League 1 - Forest Green Rovers vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

An early away game win?

FGR Win
No votes
Town Win
80%
Draw
20%

Total votes: 20

Frosty
Forum Owner

League 1 - Forest Green Rovers vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Frosty » Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:46 am

Image Forest Green Rovers v Ipswich TownImage

Saturday 6th August 2022 – 15:00

The New Lawn

Mike’s weekly comments

So we are up and running on another season of League One Football, the build up and interest around the Town was clear for everyone to see, nearly 27K tickets sold and a packed out Portman Road is testament as to how much this new look Town team has captured the imagination of Tractor Boys & Girls for the season ahead, a season that many hope and indeed expect to end in success, the belief is there that Kieran McKenna can succeed where several others have failed and deliver Championship Football once more.

The team that took to the field for Saturday's opener against a very difficult Bolton Wanderers side included a few new faces following the close season Transfer dealings, Harness, Ladapo, Davis, Leigh and TJJ all getting some game time on the opening day. Of course the script might have been written but there are Two teams out there and One of those teams were hell bent on ripping up the script and spoiling what was mean't to be our day.

I think the level of pressure and expectation was never more evident than in those opening Twenty Minutes when Town failed to impose themselves on the game, in fact it was Bolton who took the game by the scruff of the neck, snapping into tackles, closing Town players down and generally running the Midfield which of course is so pivotal to how the flow of a game goes. Unsurprisingly it was Bolton who got themselves ahead from the penalty spot following so poor Town defending, One of those new boys, Leif Davis, getting caught out as they burst into the box, leaving his foot out it may have looked a tad soft but a penalty it was and Portman Road was silenced as Morley converted the spot kick with aplomb.

Strangely enough it was Town who seemed galvanised by the goal as we started to impose ourselves more, our passing suddenly became crisper and with Morsy now getting a grip of Midfield and driving us forward we started to look a threat. Up front Ladapo was proving to be a bit of a handful for the Trotters defence, Chaplin had a real chance to get us back on level terms and but for a superb block by a Bolton defender he probably would have, however from the corner Town were not to be denied as a training ground move worked a tee, Chaplin cut the ball back to the edge of the box where the willing Lee Evans was on hand to fire home, the Town players celebrated as Portman Road erupted, with Town back on level terms it was very much game on, only now it felt far more positive with Town in the ascendancy. Ladapo had a chance to fire Town ahead but his effort was blocked, Town were finishing the half on top but could not find the second goal so the teams left the field with the score all square and with everything very much to play for.

Town came out the blocks much faster after the break and continued where they had left off, Evans had Two chances to add to his goal, the first easily blocked and the second a header across goal which looked to be dropping in was clawed away by the Bolton keeper. At the other end there was a scare for Town when Edmundson got himself in a mess and almost gifted them a clear chance but fortunately redeemed himself in the nick of time. Just after that KM brought on TJJ and Grant Leigh and boy did those two have an impact on the game, TJJwas proving to be a real handful much to the delight of the Town faithful, while Leigh was quickly into his stride too with a crucial defensive header to cut out a moment of danger before firing wide at the other end from a difficult chance.

It was all Town the longer the game went on Wes Burns and TJJ having a couple of chances each but the elusive second goal just would not come. With time running out it was Wes Burns who burst clear before delivering a perfect cross for Morsy to win the game but from a brilliant position the skipper drew a save form the keeper when it looked easier to score, it was a golden chance to deservedly win the game but alas it was not to be.

All in all I think the vast majority appear happy despite failing to grab all Three points, after a slow start Town played some good stuff and dominated for a good hour, the stats make impressive reading as did the quality of some of the play while nobody can complain about the entertainment on offer, that said Town's manager and players know only too well that when on top and creating chances we have to score more than One goal, that is something I expect to be addressed before to long with possibly another Striker arriving through the door. I felt Sam Morsy was inspirational while TJJ also looked a real handful, Greig Leigh came on and impressed while Freddie Ladapo will score goals with his physical presence up front. Harness will no doubt have better days was was tidy while he was on the field and time is needed for Leif Davis to find his feet, as opening days go it was far from a disaster against a fellow promotion contender.

What Town must not do is fall too far behind early in the season and for that reason this Saturday's trip to Forest Green Rovers is a game which really should be looking to pick up Three points from, having gained promotion last season the Rovers will be finding their feet at this level and the budgets of the two sides are vast, that said they started off their campaign with a decent away win at fellow promotion winners Bristol Rovers so will be full of confidence.

I think there may be a couple of changes to the Town starting line up as KM tinkers around with the team until he finds his favoured Eleven, I get the feeling playing away from home will suit Town more than being at home this campaign as the onus is more on home teams to come out and play, that should suit us down to the ground and I can see Town bringing home the points from their first trip on the road. Away win for me by a 2-0 scoreline. COYB'S

The Opposition – Forest Green Rovers Honours

League Two

Champions: 2021–22

National League

Play-off winners: 2016–17

Southern League

Premier Division Champions: 1997–98
Southern Division Champions: 1996–97

FA Vase

Winners: 1981–82

Hellenic League

Champions: 1981–82

Gloucestershire Northern Senior League

Champions: 1937–38, 1949–50, 1950–51
Division Two Champions: 1955–56

The Manager – Ian Burchnall

League Table

Form Guide

Forest Green Rovers

30 Jul Bristol Rovers 1 - 2 Forest Green

Ipswich Town

30 Jul Ipswich Town 1 - 1 Bolton

Match Referee – Craig Hicks

FOREST GREEN ROVERS 0 IPSWICH TOWN 2

Dazzz67

Re: League 1 - Forest Green Rovers vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Dazzz67 » Wed Aug 03, 2022 8:20 am

I would not bank on this being an easy ride, they are the new boys but no pushovers, they will be at home and will be a tough one.

Saying that I can still see us winning, going for 2 - 1 to us.

Also bit miffed cannot get a ticket, one of the closest grounds too me and would of gone, thats life eh.

COYB!!

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:11 am

Will be making the trip to Gloucestershire. Even though it is only the 2nd game of the season think it is important that we get a positive result. This game reminds me of the beginning of last season when we went to Cheltenham and the majority of us thought we would come away with the 3 points. Went 1-0 up, were well on top and Bonne then managed to miss a chance when it seemed impossible not to score. 2nd half we started to drop deeper and deeper and of course ended up losing 2-1.
Really can’t afford to fall too far behind the leading pack early in the season like we did last year so our attitude needs to be spot on in this game. I think and hope it will be so will go for a Town win. If we don’t it will seem a bloody long and miserable drive home.
FGR 1 Town 3

shabba

Post by shabba » Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:59 am

Spot on comments by all!

Daz can you get a home ticket? Not ideal but still be there then?

Agree they had a good first result and are at home and it'll be a cup final for then, but we just need to match the intensity of that 2nd half performance vs bolton and we will wear teams down.

Selection is tricky, my head says bring in Aluko for Harness and Leah for Davies as both made us alot better vs Bolton, however do you risk having those players heads drop and getting into that Joe Piggott situation all over again? (i.e new signings not getting a run of games to settle into the team and get confidence up). I suspect KM will stick with the same XI but make similar changes at similar times to Bolton if required.

Aluko and Morsey are the only players we have who can put their foot on the ball, take it in tight space and make the right little passes between the lines, they both did that so well last weekend.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:45 am

Well this lot won’t be a pushover . I’m going for a draw . Disappointing I know, but it wouldn’t surprise me .

1-1

LizinSpain

Post by LizinSpain » Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:32 pm

Not going to as easy as some people are saying on social media but I still think we'll win. 1-3 I reckon but then I'm always a glass half full kinda tractorgirl :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:19 pm

Possibly the worst time we could be playing FGR in truth! Their first home game in L1 and they will be really up for this and see us as a huge scalp. If we are not on it from the first to the last minute, i fear a draw.

As others alluded to, we possibly were "too big for our boots" when playing Cheltenham at this stage last year, and look what happened there! If our players think we are good enough to win by just turning up, then we are in trouble. That said, I believe the quality of our defense alone should keep them out, therefore I am going for a hard fought 0-1 away win for Town!

As for the starting line up, I would keep with the same team that started against Bolton! Build player relationships and understanding! Make no mistake FGR will be chasing everything down, and while they can make just as many substitutions to replace weary legs, they (and many L1 sides) do not have the devastating quality, pace and energy levels that we had on our bench on Saturday. To see Jackson, who really gave the Bolton back line something different to think about, Leigh, TJJ and the mercurial Aluko all coming on would be the stuff of nightmares for many defenses
Last edited by AzzurroMark on Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:28 pm

I can't be doing with another season of excuses week after week, if we are serious about achieving something we need to be winning this type of game, a draw against Bolton I can accept, not here.

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:40 pm

Shabba, yes I could get one I suppose but tbh not sure I fancy it, and with a Essex accent think I may get sussed.

Did that once with a couple of Cardiff lads I know, sat in with the home crowd at Ninian, its bloody hard to keep quiet when we won 1 - 0 lol. The lads were decent to me though and no hard grudges.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:09 pm

They’ve just signed Conor Wickham …. Well we know what’s coming now then, don’t we !!

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:31 pm

Just to keep these “ easy” fixtures in perspective . These were last season 3 pts dead cert games lol!

Last season Town suffered away defeats at Burton (1-2), Cheltenham (1-2) and Accrington (1-2), and draws at Cambridge (2-2, after being two up), Morecambe (1-1), Shrewsbury (1-1) and Crewe (1-1). That's four points out of a possible 21 against teams on their own patch who finished in the bottom half of League One come the final countdown.

MasseyFerguson

Post by MasseyFerguson » Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:39 pm

AzzurroMark wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:19 pm
Possibly the worst time we could be playing FGR in truth! Their first home game in L1 and they will be really up for this and see us as a huge scalp. If we are not on it from the first to the last minute, i fear a draw.

As others alluded to, we possibly were "too big for our boots" when playing Cheltenham at this stage last year, and look what happened there! If our players think we are good enough to win by just turning up, then we are in trouble. That said, I believe the quality of our defense alone should keep them out, therefore I am going for a hard fought 0-1 away win for Town!

As for the starting line up, I would keep with the same team that started against Bolton! Build player relationships and understanding! Make no mistake FGR will be chasing everything down, and while they can make just as many substitutions to replace weary legs, they (and many L1 sides) do not have the devastating quality, pace and energy levels that we had on our bench on Saturday. To see Jackson, who really gave the Bolton back line something different to think about, Leigh, TJJ and the mercurial Aluko all coming on would be the stuff of nightmares for many defenses

I agree with all of that, including the hard fought 0-1 Win.

shabba

Post by shabba » Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:00 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:31 pm
Just to keep these “ easy” fixtures in perspective . These were last season 3 pts dead cert games lol!

Last season Town suffered away defeats at Burton (1-2), Cheltenham (1-2) and Accrington (1-2), and draws at Cambridge (2-2, after being two up), Morecambe (1-1), Shrewsbury (1-1) and Crewe (1-1). That's four points out of a possible 21 against teams on their own patch who finished in the bottom half of League One come the final countdown.
How many were under KM to be fair though? We are very different under KM vs Cook. (alot tigther, alot more of a plan and set patterns of play, but frustratingly a bit lacking in goals sometimes).

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Wed Aug 03, 2022 11:20 pm

Without appearing anything other than impartial it would be great to see them in a higher league. You can almost picture Forest Green trying out in the Championship division or even an outside chance at EPL status. Encouraging to see small club names like that make good.

Voted for us to win, we sometimes perform on the road and away from Portman Road and the opportunity is there to gain first win of the season if only second game in. Some will have a meltdown if we don't get three points from it but they're a good enough side and will want to put on a show in front of their own support. Just imagine collectively we possess better players and stronger in probably every area of the field, but these things are always subject to change.

FGR 1 ITFC 3

Denny61

Post by Denny61 » Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:47 pm

If we can't thump the likes of forest green. Something is wrong....we had 17 shots against Bolton 5 on target and their keeper was excellent...we need to hit them hard in first 20 minutes. With at least 2 goals..and that will open them up ..they will want to play so and all or nothing. Thus creating spaces for our free flowing footie ..if its 0.0 at half time. They will park.the bus then as a point for them against us would be a major result. Plus getting 4 points from two games Saturday has to be the day we make a statement in this hell of a league we should not be in ..

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:53 pm

Here here, I'm not even bothered if it's not a thumping, it just needs to be a win, what happened last season is irrelevant, this season needs to be a different animal against the lesser sides.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:57 pm

How do we manage so often to play a team where an ex Town player is either making a debut or has recently joined them. This weekend it’s Conor Wickham, unbelievable.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Aug 04, 2022 3:00 pm

I'm not sure he'll even play but if he does he's hardly a David Nugent so we should still be well capable of a positive result. I see Dom Ball is missing again but hopefully play a part Tuesday against Colchester.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:12 pm

shabba wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:00 pm
hallamblue wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 7:31 pm

How many were under KM to be fair though? We are very different under KM vs Cook. (alot tigther, alot more of a plan and set patterns of play, but frustratingly a bit lacking in goals sometimes).
Tbh I suspect many of those results would still have been the same under KM. The squad was brand new . Most didn’t even know their team mates names . All were living out of hotel rooms and adjusting to a new club.

My point really is, yes we should win Saturday, but we’d be foolish to take anything for granted .

There are no pushovers teams in this division as we will no doubt be finding out. And every game will someone’s “cup final”, and they’ll find that extra yard against us. Our players will have to manage that level of competitiveness in every game. Treat teams with respect and we’ll be half way there 👍

shabba

Post by shabba » Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:24 pm

I do see that view but also….

- none of their players would make our XI
- this is the highest level they have ever played at, we have to beat these teams if we want a good season

shabba

Post by shabba » Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:12 pm

Another random side note! So at the Bolton game last week the players were doing some finishing practice during the warm up, I was in the Magnus stand and it was right down below us.

Most of the players were pretty bad, missing or having their shots saved. Ladapo pretty much scored every time, so I do think with the right service he could be lethal for us. I know its a small sample size but myself and my dad both noticed this and were impressed.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:14 pm

Have a look at Chaplin’s comments here regarding FG tomorrow and our approach for the coming season ….

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-to ... ew-9192446

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:49 pm

I think so too, he looks very sharp and strong in and around the box

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:36 pm

Some need to keep in mind or recall our record against smaller club names / opponents you'd imagine we will or should beat is poor, at least in recent years. You can reel off a half-dozen instances from last decade in standout games i.e. cup competition where we were expected to glide through and saw a defeat or took nothing from it. Failing to get past Lincoln in two games when we were Championship and they non-league when McCarthy was in place here being one such example.

If, and I hope it doesn't come to it, we fail again and some small (but respected) club name should take victory over us, it won't be that much of a surprise. Bottom line here we often struggle against lesser teams irrespective of league difference or who's coaching the team. Taking tomorrow's game with a touch of caution but quietly confident (in that) we possess greater ability than them to get a win. Even at such an early stage of a new season two games without victory would be tough for some to take, such are the expectations many have placed on the team.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:12 pm

Of course this is a game we have to win if we have any serious ambition of winning promotion, however I don’t expect it to come easy in front of a potentially record attendance at Forest Green.

lucy

Post by lucy » Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:18 pm

FOREST GREEN ROVERS: McGee, O'Keeffe, Cargill, Stevenson, Hendry, Matt, Moore-Taylor, McAllister, Godwin-Malife, Davis, Brown

Subs: Thomas, Bernard, Casey, Little, Robertson, Bunker, March.

IPSWICH TOWN: Walton; Donacien, Edmundson, Burgess; Burns, Evans, Morsy, Davis, Chaplin, Harness, Ladapo.

Subs: Hladky, Leigh, Vincent-Young, Aluko, Edwards, John-Jules, Jackson.

lucy

Post by lucy » Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:22 pm

For the Blues... Luke Woolfenden and Rekeem Harper miss out through illness, otherwise it's pretty well the same team as versus Bolton with just Burgess coming in for Woolfenden.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:39 pm

Hopefully it’s a good enough side to get the job done. All tuned into ifollow, just waiting for commentary.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:57 pm

Blimey, I’ve played in bigger stadiums than Forest Green, it looks like Village League !

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Aug 06, 2022 3:06 pm

BlueBalls wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:46 pm
Charnwood wrote:
Sat Aug 06, 2022 2:39 pm
Hopefully it’s a good enough side to get the job done. All tuned into ifollow, just waiting for commentary.
Same, went for the season pass in the end. I just won't eat this week to cover it.
I went for PAYG in the end only because we’re away most of November and all of December.