Is it just Ipswich?

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Blue Wilf

Is it just Ipswich?

Post by Blue Wilf » Fri Apr 22, 2022 6:25 am

Just a question, but there are a few things that happen around a football club that remain unexplained for me. In particular, coincidences or just things that you know have a level of inevitability - but is it just Ipswich that has this or do other clubs suffer it as much? In fact, it is Ipswich over the last 20 years - I don't recall it as much before that. Its like a curse. What I mean here is:-

- Ex-players who were anonymous for us ALWAYS come back and score against us (ie Keane£
- Clubs who are in free-fall appoint a new manager the day before playing us and then get the new manager bounce and win! (Too numerous to mention)
- Teams who cannot buy a win play Ipswich and win (ie Rotherham etc)

There are probably more examples but it just feels that we either lack the backbone to prevent this happening or maybe it is just coincidence. Either way its bloody annoying!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: Is it just Ipswich?

Post by Bluemike » Fri Apr 22, 2022 7:57 am

I think we hear about it cus it's our club but I bet it happens all over the place Wilf, I think the biggest One for us is our jinx on Sky.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Fri Apr 22, 2022 8:31 am

Or players who were sicknotes here going on to play week in week out for a new club?
David McGoldrick and Will Keane spring easily to mind, Teddy Bishop too has managed 35 appearances for Lincoln this season, almost a third of his total (123) over 7 years (from his first team debut) at Ipswich!

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Fri Apr 22, 2022 9:18 am

BW I think your right, also the sicknotes and sky as well that have been mentioned......Its just Ipswich unfortunately 😕.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Apr 22, 2022 10:15 am

Hopefully now we have a new mentality running through the club.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Fri Apr 22, 2022 10:43 am

Bluemike wrote:
Fri Apr 22, 2022 10:15 am
Hopefully now we have a new mentality running through the club.
I hope so, but I do think we need to add some toughness to the squad. Don't think we're there yet.

Morsy is always being commented on for his lack of discipline, but I'd rather have that bit of mongrel in the side and live with the consequences. And I think, we need a couple more like him.

I really hope we bring in a couple of hardened players in the summer and not more flimsy, lightweight players who look great when things are going great but disappear when the going gets tough.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Apr 22, 2022 11:03 am

Yep, agree with all of that, we definitely need another snappy CM alongside Morsy, I do like Bakinson too but areas need improvement, im just not keen on Evans at all tbh. The one that springs to mind is Flynn Downes, I wish we had kept him but he wanted away so never an option.

Andym

Post by Andym » Fri Apr 22, 2022 8:30 pm

I agree I’d rather have Downes than Evans but as you say you can’t keep a player who wants away.
To return to the original post, I think the injuries bit was down to more than coincidence. I believe there was a problem with the medical team and/or training methods. Hopefully we are over that now.
I also believe the strikers coming back to haunt us is a bit of each. Players who move on always have extra incentive to do well against former clubs. But also we have as bit of a poor record with strikers - Keane has had a great season after a disappointing time here, and Piggott was scoring loads before but can’t buy a goal here. Whether that’s coaching, or the role they are asked to play, or the service they get, I’m not sure.

shabba

Post by shabba » Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:50 am

Something else I always notice with Ipswich is why can’t we take a throw in? Always seems a huge struggle to find a player, I don’t seem To notice other teams having this issue.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Apr 23, 2022 11:09 am

Yes I have picked up on that too Shabba, funnily enough Thompson is actually the best at throws, always trying to take a quick one.

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Sat Apr 23, 2022 4:44 pm

Am hoping we don't add another one in 'when we are 1 up we ALWAYS concede an equaliser...' 😱

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Sat Apr 23, 2022 4:47 pm

And there it is...🙄