EFL Rule charges - 5 subs!

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

shabba

EFL Rule charges - 5 subs!

Post by shabba » Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:50 pm

What a interesting one this is, clubs in the EFL can now make five subs.

Hopefully that will help us given we should have a squad deep in quality and makes changing tactic easier, but also gives the youngsters more minutes.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: EFL Rule charges - 5 subs!

Post by Bluemike » Fri Jun 10, 2022 11:25 pm

I just think it's too many tbh..

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Jun 10, 2022 11:37 pm

You’ve not read the report correctly, Shabba. EFL is the new “English Fat Law”…… much like the SFL, the “Scottish Fat Law”…….. every season ticket holder must eat 5 subs at every home game.

Could go a couple o foot longs @ HT……. But 5?

Seriously though…….. yep……, agree with Mike….. three is more than enough.

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Sat Jun 11, 2022 7:25 am

A licence to time waste. Another stupid rule made up by stupid old men...(and yes I do identify as one - old man, not stupid!) 😂

rossi

Post by rossi » Sat Jun 11, 2022 8:32 am

Absolutely ridiculous decision - beggars belief

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat Jun 11, 2022 1:31 pm

guess an old adage More is Less comes to mind although this proposal or implementation will have it's uses or benefits.

probably (to be) used in Cup games / exhibition run-outs, that kind of thing at least for the immediate future. Can't see it overly used in league action for the initial plan. Took a moment to wonder why now, some time into the 21st century, this idea has only now been brought forward or used to purpose.

all said it's something that's not necessary. Three were or are enough, most games finish at 90 minutes. More subs to pick from, maybe there's just not the time to accommodate them or the idea.

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Sat Jun 11, 2022 3:20 pm

Would rather they clamped down on time wasting and play acting.

How many times do we see teams with players going down with cramp and slowness in play to disrupt the opposition.

Football is an entertainment so why do the EFL not concentrate on trying to improve this instead of rule changing which really cannot see improving play at all

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Jun 11, 2022 5:56 pm

Steve and Jo wrote:
Sat Jun 11, 2022 3:20 pm
Would rather they clamped down on time wasting and play acting.

How many times do we see teams with players going down with cramp and slowness in play to disrupt the opposition.

Football is an entertainment so why do the EFL not concentrate on trying to improve this instead of rule changing which really cannot see improving play at all
Yep. It is the ONLY sport on this planet where blatant time wasting and blatant cheating is tolerated.
No wonder the officials do not get respect because they are the ones who didn't clamp down on it back in the 80s/90s. The game is reaping what it sowed.
I certainly couldn’t be a ref. It’d be 5-aside by HT having sent every “C” off.

Johnjosh43

Post by Johnjosh43 » Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:29 pm

Doesn’t change much time wasting. You’re still only allowed three slots in open play. So two must be made together twice to use all 5 plus half time. It’s been like this for a while in Scotland.

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:17 am

Johnjosh43 wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:29 pm
Doesn’t change much time wasting. You’re still only allowed three slots in open play. So two must be made together twice to use all 5 plus half time. It’s been like this for a while in Scotland.
Welcome to the forum buddy, and thanks for posting.

cheers Dave

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:25 pm

Johnjosh43 wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:29 pm
Welcome to the forum John

I wasn't suggesting the subs rules does make any difference with time wasting. I was meaning I personally would of preferred the EFL to change existing rules or amending them to tackle them regarding time wasting. Like a player goes to ground with nobody near them so the other players head off to the manager to get a team talk. Southampton used this tactic lots last season

Other forms of time wasting also. Football is a sport and an entertainment, anything to stop the time wasting would of pleased me more than the rules they are putting into place for the new season

Johnjosh43

Post by Johnjosh43 » Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:46 pm

It’s a fine line. American sports have timeouts which then morphed into guaranteed time ad breaks. Do we want that ? It’s the next step when you have off field time keepers. Rugby League is probably best with ref controlling the clock but everyone sees it and it’s obvious with his arms in the air.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Jul 03, 2022 10:47 am

5 subs will certainly favour the intelligent managers who can read the game well and make significant tactical changes. I think it will actually improve the game and make it far more interesting for fans, give more players game time and especially help young player development by giving them more first team opportunities. It does of course give an advantage to the better off clubs with larger squads, but I guess that works in our favour in League 1.