League 1 - Ipswich Town vs Barnsley FC Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Can we keep the great start going?

Ipswich Win
82%
Barnsley Win
9%
Draw
9%

Total votes: 22

JohnnyB

Re: League 1 - Ipswich Town vs Barnsley FC Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by JohnnyB » Sat Aug 27, 2022 5:07 pm

Bit disappointing after the run we’ve been on but no disaster. We’re still very much with the chasing pack, second only on goals scored I believe.

They’ll pick themselves up and prepare for the next opponents, a very different sort of challenge up at Accrington.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Aug 27, 2022 5:07 pm

Can't help feel we deserved that. If you can't defend properly- that's what happens. Enter Keogh.

Steve

Post by Steve » Sat Aug 27, 2022 5:23 pm

BlueBalls wrote:
Sat Aug 27, 2022 5:15 pm
Every single one of us would've taken 4 wins + 2 draws from our first six games.
Totally agree, we would of bitten hands off to be undefeated and with 4 wins in the pot also. Where were this time last year?

Lets go again Ipswich, drawing is not a disaster. Just like us all bit disappointed as it feels we should of won but these things happen. On wards and upwards

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Aug 27, 2022 5:24 pm

We did indeed deserve to win that although at times it was pretty even. Two sloppy moments defensively cost us Two goals although the first should never have happened as it was never a free kick to start with as Evans was pushed into the ball, we should still defend the cross much better.

I cannot for the life of me see why the Harness goal was disallowed, 3-1 and its game over so for me we were robbed. Walton made a good save earlier to keep it level but the final 20 mins was virtually all Town and the chances to win it weren't taken, Edmundson header off the post, great save from Vincent-Young's header and one off the line right at the death. Two points dropped but they aren't a bad side by any means.

Impressed with Morsy, Chaplin and Evans today while Jackson and Harness made a big difference when they came on. I still don't like this playing out from the back, there's a time and a place, sometimes Walton needs to put his foot through it, his dribbling out is ridiculous. Not disappointed with the performance but very frustrated with the result as I hate saying it but the referee cost us today.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sat Aug 27, 2022 5:30 pm

Certain things really wind me up which do nothing to help the game flow:

1, Referee, give a player one chance to time waste (Barnsley keeper), don't just stand there tapping your watch everytime afterwards, just yellow card them - problem solved!
2, When a player goes down, an enforced 3 minute on the sidelines for treatment, would cut out this ridiculous time wasting trying to break up the play.

These two things are really spoiling the game. No I was not happy about our disallowed goal, but credit to Barnsley on making a game of it (bar the blatant cheating).

Andym

Post by Andym » Sat Aug 27, 2022 5:44 pm

A fair result overall. They were decent but spoilers. Referee very poor, on a par with last week’s.
Too many sloppy passes to deserve the win really.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sat Aug 27, 2022 7:06 pm

Certainly Keiran seems unhappy with the level of the referee's performance!

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-to ... ey-9238218

Will be very interested to see our disallowed goal on the highlights later! As Charnie said, anywhere else on the pitch and the referee would have not blown for a free kick, even if he did it would more likely to have favoured the attacking player.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Aug 27, 2022 7:10 pm

Tangfastic wrote:
Sat Aug 27, 2022 5:07 pm
Can't help feel we deserved that. If you can't defend properly- that's what happens. Enter Keogh.
Hopefully. I said to Mike today how did he feel about Edmundson and Woolfie? I always feel there’s at least one mistake from either of them thst Will cost us the goal m. Teams don’t have to work hard to score against us I feel.

But the ref today was a bloody disgrace. He wasn’t only poor, he was biased.
He gave them a free kjj if k gif hand ball when it clearly a foul on our player thst led him to hit the ball with his arm when he was pushed in the back . Then to disallow our 3rd and what would face been the winning goal . The arrogant c*ck just liked being centre of attention with his “ I’m in charge” attitude. Utter tossa.

Edit: I would tend to disagree with AndyM only because we hit the woodwork, their GK made two blinding saves and another shot was cleared off the line, AND we had a perfectly good goal disallowed by that c*ck womble- had that stood we’d have won that game without a shadow of doubt.

I agree with tang ( and hope ) it’s only a matter of time before Keogh comes in at the back. I suspect Edmundson will be the one to make way .

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Sat Aug 27, 2022 7:36 pm

Referee shocking!! Ladapo awful,Davies awful these should not start again. Barnsley awful spoiling time waisting glad we don't play like that. 2 goals we gave away poor defending sadly. 2 points dropped unfortunately 😪

Andym

Post by Andym » Sat Aug 27, 2022 7:53 pm

mendipblue wrote:
Sat Aug 27, 2022 7:36 pm
Referee shocking!! Ladapo awful,Davies awful these should not start again. Barnsley awful spoiling time waisting glad we don't play like that. 2 goals we gave away poor defending sadly. 2 points dropped unfortunately 😪
Agree on Ladapo who never gets into the game, and Davies who played more sloppy passes than anyone else. Barnsley were indeed Spoilers but weren’t a bad side.
Still averaging more than 2 points a game which is promotion form. Need to bounce back next week.

Andym

Post by Andym » Sat Aug 27, 2022 7:55 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sat Aug 27, 2022 7:10 pm
Tangfastic wrote:
Sat Aug 27, 2022 5:07 pm
Hopefully. I said to Mike today how did he feel about Edmundson and Woolfie? I always feel there’s at least one mistake from either of them thst Will cost us the goal m. Teams don’t have to work hard to score against us I feel.

But the ref today was a bloody disgrace. He wasn’t only poor, he was biased.
He gave them a free kjj if k gif hand ball when it clearly a foul on our player thst led him to hit the ball with his arm when he was pushed in the back . Then to disallow our 3rd and what would face been the winning goal . The arrogant c*ck just liked being centre of attention with his “ I’m in charge” attitude. Utter tossa.

Edit: I would tend to disagree with AndyM only because we hit the woodwork, their GK made two blinding saves and another shot was cleared off the line, AND we had a perfectly good goal disallowed by that c*ck womble- had that stood we’d have won that game without a shadow of doubt.

I agree with tang ( and hope ) it’s only a matter of time before Keogh comes in at the back. I suspect Edmundson will be the one to make way .
I think we were the better side today but probably didn’t do enough to deserve a win.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Aug 27, 2022 11:24 pm

We scored 3 perfectly good goals so that alone deserved the win.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun Aug 28, 2022 12:40 am

McKenna started with only one in attack ? To what end I don't know. Surely with a home advantage and some of the attackers at our disposal the emphasis would have been on a more attacking line-up ? Guess he changed it at some point of proceedings but that don't make it so.

Caught highlights, may have to tune in a second time to gain better idea but got the basics of what occurred. Got Chaplin correct as first scorer and attendance was about as expected. Thought we'd win today, unless Barnsley are better than their league status suggests, some would argue two points dropped. Four wins, two draws, six games in. Whether we were wronged today or otherwise it's been a great start, there can be no dispute.

Unless the senior game official today were some distant relation of Clive Thomas, can't quite understand why he had to chalk off what seemed a legitimate goal. Maybe the kid was under-experienced or just put in a poor days work. Shame it had to be today.

Not sure who we got next but reading replies and seeing from highlights (in that) we created enough chances to win it, there's no real reason for despair. Team has come on leaps and bounds after the complete f*ck-ups of recent managers and ex-playing personnel : you CAN see optimism ahead.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Aug 28, 2022 1:40 am

Managed to catch some highlights. Kieron rightly must've been frustrated at full time. Not just about the legitimate goal that was chopped off, but just not getting 3pts from what looked like a very good ITFC performance.
Chaplins freekick....., brilliant
Morseys goal, even better imo....., very difficult to guide those 50/50 chances....., done it beautifully
Barnsley 1st goal....., could've done better but Walton was a whisker away from saving that.... so close and unlucky
Barnsley 2nd goal......, that'll need discussed in depth this week at training. For that 3 seconds of play, ....., WTF were they doing? Get that sh!t sorted out lads.

But, 4 corners in injury time, constant onslaught on their goal......, never giving up attitude was excellent.

Ladapo could be a DUFF-er. But not enough highlights to be totally sure. Must be the name Freddie --->> They just don't work @ Portman Road.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Aug 28, 2022 7:25 am

He certainly looks no better than Pigott that’s for sure, and I’d say Piggot, technically, is streets ahead of him.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Aug 28, 2022 9:35 am

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Aug 27, 2022 11:24 pm
We did..... but we still drew.

I just hope this isn't going to be another season of whinging over refs and other team's shithousery. We could have won with 2 goals if we'd have defended the corner better and the ref could have disallowed 10 more goals and we'd have still won. The scorer was 5ft 6. The first scorer was 5ft 9 and he didn't even jump. That's the frustrating thing.... we work so hard to get a lead and then give it away so easily.
We know refs are sh*t.... so we can't rely on them. But we can influence games ourselves by not making schoolboy errors. I think now we'll see Keogh. I don’t necessarily think he's here as back up. He played 28 times for Blackpool in the Championship last year and their fans rated him. We brought him here for a reason and I think now the time is right. Walton can't save us every week.

Apart from that, 4 wins, 2 draws. Very decent. A greedy part of me thinks we should have won all 6. Still think we won't know how good we are till we play a sheff wed, Posh or Pompey. And I do think we need another striker. Ladapo is going to need a lot of chances to score just one and I don't think he'll get them. Missed another one yesterday.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sun Aug 28, 2022 10:13 am

Tangfastic wrote:
Sun Aug 28, 2022 9:35 am
Bluemike wrote:
Sat Aug 27, 2022 11:24 pm
We did..... but we still drew.

I just hope this isn't going to be another season of whinging over refs and other team's shithousery. We could have won with 2 goals if we'd have defended the corner better and the ref could have disallowed 10 more goals and we'd have still won. The scorer was 5ft 6. The first scorer was 5ft 9 and he didn't even jump. That's the frustrating thing.... we work so hard to get a lead and then give it away so easily.
We know refs are sh*t.... so we can't rely on them. But we can influence games ourselves by not making schoolboy errors. I think now we'll see Keogh. I don’t necessarily think he's here as back up. He played 28 times for Blackpool in the Championship last year and their fans rated him. We brought him here for a reason and I think now the time is right. Walton can't save us every week.

Apart from that, 4 wins, 2 draws. Very decent. A greedy part of me thinks we should have won all 6. Still think we won't know how good we are till we play a sheff wed, Posh or Pompey. And I do think we need another striker. Ladapo is going to need a lot of chances to score just one and I don't think he'll get them. Missed another one yesterday.
Agree, we know the standard of refereeing in this league is sh*t and that ain’t going to change. However, we can do something about conceding soft goals. Their first one yesterday we seemed to switch off after blocking the free kick and as for the 2nd yes it was a good header but ffs the scorer seemed to have the freedom of Portman Road to make the header.
Hopefully we will get back to winning ways at Accrington next Saturday although as we know from previous visits there it won’t be easy.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Aug 28, 2022 10:21 am

Depends which way you look at it, the Ref cost us Two goals yesterday, The Harness goal and their first goal, Evans was actually fouled and they get the free kick which led to the goal in the second phase of play, that is fact so if this is what we have to expect every week what we are saying is we aren't allowed any defensive errors which is never gonna happen and that goes for any team, we were robbed, its plain and simple, our poor defending for that goal never happens if the fucktard ref does his job.

Looking at the replays I would say Donacien at fault for both their goals, I may be wrong but I thought it was his man both times.

rossi

Post by rossi » Sun Aug 28, 2022 10:55 am

well, 14 points from 6 games is still pretty good and I'm more than happy with the situation, but it could and probably should be better.

But I do have some concerns, mainly about the manager (who I've backed since his appointment but in whom I'm gradually losing confidence when listening to some of the ridiculous things he says).

First off - it's no good whining and bleating about the referee, and it does us no service as a club when the manager does exactly that. Of course the Harness goal should never have been disallowed - one of several terrible decisions by a referee determined to interrupt the flow of play whenever possible and to appear as the big I am. But, we're in a sh*t league (entirely through our own fault) with sh*t officials - everybody knows that, so just deal with it.

Secondly - 3 changes to the starting line-up after a 3-0 away win? What's that all about? That makes 8 changes in the last 2 games, far too many. I suppose one change was made so he could get Burns back in the team. In the 47th minute, Burns initially did well to beat his man and get to the by-line, there were 5 or 6 of our players in the penalty area but Burns' cross went at knee height to the first defender. No improvement from last season, then, and until he can improve his delivery he'll never be a top player.

Lastly, I'm concerned that we have dropped 4 points at home already - that's nowhere near promotion form. I said before the game that one of the reasons I expected a difficult game was because we were at home. The trouble is that teams coming here will pack out the midfield and defence and it's difficult to break teams down using the approach and type of football that KM wants to play. In this way I would say that he's as one-dimensional as PC was. It's fine to play the pretty football away from home, but at home when opposing defence and midfield are packed out you need to take a more direct approach - more long balls to TWO strikers one of whom at least needs to be a big target man. So it really surprises me that KM seems to think we're fine in the striking front, because I don't think we are. Maybe he just says that through embarrassment at the club having spent all it's time chasing an unrealistic target (Hirst). I just hope that our home form does not prove to be our nemesis this season, but something needs to change for sure.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Aug 28, 2022 11:21 am

Bluemike wrote:
Sun Aug 28, 2022 10:21 am
Depends which way you look at it, the Ref cost us Two goals yesterday, The Harness goal and their first goal, Evans was actually fouled and they get the free kick which led to the goal in the second phase of play, that is fact so if this is what we have to expect every week what we are saying is we aren't allowed any defensive errors which is never gonna happen and that goes for any team, we were robbed, its plain and simple, our poor defending for that goal never happens if the fucktard ref does his job.

Looking at the replays I would say Donacien at fault for both their goals, I may be wrong but I thought it was his man both times.
The point is..... we can affect what happens with how we play. We can't affect anything by constantly complaining about refs. Unless we bribe them. Another day, another ref and we would have won that .... but we got another bad one. And, yes, we will get more bad refs who make more bad decisions.

The referee didn't instruct our defenders NOT to mark players in the box. That was down to us. If we're solely reliant on getting decent refs..... we might as well give up.
No big deal. Only 6 games in and it's a good start, but I'd hate to be 20-30 games in and still complaining about sh*t refs costing us points. Its possible to have a bad ref and still win.

Andym

Post by Andym » Sun Aug 28, 2022 11:52 am

I just felt that we were slightly the better better side but not at our best. We save the ball away cheaply with some poor passing, particularly in the first half.
It was a strange game, I don’t think either side had a corner in the first hour.
Despite having the edge, I never felt confident that we would win - except maybe in the: seconds between our third goal being scored and disallowed.
I haven’t looked at any highlights or replays, but I think many refs wouldn’t have given us the free kick for it first goal. Burns appeared to be nudged a few times and lost balance but never seemed to be brought down. I repeat, I haven’t watched any replays, that was hired I saw it at the time.
There were times when I was worried we would lose; particularly in the period in the second half when they went very close on two occasions in with succession. It’s in that basis - gut feeling rather than thinking about specific incidents - that made me feel a draw wasn’t an unfair result.
While I wouldn’t want us to adopt the big tall knock/it-long approach, it would be nice to have at least one player in the team who you think might score from a header.
Finally, it’s easy to criticise team selection, and of course there has been little criticism while we have been winning. McKenna seems to pick his team based on who will do best against the particular opposition and their style of play, which I guess is a good thing but still not at so convinced by Davies. But having gone to Shrewsbury last week, I don’t think we were brilliant there either. But Shrewsbury, who have a very small squad, looked knackered. We had made changes and our players had so much more energy.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Aug 28, 2022 11:56 am

I don't think we are constantly complaining about refs, certainly from my point of view its the first one this season, and with justification. You are right about us marking better, that was poor and I'm sure we will see change in that regard soon enough (Keogh).

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Aug 28, 2022 11:59 am

rossi wrote:
Sun Aug 28, 2022 10:55 am
well, 14 points from 6 games is still pretty good and I'm more than happy with the situation, but it could and probably should be better.

But I do have some concerns, mainly about the manager (who I've backed since his appointment but in whom I'm gradually losing confidence when listening to some of the ridiculous things he says).

First off - it's no good whining and bleating about the referee, and it does us no service as a club when the manager does exactly that. Of course the Harness goal should never have been disallowed - one of several terrible decisions by a referee determined to interrupt the flow of play whenever possible and to appear as the big I am. But, we're in a sh*t league (entirely through our own fault) with sh*t officials - everybody knows that, so just deal with it.

Secondly - 3 changes to the starting line-up after a 3-0 away win? What's that all about? That makes 8 changes in the last 2 games, far too many. I suppose one change was made so he could get Burns back in the team. In the 47th minute, Burns initially did well to beat his man and get to the by-line, there were 5 or 6 of our players in the penalty area but Burns' cross went at knee height to the first defender. No improvement from last season, then, and until he can improve his delivery he'll never be a top player.

Lastly, I'm concerned that we have dropped 4 points at home already - that's nowhere near promotion form. I said before the game that one of the reasons I expected a difficult game was because we were at home. The trouble is that teams coming here will pack out the midfield and defence and it's difficult to break teams down using the approach and type of football that KM wants to play. In this way I would say that he's as one-dimensional as PC was. It's fine to play the pretty football away from home, but at home when opposing defence and midfield are packed out you need to take a more direct approach - more long balls to TWO strikers one of whom at least needs to be a big target man. So it really surprises me that KM seems to think we're fine in the striking front, because I don't think we are. Maybe he just says that through embarrassment at the club having spent all it's time chasing an unrealistic target (Hirst). I just hope that our home form does not prove to be our nemesis this season, but something needs to change for sure.
Regarding the home form Gary, I would agree with you if we'd struggled and not deserve to win both games, and I know its all ifs and buts and we didn't win them but I think we all know that should have been Six points, Bolton and Barnsley are both tricky teams but I can see us steamrolling a fair few teams at home, also the home form may not be promotion form by itself but 9 from 9 away most definitely is.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Aug 28, 2022 12:03 pm

Must admit..... I'm with Azzuromark & Bluemike. Its the only sport on the planet where players (time wasting) and refs (getting it wrong) CAN dictate the outcome of a game. Doesn't happen in any other ball and field sport, Rugby Union, Rugby League or AFL.
ALL decisions are accurate in AFL. And as a side note...... all games are the same duration. None of this discretional "added on time" where players use it to roll around feigning injury. Its a farce.
And one added moan......., like the back pass was scrapped...... the governing bodies need to think up a rule about the "taking it into the corner" thing. 90 minute game......, but the last 5 are in a corner. Need to change that.

But the most important thing......., the ITFC poll in this thread..... 81% win, 10% draw, 10% loss......, 101% ? Even the forum calculator is making up new percentage totals. FFS, get your act together!

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Aug 28, 2022 12:43 pm

I have said for a long while that teams will always come to PR t9 “ park the bus”, and that we will do much better away from home. For promotion t9 happen our away form must continue and we need to minimise the effects of shyte housers that visit PR. The refs we can’t do anything about. But as always , take out chances ( we hit the woodwork twice yesterday, and how about our defenders actually getting on the end of our own bloody corners!! They’re nowhere to be seen).

Overall when look8mg at our squad / team , I’d say our weaker players are actually our two CBs . They very dodging when under real pressure and p*ss about with it bringing out of defence. The ball is ALWAYS passed ( eventually) to Woolfie who then passes it to Donacian, who passes it to Burns. It ain’t rocket science that opponents will ( and do), close that outlet down. Also the SPEED at which we build from the back is fa4 to pedestrian. Mix it up a little, go long occasionally, change the pace of the passing , and direction ! Honestly it’s basics.

And for the record , I’d actually look to replace BOTH Woolfie and Edmundson. I don’t think they’re good enough ( when compared to the quality of the rest of the team.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Aug 28, 2022 12:55 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sun Aug 28, 2022 12:43 pm
I have said for a long while that teams will always come to PR t9 “ park the bus”, and that we will do much better away from home. For promotion t9 happen our away form must continue and we need to minimise the effects of shyte housers that visit PR. The refs we can’t do anything about. But as always , take out chances ( we hit the woodwork twice yesterday, and how about our defenders actually getting on the end of our own bloody corners!! They’re nowhere to be seen).

Overall when look8mg at our squad / team , I’d say our weaker players are actually our two CBs . They very dodging when under real pressure and p*ss about with it bringing out of defence. The ball is ALWAYS passed ( eventually) to Woolfie who then passes it to Donacian, who passes it to Burns. It ain’t rocket science that opponents will ( and do), close that outlet down. Also the SPEED at which we build from the back is fa4 to pedestrian. Mix it up a little, go long occasionally, change the pace of the passing , and direction ! Honestly it’s basics.

And for the record , I’d actually look to replace BOTH Woolfie and Edmundson. I don’t think they’re good enough ( when compared to the quality of the rest of the team.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Aug 28, 2022 3:40 pm

Lol …… V…..

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Aug 28, 2022 4:24 pm

I’ve never been one to constantly moan about refereeing decisions and always looked at them like swings and roundabouts, sometimes they go your way and sometimes they don’t and just like luck it usually evens out between good and bad.

However, that referee yesterday must rank as one the poorest professional referees I have ever seen as his interpretation of the rules were inconsistent and incompetent throughout the 90 minutes of play.

Does anyone know how referees are assessed, is it match by match and who does the assessment. I mean if that guy was assessed yesterday surely he’d either be stood down, fined, or demoted to a lower level of football and work his way back up.

I know it’s not easy for referees especially at our level where they may only be used to officiating games in front of a few thousand fans, and then like yesterday be suddenly thrown in front of 25,000 noisy fans, maybe this could is part of the problem we’re up against at Portman Road. Maybe a guy like him yesterday convinces himself before the game that he won’t be swayed by the home fans and that determines him to give nothing in our favour.

There just has to be a plausible explanation why a guy like him yesterday made so many bad decisions against us. because surely he wouldn’t keep getting games to referee each week if yesterdays performance was a regular occurrence.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Aug 28, 2022 4:46 pm

100% correct, those who say you have to take the rough with the smooth and things even themselves out are normally correct, but this tool yesterday went beyond that, he was inept beyond belief, those Two points could be very very costly.

In answer to your question I have no idea how these goons are assessed, I wonder if they even are tbh, I think we'd all agree that KM is a placid, level headed and sensible character so for him to react the way he did speaks volumes.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Aug 28, 2022 4:56 pm

Someone on here is f**king bored. Adding an Ipswich "win" to the poll on Sunday afternoon? Jaysus H. :lol:
Ah well, at least it corrected the percentages. Nice job.