League 1 - Ipswich Town vs Cambridge United Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Staying in the hunt?

Ipswich Win
94%
Cambridge Win
6%
Draw
No votes

Total votes: 17

marko69
Global Moderator

Re: League 1 - Ipswich Town vs Cambridge United Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by marko69 » Sun Apr 03, 2022 12:30 pm

number 9 wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 12:13 pm
The ITFC structure is the best it has been in over 20 years. Ashton & the american’s vision is refreshing from the head-banging leadership we endured for so long. In my opinion, KM is the messiah in a figurative sense. He’s breaking bread in football management and has already impressed everyone in so many ways. All of the above, is what’s right with the club now. So, what does that leave to fix? Once again, in my opinion we still need to fine tune the squad. Once KM has all the puzzle pieces in place, I think draws and losses will quickly transform into wins.

Marko you bring up the negative of losing to Cambridge at PR, right? That’s fair, but what about more than 26k in attendance for a league one match? Brilliant!!

COYB!!!
Oh yes, fantastic…….., 👏👏👏👏👏👏👏
But 26K in the championship would be better and that starts by beating Cambridge United @ Portman Road.

And err…….. i didnt bring up a negative. The negative IS ——>> losing @ home to Cambridge whether in front of 26K or my Nana and her ancient pussy.
(That is actually a cat. Its 23 years old)

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Sun Apr 03, 2022 12:39 pm

If we don't qualify for the play offs which looks likely now, that is definitely not KMc fault. The damage was done by the incompetence of Paul Cook and his poor coaching team which left us playing catch up. Yesterday was a very bad day at the office. KMc's only mistake was picking Carroll. The fact that Thompson was woeful and the rest were under par is just what happens sometimes.

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Sun Apr 03, 2022 1:25 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 11:07 am
Read this entire thread and just cannot get on board with the 🤷‍♂️ attitude. I know you lot will be pi$$ed off NO DOUBT MORE than me as home town supporters, but FUUUUK. Just ever so slightly getting peed off with the abundance of love. I think he’s great, he’s going to be better and he’s refreshing after whats been before…….. but ffs, Cambridge Utd @ PR. Jaysus fkn H. Honestly thought it’d be Morecambe & Cheltenham that’d be the ultimate play-off let downs……. But now the club who should only really excel in rowing boats come to “Fortress” Portman Road and win. 🤦‍♂️

Why the changes after the Plymouth game? Not asking KMcK , but asking anyone who knows on this site? Any of the older guys maybe? Why?
ALL of you could name an Ipswich line up years ago, born out of ability, effort and professionalism, ….. was virtually unchanged from week to week in a much tougher game (fkn pussies these days with their tissue injuries) …… and now they apply analytics and Cambridge previous videos and come up with a plan. 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Just play the fkn team with the ability to press press press and win LIKE THE REPORTS READ V PLYMOUTH.

Enjoying the new era. Cannot get on board licking the guys ring-piece because yesterday was a shocking result. Nope, agree, CANNOT win every game…….. but CAMBRIDGE @ PR. Thats a win.
bit of a 2 headed coin this,
I'm a great believer in giving managers and players all the support you can while they are at the club you support, contempt breads contempt and can either make a player think "stuff them I'll prove them wrong" or in the majority of players will lose motivation,
We have had players and managers i wouldn't let them take my dog for a walk, but supported them 100% while at the club.
To the players at Cambridge this was like there BIG MATCH and like we always see it raises their game 20%.
anyway that's my tuppence worth mate,

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Apr 03, 2022 1:34 pm

On board with that , Wolfie. Alloa Athletic with Michael Chopra looked like AC Milan at Easter Road. :lol:

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Sun Apr 03, 2022 1:41 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 1:34 pm
On board with that , Wolfie. Alloa Athletic with Michael Chopra looked like AC Milan at Easter Road. :lol:
its like us playing the ex European Champions, such an honour even them stepping foot in the Mol. :lol: we raised our game by minus 99 % to beat the Vile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3VX33g1f64

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Up7QBmpHnU

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Apr 03, 2022 1:48 pm

Sevco Stevie G out!

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Apr 03, 2022 1:49 pm

goldandblack wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 1:25 pm
marko69 wrote:
Read this entire thread and just cannot get on board with the 🤷‍♂️ attitude. I know you lot will be pi$$ed off NO DOUBT MORE than me as home town supporters, but FUUUUK. Just ever so slightly getting peed off with the abundance of love. I think he’s great, he’s going to be better and he’s refreshing after whats been before…….. but ffs, Cambridge Utd @ PR. Jaysus fkn H. Honestly thought it’d be Morecambe & Cheltenham that’d be the ultimate play-off let downs……. But now the club who should only really excel in rowing boats come to “Fortress” Portman Road and win. 🤦‍♂️

Why the changes after the Plymouth game? Not asking KMcK , but asking anyone who knows on this site? Any of the older guys maybe? Why?
ALL of you could name an Ipswich line up years ago, born out of ability, effort and professionalism, ….. was virtually unchanged from week to week in a much tougher game (fkn pussies these days with their tissue injuries) …… and now they apply analytics and Cambridge previous videos and come up with a plan. 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Just play the fkn team with the ability to press press press and win LIKE THE REPORTS READ V PLYMOUTH.

Enjoying the new era. Cannot get on board licking the guys ring-piece because yesterday was a shocking result. Nope, agree, CANNOT win every game…….. but CAMBRIDGE @ PR. Thats a win.
I'm a great believer in giving managers and players all the support you can while they are at the club you support, contempt breads contempt and can either make a player think "stuff them I'll prove them wrong" or in the majority of players will lose motivation,
We have had players and managers i wouldn't let them take my dog for a walk, but supported them 100% while at the club.
To the players at Cambridge this was like there BIG MATCH and like we always see it raises their game 20%.
I don't think Marko (as I read it) is not supporting the manager..... just asking "Can we not get so starry-eyed all the times and put things in perspective".

If McKenna's doing a 8.5 /10 job then there's some who are demanding we look at him as doing a 10/10 or 11/10 job. It's hardly criticism. MCKenna is getting heaps of deserved praise but we should have won a few more matches . Cook's terrible start or not. And McKenna's honest enough to admit that. We don't create enough.... we don't score enough from set-pieces.... we need to find other ways to win. His words and that's down to him as he admits. No blaming shithousery, refs, bad luck, individual players, etc. His fans are more sensitive than he is.

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Sun Apr 03, 2022 1:59 pm

Tangfastic wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 1:49 pm
goldandblack wrote:
marko69 wrote:

I don't think Marko (as I read it) is not supporting the manager..... just asking "Can we not get so starry-eyed all the times and put things in perspective".

If McKenna's doing a 8.5 /10 job then there's some who are demanding we look at him as doing a 10/10 or 11/10 job. It's hardly criticism. MCKenna is getting heaps of deserved praise but we should have won a few more matches . Cook's terrible start or not. And McKenna's honest enough to admit that. We don't create enough.... we don't score enough from set-pieces.... we need to find other ways to win. His words and that's down to him as he admits. No blaming shithousery, refs, bad luck, individual players, etc. His fans are more sensitive than he is.
I wasnt disagreeing with Marko but just my view on things Tang
better to have the starry-eyed fans than the Derek type's who lived off there clubs losing, anyway your be running out of managers to chose from the way things are going , Get behind him I say.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Apr 03, 2022 2:04 pm

There's no such thing as a 10/10 manager, especially one who's been a manager for less than 20 games while in his thirties with someone else's squad who made that squad look sh*te. If Mckenna has room for improvement then God help Cook.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Apr 03, 2022 2:06 pm

goldandblack wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 1:59 pm
Tangfastic wrote:
goldandblack wrote:

better to have the starry-eyed fans than the Derek type's who lived off there clubs losing, anyway your be running out of managers to chose from the way things are going , Get behind him I say.

WE ARE GETTING BEHIND HIM :D Everyone thinks he's doing a great job. Some more than others. Where does this non-support come from?
Would be nice to express the tiniest bit of disappointment over losing at home to Cambridge.

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Sun Apr 03, 2022 2:27 pm

Tangfastic wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 2:06 pm
goldandblack wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 1:59 pm
Tangfastic wrote:

WE ARE GETTING BEHIND HIM :D Everyone thinks he's doing a great job. Some more than others. Where does this non-support come from?
Would be nice to express the tiniest bit of disappointment over losing at home to Cambridge.
No need to shout Tang, :wink: sorry but no you cant express the tiniest bit of disappointment over losing at home to Cambridge.

You didnt hear the Sunderland fans expressing a smigeing of disappointment at losing at home to ,
Milton Keynes Dons H…1-2 ..Lost
Doncaster Rovers H…1-2…Lost
Lincoln City……………..H 1-3…Lost
Mansfield ………………H..0.1…Lost
Well apart from the board sacking the manager we didnt hear a whisper did we,

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Sun Apr 03, 2022 2:40 pm

marko69 wrote:

Exactly Marco as I mentioned in my post WTF change the winning team, I mean WTF has Carroll got to offer absolutely F**K all, and Thompson Likewise is F*****G useless, and as I said now we have absolutely no chance of the playoffs how about giving the following Unders 23's a chance.

Walton
Donacien Wolfie Burgess

Burns Morsey Humphries Aluko

Celina

Simpson Chirewa

Just give this team selection a go as we know our current strikers are Crap, and there's more chance of getting a win with this lineup as no opposition manager knows the new players

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Apr 03, 2022 2:43 pm

When i said i read the entire thread earlier, can i further add; i read it a couple times…….. just to be clear of what i was reading. Thats not to say that what i was reading was SO UNBELIEVABLY UNBELIEVABLE that i had to read things twice……. No……. Just wanted to know that i wasnt interpreting anyone wrong.

With that being said……. Apologies to all who thought i was lambasting Kieron. I wasn’t.
Because losing at home to Cambridge is such a kick in the nuts disgraceful result with 5 games to play and hunting down 6th place, it was merely a question to ask the older, wiser guys, WHY change things v the boat rowers.

My only explanation is Carroll is the Hibs version of 1980’s Joe Tortolano and he’s f**king inmense in training. 👍

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Apr 03, 2022 2:53 pm

ashfordblue wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 2:40 pm
marko69 wrote:

Exactly Marco as I mentioned in my post WTF change the winning team, I mean WTF has Carroll got to offer absolutely F**K all, and Thompson Likewise is F*****G useless, and as I said now we have absolutely no chance of the playoffs how about giving the following Unders 23's a chance.

Walton
Donacien Wolfie Burgess

Celina

Simpson Chirewa

Just give this team selection a go as we know our current strikers are Crap, and there's more chance of getting a win with this lineup as no opposition manager knows the new players
You need to get Dyer to replace McKenna as manager with that team, Ash.

Still in the mindset that the only way forward is through our youth.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Apr 03, 2022 3:01 pm

So don't change a winning team but bring in all those kids ffs, yeah perfect sense.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Sun Apr 03, 2022 3:31 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 3:01 pm
So don't change a winning team but bring in all those kids ffs, yeah perfect sense.
Well, Mikey boy I was selecting 3 good players from our own under 23's.

Plus I've noticed you always have to be F*****G right and condescending and criticizing others' views don't you, listen, buddy, you are but a youth fan on here where I have been a fan for over 68 years 1953/54 season 3rd div south under Scott Duncan and I think I know what I'm observing with our current useless strike force, so you would keep piling in our crap strikers rather give our youth a chance now we don't have a cat in hells chance of the playoffs I think that makes perfect sense, it would give KM a better view of our youth, not just observing from afar the under 23's top of their league results, we must give them a chance to show what they can do, and what better time than the last 5 matches where we have nothing to lose now.

It would be interesting to hear what others think on here of my views

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Apr 03, 2022 3:53 pm

I think as its approaching the “maths” of it all, Ash, there is arguably no harm replacing the players who, as you say, “cannot hit a cows arse with a banjo”…… always a great analogy! :lol:

rossi

Post by rossi » Sun Apr 03, 2022 4:36 pm

ashfordblue wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 3:31 pm
Bluemike wrote:

Plus I've noticed you always have to be F*****G right and condescending and criticizing others' views don't you, listen, buddy, you are but a youth fan on here where I have been a fan for over 68 years 1953/54 season 3rd div south under Scott Duncan and I think I know what I'm observing with our current useless strike force, so you would keep piling in our crap strikers rather give our youth a chance now we don't have a cat in hells chance of the playoffs I think that makes perfect sense, it would give KM a better view of our youth, not just observing from afar the under 23's top of their league results, we must give them a chance to show what they can do, and what better time than the last 5 matches where we have nothing to lose now.

I take it you mean your views on team selection, Ash, rather than your somewhat unfair, unjust, and totally untrue observations of BM.

Well I tend to agree with your views on team selection, if you meant the team you posted earlier:
Walton
Donacien Wolfie Burgess

Celina

Simpson Chirewa

For me, it makes use of the best of our youth, retains Celina and Aluko, and gets rid of our non-performing players - not to mention having 2 up front. That team can't do any worse than the team fielded yesterday, so I say give it a chance

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Sun Apr 03, 2022 5:02 pm

Talking football, who's going up to Shropshire next week, now theirs a club with a proud history since the 1880s.
then Rotherham, 4 to 6 points for the taking i think

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Sun Apr 03, 2022 6:47 pm

rossi wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 4:36 pm
ashfordblue wrote:
Bluemike wrote:

I take it you mean your views on team selection, Ash, rather than your somewhat unfair, unjust, and totally untrue observations of BM.

Well, I tend to agree with your views on team selection if you meant the team you posted earlier:
Walton
Donacien Wolfie Burgess

Celina

Simpson Chirewa

For me, it makes use of the best of our youth, retains Celina and Aluko, and gets rid of our non-performing players - not to mention having 2 upfront. That team can't do any worse than the team fielded yesterday, so I say give it a chance
Sorry Rossi but I originally meant why the Hell KM changes the winning lineup against Plymouth to bring in Carroll and leave the likes of Aluko on the bench and could have played El Mizuni rather than Thompson, and then when I suggest for our next game we change two useless players with Three of our players from our under 23's squad, which makes sense as they have earnt the right to be given a chance, especially Humphreys to show what he can do alongside Sam Morsy, and BM's reply of a sarcastic oh yeh that makes perfect sense got my back up a tad, unless of course, he didn't read it correctly when I stated why Did KM bring in Carroll and as BM said that's us stuffed, KM completely broke up the left side with Carroll's inclusion. I quite honestly can't see the top six teams failing on their run in games. But as most of us agree this is a vast learning curve for KM in management and I just hope he is learning to not change a winning team against the likes of Cambridge Utd etc.
And does everyone agree that we have blown our playoff chances with this result? we have played one game more on 41 one than the other six or seven teams in front of us, unless of course by some miracle all the top 7 teams lose all their remaining run in games and we win all ours :shock: which wont happen :roll: will it ??

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Sun Apr 03, 2022 7:53 pm

ashfordblue wrote:
Bluemike wrote:

not being personal Ash, but ive been watching football for just as long as you and i still dont understand how teams click, so its not how long you've been watching but how much you really learned while watching.,IMO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9sHfcCwTYA

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Apr 03, 2022 7:56 pm

I always have to be right ? Lmfao, I'm about the only one on here that ever admits when they are wrong, I.e. Cook, Hurst, Woolfenden etc. I think pot and kettle spring to mind Ash. Your constant ravings about Simpson, a player who won't even commit to the club is bizarre to say the least, how anyone can think of playing a player that won't commit to the club is p*ss poor in my opinion but of course I could be wrong.

Not quite sure what difference it makes how many years anyone has supported the club, 49 in my case and thankfully dementia hasn't set in here just yet, in any case it's only as of yesterday that our play off chances are all but dead so how the hell do you know what I would do from now ? I wouldn't have played kids up to yesterday, not a chance but I guess you know more than Mckenna what is best for us, he was only at the biggest club in the world after all.

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Sun Apr 03, 2022 8:11 pm

We all have our opinions as that is what make these forums,
But the fact is unless you’re on the inside of the club and know exactly what’s going on it always going to be just opinions, we all haven’t a clue do we.
BUT It’s good to talk, :wink:

I Could be known as the Tractorboys,com Dr.Wolfie Kissinger, the peacemaker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9sHfcCwTYA

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Apr 03, 2022 9:21 pm

What an absolute tune that was aye?! Loved it. Not heard it for years. 👍👍

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Sun Apr 03, 2022 9:58 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 9:21 pm
yeah Paul Heaton made and still does do some classics, fat boy slim used to be in his band, another wild soul lol

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Apr 03, 2022 10:55 pm

goldandblack wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 9:58 pm
marko69 wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 9:21 pm
yeah Paul Heaton made and still does do some classics, fat boy slim used to be in his band, another wild soul lol
You're the funk soul brother on this forum, Wolfie! :lol:

rossi

Post by rossi » Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:36 am

ashfordblue wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 6:47 pm
Sorry Rossi but I originally meant why the Hell KM changes the winning lineup against Plymouth to bring in Carroll and leave the likes of Aluko on the bench and could have played El Mizuni rather than Thompson, and then when I suggest for our next game we change two useless players with Three of our players from our under 23's squad, which makes sense as they have earnt the right to be given a chance, especially Humphreys to show what he can do alongside Sam Morsy, and BM's reply of a sarcastic oh yeh that makes perfect sense got my back up a tad, unless of course, he didn't read it correctly when I stated why Did KM bring in Carroll and as BM said that's us stuffed, KM completely broke up the left side with Carroll's inclusion. I quite honestly can't see the top six teams failing on their run in games. But as most of us agree this is a vast learning curve for KM in management and I just hope he is learning to not change a winning team against the likes of Cambridge Utd etc.
And does everyone agree that we have blown our playoff chances with this result? we have played one game more on 41 one than the other six or seven teams in front of us, unless of course by some miracle all the top 7 teams lose all their remaining run in games and we win all ours :shock: which wont happen :roll: will it ??
I don't think we have blown our chances with this result - I think we blew our chances over the first part of the season while Coq was manager. I remember saying that at the time.
Coq had a rare opportunity as a manager this season - a complete squad of his own choosing and 100% backing from the owners. Unfortunately he was not up to the job, and I still question many of the players he brought in as I don't consider many of them to be anywhere good enough. It still amazes me how so many were saying he should be given more time 10 games into the season - had we have got rid of him then we may well be in a better position now as I think that KM has done a fantastic job with the lopsided squad that Coq assembled.
Hopefully there will be personnel changes in the close season, but it's not going to be easy next season - assuming we finish 9th, there will be 5 teams next season who did better than us this season plus 3 relegated from the Championship, and all of them will have similar aspirations to us. Nothing is ever a given

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Mon Apr 04, 2022 12:51 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 7:56 pm
I always have to be right ? Lmfao, I'm about the only one on here that ever admits when they are wrong, I.e. Cook, Hurst, Woolfenden etc. I think pot and kettle spring to mind Ash. Your constant ravings about Simpson, a player who won't even commit to the club is bizarre to say the least, how anyone can think of playing a player that won't commit to the club is p*ss poor in my opinion but of course I could be wrong.

Not quite sure what difference it makes how many years anyone has supported the club, 49 in my case and thankfully dementia hasn't set in here just yet, in any case it's only as of yesterday that our play off chances are all but dead so how the hell do you know what I would do from now ? I wouldn't have played kids up to yesterday, not a chance but I guess you know more than Mckenna what is best for us, he was only at the biggest club in the world after all.
I'll tell you what Mike there were many fans who scratched their heads on leaving out Bakinson For Carroll and Thompson fails on the left side, he had an adequate chance to change the lineup at HT I wonder like others what the hell he see's in Carroll he's so lightweight and gets knocked off the ball easily, I hope KM understands that Carroll and Thompson can leave the club as they are not right for Div 1 football, and if only we had KM on board from the start of the season things would have been better, so thanks again to Marcus Evans leaving present and Cook in charge Grrrrr. sorry I had a little dig at you BM BUT I was fuming with the result and Carroll's selection, and I'm sure you just might agree that if KM gives Simpson a chance he will extend his 1-year contract option. But I'm with you I wouldn't have brought the youngsters in for the Cambridge game, its the remaining none entity games that are the chances for the under 23 youth.
But when teams come here to block out our weak attacking formation you will need a big fella in there to sort it out with some strong runs, anyway our seasons over so let us get some youth playing for the remaining 5 games, once again my apologies for having a go at you, it's my age silly old git :lol: :lol: so I hope you will forgive me, buddy.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Apr 04, 2022 1:51 pm

Please don't apologise, we all have those days and I apologise for my part in it too.

I did in fact state prior to kick off that with Carroll in we could just blow it and while it obviously wasn't all down to Carroll being in it was certainly a big void left in our Midfield, I would 100% have played Bakinson, its no coincidence since his inclusion alongside Morsy we'd not lost, this is the only area where I disagree with KM, Carroll is cack, same with Thompson, deffo no better than Penney and liable to quite a few errors during games.

I am sure you may get your wish for some of the youngsters over the last month of the season, let's see what they can do.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:29 pm

Well it's onto the next game at Shrewsbury hopefully a full squad without Thompson or Carroll, then it's the Millers away, then a tasty Wigan at home so let's get behind the lads in the remaining fixtures and hopefully see a few goals scored for us :)