Derby Home Game

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Shed on tour

Derby Home Game

Post by Shed on tour » Fri Sep 02, 2022 12:48 pm

Moved to Friday 21st October 8pm kickoff as on Sky.

shabba

Re: Derby Home Game

Post by shabba » Fri Sep 02, 2022 1:26 pm

Shame, it's around my birthday so I planned to go to that game if it was a weekend.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Sep 02, 2022 2:21 pm

Ipswich Town v Derby County. WHAT A FIXTURE.

Was it vs Derby that Paul Cooper saved about 40 retaken penalties? Or was that Bolton? Fairiy sure it was Derby early 80s.

Any of you guys at that game as spotty teenagers?

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Fri Sep 02, 2022 2:31 pm

shabba wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 1:26 pm
Shame, it's around my birthday so I planned to go to that game if it was a weekend.
Likewise, I had pencilled this game in as my next one after Bristol Rovers! Ironically it is not too far from by birthday as well! :D
I work Friday evenings so that is one game I will have to scrub off!!

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:16 pm

marko69 wrote:
Fri Sep 02, 2022 2:21 pm
Ipswich Town v Derby County. WHAT A FIXTURE.

Was it vs Derby that Paul Cooper saved about 40 retaken penalties? Or was that Bolton? Fairiy sure it was Derby early 80s.

Any of you guys at that game as spotty teenagers?
Marko
Yes it was Derby and the date was 29th March 1980. It’s not a case of me having a great memory but I missed the game because I was otherwise engaged. At kickoff time the engaged bit changed to married. :wink:

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:49 am

I was at the game too Marko not as a teenager but hanging onto my 20’s albeit only by the skin of my teeth. As Shed has said the game was against Derby and Paul Cooper was the Penalty Save King of English football and that season alone saved 8 of 10 penalties. I’m not sure what his career record was but it’s certainly worth looking up. That day he saved two one at each end, I’m not sure who the penalty taker would have been for Derby those days. Those were the best days of my life for football, I got my first season ticket at Portman Road 1976/77 Season and never missed a home game for years until I moved away from Essex.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:22 am

Cooper saved 2 that day from Barry Powell and Gerry Daly.

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Sat Sep 03, 2022 9:38 am

Going to try and make it to this game, hopefully me being there and on Sky wont jinx it for us lol.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Sep 04, 2022 12:53 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:22 am
Cooper saved 2 that day from Barry Powell and Gerry Daly.
All I could think of was Alan Hinton but that must have been a previous era. I can remember Gery Daly but don’t recall Barry Powell.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Sep 04, 2022 12:55 pm

Can’t say I’m a great lover of Friday Night football but I guess I’ll have to watch it. Just hope we’re still going strong and somewhere near the top of the table both before and after the game.

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:49 pm

Just bought my ticket, didn't realise they would be on sale so soon.

If any fancy a meet up, think Bluemike mentioned c*ck & Pye but open to suggestions.

Hopefully be in Town for early afternoon, only manage to get there once in a while so making the most lol.

shabba

Post by shabba » Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:04 pm

I’ll be at the game too, can’t wait! When I booked on Monday there wasn’t much choice left in the Magnus stand.

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:44 pm

Same here Shabba, block GG, slim pickings but got one?!

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:20 pm

Just seen news that Warne is possibly heading to Derby, so could be in place for this game. Wierd thing is my last game was Rotherham at our place end of last season, hopefully we can give him a bit of payback.

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Sun Sep 25, 2022 2:25 pm

Feck sky!!

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Sep 25, 2022 4:19 pm

ipswichtownNo1 wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 2:25 pm
Feck sky!!

If we want to win the League we have to get used to it cos the more successful we are the more often they will want to show our games. Apart from that the camera angles and coverage is so superior to anything ifollow can deliver albeit I’m 1000% grateful for tho job they do and the price they charge.

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Mon Oct 17, 2022 2:44 pm

Some good news leading up to Fridays game, going to try and be there....

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-to ... ar-9332634

Ipswich Town are to change the name of the 'The Far Post Bar' to 'Burley's Bar' in honour of the club's legendary former player and manager.

Burley made close to 400 appearances for the Blues during the 70s and 80s, playing his part in the FA Cup and UEFA Cup triumphs of that period. The Scot went on to manage the club during the 90s and 00s, overseeing a Championship promotion and fifth-place finish in the Premier League.

The 66-year-old will officially open the newly-decorated venue now bearing his name ahead of Friday night's televised home game against Derby County.

Supporters wishing to witness the ribbon cut, which will be attended by several of Burley's ex team-mates and players, are asked to gather outside the bar, which is located halfway down the Cobbold Stand, just prior to 5pm.

Burley’s Bar is available for hospitality guests who have booked Cobbold boxes or a meal within 'Hall of Fame'.

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Mon Oct 17, 2022 2:52 pm

Just a quick question ref hospitality for this game, and to gain entry to Burley's Bar you need to purchase the meal deal (not Tesco's finest). Never been so interested to know what it is like and if worth it?

This is me treating myself as do not get to PR very often, its either a pub meal or the above? Appreciate any feedback.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Oct 17, 2022 3:32 pm

Dazzz67 wrote:
Mon Oct 17, 2022 2:52 pm
Just a quick question ref hospitality for this game, and to gain entry to Burley's Bar you need to purchase the meal deal (not Tesco's finest). Never been so interested to know what it is like and if worth it?

This is me treating myself as do not get to PR very often, its either a pub meal or the above? Appreciate any feedback.

Have a great trip Dazz and hopefully the boys will deliver the points for you. Would love to be there with you. 👍

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Mon Oct 17, 2022 3:38 pm

Cheers Charnwood, never seen our boys win at home so fingers crossed it will happen this time.

If anybody is up for a coffee/beer from mid afternoon onwards give me a shout, hoping to be in Ipswich for around 2-3pm, will be Billy no mates otherwise lol.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Oct 19, 2022 8:51 am

Dazzz67 wrote:
Mon Oct 17, 2022 3:38 pm
Cheers Charnwood, never seen our boys win at home so fingers crossed it will happen this time.

If anybody is up for a coffee/beer from mid afternoon onwards give me a shout, hoping to be in Ipswich for around 2-3pm, will be Billy no mates otherwise lol.
I’m pretty sure Bluemike & Liz (Hallam) will make sure you have some company Dazzz although 2-3 could be a tad early. I’ve a feeling they use the c*ck & Pye pub but I’m sure they’ll soon let you know.

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Wed Oct 19, 2022 10:09 am

Thanks again Charnwood, Mike did mention is a while back about the C & Pye so will drop him a PM.

I do not get to Ipswich that often so try and get there early as to make the most of it, hence the time. Cheers.

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Wed Oct 19, 2022 1:37 pm

Believe me id love a good drink but as im driving back after the game darn't have any (well maybe a half lol). Drinking mid afternoon really knackers me in, always has, just want to kip lol.

Maybe I could grab a few local bottles back for the weekend, toast the win then.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Oct 19, 2022 1:53 pm

Dazzz67 wrote:
Wed Oct 19, 2022 1:37 pm
Believe me id love a good drink but as im driving back after the game darn't have any (well maybe a half lol). Drinking mid afternoon really knackers me in, always has, just want to kip lol.

Maybe I could grab a few local bottles back for the weekend, toast the win then.
Where’s home Dazzz ?

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Wed Oct 19, 2022 2:07 pm

Unfortunately its Swindon lol, originally from near Colchester but moved away when I was 17 and do not pop back that often.

Its only about 3.5 hours drive but far enough, not hard core like some, couldn't afford it lol.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Oct 19, 2022 3:34 pm

That’s definitely too far for a regular commitment Dazzz. I bought my first season ticket when I was living in Chelmsford and that was fine, even better when I moved to Colchester which was a simple journey especially living close to the A12. However my next move was to Nottingham and that became a real drag especially the night games, going to the game wasn’t too bad but driving home was a nightmare and after just one season I gave it up.
At least living in Nottingham and later in Leicestershire it was easy to follow Town at a good number of away games, most especially Leicester, Nottingham, MK Dons, Sheffield United & Wednesday, Burton, Barnsley, Rotherham. Doncaster, Peterborough & Derby all within east striking distance. In fact I think it was Derby (a) where I first met up with Bluemike & Hallam who are always good company and make the trip more of an outing, I’d certainly recommend meeting up if you can.

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Wed Oct 19, 2022 3:56 pm

Yeah, Colchester to Ipswich isn't too bad, I always remember my Dad did take me to Ipswich on a couple of occasions (early teens) to visit the Gaumont for gigs. And I did make it to Cambridge and Colchester a couple of times for the odd midweek night match, the old Layer Road, but never got to PR.

Swindon is pretty central (down South) really but getting away tickets when your down the pecking order does restrict you, so I stick to the odd home game as a reasonable safe bet, just a little further to travel so make it a day out lol.

I have been in touch with Mike and hoping to meet up at the C & Pye before the game, be nice to see a few others hopefully. I will be the old git in the cream/black away top or the recent pink goalie top, depending on how brave I am feeling lol. Unfortunately missed out on the new blue home/black 3rd kit but will pop into planet blue to have a browse anyway, may get lucky.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Oct 19, 2022 3:59 pm

Dazzz67 wrote:
Wed Oct 19, 2022 3:56 pm
Yeah, Colchester to Ipswich isn't too bad, I always remember my Dad did take me to Ipswich on a couple of occasions (early teens) to visit the Gaumont for gigs. And I did make it to Cambridge and Colchester a couple of times for the odd midweek night match, the old Layer Road, but never got to PR.

Swindon is pretty central (down South) really but getting away tickets when your down the pecking order does restrict you, so I stick to the odd home game as a reasonable safe bet, just a little further to travel so make it a day out lol.

I have been in touch with Mike and hoping to meet up at the C & Pye before the game, be nice to see a few others hopefully. I will be the old git in the cream/black away top or the recent pink goalie top, depending on how brave I am feeling lol. Unfortunately missed out on the new blue home/black 3rd kit but will pop into planet blue to have a browse anyway, may get lucky.

Just go and enjoy it mate, hopefully the boys will make it all worthwhile. 👍

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Oct 19, 2022 7:12 pm

Ok Dazz, I will be at the c*ck and pye around 6ish mate, will be good to say hi. I think Hallam (Liz) will be joining us too. Anyone else more than welcome

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Wed Oct 19, 2022 7:36 pm

No probs Mike, see you then, I will be wearing a pink carnation lol