League 1 - Burton Albion vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

A god chance for a further 3 points?

Burton Win
No votes
Ipswich Win
83%
Draw
17%

Total votes: 18

hallamblue

Re: League 1 - Burton Albion vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by hallamblue » Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:04 pm

I’m not sure how we got 3pts tbh. A lot of questions asked of our two CB’s and we got away with one or two things tonight . But Town last season and previous seasons would have folded completely, so we’ll fine to all of them tonight. A real “ team” performance.

Walton once again the difference. And Burton did a number on us frankly, not allowing us to play our “ nice” football .

What I want to know is how many other sides will play like this against us, coz it’s going to ge a long season lol. !!!

“ TOP O THE LEAGUE” 👍

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:18 pm

ashfordblue wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:00 pm
We should soon get Keogh in defense to stop the sloppiness. I cannot for the life of me see what KM sees in Jackson ship him out on loan but try to get Hirst from Leicester, this is the time to build a strong front and back line
I was wondering when you’d post again. Hope all is well? Not sure I’d want Hirst to be honest. Where are we on the loan situation? Can we bring in another loan?…preferably a striker? A consistent goal scoring striker will make us unbeatable in my opinion. Agree on Jackson, never rated him.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:21 pm

👍👌👏👏👏👏

Sounds like storm weathering waz ‘appenin’, …. The mark of champions. Well done, ITFC. Nice away win.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:33 pm

If we are going to get promotion then these are just the type of games we are going to need to win. It was always going to be a physical battle and as has already been said too often in the past we have shown to be a soft touch in these type of matches. Agree with the comments about both Woolfie and Edmundson being off their game tonight and I was actually calling for Burgess to come on earlier as we were struggling with the aerial battles at times.
Anyhow, been to both away fixtures so far and seen two wins so can’t complain. Just glad I haven’t got to drive back home tonight as staying up here.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:36 pm

ashfordblue wrote:
We should soon get Keogh in defense to stop the sloppiness. I cannot for the life of me see what KM sees in Jackson ship him out on loan but try to get Hirst from Leicester, this is the time to build a strong front and back line
Are. You for real ? Jackson had an excellent second half

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:42 pm

Well we made hard work of that. Almost allmof out issues were created by ourselves and why after all these years we seem unable to defend a long throw is beyond me! Tonight - whoever or whatever you believe in, thank them for Christian Walton...👍

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:20 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:36 pm
ashfordblue wrote:
Are. You for real ? Jackson had an excellent second half

I'm not a Jackson fan but agree, he worked his socks off in defence and up front second half.

Denny61

Post by Denny61 » Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:56 pm

What we actually need is a big centre for crosses and corners and a proven striker then we are suckin diesel

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:57 am

maybe we were a little fortunate to win. Burton on tonight's evidence don't appear to be as bad as their league status would indicate.

They made a game of it, could have taken share of points, bottom line the score could have gone either way from all reports. There are, or will be, no easy fixtures in this league, irrespective of where the opponents are placed at.

Three wins, one draw, out of four, you can't ask for much more. Few would have expected the start we made even if it's such a short time in. Got foundation now to build on this advantage and try to break clear of the top six going into the fall and winter months.

McKenna and Walton, up for argument, but could be the most pivotal names at the club right now. Without both the team would not have accomplished what it has, if only once again, it's a handful of games in if that (or the time they've been involved)

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:21 am

Our CB's were lucky tonight, sloppy passing could of undone us, Edmundson is a bit of a donkey at times but he is trying. Think the wet surface caught them out on a couple of occasions. Id get Keogh in to steady them, Leigh and Donacien were great. Walton was excellent as ever and the dimwit who lobbed a coin at him need his knackers chopping, he wouldn't feel much as there is obviously not a lot going on up top.

Midfield was fair, Morsy steady and Evans doing ok tbh. Jackson struggled first half on the right and we missed Burns, but 2nd half he worked hard and was a real asset, covering back in defence at times which I liked. Looking forward to Ball being back to see what he can add.

Harness deserved his goal, worked hard and was a real threat. Feel sorry for Ladapo, was chasing all the time and if only had his first touch been better on that through ball by Jules (I think) he would of scored, it will happen soon though.

Chaplin the terrier came on and made an impact, turned one of their players lovely lol.

Overall a hard game but they boys got the win they deserved.

rossi

Post by rossi » Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:30 am

I think that last season we would definitely not have hung on to win games like this (well actually, we didn't), so it's good to see that we have improved on that thus far. Long may it continue.

Very interesting to read people's opinions on various players, I have the following observations after the opening 4 games.................

1) If KVY could get a bit stronger and a better final ball, he would be my first choice RWB - he's quicker and a better defender than WB
2) I know that Jackson has put in a tremendous work rate when he's played, but a lot of that has been running around like a headless chicken. His primary function is to score goals, and he's not very good at that - certainly not good enough for what we need
3) Ladapo - another one who puts in a shift, but wins very little in the air and has had more than enough chances to put the ball away but has failed to do so. Not the striker we need, I'd rather see John-Jules starting until we can get a proven striker
4) Evans - worries me, every time he gets the ball he seems intent on slowing the game down and more often than not uses the ball negatively. I'm hoping that Ball will be more positive and move the ball quicker, although at the moment he seems a bit of a sick note to me so I'm not holding my breath
5) Defence looks ropey, Donacien is a given for me and Woolfy is still young and will continue to improve, but I worry about Edmundson and would replace him with Keogh
6) Biggest conundrum for me is Chaplin or Aluko. Different qualities - Chaplin a much better goal-scorer, Aluko sees and delivers through balls that Chaplin could only dream of. Seems that they are competing for the same position in the team, but I would be tempted to play both of them for a game or 2 to see who comes out top

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:52 am

I do think Ladapo will come good Gary, yes he's had a tough start and missed a couple that he should have done better with but I'm convinced it will turn for him. I don't see him as the number One striker though and in that respect we still need another body in the club before deadline day.

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:12 am

I like Aluko too but when Chaplin came on, it changed the game for us in my view. We are so lucky to have the option to interchange them. Jackson was poor first but good second half, albeit in a less advanced role. I am not sure why KM decided on Jackson over Chaplin after saturday as Chaplin appeared excellent then. May be something to do with positional change as well as keeping fresh. Again, these are all first world problems as I am sure most of the division would love to have that impact off the bench. I stayed at the same hotel as the team yesterday and during the afternoon they were circulating and seemed very relaxed. Interestingly, the stuff around the edges was great to watch as there were clearly fitness coaches and tacticians talking about how to get them focused and training ideas and people to do all of the fringe stuff (ie bags, bus, bill paying etc) for the team so they could just focus on playing football. Looked very slick and professional. Again, something you would expect of a prem set up but not so much in League 1. Seems we are setting good habits early so bodes well!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:08 pm

I think the club in general under Ashton is 100 times more professional than its ever been.

For me Chaplin is the best footballer at the club and should always start.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:47 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:08 pm
I think the club in general under Ashton is 100 times more professional than its ever been.

For me Chaplin is the best footballer at the club and should always start.
Certainly his goal scoring contribution is significantly more than Aluko, I think both players have similar career goals to their name with Chaplin having made circa 200 fewer appearances. Chaplin also gives the ball away much less than Aluko who in my opinion offers much more coming on from the bench given his versatility to play in many positions.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:52 pm

Any news on why Wes Burns wasn’t included in the squad at Burton. It just seems strange that he wasn’t involved after being included in the EFL League 1 team of the week following his fab display on Saturday v MK Dons. Have I missed something or was him simply rested against the team bottom of the table ?

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:10 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:52 pm
Any news on why Wes Burns wasn’t included in the squad at Burton. It just seems strange that he wasn’t involved after being included in the EFL League 1 team of the week following his fab display on Saturday v MK Dons. Have I missed something or was him simply rested against the team bottom of the table ?
Charny
According to McKenna he has a slight groin strain. He might be back for the Shrewsbury game although too early to say yet.

shabba

Post by shabba » Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:18 pm

Watched the game, my notes are:

- Tough game first half, burton had a game plan and we struggled a bit/rode our luck, but dealt with it better than last season. Once we got hold of the ball and got it on the deck during the last 15mins or the 1st half we looked good and were passing it around nicely.

- The manager clearly got into the tactics at half time, we stayed wider and it really opened up space - and we took control pretty much, some lovely crisp passing, good football etc just lacked a little in the final third (how many times have we said that).

- A big test and last year we lose/draw that game, so well done the lads.

Notes on players:

- Walton was superb, not just his saves but his distribution was really impressive last night. Great to see us not only getting players to play well but also improving them!

- Wooflie and Edmundson were a bit shaky, a few errors etc.

- Greg Leigh was solid enough and full of energy, great option to have!

- Harness gets better, sharper and more linked with play, quite similar to Chaplin in that he isn't a silky player like Aluko but he is lively/busy and causes problems.

- Ladapo did well, run alot and kept their defenders busy, but missed a golden chance with a bad first touch.

- Jackson, once he stayed wide right he really did a good job, hurt them with his pace and stretched their back line, probably went un-noticed but he did well.

- TJJ looked fairly lively when he came on, and that through ball was lovely. Suspect he will grow into the season.

Overall I was very pleased, we are a tougher team than last season and stand up to things better, plus we are better and switching tactic a little to get our game going then we are very hard to handle. Really promising that we can go and get points away at tough places where they just bombard you and try and stop you playing.

Maybe we do still need a big striker who can do 'plan B' to give us an option of putting balls into the box/corner threat etc, but overall I'm please with the squad - I'd say most of our subs get into alot of the teams in league one.