Rumors' & Transfers - Summer 2022

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

number 9

Re: Rumors' & Transfers - Summer 2022

Post by number 9 » Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:07 pm

Burns was as our top goal scorer I believe, so I wouldn’t change his position or role. As far as passing/moving the ball forward, I just think that’s the goal of every manager. First & foremost as someone else said, you have to keep possession which may require a backwards or sideways pass. I do think the slow, building attack is over done and predictable unless you have world class players who can do something special. I do miss the direct attack football of bygone years, and I believe a combination of tactics is the best thing going forward.

rossi

Post by rossi » Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:00 am

number 9 wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:07 pm
Burns was as our top goal scorer I believe, so I wouldn’t change his position or role. As far as passing/moving the ball forward, I just think that’s the goal of every manager. First & foremost as someone else said, you have to keep possession which may require a backwards or sideways pass. I do think the slow, building attack is over done and predictable unless you have world class players who can do something special. I do miss the direct attack football of bygone years, and I believe a combination of tactics is the best thing going forward.
so it's official then - Rossi is an old fart living in the past :lol:

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Jun 18, 2022 9:06 am

Bluemike wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:54 pm
Tangfastic wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:23 am
shabba wrote:
Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:25 pm
Not trying to come across difficult, but what have we actually seen? 2 games - Rotherham and charlton? Maybe some have seen a lot of u23 games?

I haven’t seen Ndaba at all to be fair though. Just would feel right to give him the chance given he has earnt it via such a good loan, provides a pathway and Baggot has time on his side to go get in 30-40 games and gain that experience of playing weekly fighting for points, then come back still at a young age and push for a place
I'm with you there. Don't understand the clamour to get Baggott into the side. It's only 2 games. He looked assured enough on the ball, but he still is raw in the defensive side. An experienced, tough striker would have fun with him and I thought in the 2 games he was lacking a bit with the defensive part of his game, although he was decent enough. Get him a season loan. It brought on Woolf and Ndaba, so why not him? And LCB is one area we're really strong in depth.How is he going to leap-frog Edmundson, Burgess and Ndaba by virtue of 2 dead-rubber games? We've still got the Evans-era syndrome of wanting to fill the side with academy players. One for the future with a loan out behind him, for me.
In one of those games Baggott was described as the best player on the pitch by the so called commentators and experts, not sure he was lacking in much at all that day.
I'm not knocking the lad, but as a CB he's got a lot to learn. I just thought he wasn't as dominant as a 6ft 4 CB should be- but that's not surprising as he needs to strengthen up and learn the dark arts. He's only 19 and is not used to playing mens football. CB''s usually reach their peak in their late twenties/early thirties so he's got plenty of time. Looked very composed on the ball, but got caught out a couple of times defensively. But then Edmundson and Burgess have got errors in them.
If we were desperate for a LCB then can see him being pushed, but LCB is one area we've got plenty of depth. Likely he won't make the bench if both Edmundson and Burgess are fit, so it would be better if he could get a good loan rather than more 23's football.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Jun 18, 2022 9:50 am

rossi wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:00 am
number 9 wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:07 pm
so it's official then - Rossi is an old fart living in the past :lol:
Ha ha, well WE all knew that anyway :wink:

shabba

Post by shabba » Sat Jun 18, 2022 11:26 am

As usual fully agree with Tang.

https://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-new ... el-mizouni

As for El Miz, can’t see him making it here now so probably it needs to move on. Probably one of those transfer where you’d almost let him go for free but with a decent sell on. Doubt many clubs have money for transfer fees in this league and below.

Good luck to him and he could probably become a decent enough player at this level with regular game time.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Jun 19, 2022 8:06 am

Tangfastic wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 9:06 am
Bluemike wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:54 pm
Tangfastic wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:23 am

I'm with you there. Don't understand the clamour to get Baggott into the side. It's only 2 games. He looked assured enough on the ball, but he still is raw in the defensive side. An experienced, tough striker would have fun with him and I thought in the 2 games he was lacking a bit with the defensive part of his game, although he was decent enough. Get him a season loan. It brought on Woolf and Ndaba, so why not him? And LCB is one area we're really strong in depth.How is he going to leap-frog Edmundson, Burgess and Ndaba by virtue of 2 dead-rubber games? We've still got the Evans-era syndrome of wanting to fill the side with academy players. One for the future with a loan out behind him, for me.
In one of those games Baggott was described as the best player on the pitch by the so called commentators and experts, not sure he was lacking in much at all that day.
I'm not knocking the lad, but as a CB he's got a lot to learn. I just thought he wasn't as dominant as a 6ft 4 CB should be- but that's not surprising as he needs to strengthen up and learn the dark arts. He's only 19 and is not used to playing mens football. CB''s usually reach their peak in their late twenties/early thirties so he's got plenty of time. Looked very composed on the ball, but got caught out a couple of times defensively. But then Edmundson and Burgess have got errors in them.
If we were desperate for a LCB then can see him being pushed, but LCB is one area we've got plenty of depth. Likely he won't make the bench if both Edmundson and Burgess are fit, so it would be better if he could get a good loan rather than more 23's football.
No I know you aren't knocking him and I agree he has much to learn, I just can't help but feel he'd been better off here and benefiting from some occasional game time which given our injury record he would surely get, I accept players often benefit from a stint on loan but with Baggott I genuinely believe he would be capable of stepping in, I don't see much in Burgess to be honest, would happily see him move on.

shabba

Post by shabba » Sun Jun 19, 2022 9:44 am

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/footb ... 7jqr1tws19

Clements off to work with Paul Cook again, fair play and wish him well.

Odd place to do the photo….

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:29 am

Ipswich Town are understood to be closing in on the signing of left-back Greg Leigh.

The 27-year-old was recently released by Morecambe after starting 33 games for them in League One last season.

Primarily a left-back, he also played a handful of games at right-back, left wing-back and left midfield for the Shrimps.

Leigh came through the youth ranks at Manchester City. After a loan spell with Crewe, he moved to Bradford and then Bury, racking up 130 appearances in League One.

A switch to Dutch top-flight side NAC Breda followed and, following their relegation, he joined Scottish side Aberdeen on loan with that move later becoming permanent.
Last summer he signed for Morecambe on a one-year deal.

Born in Sale, Leigh represented England at Under-19 level before choosing to represent Jamaica. He has been capped seven time by the Reggae Boyz, featuring in World Cup qualifiers against the likes of Mexico, Costa Rica and the USA last season.
Town's left side needed additions following the expiration of Dominic Thompson's loan spell from Brentford and the release of homegrown duo Bailey Clements and Myles Kenlock. That left Matt Penney as the only senior left-sided option.

It's understood that Blues boss Kieran McKenna will look to strengthen further in this position.

KMc looking to strengthen further in this position🤔 so are Penny's days numbered?, I'm not excited about this at all.

K L Blue

Post by K L Blue » Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:59 am

Linked to a leftback

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-to ... ng-9049170

I don't know much about him.

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Mon Jun 20, 2022 12:07 pm

Not enthralled by the latest link but if KM says he is ok then happy to see him here, thats if the link is genuine, suspect it is. A bit of competition for Penney (who I think is ok) has to be better than the loan we had in, Thompson. It is a position that needs sorting, be interesting to see if Edwards is moved on and replaced on the lhs too.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Jun 20, 2022 12:18 pm

Agreed, can only be better than Thompson, while I'm not jumping up and down in KM I trust, add to that the article says KM will probably be looking to strengthen the LB area further so this Leigh fella could be seen purely as back up, not sure where this leaves Matt Penney though.

shabba

Post by shabba » Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:03 pm

shabba

Post by shabba » Mon Jun 20, 2022 5:00 pm

Sorry posted the link before seeing the comments earlier.

I also find the is strange, I was expecting 3 top signings to go straight in as strong first choices. We need a top LWB, striker and number 10. You could just about make a case for Ladapo as the striker but this guy as a top league one LWB seems hopeful?

Unless as stated Penny goes and this guy is backup but who would be on for Penny and pay a fee etc?

I think Ball is a great singing by the way, just meant the three more we need i was hoping would be really players we could get excited about, either because they are very promising young talents or they are players proven at this level or above.

rossi

Post by rossi » Mon Jun 20, 2022 5:05 pm

shabba wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 5:00 pm
Sorry posted the link before seeing the comments earlier.

I also find the is strange, I was expecting 3 top signings to go straight in as strong first choices. We need a top LWB, striker and number 10. You could just about make a case for Ladapo as the striker but this guy as a top league one LWB seems hopeful?

Unless as stated Penny goes and this guy is backup but who would be on for Penny and pay a fee etc?

I think Ball is a great singing by the way, just meant the three more we need i was hoping would be really players we could get excited about, either because they are very promising young talents or they are players proven at this level or above.
TBH, I'm underwhelmed by all 3 signings thus far - but it's probably a good indicator of where we are as a club right now.
I wasn't expecting many signings, but KM had said that he wanted to get the bulk of the squad sorted by the time the pre-season training started which is today. It hasn't escaped my notice that all 3 signings so far have been freebies, but there again we might have to accept that players worth a transfer fee might not want to come here.

Denny61

Post by Denny61 » Mon Jun 20, 2022 5:48 pm

Maybe this American pot of gold isn't as full as we thought
We must remember that it's out of a pension fund that funds are being used and therefore its peoples life pensions and retirement nest eggs that is being invested .so i think that the Investors have told mckenna that no more funds to be used on buying players ..only look around and shore up certain positions with players who on low wages and free transfer.may jst do the job for us in league one.

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Mon Jun 20, 2022 6:07 pm

Greg Leigh confirmed signing a two year deal.

shabba

Post by shabba » Mon Jun 20, 2022 6:11 pm

I really don’t think that is the case, what we are spending now is small fry for what the long term goal is (to sell the club for a decent sum once it’s an established premier league side). Being tight now and remaining in league 1 will not be wise financially.

Players have gone so wages are available.

I’m not worried about lack of fee’s as I feel there is a shift to player power now where many are running down contracts in order to get moves/decent signing on fees, you could put a very Prem solid side together purely based on free agents this summer. (Obv wages would be high, but if you were a prem team etc).

It’s more the fact this LWB isn’t someone who was a star player for a club at our level, like burns was, or perhaps a player who had played at a level above for a good period of time. Fair enough I don’t know much about him but maybe that also says a lot.

shabba

Post by shabba » Mon Jun 20, 2022 6:14 pm

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Jun 20, 2022 8:21 pm

The fact we haven't spent a penny means nothing, nor would it cast doubts on the owners spending ability, its just a fact that players become free agents and you can get them for nothing, why waste money if you don't have to ? There doesn't always have to be a conspiracy theory although with our fans there usually is. I think what they have invested in this club already is remarkable.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon Jun 20, 2022 8:32 pm

I do think the budget will be a bit tighter than last season. The US financial institutions are predicting a significant recession and interest rates were recently raised to levels not seen since 2008. The stock market is taking a big hit, and let’s face it a strong market sustains retirement funds and obviously a week market shrinks the bottom line.

shabba

Post by shabba » Mon Jun 20, 2022 8:44 pm

Good points! Who’d have thought printing trillions of dollars would f**k up the economy :)

MasseyFerguson

Post by MasseyFerguson » Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:46 pm

number 9 wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 8:32 pm
I do think the budget will be a bit tighter than last season. The US financial institutions are predicting a significant recession and interest rates were recently raised to levels not seen since 2008. The stock market is taking a big hit, and let’s face it a strong market sustains retirement funds and obviously a week market shrinks the bottom line.
100%. Our scope for significantly strengthening the squad this season is a lot less now than we would have liked. This will be a real test of KMcK's ability to identify players with the necessary attributes to get us out of this league, while working with a restricted budget. I have faith in him, but it will not be easy.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:09 am

Too early to tell about these players. I'm thinking and hoping that's it's got nothing to do with a limited budget and everything to do with just finding the right kind of player to make it all work. We were out-muscled too often, so maybe these players we've brought In fit better in L1. No point in bringing in players like Celina if they can't handle the physicality in this division.
Did see a report (EADT?) that we're still looking for a LWB - so, if that's true, Penney might be moved on.
Would have thought it's top priority to get us out of this league so i would think the owners are still prepared to stick money in to get us out of the league.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Jun 21, 2022 8:05 am

Agreed, I am not the biggest Celina fan but I'm wondering if we are steadying ourselves for a decent bid for him, on his day brilliant, on 300 other days poor.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:05 pm

Although McKenna seems to prefer lining up with a lone striker supported by two attacking midfield players, I don’t really fancy kicking off the new season with just Kayden Jackson, Joe Pigott and the new signing Freddie Ladapo as our only striker options. With the new 5 subs rule coming into play next season there will be great opportunities to change formations throughout the game but with these three as our only strikers our options will be limited especially if one or more get injured. Surely after the departures of Macauley Bonne and James Norwood we need at least one more decent striker joining the squad. or have I missed something ?

shabba

Post by shabba » Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:20 pm

Striker just signed, loaned from
Arsenal. Seems to have been out and about at a number of clubs and had a bit of bad luck/injuries etc.
Unsure and doesn’t set my pulse going - more because we don’t have a standout/leading player in that position and doubt we will sign any more strikers now.

shabba

Post by shabba » Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:40 pm

Asked a blackpool supporter I know

TJJ is a very talented player and I think he will do very well for Ipswich. At Pool he impressed with his ability to ; beat a player, control was v.g and an excellent team player.Unfortunately he never quite delivered in terms of goals and assists and could be labelled as a "nearly man".. He was given many opportunities and was selected in the starting xi on many occasions. The supporter's and myself included were willing him to produce some golden moments but we could not rely on him so reluctantly we let him return to Arsenal.

He needs to "produce" but I am sure he will have benefitted from his experience and it would not surprise me if he was a "Star" for Ipswich next Season.I really hope so .. he is a bit lightweight and probably benefit from playing off a target man but equally could play in a front 3. I think he needs freedom to roam rather than playing wide.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:24 pm

I'm not one for highlight videos as the make everyone look good, but Arsenal chap looks decent, in my opinion he has a whiff of Counago about him, good close ball control.

It's a risk though, he failed to score in his last gig, so not a player we can rely on coming up with the goods I wouldn't think.

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:54 pm

I'm not very excited about this signing, if we are playing one up front I think we need a proven striker I just hope I'm wrong.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:11 pm

I can’t believe we sign a striker almost at the same time as I’m writing a post suggesting we desperately need another one. Whether or not this one (Tyreece John-Jules) is good enough is a different matter.