First new signing

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Kerry Blue

First new signing

Post by Kerry Blue » Mon May 30, 2022 6:09 pm

Town have announced the signing of former Rotherham striker Freddie Ladapo.

Adding firepower to the squad has been high on the Blues' priorities during the close season with Kieran McKenna’s side having been unable to turn dominant displays into goals on a number of occasions during 2021/22.

Ladapo, 29, was a youth player with Southend and Colchester before making his first league appearances with the U’s in 2012/13 and spent stints on loan at Thurrock, Chelmsford, Bishop Stortford, Woking and Nuneaton while with the North Essex side.Spells with Kidderminster, Hayes & Yeading (loan), Grays (loan) and Margate followed before a big move to Premier League Crystal Palace in March 2016.

The 6ft 2in tall striker joined Oldham and then Shrewsbury on loan and left the Eagles in January 2018 having made only two senior sub appearances to join Southend.

Six months later, he moved on to Plymouth, before he signed for Rotherham for a reported £500,000 in the summer of 2019, the South Yorkshire club’s record signing.

Romford-born Ladapo scored 41 goals in 78 starts and 45 sub appearances in his two seasons with the Millers, nine in the first in the Championship and 15 last season.

In January, Rotherham announced that Ladapo had handed in a transfer request with Sheffield Wednesday having shown interest.

A fortnight ago, the Millers announced that they had released the striker despite having an option to keep him for a further season having left him out of their final three games of their promotion campaign.

Ladapo becomes Town’s first signing of the summer and manager McKenna’s first permanent senior recruit since he took over at Portman Road in December.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: First new signing

Post by Bluemike » Mon May 30, 2022 6:18 pm

Not a name any of us would have offered up but equally also not a name any of us will have great knowledge of. He does score goals and in KM we trust.

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Mon May 30, 2022 6:27 pm

Yes agree Mike but good that we are hopefully getting things done early and obviously KMc rates him and on a free and coming from Rotherham wages would be low I would think.

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Mon May 30, 2022 6:50 pm

I've just looked at him on YouTube ( I know they always look good ) but I was surprised he scores with both feet from distance and close range, looks good IMO.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon May 30, 2022 9:07 pm

Not an over exciting signing but if nothing else simply reaffirms the level we’re at these days.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Tue May 31, 2022 4:42 am

Charnwood wrote:
Mon May 30, 2022 9:07 pm
Not an over exciting signing but if nothing else simply reaffirms the level we’re at these days.
Possibly so, but maybe the more physical type of player more suited to getting us out of League 1, I hope!

Certainly 2 promotions from League 1 with Rotherham is a decent pedigree! :D

rossi

Post by rossi » Tue May 31, 2022 8:19 am

around 11 seasons ago - when a teenager - he was loaned to Chelmsford City and played 3 games for them, He didn't score, but my neighbor (who has been involved in the backtoom at CCFC for 50 years) told me that he hadn't seen a better striker since the legendary Frank Peterson. So he must have something about him.

I agree with what others have said - not a signing that really excites, but realistically we are at a level where we will find it difficult if not impossible to attract class.
Last edited by rossi on Tue May 31, 2022 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Tue May 31, 2022 1:03 pm

Cannot say i'm over the moon with the new signing but we have to give him a chance, sure KM and his staff would of given him a good checking out before hand.

Just reading the Rotherham fans thoughts on him and they are not exactly glowing, be interesting to see how they fare now, never know me may replace them next season and shut them up!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue May 31, 2022 1:19 pm

Looks pretty useful on the notorious YouTube video, a couple of things I did notice, firstly how many goals he gets from inside the 6 yard box and secondly can't half hit a ball with both feet. I'm more than happy to give the guy a chance, let's face it the dross in the striking department we had last season won't take much replacing for the better.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Tue May 31, 2022 3:28 pm

We're a League One team struggling to regain previous stature, there'll be no extravagant buys or big name purchases, that's the reality we're at and while it's a name I don't recognize and question if he's maybe as prolific as stats suggest why would Rotherham release him. Guess he's not part of their Championship future or they got enough strikers that remain good enough.

I'd be willing to allow any name a chance here before they've even tried out and would imagine now his entrance should pave the way for one or two of our own forwards to move on. Not picking names but any number of the fanbase should be aware of who is just about surplus for us now in that particular field.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Tue May 31, 2022 3:30 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 1:19 pm
Looks pretty useful on the notorious YouTube video, a couple of things I did notice, firstly how many goals he gets from inside the 6 yard box and secondly can't half hit a ball with both feet. I'm more than happy to give the guy a chance, let's face it the dross in the striking department we had last season won't take much replacing for the better.
Likewise, I was about to post the same about his 6 yard box finishes, having seen his goals/assists for Rotherham 19/20 season
( https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-to ... le-9006982 ).
What was our Achilles heel last season? An inability to score from corners/set pieces I would say! Now if he comes in and scores from set pieces surely that is a good thing? It is in my eyes!
Is he a player for future seasons? Personally I will not give two hoots if he scores the goals to get us out of this awful L1.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue May 31, 2022 3:56 pm

Ditto Mark

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue May 31, 2022 4:52 pm

Maybe he’s our new Fox in the Box 👍….🦊

Andym

Post by Andym » Tue May 31, 2022 5:13 pm

I don’t follow other teams enough to know about other teams’ players. But we have seen strikers fail here and do well before and or after. Much is to do with systems and style of play. I’m not bothered if he’s come from the prem or there Ipswich Sunday league, if he fits our system and can score goals, that’ll do. Never judge a player until he’s played a few games for us. They important thing is I guess that it first signing is in an area that we know we need.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue May 31, 2022 5:49 pm

Don’t forget though………, MacBonne had more than a few games —->> was judged, —->> possible return to QPR with a £5M price tag……… and that quickly turned to sh*t…….. whether that was MacBonne himself or Paul Cooks management, who knows. 🤷‍♂️

He needs to start very well indeed in whatever system KMcK adopts. That goes for any player coming in the door. Fairly confident Kieron will stumble upon his formula in pre-season and it’ll carry on into August then be consistent. He’s already proved that he doesn’t like “tinkering” so barring injuries, (please 🙏, no injuries) a settled winning side could be on the horizon.

Maybe even start scoring from corners again like the Murphy era. 👍

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Tue May 31, 2022 8:48 pm

Interesting read let's hope KMc can get the best out of him and he behaves himself.

https://www.rotherhamadvertiser.co.uk/n ... _41788.htm

rossi

Post by rossi » Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:17 am

AzzurroMark wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 3:30 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Likewise, I was about to post the same about his 6 yard box finishes, having seen his goals/assists for Rotherham 19/20 season
What was our Achilles heel last season? An inability to score from corners/set pieces I would say! Now if he comes in and scores from set pieces surely that is a good thing? It is in my eyes!
Is he a player for future seasons? Personally I will not give two hoots if he scores the goals to get us out of this awful L1.
It doesn't matter how good he is - if our delivery of the final ball (including corners) does not massively improve then we will never score many goals. The problem was never with the people supposed to be putting the ball away.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:52 am

Doesnt' look like a great signing, but very happy to hold my hands up and be wrong in 12 months.

We have a decent enough squad now, we can afford to wait until we can get the very best of what we need, buy no player who won't definitely improve the starting 11.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:10 am

rossi wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:17 am
AzzurroMark wrote:
Bluemike wrote:
It doesn't matter how good he is - if our delivery of the final ball (including corners) does not massively improve then we will never score many goals. The problem was never with the people supposed to be putting the ball away.
Hopefully the dead ball deliverer will be next onthe shopping list. :wink:

rossi

Post by rossi » Wed Jun 01, 2022 12:26 pm

AzzurroMark wrote:
Hopefully the dead ball deliverer will be next onthe shopping list. :wink:
Yeah, I totally get what you're saying, but that's only half the problem.

On dead ball kicks - it doesn't seem to matter who takes them, Burns, Chaplin, Celina, et al, usually what happens is either the ball travels at knee height and hits the first defender, or it is floated so slowly that it's simple for the goalkeeper to get to. I cannot believe that any professional footballer cannot consistently deliver a decent dead ball, but that certainly seems to be the case with our current squad.

Worse - how many times do our wingers and/or wing backs make really good runs down the flank and then - before delivering the ball - stop and turn to get the ball onto their favoured foot, losing all advantage gained in the process?
FFS - when I was a kid the neighbor's garage ran alongside part of our garden - my Dad chalked a large square containing 9 smaller squares numbered 1 to 9. A football was placed 15 yards away, we had to run up to kick the ball and just before we kicked it my Dad would call out a number and we had to hit that. He made us practice this day in and day out, using both feet, and judged his success by the number of times the neighbor called to complain that the thudding of the ball against the garage wall knocked down jars and tins of paint from the shelves. With all the modern training facilities now available, I struggle to comprehend how some players cannot use both feet equally.

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Wed Jun 01, 2022 3:09 pm

Looks like another signing Dominic Ball from QPR.

Ball, 26, played 23 times for QPR last season, scoring once, but only appeared four times after Christmas. He will arrive as a free transfer.

In all he played 100 games for the Hoops after signing in 2019, scoring three goals and making 74 starts.

Ball, a product of the Tottenham youth set-up - where he worked with Town boss Kieran McKenna - plays primarily as a defensive midfielder, but can play across numerous positions at the back.

He has played for Cambridge United, Rangers - where he helped them win the Scottish Championship in 2015/16 - Rotherham, Peterborough and Aberdeen, as well as QPR.

Town signed striker Freddie Ladapo on Monday.

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/ ... 3-midfield Taken from End of year report from QPR, looks a good addition and can play right back and centre half 26 years old and on a free 👍

Confirmed he has signed a two year deal.
Last edited by Kerry Blue on Wed Jun 01, 2022 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rossi

Post by rossi » Wed Jun 01, 2022 4:33 pm

oh, yet another midfielder - woopie-doo. I suppose if Bakinson doesn't come back then maybe we need squad cover for a midfielder, but this guy sounds too much like Cole Skuse for my liking :(

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:44 pm

I doubt Bakinson will return and I can see Harper on his way too .

With these two signings we look to be getting some much needed experience and more importantly, steel in the squad .

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Thu Jun 02, 2022 9:25 am

And height. Both players 6ft 2 maybe we will score from a corner or free kick? 🤔

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Thu Jun 02, 2022 7:05 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:44 pm
I doubt Bakinson will return and I can see Harper on his way too .

With these two signings we look to be getting some much needed experience and more importantly, steel in the squad .

Bristol City boss Nigel Pearson is no great fan of Bakinson so he could still find himself back at Portman Road next season. I certainly wouldn’t write it off.