League 1 - Ipswich Town vs Wigan Athletic Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

How will we fare against the League leaders?

Town Win
15%
Wigan Win
46%
Draw
38%

Total votes: 13

hallamblue

Re: League 1 - Ipswich Town vs Wigan Athletic Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by hallamblue » Tue Apr 19, 2022 9:42 pm

mendipblue wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 9:39 pm
Should not be in the squad. I said he was crap after his first game for us. f*ck off back to Brentford. Keane you smug tw*t you can f*ck off as well.
The one I really don’t want to score for them is Edwards . Bloody hate him

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Apr 19, 2022 9:43 pm

COME ON TOOOOOOOWN !!!!!

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Apr 19, 2022 9:44 pm

That’s it . Well played Town 👍👍

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Tue Apr 19, 2022 10:05 pm

Enjoyed that game in the main. We really do look good. For next season though we got to be more ruthless in front of goal

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Apr 19, 2022 10:09 pm

Exactly . I dare not say it though because I’ll he accused of being negative or wrong .

I hope people are listening to the bloke summarising in Suffolk radio right now , because he’s saying the same as me … he rings in every post match and is spot on !
Last edited by hallamblue on Tue Apr 19, 2022 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Apr 19, 2022 10:10 pm

It looks like it could end with a very disappointing mid table finish. I really thought we’d end the season better placed and definitely not as much as 10 points or more off the play offs. As best I recall we were similarly placed when Paul Cook was sacked. ☹️

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Tue Apr 19, 2022 10:30 pm

For me, we were the better team against the league leaders for 80% of the game. The difference is that we missed numerous chances or played around on the edge of the area without end product. They had 3 or 4 chances and scored with a striker who is full of confidence. We are well placed for next season if we can be a bit more direct and clinical. You need consistency in this league more than anything and we are far too erratic at the moment. We have no attacker in the center of the box at any time! We always wanted a midfield that contributed goals but sadly we have gained that but lost any strikers at the same time! 🙄

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Apr 19, 2022 10:32 pm

Spot on Wilf

MasseyFerguson

Post by MasseyFerguson » Tue Apr 19, 2022 10:33 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 10:10 pm
It looks like it could end with a very disappointing mid table finish. I really thought we’d end the season better placed and definitely not as much as 10 points or more off the play offs. As best I recall we were similarly placed when Paul Cook was sacked. ☹️
You and I had a debate a number of weeks ago about our chances of making the playoffs. I was certain we wouldn't but I confess to being really disappointed about how far short we have fallen. A lot of work to be done before the new season starts.

Andym

Post by Andym » Tue Apr 19, 2022 11:02 pm

Really enjoyed the football we played. Much the better side. Two sucker goals conceded and a sh*t ref. We edged the guest half and dominated the second. Having a beer to ease my throat after sitting at the reef for much of the game. But our football a was a joy to watch at times.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Tue Apr 19, 2022 11:50 pm

Andym wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 11:02 pm
Really enjoyed the football we played. Much the better side. Two sucker goals conceded and a sh*t ref. We edged the guest half and dominated the second. Having a beer to ease my throat after sitting at the reef for much of the game. But our football a was a joy to watch at times.
Indeed, I really enjoyed the game and thought it was generally a great advert for League 1 football.
I don't get to see so many games, but thought that was Chaplin's best game, he was a terrier! Burgess totally justified his instant recall with a man mountain of a performance. Bakinson looked like he was trying his hardest to win a contract, throwing himself into challenges and having a decent game with sadly his odd wayward pass! Dominic Thompson may not be the answer (and while I didn't see the fact that he was "to blame" for their equaliser) it is easy to overlook his great header across the box which brought our second goal!

All in all a lot of promise for next season with a couple of obvious areas to strengthen.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed Apr 20, 2022 12:50 am

Chaplin is a great player, we need to keep him. Once again I say, replace the strikers and we’ll be ok next season.

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Wed Apr 20, 2022 7:29 am

AzzurroMark wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 11:50 pm
Andym wrote:
Indeed, I really enjoyed the game and thought it was generally a great advert for League 1 football.
I don't get to see so many games, but thought that was Chaplin's best game, he was a terrier! Burgess totally justified his instant recall with a man mountain of a performance. Bakinson looked like he was trying his hardest to win a contract, throwing himself into challenges and having a decent game with sadly his odd wayward pass! Dominic Thompson may not be the answer (and while I didn't see the fact that he was "to blame" for their equaliser) it is easy to overlook his great header across the box which brought our second goal!

All in all a lot of promise for next season with a couple of obvious areas to strengthen.
Regarding the equaliser and Thompson , if you get chance to look at the highlights you will see he makes no attempt at all to stop the cross that lead to the equaliser. Why?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:11 am

And just prior to Thompsons gaff, look at the p*ss poor effort of Norwood.

Andym

Post by Andym » Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:28 am

I think it’s easy to focus on the mistakes. Donacien would have gifted them a goal if it hasn’t been for the keeper. Thompson should have done better, but I think it’s a sign of progress that we are picking up on it. For years I complained that we didn’t close down and block crosses; we are much better at that now.
It was an error, but had they not scored from it we wouldn’t be talking about it - just as no one had mentioned Donacien’s error. I honestly thought, that aside, Thompson played well. It was one of our most balanced (left/right) performances and he was a big part of that.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:54 am

He did play well, the point about Norwood was a bit of a defence for Thompson, he's getting stick while Norwood got off scot free. As you say, had we won nothing gets mentioned

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:57 am

All in all, following a night to reflect on the match, we had a decent game, just disappointing to turn it around for them to snatch a late equalizer. But, there were a few mistakes which Andy M has pointed out, which could of really cost us.

We came back from a goal down to be winning, against the leaders in the league, that has to be a good sign. A few alterations in the summer and we will be a real force to contend with. I am looking forward to seeing what the manager does during the break and how these issues are addressed, after all, there will be a fair few 'big' teams to deal with next season and it will be really competitive.

COYB!

rossi

Post by rossi » Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:30 am

Andym wrote:
We do play good football - in a way - Andy, but that alone will not get us promoted.

People say that it's our strikers who are to blame, and I agree that none of them could hit a barn door at the moment. But I think that is becuase they get so few chances in a game that when one does come they tense up and snatch at the ball.

If anything sums up tippy-tappy football for me it's the way we play at the moment - sure it might be better to watch than under previous managers, but it's totally pointless because we do not do anything with all that possession. In short, we go nowhere with it, and usually end up giving the ball away. Why? Because the final ball is terrible.

I lost count last night of the poor final ball delivery. How many times do we deliver a final ball at knee height straight at the first defender. Celina did it, Penney did it, Chaplin did it, Donacien did it, but for me the worst culprit was Burns. It's no big secret why we can't score from set pieces and corners - we are nowhere near good enough at delivering the ball.

Andym

Post by Andym » Wed Apr 20, 2022 11:18 am

rossi wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:30 am
Andym wrote:
We do play good football - in a way - Andy, but that alone will not get us promoted.

People say that it's our strikers who are to blame, and I agree that none of them could hit a barn door at the moment. But I think that is becuase they get so few chances in a game that when one does come they tense up and snatch at the ball.

If anything sums up tippy-tappy football for me it's the way we play at the moment - sure it might be better to watch than under previous managers, but it's totally pointless because we do not do anything with all that possession. In short, we go nowhere with it, and usually end up giving the ball away. Why? Because the final ball is terrible.

I lost count last night of the poor final ball delivery. How many times do we deliver a final ball at knee height straight at the first defender. Celina did it, Penney did it, Chaplin did it, Donacien did it, but for me the worst culprit was Burns. It's no big secret why we can't score from set pieces and corners - we are nowhere near good enough at delivering the ball.
I agree with all of that. If our strikers only convert 1 on 5 chances, they'll only score once every 5 matches! They get very few opportunities.
Last night did see us having a few more shots from distance. And for much of the second half we really went at them. Not bully-boy football, not long ball football, but clever, neat, attractive football that meant for the first 15 minutes of the second half they never got out of their half.

I appreciate my views are different from most on here. Of course I want promotion, and to win matches. But it's an afternoon's / evening's entertainment too. And I'd be much happier spending 5 seasons in league 1 playing like we did last night (and in several games recently) than I would spending 5 years in the championship playing Mick McCarthy football.

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Wed Apr 20, 2022 12:18 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:11 am
And just prior to Thompsons gaff, look at the p*ss poor effort of Norwood.
Agreed, another I would not let kick another ball for Town

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Apr 20, 2022 2:08 pm

I guess I see a different Burns to everyone else, yes he has bad delivery at times like everyone else but his ball into the box for Thompson to head back to Morsy to score was exquisite

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Wed Apr 20, 2022 4:14 pm

On paper it's a respectable score, guess a number would have taken it before the start. Only five minutes away from beating one of the best teams this league can offer and what's more putting three into attack, something you could never have envisaged under some previous coaches in recent time.

Guess McKenna just said to the players, go out there and enjoy it (we got little to feasibly aim for now) and the team maybe relaxed and very nearly got three points from it. One last time can't quite stomach the truth of another year in the Third League but the players brought in haven't proved good enough and Cook caused significant damage before parting ways.

It's all about "building for next season" but how many times now has that been mentioned year after year. We're only a few adjustments away from being real promotion candidates however it'll require (in the months ahead) careful thought and implementation in order for it to become a reality.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed Apr 20, 2022 5:25 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 2:08 pm
I guess I see a different Burns to everyone else, yes he has bad delivery at times like everyone else but his ball into the box for Thompson to head back to Morsy to score was exquisite
I haven't been able to watch many games recently, but I have been impressed with Burns' driving runs down the flank. He has a bit of speed, and he can unsettle defenders. As far as his final ball?...well you could say that 'every' ITFC player can improve in that dept.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Apr 20, 2022 5:37 pm

As a mainly non watching, but report reading fan from afar…… Burns should be POTS.

Thats if the reports are accurate in their assessments.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:00 pm

He will be POTS, no question, without his goals, assists and all round work load we'd be way worse off.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:11 pm

Woolfy most improved but poor start to season

Andym

Post by Andym » Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:56 pm

I think Woolfy needs experience around him and I’d better suited to a back 3.
Burns was in my opinion a bit hit and miss and the start but has regularly been one of our better players week on week. Sure, some crosses don’t hit their target; if they did, he wouldn’t be playing in league 1. But he’s scored a few and I guess he has more assists than anyone else?

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Thu Apr 21, 2022 4:21 am

Since finding ifollow I’ve watched most of our games and for me apart from a few games when he’s been completely shut out, Burns has been our stand out player, however Christian Walton can’t be far behind surely.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Thu Apr 21, 2022 6:21 am

Not really sure why Burns is being singled out. Hes been one of our best players. I've had a few 'oh Wes' moments where he wastes the final ball, but he's usually got himself in good positions from his own good work prior to that. And we picked him up for apparently low hundred K price. Absolute bargain.

His relationship with Donacien down that right-hand side has been a real joy to watch this season and a pity we can't replicate that down the left hand side.

I'd give POTS to Donacien. Wolfie would have been a contender for the second half of the season but JD has been the most improved and consistent player throughout the season. And his story is pretty amazing since we ignored him for 3 seasons.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Apr 21, 2022 7:56 am

Good shout for Donacien too how refreshing is it that we have Burns, Walton, Woolfy, Donacien and Morsy all as genuine contenders, in years gone by its been the bloody tea lady or hot dog seller.