League 1 - Ipswich Town vs Cambridge United Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Staying in the hunt?

Ipswich Win
94%
Cambridge Win
6%
Draw
No votes

Total votes: 17

Steve and Jo

Re: League 1 - Ipswich Town vs Cambridge United Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Steve and Jo » Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:40 pm

Reading in between the lines it seems Mike Ashton has issues with Simpson's agent. He says he will not let this club of ours bow to agents when Simpson's name came up.

I totally agree on Carroll and Thompson though in fairness our defensive record is not bad at all. Saying that, those two players never have impressed me at all, especially Carroll and Saturday's game was a total nightmare for Thompson.

I do see flaws in Bakinson though he has improved hell of a lot and in my opinion better all around player than Carroll but still prefer Lee Evans when fit. Totally agree with rossi on Cook and not letting him go earlier though with 19 new players in the owners must of felt he needed longer. In hindsight, wonderful thing hindsight is he should of left sooner. It was not Saturday's result cost us playoffs. Indeed it is not the results under Kieran that's cost us. Again as been mentioned its prior KM coming in. We have a great backbone up unto we come the forward line, we also have great width. Saturday was one to quickly forget other than learn from. All in all really happy in direction Ipswich are going in. Need new players in certain areas but in the main we have a team that can take us forwards. Roll on 2022/23 season

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:41 pm

Cambridge @ home to Wycombe tonight? Smashed. Unreal.

Nice of Morecambe to beat Oxford though........, every little helps.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Apr 05, 2022 11:56 pm

Just a typical set of results for league one tbh , which is why it’s so hard to get out of .

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Apr 06, 2022 5:40 am

Yep weird and we smashed Wycombe twice.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:33 am

A few weeks ago Rotherham looked a absolute shoo-in for automatics now it not looking so certain. As has already been said, a strange league where anything can happen.

rossi

Post by rossi » Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:47 am

Shed on tour wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:33 am
A few weeks ago Rotherham looked a absolute shoo-in for automatics now it not looking so certain. As has already been said, a strange league where anything can happen.
Yes, and that's a perfect illustration of why this division is so hard to get out of - there are a number of teams that are really close in terms of quality and any team can win on it's day.

My personal theory is that the salary cap has evened things out so much now that we are never again likely to see one team run away with things. Why? Well, given that salaries are more or less even at most clubs, the only thing left to attract a decent player at this level is to be able to virtually guarantee him playing time, because that's what players (especially good ones) want to do, play every game. We have used rotation for far too long now at this club, and even KM is still doing it though it's arguable that he does it because the squad is too big. So next season I'm hoping for a much smaller squad with more quality and more week to week consistency, and a much more settled side. I honestly think that is the only way we can get out of this league

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:13 am

rossi wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:47 am
Shed on tour wrote:
Yes, and that's a perfect illustration of why this division is so hard to get out of - there are a number of teams that are really close in terms of quality and any team can win on it's day.

My personal theory is that the salary cap has evened things out so much now that we are never again likely to see one team run away with things. Why? Well, given that salaries are more or less even at most clubs, the only thing left to attract a decent player at this level is to be able to virtually guarantee him playing time, because that's what players (especially good ones) want to do, play every game. We have used rotation for far too long now at this club, and even KM is still doing it though it's arguable that he does it because the squad is too big. So next season I'm hoping for a much smaller squad with more quality and more week to week consistency, and a much more settled side. I honestly think that is the only way we can get out of this league
Totally agree with your comment about having a settled side next season. I’ve already seen people posting (not on here) about HMS p*ss the league next year. They were making the same comments before the start of this season. It certainly will not be easy but I am hoping that we will at least make a better job of being in contention than we have the past 3 seasons.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:24 am

Shed on tour wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:13 am
rossi wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:47 am
Shed on tour wrote:

Totally agree with your comment about having a settled side next season. I’ve already seen people posting (not on here) about HMS p*ss the league next year. They were making the same comments before the start of this season. It certainly will not be easy but I am hoping that we will at least make a better job of being in contention than we have the past 3 seasons.
Not sure who we'll compete with next year, but it should be another tough season. Derby should be down there with us, but not sure what financial state they'd be in. But without their points deduction, they'd be comfortably safe. Posh, too.... who know this division inside out. Hoping that Rotherham go up as I don't want them down here next season.

If we were to take our current form over 46 games then we'd be top six contenders, not top two. We have to keep on improving. Much depends on the business in the summer. McKenna must have a good idea on what he needs by now. Some good early business and a full pre-season and - fingers crossed - we'll be up there. Just want to see some robust, tough as nails players come in. We can't just outplay teams with possession football to win games.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Apr 06, 2022 12:30 pm

And don’t forget Deportivo La Forest Green Rovers. Tough times ahead.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Wed Apr 06, 2022 12:44 pm

marko69 wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 12:30 pm
marko if this season is anything to go by then we may struggle against Forest Green as we have failed to beat any of the 3 teams that came up from League 2 last season (Cheltenham, Cambridge, Bolton).

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Wed Apr 06, 2022 12:47 pm

Shed on tour wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 12:44 pm
marko69 wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 12:30 pm
marko if this season is anything to go by then we may struggle against Forest Green as we have failed to beat any of the 3 teams that came up from League 2 last season (Cheltenham, Cambridge, Bolton).
PS: Add Morecambe to the list as well! :lol:

MasseyFerguson

Post by MasseyFerguson » Wed Apr 06, 2022 4:32 pm

Shed on tour wrote:
They will probably still do it but, as you say, strange league. I see young Parrott has come on leaps and bounds this season with MK Dons. I work with a Dons supporter who says their fans are raving about him. Between goals, assists and overall play he is a big reason for their climb to the brink of automatic promotion. Pity he didn't show much when he was with us.