Rumors' & Transfers - Summer 2022

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

number 9

Re: Rumors' & Transfers - Summer 2022

Post by number 9 » Mon Jul 04, 2022 4:05 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 3:04 pm
K L Blue wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:23 pm
Dobra's gone then

https://www.itfc.co.uk/news/2022/july/d ... arts-town/

Looks like to Chesterfield

https://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-new ... esterfield
Never really quite made the grade. At least he has another opportunity and I wish him well.
Yep I had high hopes for the lad, but he didn't take his chances. He's a tenacious player, and I wish him the best of luck with his career.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Jul 04, 2022 10:13 pm

Couldn't even cut it at a struggling Colchester, correct move.

patthegimp

Post by patthegimp » Tue Jul 05, 2022 11:42 am

Flynn to Palace. Do we have a sell on clause?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Jul 05, 2022 12:14 pm

TWTD understands Town have made a bid for Leeds United left-back Leif Davis.

The offer is understood to be around the £1 million mark plus additional cash in potential top-ups.

Newcastle-born Davis, 22, was with Morecambe’s youth set-up as a schoolboy before joining the Elland Road club’s academy in July 2018.

Davis, who is 6ft tall and can also operate as a wing-back and at centre-half, spent last season on loan at AFC Bournemouth in the Championship, making 10 starts and five sub appearances, a move which was initially viewed as a precursor to a permanent switch.

For his parent club he has made six first-team starts and has made eight appearances from the bench.

Town have already signed one left-back this summer, former Morecambe man Greg Leigh, however it had been expected that they would look to bring in a second before the start of the season.

Strange as I was led to believe we were broke.

Denny61

Post by Denny61 » Tue Jul 05, 2022 12:47 pm

Its worrying when we going for this type of player..doesn't instill confidence..considering we have to get up this year. As its only one step away from premier league .this interest and waiting flynndowns knock backs suggests as I've already stated..that war chest is near empty and mckenna told ..get us up with what you got

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Tue Jul 05, 2022 12:50 pm

I don't believe we are broke Mike, just being frugal maybe, if Gamechanger had not of taken over would of been a totally different story and dread to think of where we would be now.

With the potential of Davis coming in would this mean Penney could be an option alongside Edwards for the left wing maybe? or move him on and bring in someone else in competition for the left side role? I personally don't mind Penney, think he is ok, some will differ in opinion.

What is the opinion on Harper, is he going to be sold or loaned out? With Burns on the right who is his competition if he was to get crocked, and would we need someone else in?

shabba

Post by shabba » Tue Jul 05, 2022 1:16 pm

I really don’t get this ‘we are broke’ talk?! 1m for a player at league one level is a huge fee. You simply cannot balance the books if you go and spend £10m on players, you’d be hung on the financial fair play rules.

To me this seems a v logical signing, a player from above who likely has talent but lack of opportunity due to his club being in a different shopping arena now they are in the PL. At a good age with room for growth and sell ok value, wages won’t be too massive either.

We either buy these or we buy from around and below us.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Jul 05, 2022 1:58 pm

I was being cynical, I don't believe we are broke at all, far from it, it was in response to the comments made on here about the owners pulling the reigns in due to the pension fund having taken a hit, hence us bringing in freebies. 🙄

Personally I think we can spend what we want subject to rules but KM was astute enough to get some decent signings in without spending which for me is good business sense.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Jul 05, 2022 2:00 pm

Denny61 wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 12:47 pm
Its worrying when we going for this type of player..doesn't instill confidence..considering we have to get up this year. As its only one step away from premier league .this interest and waiting flynndowns knock backs suggests as I've already stated..that war chest is near empty and mckenna told ..get us up with what you got
What is worrying ? 1 million at L1 level not good enough for you ? What doesn't instill confidence? You are completely wrong, it suggests the war chest is far from empty.

rossi

Post by rossi » Tue Jul 05, 2022 2:30 pm

so that will be one of the 2 further additions I was expecting, and this guy would seem to fulfill the LB/LWB position.

One signing to come then - a striker. I'm waiting to see who we get with bated breath, and nobody bates their breath better than I do because I am a master bater.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue Jul 05, 2022 2:44 pm

Seems like the perfect type for us...young, experienced and hungry!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leif_Davis

Also, did someone already post this?
Meanwhile, the Blues remain interested in Leicester City striker George Hirst. The 23-year-old scored 15 goals on loan for League One club Portsmouth last season, with Pompey keen to bring him back. It's believed that Foxes boss Brendan Rodgers wants to take a look at the front man in pre-season before deciding what his next move should be.
Last edited by number 9 on Tue Jul 05, 2022 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shabba

Post by shabba » Tue Jul 05, 2022 2:45 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 1:58 pm
I was being cynical, I don't believe we are broke at all, far from it, it was in response to the comments made on here about the owners pulling the reigns in due to the pension fund having taken a hit, hence us bringing in freebies. 🙄

Personally I think we can spend what we want subject to rules but KM was astute enough to get some decent signings in without spending which for me is good business sense.
My response was to Denny sorry. What I would say is a pension fund isn't as badly hit as other owners/business in hard times, yes the overall fund value is impacted but they are never viewed in a short term period - but the pot is still being paid into, i.e its still got 'customers' buying the product.

You quote "Personally I think we can spend what we want subject to rules but KM was astute enough to get some decent signings in without spending which for me is good business sense." is absolutely bang on in my view - we are spending but as its not silly play money we are still being sensible and giving it a business approach - rather than the approach of a rich owner using it as a play thing.

Basically the owners want to invest but do it wisely as they would with any other business, and hopefully growth the business (club) and increase its value, no point wasting money or over-paying etc.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Jul 05, 2022 2:48 pm

Exactly that

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Jul 05, 2022 2:48 pm

rossi wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 2:30 pm
so that will be one of the 2 further additions I was expecting, and this guy would seem to fulfill the LB/LWB position.

One signing to come then - a striker. I'm waiting to see who we get with bated breath, and nobody bates their breath better than I do because I am a master bater.
Yep could be a good addition if it comes off, seems very versatile

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:55 am

Town already have a significant transfer war chest this summer following last year’s takeover and, as reported earlier in the week, have lodged a £1 million bid with Leeds for left-back Leif Davis.

We understand Leicester striker George Hirst, who we revealed in May was among the frontmen interesting the Blues, is now very much a firm target.
I think this puts to bed any notion we can't spend.

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:11 pm

Just looking on fans forum ref Davis, he is down to be part of their pre-season trip to Oz which I believe starts on July 14th so we should know soon whats happening if rumours are to be correct....

https://www.motforum.com/phpbb/viewtopi ... is#p978381

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Jul 07, 2022 4:12 pm

Yes that is interesting, as you say we'll know soon enough.

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Fri Jul 08, 2022 1:44 pm

Just seen rumours we have had a bid rejected for Hirst, unsure if this is a def, does sound possible seeing we need a bit more firepower up front.

Cowley at Pompey seems to think he will be coming back to them, but expect thats him flapping his mouth off again. If this is the caliber of striker we are after who else would be in the frame if this did not materialize? Does sound we are going for a quality player.

rossi

Post by rossi » Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:07 pm

Dazzz67 wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 1:44 pm
Just seen rumours we have had a bid rejected for Hirst, unsure if this is a def, does sound possible seeing we need a bit more firepower up front.

Cowley at Pompey seems to think he will be coming back to them, but expect thats him flapping his mouth off again. If this is the caliber of striker we are after who else would be in the frame if this did not materialize? Does sound we are going for a quality player.
and God knows we need one, because the striking options we have at the moment do not inspire confidence in any way shape or form.

shabba

Post by shabba » Fri Jul 08, 2022 3:54 pm

Interesting one, we have often been linked with him. I believe he had a slow start at Pompy but then started to do well during the end of the loan.

If championship clubs are circling then that is maybe a good sign? He certainly seems to fit the profile we seem to be targeting so I'd expect there is truth behind this.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Jul 08, 2022 5:49 pm

I'm sure we will have other targets should Hirst not come off.

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:57 pm

Elkan Baggott has joined League Two side Gillingham on a season-long loan.

The defender, who penned a new three-year deal at Town last month, will spend the 2022/23 campaign in Kent with the aim of picking up regular minutes with Neil Harris’ side.

I thought he might be close to getting into the first team but I'm sure a season under Harris will be good for him.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Jul 08, 2022 11:49 pm

I personally think that's a mistake, I feel he us competent enough to challenge for the first team.

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Sat Jul 09, 2022 6:28 am

Go to agree on this being a strange choice to let Elkan go out on loan.

I imagine we'll keep to three at the back so will need cover and Elkan really has come on a treat. Not sure if there's a clause we can bring him back if needed. I really hope so

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Jul 09, 2022 8:09 am

You can't have a recall clause on a season long loan.

shabba

Post by shabba » Sat Jul 09, 2022 8:21 am

I feel it’s the right move, Ndaba had done his loan time and deserved his chance - now Baggot needs to do the same and go get regular starts.

Too much traffic in his way at present.

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Sat Jul 09, 2022 9:18 am

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Jul 09, 2022 8:09 am
You can't have a recall clause on a season long loan.
Can have in January

rossi

Post by rossi » Sat Jul 09, 2022 9:53 am

IMO its a terrible move, and only strengthens my belief that KM seems unwilling to give young players a chance.

My prediction - Baggot will have a wonderful season at Gillingham and make such a name for himself that this time next year there will be a plethora of bigger clubs after him and he will decide he wants to join a club that is actually interested in him.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Jul 09, 2022 9:58 am

Steve and Jo wrote:
Sat Jul 09, 2022 6:28 am
Go to agree on this being a strange choice to let Elkan go out on loan.

I imagine we'll keep to three at the back so will need cover and Elkan really has come on a treat. Not sure if there's a clause we can bring him back if needed. I really hope so
He's only played 2 senior games, though. We're pretty strong at LCB - hes likely to be 4th choice behind Edmundson, Burgess and Ndaba for one position so loan deal makes sense and more opportunity to play men's football. If he can't get in the Gillingham team - then it would say something to how good he is.
Think we're more likely to gain more from getting him experience elsewhere than what he can offer here at the moment. We could always bring him back in January if he's performing well and we're stretched.
I think if he stayed here - he'd be unlikely to get much game time next season.

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Sat Jul 09, 2022 10:35 am

Just an aside on Elkan…

My wife and I took a little trip to Bali recently. Quite usual to chat to cab drivers etc in SE Asia about football - they all love the EPL and all the big teams and players , although they’ve never heard of Ipswich. Anyway, I thought, ah this is Indonesia, they’ll all be big Baggot followers, I’ll be able to chat with them about his chances of breaking into the first team this year etc. Nope, not a sausage, none of them had heard of him, even after I showed them pictures. So this massive in Indo thing might be a little exaggerated…