League 1 - Ipswich Town vs Plymouth Argyle Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

A big win for Paul Mariner?

Ipswich Win
65%
Plymouth Win
6%
Draw
29%

Total votes: 17

Shed on tour

Re: League 1 - Ipswich Town vs Plymouth Argyle Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Shed on tour » Sat Mar 26, 2022 7:40 pm

That might have been a painful watch for me (bloody hurt my knee at Oxford) but so glad I made the effort. It is so good to be able to look forward to going to Portman Road and knowing that there is every chance that you will see a decent performance even it doesn’t always means a win.
Very much deserved win today and tbh I can’t remember Walton having a serious save to make. Well done Town!

Rodenbach Ex-pat

Post by Rodenbach Ex-pat » Sat Mar 26, 2022 7:43 pm

Getting worried with you in Canaryland and the colour of that beer with shade. 🤣🤣🤣

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Mar 26, 2022 7:47 pm

Shed on tour wrote:
Sat Mar 26, 2022 7:40 pm
That might have been a painful watch for me (bloody hurt my knee at Oxford) but so glad I made the effort. It is so good to be able to look forward to going to Portman Road and knowing that there is every chance that you will see a decent performance even it doesn’t always means a win.
Very much deserved win today and tbh I can’t remember Walton having a serious save to make. Well done Town!

You’re spot on about Walton, they didn’t manage a single shot on target. They have one hell of a run in too with only one of their remaining 6 games ( Burton (a)) not against sides above us in the table

Andym

Post by Andym » Sat Mar 26, 2022 8:07 pm

Shed on tour wrote:
Agree with all of that. I’d have been really disappointed if we hadn’t won, but the football were played in the first half was so good to watch. I can’t remember the last time we played as well as we are now. It is certainly very entertaining. I’m meeting up with my brother I’m law next weekend in Peterborough; he’s a Villa fan, so we are meeting sort of halfway. I’m hoping to drive back for the match; I offered to get him a ticket but he wasn’t interested. I think he’d have been surprised by the quality of football a league 1 side is playing.

I appreciate we have a decent squad but I think it’s to the manager’s credit that he can take someone else’s squad and get them playing so much better football. That’s what worried me with Cook; I felt the squad he inherited was decent (although subsequent events suggest I was wrong). But he could do nothing with them and ended up shipping them all out. That was never an encouraging sign.

My only real worry is recruitment. There have been posts here regarding who scouts and recruits and makes the final decisions on signings. I guess none of us know the answer. McKenna has done enough to convince me he can get a team playing good football, but whether he (or whoever makes such decisions) can get in the reinforcements we need, we will have to wait and see.

A final comment (from me) on the striker debate. Are they not good enough or aren’t we making chances for them? Today we didn’t quite deliver the final ball well enough; apart from Burns’ shocker at the end, we hadn’t been creating enough. Likewise corners. I said it a few weeks ago, but when did were last score from a corner or any other set piece? I’m tending to side with the strikers; I don’t think they get good enough service.

In praise of Morsy. I remember saying regularly about Skuse that he was good when the opposition had the ball but hopeless when we were in possession. Morsy wants the ball. He drives forward with it. And (something else I criticised in the MM era) he is getting in the box when we attack. Like Celina last time out. It is great to see someone busting a gut to get in the box.

MasseyFerguson

Post by MasseyFerguson » Sat Mar 26, 2022 8:18 pm

Andym wrote:
Sat Mar 26, 2022 8:07 pm
Shed on tour wrote:
Agree with all of that. I’d have been really disappointed if we hadn’t won, but the football were played in the first half was so good to watch. I can’t remember the last time we played as well as we are now. It is certainly very entertaining. I’m meeting up with my brother I’m law next weekend in Peterborough; he’s a Villa fan, so we are meeting sort of halfway. I’m hoping to drive back for the match; I offered to get him a ticket but he wasn’t interested. I think he’d have been surprised by the quality of football a league 1 side is playing.

I appreciate we have a decent squad but I think it’s to the manager’s credit that he can take someone else’s squad and get them playing so much better football. That’s what worried me with Cook; I felt the squad he inherited was decent (although subsequent events suggest I was wrong). But he could do nothing with them and ended up shipping them all out. That was never an encouraging sign.

My only real worry is recruitment. There have been posts here regarding who scouts and recruits and makes the final decisions on signings. I guess none of us know the answer. McKenna has done enough to convince me he can get a team playing good football, but whether he (or whoever makes such decisions) can get in the reinforcements we need, we will have to wait and see.

A final comment (from me) on the striker debate. Are they not good enough or aren’t we making chances for them? Today we didn’t quite deliver the final ball well enough; apart from Burns’ shocker at the end, we hadn’t been creating enough. Likewise corners. I said it a few weeks ago, but when did were last score from a corner or any other set piece? I’m tending to side with the strikers; I don’t think they get good enough service.

In praise of Morsy. I remember saying regularly about Skuse that he was good when the opposition had the ball but hopeless when we were in possession. Morsy wants the ball. He drives forward with it. And (something else I criticised in the MM era) he is getting in the box when we attack. Like Celina last time out. It is great to see someone busting a gut to get in the box.
Not for the first time, I find myself agreeing with everything you wrote.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Mar 26, 2022 8:44 pm

KM praising Bakinson, you muppets know nothing :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Mar 26, 2022 8:45 pm

Rodenbach Ex-pat wrote:
Sat Mar 26, 2022 7:43 pm
Getting worried with you in Canaryland and the colour of that beer with shade. 🤣🤣🤣
Lmao, never noticed that, feel sick now 😂

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Mar 26, 2022 8:54 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Mar 26, 2022 8:45 pm
Rodenbach Ex-pat wrote:
Sat Mar 26, 2022 7:43 pm
Lmao, never noticed that, feel sick now 😂
Don’t worry Mike it’s only the suns reflection through the beer mat. Get a pint like that in a pub in Ipswich is when you need to start worrying.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Mar 26, 2022 9:06 pm

Andym wrote:
Sat Mar 26, 2022 8:07 pm
[quote="Shed on tour"

[/quote]
Great post Andym👍

Your point you’ve raised about Cook not being above to do anything with the squad he inherited whereas McKenna is able to get a tune out the squad he’s inherited , kinda backs up my thoughts last season, that it’s down to the players willingness to play for the manager. That squad Cook inherited had according to Cook “already brought down two previous managers and wouldn’t do the same to him” ….hence the demolition man quote, after they’d clearly downed tools on him.

McKenna has such pedigree that this new squad clearly does totally invest in what McKenna is trying to get over to them. They’re 100% on board. The players are interested. And it shows 👍

On your point about the quality of crosses not being quite there today (strikers not scoring etc). Mike and me actually commented on that during the game, and we thought there were some really good crosses into the box in that first half, and Burns got in to some brilliant positions (he should have scored twice in that first half), and how the hell he missed an empty bloody goal at the end of the game I’ll never know …criminal! And that’s our Achilles heel this season, we can’t finish teams off and we don’t 5ake the multiple chances we create in a game, Which always leaves the “Oxford” outcome likely to happen. Under Cook at the start of the season we gave up 15 points from winning positions for the same problem.

The strikers will be one of the main focuses in the summer wont it, along with a possible left back/ left wing back/ left winger..

But as you say , we are playing some Brazilian style football ….I can’t wait for next season tbh …

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun Mar 27, 2022 12:48 am

Thought we'd win even if some didn't. Would have got a correct 2 - 0 prediction if Burns has taken a relatively easy chance but it's about the team (and) not trying to compete or achieve elsewhere. They said 11 League games unbeaten, was thinking it were more 13 but the turnaround has been immense since Cook vacated. Was skeptical when McKenna first came in but one more time he takes any or all accolades going. Pity is not sure if the club can hang on to him in the long term.

A large crowd today once again and while another victory we seem to be playing catch-up (all too) often to the promotion places. If's and but's regards dropped points before and leaving it arguably too late to remove unwanted personnel from the club name. If we had played like we have since turn of year starting in August this club would be competing an automatic promotion place at this moment in time.

All said it was a crucial victory against a strong opposition, one who don't lose all too often. Morsy's goal won't win any award but it decided today and the upturn continues. Got to check up on last remaining fixtures to gain a greater understanding of what to (feasibly) expect in the last few weeks ahead.

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Sun Mar 27, 2022 9:28 am

I really look forward to hearing the post match interviews from Kieran. Isn't it just great for a manager to answer questions, to be honest whether win, lose or draw? A manager who doesn't go on about himself, a manager can actually understand without him suddenly wheezing and mostly a manager who makes perfect sense and one who doesn't sound angry all the time

KM mentioned that he wants to see more scruffy goals, improve on the set pieces, more opposition own goals that we force, scoring from a ball coming off back side and so on. That for me is the missing link. We are great to watch though

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Mar 27, 2022 10:01 am

Steve and Jo wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 9:28 am
I really look forward to hearing the post match interviews from Kieran. Isn't it just great for a manager to answer questions, to be honest whether win, lose or draw? A manager who doesn't go on about himself, a manager can actually understand without him suddenly wheezing and mostly a manager who makes perfect sense and one who doesn't sound angry all the time

KM mentioned that he wants to see more scruffy goals, improve on the set pieces, more opposition own goals that we force, scoring from a ball coming off back side and so on. That for me is the missing link. We are great to watch though
Couldn't agree more- good to hear that from him. We work so hard to get on top and play some great football, but we could make our lives easier scoring more ugly goals from set-pieces. Could be the difference next season. Getting a bit edgy in the last few minutes when they had a couple of setpieces, but defence was magnificent again. Can't rely on them though all the time.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Mar 27, 2022 11:04 am

Its great to read how everyone is so upbeat, I'm loving the way the club is moving forward under the new owners. Fantastic times ahead

Denny61

Post by Denny61 » Sun Mar 27, 2022 12:28 pm

In our last 6 games..im expecting us to.beat Cambridge Charlton Shrewsbury crewe ...so with Rotherham and Wigan still within easy reach of few other clubs playing for those automatic places.at the time we play them..it won't be easy..as mentioned before we have to pick up.4 points from those matches to keep the miracle alive .it may be easier considering those teams with play football and will want the win at the time and won't be parking the bus ..so that will only suit us as space will open us for our players to relish in..I Can't wait.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Mar 27, 2022 1:07 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 11:04 am
Its great to read how everyone is so upbeat, I'm loving the way the club is moving forward under the new owners. Fantastic times ahead
Genuinely believe it is fantastic times ahead for Ipswich Town FC. Been reading various match reports over the past few weeks and they’ve all got the positive vibe.

I think the belief is this: even if every player at the club left after the 46th game, KMcK would still get the best out of the next group of players. So refreshing. Probably how Bournemouth fans were feeling during the Eddie Howe years.

And re conversations about him being poached away……. Don’t think that’ll happen when in League One. And then when in the Championship; if the American owners are SERIOUS, they’ll not allow it to happen. They’ll pay him sufficiently enough to play out their vision of Gamechanger Ipswich back in the EPL.

What happens after that is anyones guess because thats a different world completely these days.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Sun Mar 27, 2022 3:48 pm

:D What I liked about this game was we made Plymouth look very ordinary, and their lineup was similar to Oxfords, 5 across the middle denotes they came here for a draw, but all the Plymouth managers excuses on how many of his players were out injured, etc, etc, no you were outplayed by a much better Ipswich side who also have players out injured.

I can see Plymouths promotion push dropping off if their so-called injury list doesn't improve, and they keep playing like yesterday's performance :D

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Mar 27, 2022 10:41 pm

Well they certainly have a tough run in Ash but may have enough points already in the bag to see them into the playoffs.

Plymouth ( currently 74 points) games remaining;

Oxford (h)
Burton (a)
Wycombe (a)
Sunderland (h)
Wigan (a)
MK Dons (h)

They are 10 points clear of us and may already have done enough but I don’t envy their run and they may have a few nervy moments as they still need 8 or 9 points to be sure.

Personally I think there will be a cluster of clubs with circa 79/80 points sitting +/- the play off fringes.

The only way we can be part of that requires us to win at least 5 of our last 6 games.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Mar 28, 2022 6:52 pm

ashfordblue wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 3:48 pm
:D What I liked about this game was we made Plymouth look very ordinary, and their lineup was similar to Oxfords, 5 across the middle denotes they came here for a draw, but all the Plymouth managers excuses on how many of his players were out injured, etc, etc, no you were outplayed by a much better Ipswich side who also have players out injured.

I can see Plymouths promotion push dropping off if their so-called injury list doesn't improve, and they keep playing like yesterday's performance :D
Very true Ash, and let’s not forget how many players Town have out injured

Edmundson
KVY
Evans
Jackson

Any one of those would walk into their team.

I’ve noticed quite a few “ top” teams in this division making excuses when we’ve played them off the park. We’re two decent strikers away from blasting this crap division out of the water.