World Cup 2022 / Italy & Canada

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Charnwood
Global Moderator

World Cup 2022 / Italy & Canada

Post by Charnwood » Fri Mar 25, 2022 2:48 pm

How on earth did UEFA 2020 Champions Italy manage to get knocked out of the World Cup 2022 Play Offs last night by Northern Macedonia with its tiny less than Rome population of 2 million.

Unbelievable that Italy ranked 6th in the world have now failed to qualify for two consecutive World Cup tournaments, the latest just 9 months after winning Euro 2020 beating Belgium QF, Spain SF and England in the Final.

Football is definitely a funny old game.

arana peligrosa

Re: World Cup 2022 / Italy

Post by arana peligrosa » Fri Mar 25, 2022 3:18 pm

f**king hell great minds think alike, was just about to submit the very same thing without even seeing the title.

Got the news some ten minutes ago, a loss on home soil to North Macedonia, thus they won't play at the World Cup tournament. Winner came in injury time to cause a big shock, can recall a similar thing with France and Bulgaria years back in Paris. The latter went on to make the semi-final stages of all things.

It's just another loss to a competition that already seems tarnished. Hosting the damn thing in Qatar in Winter was a mistake from the start but what can you do. Be a bit of a mess when the time arises but Wales at least had a positive score last night and seem on the verge of qualification. About time too since last appearance was back in the 1950's.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Mar 25, 2022 3:41 pm

Bloody good job, bunch of play acting cheats.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Mar 25, 2022 4:03 pm

Like many I was strongly against the World Cup being awarded to Qatar almost certainly as a result of a corrupt process involving both Sepp Blatter & Michel Platini who I believe still face criminal charges. Despite this I think it will be a good entertaining world played mid season by teams with players at peak levels of fitness and performance as opposed to being played at the end of the season when players are completely exhausted, especially those who’ve got through to the latter stages of European and other Continental Cups.

Despite fears of the heat in Qatar December is one of the coolest months of the year there with temps circa 24/25° which will really suit the European teams.

Combine the weather with the time of year the Tournament is being played I think we’re in for a good World Cup.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Mar 25, 2022 6:12 pm

There is a major downside to this. Bruno's Cafe in Marchmont, Edinburgh was BOUNCING on Italy game nights. (As it is on any AC Milano night)....., bit gutted the Italians won't be there. "HEY MARKO, FREE GARLIC BREAD FOR YOU"........, need to wait for Euro 24 for free garlic bread? Feckin nightmare.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Re: World Cup 2022 / Italy & Canada

Post by Charnwood » Mon Mar 28, 2022 4:19 pm

First Italy fail to qualify for a second successive World Cup whilst meanwhile Canada qualify for the first time since 1986.

Last night Canada beat Jamaica 4-0 to reach their first men's World Cup in 36 years.

Victory in Toronto means Canada are assured of finishing in one of the top three places in the final stage of Concacaf qualifying for Qatar 2022.

I wonder what the next surprise will be ? Anyone for Scotland ?

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Mar 28, 2022 6:28 pm

Eh? Ginger, fair skinned, freckled cants in Qatar???
Naw. We do not wish to qualify.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Mar 28, 2022 7:18 pm

marko69 wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 6:28 pm

Ukraine would be pleased to hear that, at least it would give them something to look forward to.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:04 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 7:18 pm
marko69 wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 6:28 pm

Ukraine would be pleased to hear that, at least it would give them something to look forward to.
There was a scottish sports chat show discussing that we should allow ukraine to go to the WC and we stand aside. I voted stand aside. Two reasons…… 1/ good for Ukraine, and 2/ Qatar? Fk that sh*t.

They’ll beat us anyway in a qualifier. 🤷‍♂️

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:32 pm

I don’t think anyone would expect native’s of a country that has never progressed beyond the Group Stage of a Major Tournament to really show any interest in a World Cup, but for countries like North Macedonia with less than half the population of Scotland, and Canada relatively new to the game, this is a huge achievement especially Canada who will be one of the 3 host countries for the FIFA World Cup 2026 to be held in North America.

I agree Qatar is a strange venue to hold a World Cup as is Canada, but football is now a far more global game than ever it has been before and every continent will want a slice of the action. The days of this tournament doing Ping-Pong between Europe and South America every four years are over and we just have to get used to it.

Who knows it may even reach Frosty in Australasia/Oceania one of these days.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:00 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 4:19 pm
First Italy fail to qualify for a second successive World Cup whilst meanwhile Canada qualify for the first time since 1986.

Last night Canada beat Jamaica 4-0 to reach their first men's World Cup in 36 years.

Victory in Toronto means Canada are assured of finishing in one of the top three places in the final stage of Concacaf qualifying for Qatar 2022.

I wonder what the next surprise will be ? Anyone for Scotland ?
Don’t Jason de Vos snd Frank Yallop have an input to the Canadian national team ?

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:41 am

I’m not sure Liz although I’ll look it up later. Their Head Coach John Heardman is English and began his coaching career with the Sunderland Academy. https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/60144426

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:43 am

Here are the answers Liz, copied and paste direct from Google.

Jason Richard de Vos is the director of development for the Canadian Soccer Association.

Frank Walter Yallop is a British-Canadian professional soccer coach. Yallop is currently the head coach and sporting director of USL Championship side Monterey Bay FC.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Mar 29, 2022 2:30 pm

Wrong Charnwood. We love going to the WC and we enjoy it. We lap the atmosphere up and bond well with all nations, even the English with the exception of a handful of clowns. Never progressed but our memories are cherished. Archie in 78, Warks double v NZ, Strachan trying to leap the board v Uruguay, sweden in 90, opening game in 98 …… the ultimate disappointment is met with 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️, oh well we try again. And we’ve been trying. (Very trying :lol: )

But as said, Qatar? On the f**king equator? Fk that sh*t.

I also dont join in with the “pc” soccer across the globe. Its shyte. The vast majority of those countries couldnt give a sh*t…… the USA being a prize example from 94. Australia and oceania CERTAINLY couldnt give a sh*t. Its rugby and aussie rules down there and its winter sports and hockey in canada.

100% ok with it ping-ponging between Europe and South America. 👍👍👍

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:58 pm

Well Said Sir,
Couldn't have put it better myself. its just a cash cow for the organisers and dictators.
Even the Republic of Wolvo doesn't want it,

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:24 pm

I mean the MLS is fairly big within a SMALL group of Yankee doodle dandys but it’ll NEVER overtake the MLB, NFL, NBA, ice hockey or even College Football……. Thats actually bigger than the NFL.
The majority of 50 something Americans will not know what you’re on about with the Baggio missed penalty. No one cares.

Comes across as its big in Oz with the Melb V etc…… but again, having lived there. Nope. Not happening.

It’d be like having the world Sumo championships in London & not Tokyo. :lol:

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Tue Mar 29, 2022 10:18 pm

another way i look on your views on Australian football, If they had took football like they do cricket that serious they would do a lot better than us and
win things like the World Cup more than most , its a sporting country,

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Mar 29, 2022 10:48 pm

Yeah, good point, Wolfie. They no doubt would be up there with England in the soccer if they gave half a crap.

Aussie Rules season started last week. Almost 90K @ the MCG (on a Thursday night) for Richmond v Carlton. Awesome stuff 👍👌🏉

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Tue Mar 29, 2022 10:57 pm

marko69 wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 10:48 pm
Yeah, good point, Wolfie. They no doubt would be up there with England in the soccer if they gave half a crap.

Aussie Rules season started last week. Almost 90K @ the MCG (on a Thursday night) for Richmond v Carlton. Awesome stuff 👍👌🏉
Did you ever watch the great Rex Hunt and his fishing programme, brilliant stuff, he was Aussie rules player with Richmond ?

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Mar 30, 2022 1:02 am

For sure, Wolfie…… LOVE REX. I was at the 1980 Grand Final @ the G, Richo v Collingwood. Rexy was in the team. Defence. GREAT player.

And if you want to listen to some Rex, Wolfie…… catch him on 3AW radio from 11pm - midnight on a friday night and saturday night, OZ time so usually around midday, 1pm here. Funniest show around. Some of the calls he takes are hilarious from fans. :lol:

Edit to add, sorry wolfie, ……, to answer your question properly, i didn't really watch Rex in his fishing show as fishing not really my thing. But i know couple guys who did. 👍

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Wed Mar 30, 2022 2:38 pm

marko69 wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 1:02 am
For sure, Wolfie…… LOVE REX. I was at the 1980 Grand Final @ the G, Richo v Collingwood. Rexy was in the team. Defence. GREAT player.

And if you want to listen to some Rex, Wolfie…… catch him on 3AW radio from 11pm - midnight on a friday night and saturday night, OZ time so usually around midday, 1pm here. Funniest show around. Some of the calls he takes are hilarious from fans. :lol:

Edit to add, sorry wolfie, ……, to answer your question properly, i didn't really watch Rex in his fishing show as fishing not really my thing. But i know couple guys who did. 👍
Well worth watching even if your not into fishing, he must be getting on now ?
He even came to the UK to fish,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFsJ5O-2muA