League 1 - Shrewsbury Town vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Building for next season?

Shrewsbury Win
No votes
Ipswich Win
53%
Draw
47%

Total votes: 15

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: League 1 - Shrewsbury Town vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Bluemike » Sat Apr 09, 2022 4:44 pm

What the hell was Burgess doing

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Apr 09, 2022 4:47 pm

Suffolk radio … “ Can we hold on”…. Doesn’t that say EVERYTHING about bloody Town … it’s criminal the way we play games out . Trying to be so bloody cocky in possession and not actually going for a second goal . Every f**king game !!!

Edit : and get that f**king head case Norwood off and Bonne on
Last edited by hallamblue on Sat Apr 09, 2022 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Apr 09, 2022 4:47 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Apr 09, 2022 4:44 pm
That was bloody shocking, so much for the positive changes we were about to make, what was he thinking.

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Sat Apr 09, 2022 4:47 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Don't worry Mike, Thompson is on what could go wrong 🤔
Last edited by Kerry Blue on Sat Apr 09, 2022 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Apr 09, 2022 4:48 pm

Kerry Blue wrote:
Sat Apr 09, 2022 4:47 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Don't worry Mike Thompson is on what could go wrong 🤔
Who’s Mike Thompson

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Apr 09, 2022 4:49 pm

We’ve been so solid at the back too.

Even worse he’ll miss the Rotherham game .... that was clever.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Apr 09, 2022 4:53 pm

ABSOLUTELY PATHETIC !!!!!!!!!!

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Apr 09, 2022 4:54 pm

We are frankly , UNPROFESSIONAL in our approach every game it’s the same .

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Apr 09, 2022 4:55 pm

Couldn't stop that, just a worldy strike

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Sat Apr 09, 2022 4:55 pm

Utter rubbish.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Apr 09, 2022 4:58 pm

Maybe but some of the knee jerk response is all a bit OTT for me.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Apr 09, 2022 4:58 pm

Burgess has cost us this win, so unnecessary.

Our back three were brilliant until the sending off.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Apr 09, 2022 5:05 pm

Not so bloody cocky on the ball now are we . Utter tossas of a performance - YET AGAIN. Passing it around, taking the p*ss of the opposition frankly , and yet again unable to get the second goal to put the game to bed . Why? Because we’re not even looking for it !!! How many shots on goal did we even LOOK for in that 2nd half? I’m f**king fuming with this same old sh*t every bloody game ….

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Apr 09, 2022 5:14 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Sat Apr 09, 2022 4:58 pm

Why? The lad struck it beautifully. Nothing to do with Burgess. Obvious second yellow.... but getting a bit bored of dominating games and coming away with less than 3 points. Its simple, we should have put rhe game out of reach.

From our point of view, why are we tryingto score the perfect goal every time. Do we need 15 passes to walk the ball in when the opposition can hit one or score from a set-piece.

If we want to get promoted..... can we learn a few lessons from this division.

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Sat Apr 09, 2022 5:27 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Isn't it just? totally going overboard.

Totally understand we should of scored more. That is our Achilles heel, it really is. Yes Burgess was totally reckless and hopefully learn but give some credit to there scorer. Wonder how many goals he'll score like that, not many.
The points we have dropped though is alarming. Being the better team, playing better that the opposition means very little if not scoring and finishing games off. Been mentioned before for other past games, when did we score a scruffy goal? When was last time scored from a corner? Not concerned with our defence or way we play in general. What does concern me big time is lack of goals.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Sat Apr 09, 2022 5:30 pm

Nobel Yeats wins the National 50-1

Also, :x that's defo our season over now as for Burgess the Twonk, still, we have Matt Penny in reserve for the LB slot, or Thompson :shock: roll on the end of the season now to rebuild for 22/23
Last edited by ashfordblue on Sat Apr 09, 2022 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Apr 09, 2022 5:38 pm

Steve and Jo wrote:
Sat Apr 09, 2022 5:27 pm
Bluemike wrote:

Totally understand we should of scored more. That is our Achilles heel, it really is. Yes Burgess was totally reckless and hopefully learn but give some credit to there scorer. Wonder how many goals he'll score like that, not many.
The points we have dropped though is alarming. Being the better team, playing better that the opposition means very little if not scoring and finishing games off. Been mentioned before for other past games, when did we score a scruffy goal? When was last time scored from a corner? Not concerned with our defence or way we play in general. What does concern me big time is lack of goals.
My point is simple . We are not LOOKING to get shots off and run the game . All we do is pass it around like we’re bloody Barcelona. It’s frankly disrespectful to opponents at this level . We do this every game so it’s neither knee jerk nor OTT .

Possession ( in either half of the pitch ) doesn’t win games , GOALS do !

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Apr 09, 2022 5:48 pm

Tangfastic wrote:
Sat Apr 09, 2022 5:14 pm
Charnwood wrote:

Why? The lad struck it beautifully. Nothing to do with Burgess. Obvious second yellow.... but getting a bit bored of dominating games and coming away with less than 3 points. Its simple, we should have put rhe game out of reach.

From our point of view, why are we tryingto score the perfect goal every time. Do we need 15 passes to walk the ball in when the opposition can hit one or score from a set-piece.

It has everything to do with Burgess, had he not got himself sent off Thompson wouldn’t have been defending the high ball which he could only get the weakest of headers on straight into the path of Shaun Whalley the goal scorer. Had Burgess still been on the pitch he would have cleared his lines just as he and Woolfie had done all afternoon. I’ve not seen the highlights yet but I’m sure they will reflect my comments.
I’m not sure why Penny didn’t take Burgess’s place and leave Thompson wide as he was far too small to play the role Burgess had played all afternoon.
This game was everything but won until the sending off. ☹️

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Sat Apr 09, 2022 5:49 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sat Apr 09, 2022 5:38 pm
Steve and Jo wrote:
Sat Apr 09, 2022 5:27 pm
Bluemike wrote:

My point is simple . We are not LOOKING to get shots off and run the game . All we do is pass it around like we’re bloody Barcelona. It’s frankly disrespectful to opponents at this level . We do this every game so it’s neither knee jerk nor OTT .

Bloody right Liz still say we should give Simson a runout, all very fine KM saying he wants to have a strong finish, well KM a Fooking draw against Shrewsbury isn't finishing strongly, so swallow your bloody pride KM and play Simpson

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Sat Apr 09, 2022 5:59 pm

Glad you mentioned that, i'm sure we all know that. Kieran knows this. He said it also.

This season is all but over, players will be playing to show the manager what they have for remaining games. Totally share your frustration Hallam, believe we all do. It's frustrating as hell because apart from goal scoring we are no doubt as good as any team in this league. Lots to improve on for next next season but the biggest part of the backbone of the team is there.

Whether Jackson stays or goes for me isn't the main issue. Sure sign him up again but need more of a striker who sniffs out goals also but also Get the scruffier parts of the game sorted. Get the set plays and the bobbling in off the backsides goals also, and that includes Midfielders and the Defenders contributing

Still excited for next season

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Sat Apr 09, 2022 6:05 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Sat Apr 09, 2022 5:48 pm
Tangfastic wrote:
Charnwood wrote:

It has everything to do with Burgess, had he not got himself sent off Thompson wouldn’t have been defending the high ball which he could only get the weakest of headers on straight into the path of Shaun Whalley the goal scorer. Had Burgess still been on the pitch he would have cleared his lines just as he and Woolfie had done all afternoon. I’ve not seen the highlights yet but I’m sure they will reflect my comments.
I’m not sure why Penny didn’t take Burgess’s place and leave Thompson wide as he was far too small to play the role Burgess had played all afternoon.
Yes of course but the lad still stroked the ball well. Understand what you say but fact is the game should of been dead and buried before then. Burgess made a total c*ck up. He'll know this, hopefully he'll learn but we got to finish games off also. Then rash play like Burgess insistent isn't as much of an issue though obviously not clever from him

MasseyFerguson

Post by MasseyFerguson » Sat Apr 09, 2022 6:50 pm

I share the frustration at our seeming inability to put these games to bed. The damage to our season was done earlier in the year. We are playing good football and dominating matches but, as others have noted, we don't seem to score scruffy goals. Pretty football is lovely but stick the ball in the net from time to time for goodness sake.

It is clear that KMcK knows this. He has said it often enough. If the current bunch cannot deliver, I'm sure he will get players in who can. We will need to be more of a goal threat next season and I'm confident KMcK will sort that out.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Apr 09, 2022 7:11 pm

Steve and Jo wrote:
Sat Apr 09, 2022 6:05 pm
Charnwood wrote:
Sat Apr 09, 2022 5:48 pm
Tangfastic wrote:

Yes of course but the lad still stroked the ball well. Understand what you say but fact is the game should of been dead and buried before then. Burgess made a total c*ck up. He'll know this, hopefully he'll learn but we got to finish games off also. Then rash play like Burgess insistent isn't as much of an issue though obviously not clever from him

He certainly did that very well no question of that whatsoever. Just a shame they only got into the game after we handed them the initiative, but hey, at least we have next season to look forward to like not before for a long time.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sat Apr 09, 2022 8:05 pm

MasseyFerguson wrote:
Sat Apr 09, 2022 6:50 pm
I share the frustration at our seeming inability to put these games to bed. The damage to our season was done earlier in the year. We are playing good football and dominating matches but, as others have noted, we don't seem to score scruffy goals. Pretty football is lovely but stick the ball in the net from time to time for goodness sake.

It is clear that KMcK knows this. He has said it often enough. If the current bunch cannot deliver, I'm sure he will get players in who can. We will need to be more of a goal threat next season and I'm confident KMcK will sort that out.
Spot on!

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Sat Apr 09, 2022 8:35 pm

Well that was a shame. In total control but did not kill the game off. It has happened far to often unfortunately hence why we are not in the top 6. KMC is the future and he will get us promoted maybe not with the current squad, I can think of 6 players that can go and won't be missed. So hopefully the recruitment behind the scenes will make us more clinical and move us to the next level.

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Sat Apr 09, 2022 9:10 pm

Harper, Edwards, Carroll, Norwood, Piggott and Holy. Also Thompson as a none required loan. I think we will sign Bonne , Bakinson and Celina.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Apr 09, 2022 10:11 pm

I’d ditch Norwood . He’s a pub player who prefers a fight than sticking the ball in the net it seems. He’s 31/32 yrs old and likely to be entering his final season (s) …. There’s just too much baggage with him now ( for me , anyway )

I’d only keep Jackson of the four strikers .

Of the other two loanees , only Bakinson has made an impression ( again a personal view). I’d be very disappointed if we didn’t sign him , and if we did sign Thompson who don’t think I’d any better then what we already have . However that’s not to say the left side is good enough coz it isn’t .

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat Apr 09, 2022 11:50 pm

Seen highlights, caught reaction on here, TWTD and the opposition's Blue and Amber fans page. An array of views to say the least. Some of the fans they got over there took a certain pleasure in denying us. Just move on for fucks sake.

Their goal near the end, Van Basten Whalley or whatever the kid's name be, it were class. Walton doesn't get beat often but was helpless to keep a shot like that out he could hardly have been expecting.

The sending off swung it their way it's safe to say. We had our chances in the first period and probably should have been further ahead by just the one goal but kind of self destructed in the last quarter. Still, it's been what, 14 League Games and only one defeat, whether you're in favor of McKenna or not it's been a near incredible run.

Walton and the defense seem Championship level, the strikers are sadly of League Two caliber. Kind of suggests why we're going to be stuck in this same damn division for another year.

Always try to remain optimistic about any last hopes of a promotion but got to realize now it's not going to be. We've procured leaps and bounds since getting rid of McCarthy, Hurst, Lambert, not to mention a certain owner, but for all the changes certain deficiencies remain.

Certain "attacking" options have to leave in the summer, there's no ambiguity in the issue.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun Apr 10, 2022 12:30 am

If we continue to play with one striker, it’s obvious we’ll need a somewhat prolific goal scorer or two. We also need more goals from midfield. The problem is can we attract those sort of players to league one football?

Have to say I’ll be bitterly disappointed if we don’t strengthen in those areas. In Ashton and KM I trust, but surely next season promotion is a must!

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sun Apr 10, 2022 5:24 am

Just trying to work out if KVY is injured? I guess he is but certainly think he could give us that forward thrust down the left side!