a founder member, along with most of the Southern League, where they finished 11th in their first season.

Between 1921–22 and 1926–27, Argyle finished second in the new Third Division South six seasons in a row, thereby missing promotion. Argyle eventually won promotion to Football League Division Two in 1929–30, when they topped the Third Division South, with attendances that season regularly reaching 20,000. Manager Bob Jack resigned in 1937, having spent a grand total of 27 years in charge of the Pilgrims.

Argyle's 20-year stay in Division Two came to an end in 1949–50 after finishing 21st – two points short of survival. They were back in Division Two before long, after winning the Third Division South in 1951–52.

The closest they ever came to playing in the Football League First Division (top tier) was in 1952–53, when they reached fourth place in the Football League Second Division, their highest finish to date. They were relegated again in 1955–56, just 3 points behind Notts County. The Pilgrim's reputation as a 'yo-yo club' continued after they won Division Three – by then a national league – in 1958–59. Argyle returned to Division Three after relegation in 1967–68.

After spending six years in Division Three, Argyle finally returned to Division Two in 1974–75, but they were back down again in 1976–77.

Since then, the team has wavered between the 2nd and 3rd tier, before being double relegated in 2010–11. That was directly due to the club having been declared insolvent, following which they were deducted the 10 points they needed for survival. The club returned to the 3rd tier after finishing second in 2016–17.

On 14 August 2018, it was announced that shareholder Simon Hallett had purchased part of James Brent's stake in the club, and had become the new majority shareholder and owner, and that former director, David Felwick, would return to the club as chairman when Brent stepped down on 31 October 2018. However, on 10 October 2018, it was reported that David Felwick was unable to take over as chairman, citing personal reasons, so on 1 November 2018, Hallett became both majority owner and chair of Plymouth Argyle.

On 5 June 2019, Ryan Lowe brought Steven Schumacher with him upon leaving Bury to become Plymouth Argyle manager, with Schumacher appointed as his assistant manager. By the time he joined the club, Schumacher only just received his UEFA Pro License A. Together with Lowe, Schumacher's contributions helped Plymouth Argyle to a third-place finish and an immediate return to League One in a season interrupted by the COVID-19 pandemic in the United Kingdom.

On 7 December 2021, following the departure of Lowe in order to take a job at Preston North End, Schumacher was swiftly appointed manager of Plymouth Argyle.

Last season Plymouth finished in 18th place with 53 points.

The Manager – Steven Schumacher

Form Guide

Ipswich Last 5 Matches – Currently in 9th place with 61 points

26 Feb Morecambe 1 - 1 Ipswich Town

5 Mar Fleetwood 0 - 2 Ipswich Town

8 Mar Ipswich Town 2 - 0 Lincoln City

12 Mar Ipswich Town 0 - 0 Portsmouth

19 Mar Oxford Utd 1 - 1 Ipswich Town

Plymouth Argyle Last 5 Matches – Currently in 4th place with 71 points

5 Mar Plymouth 2 - 0 Morecambe

8 Mar Plymouth 2 - 0 AFC Wimbledon

12 Mar Bolton 0 - 1 Plymouth

15 Mar Plymouth 1 - 0 Portsmouth

19 Mar Plymouth 4 - 0 Accrington

Match Referee – David Rock

IPSWICH TOWN 1 PLYMOUTH ARGYLE 1

MasseyFerguson

Re: League 1 - Ipswich Town vs Plymouth Argyle Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by MasseyFerguson » Fri Mar 25, 2022 12:11 am

I think we will win. Probably 1-0. It will keep our interest in the playoffs race going for a while longer. I still think we have run out of road, unfortunately. Please let me be wrong.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Mar 25, 2022 8:15 am

Draw. We can’t score goals .

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Mar 25, 2022 1:59 pm

Every angle you look at this fixture points to a Plymouth win.

They are the current form side of League 1 with 6 straight wins and a maximum 18 points - 12 goals scored and Nil against.

We’ve only won 2 of our last 6 games and drawn 4.

In our latest fixtures against the same 6 opponents they’ve just beaten, we have 2 wins ( Accrington & Wimbledon) 3 draws ( Cheltenham, Portsmouth & Morecambe) and one defeat ( Bolton) - 7 goals for and 2 against ( Accrington & Morecambe)

They have no problem scoring against sides that have kept clean sheets against us.

They are currently averaging 2 goals a game compared to our 1.

Believe it or not their defence has conceded 2 less than us in the last 6 games albeit 0 v 2.

This is going to be our toughest game for a long time.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Fri Mar 25, 2022 3:26 pm

Voted to win in only that we have to. Kind of lost count how many games unbeaten it is now but figure around twelve. Pity is if only the team could take the chances they create we'd be on the verge of a top six finish. Maybe it's the supply or they're lacking confidence, can't quite present a full and proper evaluation of the relevant deficiencies.

it's a home fixture, should be in excess of 25,000 and one of the last games at PR this season. Expect a vociferous, colorful support but it's ultimately down to the team as to how it goes. Every dropped point from here on will be crucial. We got to make the most of these home advantage.

ITFC 2 Plymouth 0

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Mar 25, 2022 5:31 pm

Bloody great preview...... and this:

Another good crowd will be present to hopefully get Town over the line and on a day when we remember and pay tribute to the great Paul Mariner how fitting would it be for us to find our scoring boots and convert some of the chances we create, one thing is for sure, if Paul Mariner was in the team it would be a no brainer, let's rise to the occasion and do him proud. Town win. COYB'S.

(Sorry Tangfastic, stealing your idea of colour)........, RIP Paul Mariner and YES, he'd be scoring every one of Bonne's, Norwoods, Sears' sitters AND other non sitters. (Mike says: My grannys dug would score Sears' sitters)......., great day to remember a legend of the club. Yes , yes, I know the term is used too much these days, ...., but he is most definitely an Ipswich Town FC legend. Think it might be a night to get out the Ipswich Town goals DVD from yesteryear. Is the new one in the ITFC shop yet? Think its titled "IPSWICH TOWN GOALS FOR THE OVER 50's WHO ARE TRAPPED IN THE PAST!"

One other way to look at a positive for tomorrow (and for the remainder of the season) ------ >> these clubs (whoever go up) will NO DOUBT be getting relegated next year. So they're all shyte!! :lol:

2-0 ITFC @ Portman Road

Captions for manager & referee combined:

Player: "Hey ref. Not too sure about those initials on the Plymouth guys trousers. Might offend some people."
Ref; "Hey, ye wanna see my BEST Adolf impression? "NEIN, NEIN NEIN, NO PENALTY!"

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Fri Mar 25, 2022 6:23 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Fri Mar 25, 2022 1:59 pm

They are the current form side of League 1 with 6 straight wins and a maximum 18 points - 12 goals scored and Nil against.

In our latest fixtures against the same 6 opponents they’ve just beaten, we have 2 wins ( Accrington & Wimbledon) 3 draws ( Cheltenham, Portsmouth & Morecambe) and one defeat ( Bolton) - 7 goals for and 2 against ( Accrington & Morecambe)

They have no problem scoring against sides that have kept clean sheets against us.

Believe it or not their defence has conceded 2 less than us in the last 6 games albeit 0 v 2.

But other than that, Charny - we should be feeling pretty confident?? 😂

shabba

Post by shabba » Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:12 pm

0-0

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:35 pm

they have got to come unstuck sooner or later, snd thats tomorrow!

2 - 1 win to the boys in blue!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Mar 25, 2022 8:48 pm

Blue Wilf wrote:
Fri Mar 25, 2022 6:23 pm
Charnwood wrote:

Lmao, I was slitting my wrists too, Town win 4-0

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:17 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Fri Mar 25, 2022 8:48 pm
Blue Wilf wrote:
Fri Mar 25, 2022 6:23 pm
Charnwood wrote:

Lmao, I was slitting my wrists too, Town win 4-0

I’ll be looking out for that on your predictions in the morning.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:22 pm

Seriously Mike we could win tomorrow but if we do it’s more likely to be by a narrow margin 1- 0 maybe as long as the ref is on our side for a change. I think 0-0 is more likely although that simply won’t be good enough for us .
Unfortunately the pressure will be on us not them, I just hope it’s an entertaining game, I also hope I can find a way to watch if. 🤞

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:52 pm

I won't be predicting 4-0 lol but I do think we will win.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Mar 26, 2022 12:31 am

Bluemike wrote:
Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:52 pm
I won't be predicting 4-0 lol but I do think we will win.
I hope you’re right Mike, at least it would keep our season alive for another week. 👍

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Mar 26, 2022 12:35 am

I can’t believe I’m away for the last four games of the season, what bad planning is that !

rossi

Post by rossi » Sat Mar 26, 2022 9:31 am

I havn't voted, still will not vote 'anonymously' and then comment, so I feel free to make a prediction.

Ipswich 3 - Plymouth 1

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Mar 26, 2022 10:19 am

It’s all a bit light hearted Gary …. We’ll meant to be anyway lol . I hope your prediction is right 👍

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Mar 26, 2022 11:12 am

I do hope you’re right Rossi we really could do with a huge confidence boosting win to take the pressure off our strikers who all seem to be a little edgy at the moment.

I think it’s the sort of game that could really open up if we get an early goal, but alternatively if both teams cancel one another out and we don’t see an early goal it could stay goalless for 90 mins.

I just hope it’s the former as it has the potential to be the game of the season with Celina scoring a MOTM hat trick.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Mar 26, 2022 11:16 am

It's a bit early for Sangria Charny.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Mar 26, 2022 11:32 am

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Mar 26, 2022 11:16 am

My brain has probably got damp from all the rain we’ve had this week, 5 months worth in as many days. ☔️☔️☔️

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sat Mar 26, 2022 11:43 am

Charnwood wrote:
Sat Mar 26, 2022 11:32 am
Bluemike wrote:

My brain has probably got damp from all the rain we’ve had this week, 5 months worth in as many days. ☔️☔️☔️
Has been a gorgeous week in Gran Canaria! Just saying! :wink:
Mind you, has been a shortage of beer after some British guy was let loose a few weeks ago! :P :lol:

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Mar 26, 2022 11:44 am

Bluemike wrote:
Ha ha ha :lol: :lol: lol

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Mar 26, 2022 11:52 am

AzzurroMark wrote:
Sat Mar 26, 2022 11:43 am
Charnwood wrote:
Sat Mar 26, 2022 11:32 am
Bluemike wrote:

Has been a gorgeous week in Gran Canaria! Just saying! :wink:
Mind you, has been a shortage of beer after some British guy was let loose a few weeks ago! :P :lol:
LMAO, I was in Fuerteventura so not guilty, weather was fab there too

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Mar 26, 2022 1:16 pm

That’s not a pint, it’s a bucket :lol:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Mar 26, 2022 1:30 pm

I keep telling Lynn to cut down LOL.

shabba

Post by shabba » Sat Mar 26, 2022 3:03 pm

Quite surprised to see Norwood starting ahead of Bonne.

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Sat Mar 26, 2022 3:06 pm

Celina and Aluko...yes at last. Norwood we will see.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Mar 26, 2022 3:12 pm

shabba wrote:
Sat Mar 26, 2022 3:03 pm
Quite surprised to see Norwood starting ahead of Bonne.

I guess it’s all about confidence, whoever started I think we would see both feature over the 90 mins.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Mar 26, 2022 3:13 pm

mendipblue wrote:
Sat Mar 26, 2022 3:06 pm
Celina and Aluko...yes at last. Norwood we will see.
I like this too 👍

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Mar 26, 2022 3:14 pm

Just hoping and praying 🙏 I can find a way to watch this 🤞