Town part of a very small elite club

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

hallamblue

Town part of a very small elite club

Post by hallamblue » Sat May 28, 2022 8:59 am

Of those Clubs who have beaten Real Madrid !

In 1973, Town beat them 1-0 at PR in the European Cup , and draw 0-0 at their place to dump them out of the Cup. Only 2 other British Clubs have done similar I think ….

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-to ... id-8996922

I was stood in the North Stand that night for this game. And my uncle ( who’s now 93yrs old) was stiff with his wife in the Churchman Stand ( opposite end of the ground) …

TWTD 👍

mendipblue

Re: Town part of a very small elite club

Post by mendipblue » Sat May 28, 2022 9:35 am

hallamblue wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 8:59 am

In 1973, Town beat them 1-0 at PR in the European Cup , and draw 0-0 at their place to dump them out of the Cup. Only 2 other British Clubs have done similar I think ….

I was stood in the North Stand that night for this game. And my uncle ( who’s now 93yrs old) was
  • stiff
with his wife in the Churchman Stand ( opposite end of the ground) …

TWTD 👍
His wife obviously made him happy

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat May 28, 2022 10:53 am

🤦‍♂️ :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hallam…….. proof read before pressing send! :lol:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat May 28, 2022 11:35 am

Hallam, you’ve made me go search the story of Hibs wins v Real & Barca…… and I promise not taking anything away from the stories of Ipswich in Europe…….. the ONLY reason i post this is mainly due to this report. There has been a lot of chat in various places about the conduct of players towards the referees these days. Well this was 1960 and it couldnt get any worse. :shock: Ref awarding Hibs a pen in Barca with 6 minutes to go……… sounds like the ref was dicing with death! :shock:

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/ ... nal-823079

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat May 28, 2022 2:35 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 10:53 am
🤦‍♂️ :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hallam…….. proof read before pressing send! :lol:
Ha ha …. I only post these things for marko !!! :lol: :lol: …. He’s probably closer to being stiff now at 93 than he was back then … although the Churchman’s stand wasn’t for shrinking violets in those days , so no telling what he got up too !!

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat May 28, 2022 2:42 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 11:35 am
Hallam, you’ve made me go search the story of Hibs wins v Real & Barca…… and I promise not taking anything away from the stories of Ipswich in Europe…….. the ONLY reason i post this is mainly due to this report. There has been a lot of chat in various places about the conduct of players towards the referees these days. Well this was 1960 and it couldnt get any worse. :shock: Ref awarding Hibs a pen in Barca with 6 minutes to go……… sounds like the ref was dicing with death! :shock:

Lol wish I’d seen that !!! It reminds of another European game Town were in : vs Lazio or maybe a Turkish side? We’d beaten them at PR snd thus was the return leg . Not if circumstance , eg if we’d scored , but they chased a Town player from one end of the pitch to other and which Town player it was “hid” behind Paul Cooper ! I think they were kicking the crap out of us tbh but the red was too scared to book em …. Can’t remember who the team was though 🤷‍♀️

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/ ... nal-823079

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat May 28, 2022 2:43 pm

mendipblue wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 9:35 am
hallamblue wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 8:59 am

I was stood in the North Stand that night for this game. And my uncle ( who’s now 93yrs old) was
  • stiff
with his wife in the Churchman Stand ( opposite end of the ground) …

TWTD 👍
His wife obviously made him happy
I don’t think I can comment on that :lol:

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Tue May 31, 2022 3:48 pm

Aberdeen did it in 1983 in a European Final, totally outlandish achievement now from today's perspective but it happened all the same. Dundee United won away at Barcelona in the UEFA Cup latter stages on route to a Final maybe four years after, just goes to show that all things are possible.

Few things here, our home record in Europe is one to take pride in. f*ck what Norwich fans think or suggest, we've taken on and beaten some of the very best the world can offer on home soil. Not just one game but a whole series of them. It gives you pride whichever way you view it.

There's a clear unambiguous relief and satisfaction in the weekends recent European Cup Final event. Cannot abide Liverpool but credit to them they've had a marvellous season and Klopp is evidently (by now) on a plateau with Shankly and Paisley. To get with range of winning Four trophies in one season was amazing but that score Saturday provided tangible satisfaction. Rangers and Liverpool both lose a European Final, hell you can't really ask for more.

Got to Paris in 2000 to see a win, couldn't make Hampden two years after but bottom line being they're without question the biggest and most successful European club side since records began. Two wins now over Liverpool in recent years at the Final stage, you got to make hay while sun shines but relief all the same the damn thing's over with. Were getting nervous with build-up and expectation et cetera.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Jun 03, 2022 12:42 pm

European Cup Winners Cup and yep the sheep were European Cup Winners Cup winners in 83. Thankfully that was binned.

And err……. Speaking about Ipswich’s European success in 80/81, its a good job there were considerably less nutcases in St Etienne that night. :shock:

https://youtu.be/2n5ZLvkZDQg

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Jun 04, 2022 7:31 am

Are we the only club who's won the league, FA Cup and UEFA Cup but who's been beaten by Barrow, Cheltenham and Newport in the same season? Think we are part of an elite club of one there.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Jun 04, 2022 9:29 am

Yep, if we'd have carried on with Cook it would soon have been Solihull Moors too, just ask Chesterfield fans.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat Jun 04, 2022 4:39 pm

Wouldn't class it as unique, just view it as an unfortunate run of scores following years of decline.

One further claim to add here, we must be the only team since records began in England if not UK to have been Champions of the country only to see a relegation two years after. Gave the issue some thought and were unable to provide another example. Guess someone else has the dubious claim but you can only ponder on things for so long.