League 1 - Rotherham United vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

A real tricky one to call?

Millers Win
23%
Town Win
23%
Draw
54%

Total votes: 13

Andym

Re: League 1 - Rotherham United vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Andym » Sat Apr 16, 2022 11:48 am

Baptism of fire for Baggott. It would need great to see him do well.
Starting to get excited now. Lightweight we may be but there are a lot of decent footballers in the team. I hope they can win it over bully-boy giants.

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Sat Apr 16, 2022 12:50 pm

Get Norwood off he offers nothing at all

Andym

Post by Andym » Sat Apr 16, 2022 1:03 pm

We mustn’t give away free kicks in our half

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Apr 16, 2022 1:25 pm

Same old shythouse physical tactics by Rotherham I see - bunch o tosses

And Norwoods a bloody donkey

Andym

Post by Andym » Sat Apr 16, 2022 1:51 pm

Being outplayed and outfought this half

Andym

Post by Andym » Sat Apr 16, 2022 1:54 pm

Being outplayed and outfought this half

bluejacko

Post by bluejacko » Sat Apr 16, 2022 2:00 pm

This ref has definitely lost the plot here!

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Apr 16, 2022 2:11 pm

"Also taking up one of the seat is Steve Evans".

Make that a least 3 seats.

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Sat Apr 16, 2022 2:22 pm

Balls

Andym

Post by Andym » Sat Apr 16, 2022 2:28 pm

Morsy, Bakinson and Celina were below par in my opinion. We had a decent first half but only really created the one chance.
Not sure what Rotherham did differently second half to come at us but we failed to make any changes to stop it.

MasseyFerguson

Post by MasseyFerguson » Sat Apr 16, 2022 2:31 pm

I think we just look tired in the second half. It's been as poor a performance as we've given under this management.

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Sat Apr 16, 2022 2:36 pm

Didn't turn up in 2nd half. Needs to try a different striker on Tuesday because we won't score if he keeps playing those 3. Baggott did well Norwood and Thompson awful the rest under par except Walton.

rossi

Post by rossi » Sat Apr 16, 2022 2:41 pm

Decent first half, second half we looked toothless spineless and clueless, and fully got what we deserved.

So, yet another season in this awful league to look forward to.

Much transfer work needed in the break, I think, because the shower of sh*te that played in the second half will not get us anywhere.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Apr 16, 2022 2:45 pm

Same old sh*t .

THREE goals spurned by us - unforgivable frankly …

Andym

Post by Andym » Sat Apr 16, 2022 3:27 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sat Apr 16, 2022 2:45 pm
Same old sh*t .

THREE goals spurned by us - unforgivable frankly …
I only saw one glaring miss to be honest.

Andym

Post by Andym » Sat Apr 16, 2022 3:52 pm

I thought Baggott had a very good game, aerially and on the ground. Got a bit lost positionally early on but a good performance.

MasseyFerguson

Post by MasseyFerguson » Sat Apr 16, 2022 3:59 pm

Andym wrote:
Sat Apr 16, 2022 3:52 pm
I thought Baggott had a very good game, aerially and on the ground. Got a bit lost positionally early on but a good performance.
Agreed. Very promising performance.

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Sat Apr 16, 2022 4:14 pm

For me, Celina, Thompson, Bonne, Norwood and Piggott all need to go. We can't afford Celina's 1 good game in 6 as the rest of the time he is a passenger. A luxury we cannot afford.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Apr 16, 2022 4:33 pm

I take a lot of comfort from McKenna post match interview… a small part of his interview….

“Over the last week or two we've known it was probably going to be beyond us for the play-offs this year," said McKenna. "It was always going to be a very tall ask from the start of the season we had and the runs that other teams have had. I don't think today changes that. I think it's points we dropped earlier in the season that dictates that.

"For us it's about building now. I think it's really clear for me to see, and probably for everyone else to see, the areas of the game that we're very good at and also the things that we need to improve in the summer, both with recruitment and coaching. We look forward to that process now. We go into the summer with a real clarity about what we need to do to improve the team and the squad.”

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Sat Apr 16, 2022 5:11 pm

Blue Wilf wrote:
Sat Apr 16, 2022 4:14 pm
For me, Celina, Thompson, Bonne, Norwood and Piggott all need to go. We can't afford Celina's 1 good game in 6 as the rest of the time he is a passenger. A luxury we cannot afford.
Managed to watch game back on sky today and tend to agree, really lacked up front and need to match the physical challenge that Rotherham posed in second half. Recruitment will be key. All the teams coming down will be a force in league one next season including Derby if they get the ownership stuff sorted which they will.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Sat Apr 16, 2022 5:48 pm

mendipblue wrote:
Sat Apr 16, 2022 2:36 pm
Didn't turn up in 2nd half. Needs to try a different striker on Tuesday because we won't score if he keeps playing those 3. Baggott did well Norwood and Thompson awful the rest under par except Walton.
FFS KM Please try bloody Simpson up top do not ever play Norwood, Jackson, Piggott, & Bonne, Carroll, Thompson, ever again, just get rid of them at the end of the season even if they still have one-year contracts get shod, as has been proved their all are not capable or effective in league one, also KM has got to get players hardened up because League one is a roughhouse type of football, its not suitable for the pretty passing type of play against most of the teams in League 0ne, but for the last remaining games play some of the under 23's to give them a runout to see how they perform.

And let's get rid of this only turning up for one half of a game or even not turning up at all, it's disrespectful to the manager and the fans I would not pay them for the games that this happens, :x :x absolute Tossers.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Sat Apr 16, 2022 6:00 pm

Blue Wilf wrote:
Sat Apr 16, 2022 4:14 pm
Sorry B W but Celina will stay as he's part of the future for Ipswich, when the game is flowing Celina excels but every player in the team has to be on their game when we have absolute Tossers as strikers that couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo, you have to say enough is enough and get rid of them all and bring in young hungry strikers who know where the F*****G back of the net is, oh for a pairing like Ted Phillips and Ray Crawford, Mariner and Brazil, Wark, there out there so go find them.

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Sat Apr 16, 2022 7:05 pm

Maybe he will, maybe he won't. If he does what he can do, I would be happy but through this whole season, he has been lightweight and a 1 good game in 6 player. Given the cost as well, I just think we may look elsewhere. Still, its not our decision and I trust McKenna will do what he sees fit and that will be OK for me 👍

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Sat Apr 16, 2022 8:03 pm

Blue Wilf wrote:
Sat Apr 16, 2022 7:05 pm
Maybe he will, maybe he won't. If he does what he can do, I would be happy but through this whole season, he has been lightweight and a 1 good game in 6 player. Given the cost as well, I just think we may look elsewhere. Still, its not our decision and I trust McKenna will do what he sees fit and that will be OK for me 👍
I agree. Celina is luxury at this level. Inconsistent also.l thought Ipswich looked a bit too nice today and lightweight. Nice passing team but need a lot more that to get out league one. Not nearly enough up front. Big test coming up McKenna now. Good communicator, interviews well and done decent job so far but the next steps are the crucial one's

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Apr 17, 2022 12:06 am

Very good first half, crap second, can't blame KM for Norwood f**king up in the 8th minute, totally crap. Agree about Celina, always has been a bloody liability, woeful 5 games out of 6 and as for Thompson, wtf.

rossi

Post by rossi » Sun Apr 17, 2022 7:41 am

Bluemike wrote:
Sun Apr 17, 2022 12:06 am
Very good first half, crap second, can't blame KM for Norwood f**king up in the 8th minute, totally crap. Agree about Celina, always has been a bloody liability, woeful 5 games out of 6 and as for Thompson, wtf.
For me the most mystifying thing in KMs insistence on - whenever he starts with Aluko and leaves Chaplin on the bench - making that substitution after 60 mins. Chaplin offered absolutely nothing in the time he was on, actually he never does.

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Sun Apr 17, 2022 8:39 am

ashfordblue wrote:
Sat Apr 16, 2022 5:48 pm
mendipblue wrote:
Sat Apr 16, 2022 2:36 pm
FFS KM Please try bloody Simpson up top do not ever play Norwood, Jackson, Piggott, & Bonne, Carroll, Thompson, ever again, just get rid of them at the end of the season even if they still have one-year contracts get shod, as has been proved their all are not capable or effective in league one, also KM has got to get players hardened up because League one is a roughhouse type of football, its not suitable for the pretty passing type of play against most of the teams in League 0ne, but for the last remaining games play some of the under 23's to give them a runout to see how they perform.

And let's get rid of this only turning up for one half of a game or even not turning up at all, it's disrespectful to the manager and the fans I would not pay them for the games that this happens, :x :x absolute Tossers.
AB agree with all that. Baggott proved a U23 can cope. So in the last 3 games lets see Simpson and Humphries play, can't do any worse. Do not want to see the following kick a ball again this season. Norwood, Carroll, Thompson and Piggott. If we are going to sign Bakinson and Celina then put them in the squad if not then don't. Norwood's miss yesterday effectively cost us the game. If they had gone behind they would of panicked but that miss let them grow into the game. As for Chaplin he is so frustrating.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Apr 17, 2022 8:42 am

Yeah, I don't normally have an issue with Chaplin, for me a very gifted footballer but the last couple of months he's offered very little.

I thought Baggott was excellent yesterday, coming in for his debut against a big physical team and Michael Smith in particular is a handful for anyone, he has a really good future ahead of him and will be a big asset to the team.

I also thought Woolfenden played very well for the most part and looks really assured with ball at feet. The midfield was poor for me with Morsy and Bakinson not on their game, Celina a total joke and Aluko hit and miss.

Where I do seem to disagree with everyone else is that I thought for much of the game it was us roughing them up and looking very physical, I was actually pleased to see it but I definitely don't agree that we were lightweight and outmuscled on the day, we more than held our own. How I would love Ollie Rathbone in our Midfield, an excellent player.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Sun Apr 17, 2022 10:06 am

Bluemike wrote:
McKenna brought Thompson in on loan which is kinda my point about recruitment.
Thought Bakinson did ok yesterday but is he worth keeping ?
I think McKenna has done well overall since arriving but there is still a lot of work to do to get Town to be a side that actually gets out of League One.
Summer is going to be really vital and need to hit the ground running next season as it won't be easy.
Last edited by valleyroad on Sun Apr 17, 2022 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Sun Apr 17, 2022 10:06 am

valleyroad wrote:
Sun Apr 17, 2022 10:06 am
Bluemike wrote:
McKenna brought Thompson in on loan which is kinda my point about recruitment.
Thought Bakinson did ok yesterday but is he worth keeping ?
I think McKenna has done well overall since arriving but there is still a lot of work to do to get Town to be a side that actually gets out of League One.
Summer is going to be really vital and need to hit the ground running next season as it won't be easy.