League 1 - Shrewsbury Town vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Can we make it 4 in a row?

Shrewsbury Town win
No votes
Ipswich Town Win
72%
Draw
28%

Total votes: 18

Frosty
Forum Owner

League 1 - Shrewsbury Town vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Frosty » Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:16 pm

Image Shrewsbury Town vs Ipswich TownImage

Saturday 20th August 2022 – 15:00

New Meadow

Mike’s Weekly Comments

Successful teams are the ones that know how to grind out results when up against it, they are the teams who learn to adapt best in adverse situations, most importantly they are the teams that win games when not playing at their best and all Three of those scenarios sum up perfectly Town's win at Burton Albion on Tuesday night. From the off Town had their backs to the wall as the Brewers peppered out box with long balls, goal kicks, Free kicks, corners and long throws, you name it it came our way and despite so scary moments the excellent Christian Walton and his defence stood firm although it has to be said we were often the architects of our own troubles with sloppy passes, hesitant defending and general over casual play often putting us in danger.

Let's be clear about things though it was far from One way traffic and when Town did attack they looked very dangerous indeed with Harness, Ladapo, Jackson and co causing the Burton defence plenty of trouble, I think it is true to say that as Ian Westlake stated in commentary there was only One team trying to play Football, and that was us. With the gaffer making some changes it gave others a chance to stake a claim and Jackson, Aluko and Leigh all did their chances no harm at all, it shows what strength in depth we have at the club now and nobody can let their performance levels slip.

One area of the game that did concern me was this playing out from the back thing, as pleasing on the eye as it is there is no doubt in my mind that Luke Woolfenden and more so George Edmundson sometimes look like ducks out of water as it was these Two that were often all at sea, credit to kieran Mckenna though, he has a style of play that he believes in and he sticks rigidly to it, I just feel that on another day against better teams we may well be punished for the sloppiness that creeps in to our game, hopefully though the more we play it the more comfortable we will get.

There was a lot of talk about how we would miss Bersant Celina and how we may rue letting Joe Pigott go out on loan, well so far neither could be further from the truth, Pigott is still yet to get a league goal, or indeed start many games, while Celina continues to play in front of a hundred or so fans, we on the other hand have Marcus Harness on Three goals for the season already and while Tuesday evening was his least effective game he has really impressed me with many aspects of his game, I just dont think the Two we let go would have anywhere near the work ethic or eye for goal Harness has.

Special mention must go to Christian Walton who pulled off a couple of stunning saves when we were up against it, he really is a class act at this level and will save us a good few points in the coming months, his contribution cannot be underestimated and gave us the springboard to go on and claim the win, a win which sees us stay top of the table and even puts us out by ourselves on Ten points, still ridiculously early days but lovely to see all the same.

our second game of the week is also on our travels as we make another lengthy trip to Shropshire where Shrewsbury Town await. once again this is a game we should enter into with relish as they are expected to be among the sides in the lower reaches of League One this season, they have had a steady if unspectacular start to the season and currently sit in Sixteenth place and Five points, they have only lost One of their opening Four games however and that was to Accrington Stanley at home, last Saturday saw the Shrews pick up a very good win at Wycombe and they followed this up with a midweek stalemate at home to Derby county so they are capable.

I just think town are c*ck-a-hoop right now and confidence is high which is why I see our Third away win of the season on the horizon here, playing away is going to suit us more this campaign as teams are expected to play a bit more being at home and I can see Town having to much for Shrewsbury in an attacking sense, so it's another Town away day win for me, as long as we can eradicate the odd sloppy moment at the back and keep things tight. "Top of the League at Portman Road" COYB'S

The Opposition – Shrewsbury Town Honours

League

Football League Third Division / EFL League One

Champions (1): 1978–79
Play-off Finalists (1): 2018

Third Division / Fourth Division / League Two

Champions (1): 1993–94
Runners-up (3): 1974–75, 2011–12, 2014–15
Promotion (1): 1958–59
Play-off Finalists (2): 2007, 2009

Football Conference

Play-off winners (1): 2004

Cups

Football League Trophy

Runners-up (2): 1995–96, 2017–18

Welsh Cup

Winners (6): 1890–91, 1937–38, 1976–77, 1978–79, 1983–84, 1984–85
Runners-up (3): 1930–31, 1947–48, 1979–80

The Manager – Steve Cotterill

League Table

Form Guide

Shrewsbury Town

30 Jul Morecambe 0 - 0 Shrewsbury

6 Aug Shrewsbury 0 - 1 Accrington

13 Aug Wycombe 1 - 2 Shrewsbury

16 Aug Shrewsbury 0 - 0 Derby County

Ipswich Town

30 Jul Ipswich Town 1 - 1 Bolton

6 Aug Forest Green 1 - 2 Ipswich Town

13 Aug Ipswich Town 3 - 0 Milton Keynes

16 Aug Burton Albion 0 - 1 Ipswich Town

Head to Head

Match Referee – Will Finnie

SHREWSBURY TOWN 1 IPSWICH TOWN 2

shabba

Re: League 1 - Shrewsbury Town vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by shabba » Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:34 am

Tough game again, there recent results makes them look fairly solid. Might go for a 0-0 or 1-1.

Likely to see Davies back in, hopefully Burns but if not then it will be interesting if he goes with Jackson again or maybe KVY, or even Edwards.

Chaplin will also come back in for Aluko I suspect. I'd stick with Ladapo up top, as we either need Jackon wide to stretch the pitch or bring him on later to use his pace against a tired defense.
No Tuesday game so likely KM will go strong as possible here.

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:49 pm

Second away game in a week, will not be easy but a sign of a good team would be could win this.

We have always struggled against Shrewsbury, I do not think they will beat us but im expecting a draw, as they managed against Derby the other day.

ITFC 1 - Shrews 1

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Thu Aug 18, 2022 3:22 pm

Looks like it will be a late call on Ball & Burns according to the ITFC site
Updates on Blues trio from the boss

Town will have to make late calls on the fitness of both Dom Ball and Wes Burns ahead of Saturday's away fixture at Shrewsbury, Kieran McKenna has confirmed.

Dom is yet to make his competitive debut for the Club but completed a full session with the squad earlier today, while Wes was absent from Tuesday night's victory at Burton after picking up a minor injury ahead of the previous weekend's MK Dons success.

The Blues' boss also says that Richard Keogh will be in line for some match action in the next few weeks having already contributed significantly in training.
Always seems to be a tough place to go, but I predict another narrow away victory 0-1!
Last edited by AzzurroMark on Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:32 pm

Won't be easy or as straight forward as some would imagine. We got lucky in some games so far, got a result we maybe didn't deserve. Lot of things point to a draw.

Depends what formation McKenna goes with on the day and what set of players want it more. One point each. at least the unbeaten start remains intact.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:46 pm

Think this will be a difficult game. For some reason we seem to have struggled against Shrewsbury in the past, whether it be at Gay Meadow or their current ground. Even remember us getting knocked out of the FA Cup by them when SBR was in charge. Think this one will end up in a draw which would mean that we would have taken 4 points out of 6 from the 2 away games which is still a good return.

Shrewsbury 1 Town 1

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Aug 18, 2022 6:03 pm

Yes, nice write up and agree with last paragraph. Confidence within the team growing with getting wins when sometimes up against it.
Fancy another storm weathering performance and a 2-0 away win.

Cotterill caption.

His assistant: “Hey Steve, thats Mark Ashton on the phone. He’s asking if you can pay the bus diesel?”
Steve: (picture)

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Aug 18, 2022 6:47 pm

Draw 1-1

patthegimp

Post by patthegimp » Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:32 pm

4-1 Town. If we get one early it will be a slaughter😁😁

Denny61

Post by Denny61 » Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:58 pm

Nill all but il take a point.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:46 pm

Shrewsbury have failed to score in 3 of their opening 4 games which should provide a realistic target for our defenders and give a realistic boost to our chances of picking up all 3 points. Accrington Stanley managed to come away with a 0-1 win on the opening day of the season, that shouldn’t be beyond us.

0-1 Town for me.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Aug 19, 2022 3:46 pm

Its a win for me, I don't see them being good enough tbh, in Forest Green and Burton you expect a tough battle, I don't see Shrewsbury in the same mould.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Aug 19, 2022 6:02 pm

It’ll be good after the promotion so that names like Accrington Stanley, Burton & Forest Green can GTF out of the conversation.

I know…….. something about “divine” and all that pish. 🤦‍♂️

LizinSpain

Post by LizinSpain » Sat Aug 20, 2022 10:19 am

Another tough away game but we should just nick it. 1-2 is my prediction COYB

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Aug 20, 2022 10:22 am

Looking forward to another ifollow ⚽️ match this afternoon. When it cools down enough to play 🏌️‍♂️ again on a Saturday there will be difficult decisions to make. McKenna has certainly revived my enjoyment in watching Town play and not wanting to miss a game.

Denny61

Post by Denny61 » Sat Aug 20, 2022 12:22 pm

I've a feeling this is the game that will be a defining moment..that is we not only win 4 in a row but will impose our style so much that it could open the flood gates ...il go for 4 nil to the town.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Aug 20, 2022 2:11 pm

No Edmundson
No Burns
No Ladapo

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Aug 20, 2022 2:16 pm

In the last 5 league meetings we’ve
W3
D2

We’ve tended to win our home games and draw the away ones. So based on that ( and our team today), ie no Burns yet again ( our biggest attacking threat m), I’d say it’s a draw. Just as long as we don’t go and lose!

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Aug 20, 2022 2:23 pm

Kieran McKenna has made five changes from the team which won 1-0 at Burton on Tuesday for this afternoon’s game at Shrewsbury.

Cameron Burgess, Kane Vincent-Young, Leif Davis, Conor Chaplin and Tyreece John-Jules all start with George Edmundson, Kayden Jackson, Greg Leigh, Sone Aluko and Freddie Ladapo dropping to the bench.

There is still no place in the 18 for Wes Burns, who suffered a groin injury in the warm-up ahead of last week’s 3-0 home win against the MK Dons, or Dominic Ball, who is not quite ready to return from the ankle problem he suffered in pre-season.

Town: Walton, Donacien, Woolfenden, Burgess, Vincent-Young, Evans, Morsy (c), Davis, Chaplin, Harness, John-Jules. Subs: Hladky, Edmundson, Leigh, Edwards, Aluko, Jackson, Ladapo.

Formation; 3:4:2:1

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Aug 20, 2022 2:41 pm

Denny61 wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 12:22 pm
I've a feeling this is the game that will be a defining moment..that is we not only win 4 in a row but will impose our style so much that it could open the flood gates ...il go for 4 nil to the town.
Loving this. 👍 With you, 100%

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Aug 20, 2022 2:50 pm

Pleased to see Edmundson drop out, was very shaky Tuesday, not so happy at Ladapo and Leigh dropping out.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Aug 20, 2022 3:08 pm

How in gods name was that nor a bloody penalty

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Aug 20, 2022 3:12 pm

I guess their defender played the ball. No appeal and poor first touch from KVY. Great pass.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Aug 20, 2022 3:14 pm

Great away support again. 👏

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Sat Aug 20, 2022 3:16 pm

This referee worries me already Town had a clear penalty not given :shock:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Aug 20, 2022 3:20 pm

Donacien having a mare so far

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Aug 20, 2022 3:24 pm

What a goal !!!!! John-Jules

BLUEBLOOD

Post by BLUEBLOOD » Sat Aug 20, 2022 3:25 pm

COYB Get in There...

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Aug 20, 2022 3:25 pm

mendipblue wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 3:16 pm
This referee worries me already Town had a clear penalty not given :shock:
…. or possibly the perfect tackle of the season. Would be good to see in slow mo.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Aug 20, 2022 3:26 pm

What a brilliant goal from TJJ - fabulous ⚽️

Just what was needed. It will do his confidence no harm either.