We’re not a big Club in League One

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

arana peligrosa

Re: We’re not a big Club in League One

Post by arana peligrosa » Wed Apr 20, 2022 4:31 pm

This issue should be so easy to compact. We had our time in the sun but it were 40 years ago. No domestic trophy since 1978 and like it or not the club name has fallen away in the time since, at least in terms of a new millennium.

So Ashton or whoever comes on board and declares this a big huge club or words to such effect. f**king hell it's par for the course for just about any manager / director / physio / canteen personnel, that joins up with a new club side. It's a requisite reaction that more often than not doesn't hold much water. What they supposed to say, "this is sh*t, I don't wish to be here, a bunch of constant underachievers but don't whisper it loudly I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings"

It's all about age perspective. I were fortunate enough to recall and witness back when we were on the verge of being - Yes - a great team - but sadly it were never going to last. Maybe some further back remember Phillips / Crawford and the '62 League Title Win but didn't get to revel in that particular accomplishment.

All said this is the reality, 2022 and we're at Third League level, no act of magic will change it. It's up to the manager, owners, directors, the players themselves to not get us back to how some remember it but at least a move in the right direction. Playing again at Championship level would be a good way to start. Won't get this time back but speak out while the opportunity presents itself if nothing else.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Apr 20, 2022 5:32 pm

Think its becoming a bit complex is it not?
I, (like Bluemike i’d assume) would like to think that a present day 16 year old believes Ipswich Town has a bit more stature than Cheltenham Town or Forest Green Rovers? 🤔 I’d hope so………. Otherwise there is no hope!

At the end of the day…… AndyM’s Luton Town have proved its about ambition. Tier 5 six seasons ago and now in a play off place for the EPL. It can be done. And I think 99% of this forum “believe” Gamechanger & Kieron will BE that ambition that is required.

But………. Until then, its Deportivo La AC Crewe Alexandrapanathinaikos at the weekend. 👍

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Apr 20, 2022 5:58 pm

Yes Marko, you assume correctly, its a fact.

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Mon Apr 25, 2022 3:08 pm

this thread reminds me of the famous clip :lol:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppv97S3ih14

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:33 am

What you trying to say?!!

Cleese - Wolves
Barker - Ipswich
Corbett - Norwich

:lol:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:47 am

Ricco wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:33 am

Cleese - Wolves
Barker - Ipswich
Corbett - Norwich

Think next season in L1 it’ll be …..

Cleese - Forest Green Rovers
Barker - Cheltenham Town
Corbett - Ipswich Town

…….. and like a Stenhousemuir v Falkirk derby match, the soccer will be a f**king treat to watch.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Apr 26, 2022 12:23 pm

Speaking of Stenny, we need to beat them Saturday to guarantee second place behind "let's buy the title" Kelty Hearts.

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Tue Apr 26, 2022 4:20 pm

Ricco wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:33 am

Cleese - Wolves
Barker - Ipswich
Corbett - Norwich

:D
think i would put us in the Ronnie Barker position,
think Norwich are way down lower than Ronnie C.

probably between the Sandwell tribe at the back and the fella with the club, better known as the Vile Age ,

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:28 am

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the fella with the flint is Grant Holt :lol:

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Sun May 01, 2022 12:23 pm

21,779 average home league attendance for a team that finished 11th in the Third Division is amazing. That is over a half million supporters over 23 games. Big club with a big fan base. If we are going for promotion or play offs next season the figures will be even bigger. 👍

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon May 02, 2022 3:25 am

Really don’t care if we’re perceived as a big club or not. What bothers me most are the people who criticize the proper way of playing football. It’s not tippy tappy football, it’s a foundation for playing football the proper way. We just need to fine tune the final product and we’ll be ok.

I’m still trying to figure out why Rossi doesn’t like Burns. I’m afraid I disagree with you on that one. Have fun in the Phi!

rossi

Post by rossi » Mon May 02, 2022 9:35 am

number 9 wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 3:25 am
Really don’t care if we’re perceived as a big club or not. What bothers me most are the people who criticize the proper way of playing football. It’s not tippy tappy football, it’s a foundation for playing football the proper way. We just need to fine tune the final product and we’ll be ok.

I’m still trying to figure out why Rossi doesn’t like Burns. I’m afraid I disagree with you on that one. Have fun in the Phi!
We're not necessarily going to get out of this league by playing football in the 'proper way'. Total football works well in the top 2 divisions - we have to realise that we're in a kick and rush league, and play accordingly. I would definitely describe the way we have played of late as being tippy-tappy - too much trying to walk the ball into the net.

As for Burns, we all have our opinions on players - none are necessarily right and none are necessarily wrong, they're just opinions. And I don't like Burns as a player, end of story.

Andym

Post by Andym » Mon May 02, 2022 10:02 am

number 9 wrote:
I agree completely. I could watch football like Saturday's every week, whether we are in the prem or the national league. The best part of Saturday was that we played our passing game right into the opponents' penalty area. And some fuckwit behind me still shouted and moaned every time we played a ball sideways or backwards. He should go and watch Rotherham if he wants to see long balls lumped forward.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon May 02, 2022 10:31 am

Much as I enjoyed Saturdays game and a great way to end the season, we're not going to be able to play like that every week. It was an open game and could have ended 8-3. We're not going to get that amount of space every week.

McKenna has been honest in saying that we have to find other ways to score. Doesn't mean we have to tear up the script and go full on Mccarthy anti- football, but we do have to be a bit more direct at times and score more ugly goals. Still plenty of scope for entertaining, attractive and winning football even if we need to go a bit more ugly or direct at times.

rossi

Post by rossi » Mon May 02, 2022 11:51 am

Andym wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 10:02 am
number 9 wrote:
I agree completely. I could watch football like Saturday's every week, whether we are in the prem or the national league. The best part of Saturday was that we played our passing game right into the opponents' penalty area. And some fuckwit behind me still shouted and moaned every time we played a ball sideways or backwards. He should go and watch Rotherham if he wants to see long balls lumped forward.
........... yes, and he will be watching Championship football not League 1. There's a reason why Rotherham keep getting promoted and we don't.

Andym

Post by Andym » Mon May 02, 2022 10:35 pm

rossi wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 11:51 am
Andym wrote:
number 9 wrote:
........... yes, and he will be watching Championship football not League 1. There's a reason why Rotherham keep getting promoted and we don't.
..which is why I put the bit in bold. I'd be happier watching us play good football in league 1 than hoofball in the championship. It looked in the last match or two as if we'd learned to shoot from outside the box occasionally. Now if we can learn how to take and score from a corner, we'd do very well with our attractive football. We really don't have to resort to long ball stuff.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon May 02, 2022 11:06 pm

Andym wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 10:35 pm
rossi wrote:
Andym wrote:

..which is why I put the bit in bold. I'd be happier watching us play good football in league 1 than hoofball in the championship. It looked in the last match or two as if we'd learned to shoot from outside the box occasionally. Now if we can learn how to take and score from a corner, we'd do very well with our attractive football. We really don't have to resort to long ball stuff.
Yeah I completely understand Rossi’s opinion, but I think you have to build the foundation of total football and tweak where necessary. In our case, the tweaking needs to be in the form of manufacturing goals in other areas. Fulham are a great example of a team playing quality football and eventually finding success. I know we’re all running out of patience, but I’m confident KM’s approach will eventually pay off…and with that ingrained ethos we should be in a better position to succeed at a higher level. Just my opinion.

MasseyFerguson

Post by MasseyFerguson » Mon May 02, 2022 11:38 pm

Andym wrote:
rossi wrote:
Andym wrote:

I agree 100%

Ohiotractorboy

Post by Ohiotractorboy » Tue May 03, 2022 12:26 am

I just saw the highlights on Ipswich's and Alex Griffin's youtube channels, but it seems like the crowds are the largest I have seen since I came on board in 2010. Is there that much more excitement going into next year? If so, is it due to the new ownership?

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue May 03, 2022 7:04 am

Opinions being put out there which is great for the forum.

My opinion……. With Rossi on this. Need to be bursting the net from chances made from the “Total football”.
Two, maybe even only one, injury and the “Total Football” thing is fkd.

New strikers all round, (was in your corner MacBonne, but not anymore; you had chances)…… Piggott is worse than sh*t, Jackson not the answer…… and controversially, James Norwood is the only one i’d have kept, but 🤷‍♂️……… new strikers, a couple more less greedy and a tad more visionary Celinas, and could reach 7th next season! :D

rossi

Post by rossi » Tue May 03, 2022 8:04 am

Andym wrote:
rossi wrote:
Andym wrote:

We will have to agree to differ there, Andy.

Personally, I would say that to prefer to watch us play 'proper football' in this division against the likes of Fleetwood, Morecambe, Cheltenham et al rather than watch games against Norwich, Forest, Sheff Utd etc shows a remarkable lack of ambition for the club which I sincerely hope is not echoed by the owners.

And I think you're missing my point which is that I don't believe it's possible to get out of this division by playing the 'proper football' you speak of - the teams that have got promoted over the last few seasons have done it by playing direct and scoring plenty of goals, that's the only way to win against the majority of opponents that will crowd out the midfield in an effort to negate play.

So for me, direct attacking football (or hoofball as you prefer to call it) to get out of this division, and then 'proper football' after that.

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Wed May 11, 2022 9:37 am

After watching the play off semi finals I found the standard of football played poor. There was a lot "direct, hoof ball " played. So if Town manage to get out of this League playing football it would make the achievement doubley nice. You expect "hoof ball" from Wycombe, Cheltenham, Fleetwood etc etc but not the so called "bigger clubs" Sunderland, Sheffield Wed. I hope Town achieve their aim playing the right way. Don't get me wrong here "hoof ball" is great in the 90th minute if your winning 1-0, preferably in row Z.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon May 16, 2022 11:01 pm

It’s about being adaptable in games.

Previous managers have been criticised for being too fixed in their approaches. These managers include, McCarthy, Lambert, Cook and to a degree I would add young Mr McKenna to that list.

I’ll repeat. It’s about being adaptable in games…..

Having it in your locker, to play direct football when required or nice purist football when we can. To attempt to stick to one or the other will not get us out of this division. We have never in all my years of watching this Club, ever been a physical side. I doubt that will change, but we do have to be able to meet that physical challenge when opponents present it to us.To date ( over many years) we simply don’t cope with it, and nor are we “ street wise” with the gamesmanship that now exists in in the game. That doesn’t mean we have to adopt the 90 mins of time wasting approach that Oxford produced at PR this season, but we need to have least have the savvy/ ability in the side to see games out. The best way is to put the game beyond doubt.

We know the level of officiating at this level is utter cross. But if we took our chances better in games, these poor decisions wouldn’t have the same impact on us, or give the opposition the opportunity to play for those dodgy decisions. We need to put games to bed by scoring 2 or heaven forbid 3 goals in a game. Then there’s no disputing the outcome!

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Tue May 17, 2022 5:49 am

hallamblue wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 11:01 pm
It’s about being adaptable in games.

Previous managers have been criticised for being too fixed in their approaches. These managers include, McCarthy, Lambert, Cook and to a degree I would add young Mr McKenna to that list.

I’ll repeat. It’s about being adaptable in games…..

Having it in your locker, to play direct football when required or nice purist football when we can. To attempt to stick to one or the other will not get us out of this division. We have never in all my years of watching this Club, ever been a physical side. I doubt that will change, but we do have to be able to meet that physical challenge when opponents present it to us.To date ( over many years) we simply don’t cope with it, and nor are we “ street wise” with the gamesmanship that now exists in in the game. That doesn’t mean we have to adopt the 90 mins of time wasting approach that Oxford produced at PR this season, but we need to have least have the savvy/ ability in the side to see games out. The best way is to put the game beyond doubt.

We know the level of officiating at this level is utter cross. But if we took our chances better in games, these poor decisions wouldn’t have the same impact on us, or give the opposition the opportunity to play for those dodgy decisions. We need to put games to bed by scoring 2 or heaven forbid 3 goals in a game. Then there’s no disputing the outcome!
Nice to see you back Liz. :D

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed May 18, 2022 9:49 pm

Even if I do tend to talk a load of drivel lol :lol: :wink: