League 1 - Ipswich Town vs Cambridge United Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

1st versus 5th

Ipswich Win
79%
Cambridge Win
7%
Draw
14%

Total votes: 14

Frosty
Forum Owner

League 1 - Ipswich Town vs Cambridge United Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Frosty » Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:01 pm

Image Ipswich Town v Cambridge United Image

Saturday 10th September 2022 – 15:00

Portman Road

Pre-Match Thoughts - Mike

Another thoroughly professional performance saw Town to another away day victory and in doing so they made history, for the first time in the clubs illustrious history Town recorded Four successive Away wins, quite a statistic when we think of Town teams of days gone by so it's a big hats off to Kieran McKenna and the boys. Trips to Accrington have proved to be anything but easy for Town in the past so this is another positive that things are so much different at Portman Road these days, I think there are a lot of Town fans who know that this time last year the games at Burton, Forest Green, Shrewsbury & Accrington would not have gleaned Twelve points, that much is certain.

Due to my own personal celebrations I only got to catch the first half and I have to say I thought it was the worst I had seen from Town this season, Accrington definitely started the better and looked the more dangerous of the Two sides as Town struggled to get into any kind of stride, as the half wore on we did come more into it but there was no doubt the decision to play Kayden Jackson as the lone striker just didn't work and by the half time whistle I think it was obvious things needed a shake up.

Such is the strength of the Town bench these days we had the personnel able and ready to come on and boy did it turn things in our favour as the excellent Conor Chaplin came up trumps with Two well taken goals to get Town over the line once more and in doing so return us to the summit of the League One table. Of course it wasn't just Chaplin that made the difference as from what I have read Ladapo coming on also turned things in Town's favour.

It may only be Seven games in but the position we find ourselves in is a very strong One, unbeaten in Seven Five Wins, Four Clean Sheets, Top of the League and Two very winnable home games to come, it is of little surprise that Town are now the clear favourites with the bookies to win the title, yes it's ridiculously early to start talking about titles but we are quoted as such for a reason, we have the likes of Ball, Leigh, Keogh, Ahadme, Camara, Ladapo and Edmundson can't even make the starting Eleven at the moment which is quite something. After the next game we will have played a Third of the teams in the Division so to remain unbeaten in the next couple will be another achievement.

The next game sees Cambridge Utd visit Portman Road and if we cast our minds back to last seasons visit of the men from the Abbey Stadium we will need no reminding of how defensive and stubborn they can be. They have had a decent start to the season themselves and are sitting in Fifth plays having already chalked up Four wins, that said their away form has not been too good and so far they have only picked up One point on the road so Town will definitely go into this game as clear Favourites. An early goal for Town would be so vital as it opens up the game and brings them out to play, conversely the longer it goes without a Town goal the deeper they will sit and try to catch us on the break so Town need to come out of the blocks with all guns blazing and take it to them, I feel the firepower we have and with Harness and Chaplin in superb form we will have too much for them this time around so with that in mind I can go for no other result but another Town win and a consolidation of top spot. Three points please. COYB'S.

The Opposition – Cambridge United Honours

League

Football League Second Division / Championship

Best: 5th 1991-92

Football League Third Division / League One

Champions (1): 1990–91
Runners-up (1): 1977–78[137]

Football League Fourth Division / League Two

Champions (1): 1976–77
Runners-up (2): 1998–99, 2020–21
Promotion (1): 1972–73
Play-off winners (1): 1989–90

National League

Runners-up (3): 2007–08, 2008–09, 2013–14
Play-off winners (1): 2013–14
Play-off finalists (2): 2007–08, 2008–09

Southern League Premier Division

Winners (2): 1968–69, 1969–70

Cups

FA Cup

Quarter-finalists (2): 1989-90, 1990-91

FA Trophy

Winners (1): 2013–14

Football League Cup

Quarter-finalists (1): 1992-93

Football League Trophy

Runners-up (1): 2001–02

Southern League Cup

Winners (1): 1968–69

The Manager – Mark Bonner

League Table

Form Guide

Ipswich Town

13 Aug Ipswich Town 3 - 0 Milton Keynes

16 Aug Burton Albion 0 - 1 Ipswich Town

20 Aug Shrewsbury 0 - 3 Ipswich Town

27 Aug Ipswich Town 2 - 2 Barnsley

3 Sep Accrington 0 - 2 Ipswich Town

Cambridge United

13 Aug Cambridge Utd 2 - 1 Exeter City

16 Aug Portsmouth 4 - 1 Cambridge Utd

20 Aug Charlton 1 - 1 Cambridge Utd

27 Aug Cambridge Utd 4 - 3 Burton Albion

3 Sep Cambridge Utd 2 - 0 Lincoln City

Match Referee – Robert Lewis

Forgot he got knocked out a few years back, must have been an awful decision. 😉

IPSWICH TOWN 2 CAMBRIDGE UNITED 0

MasseyFerguson

Re: League 1 - Ipswich Town vs Cambridge United Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by MasseyFerguson » Wed Sep 07, 2022 4:57 pm

We are in a really good place at the moment. They are an improving side but I think we'll put them away comprehensively.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Sep 07, 2022 7:43 pm

MasseyFerguson wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2022 4:57 pm
We are in a really good place at the moment. They are an improving side but I think we'll put them away comprehensively.
Hey there, Mass....., looking at the word "comprehensively" and obviously knowing what it means, I googled it anyway to accurately tie it to your statement.

Clean sheet basically? :lol:

MasseyFerguson

Post by MasseyFerguson » Wed Sep 07, 2022 10:47 pm

marko69 wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2022 7:43 pm
MasseyFerguson wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2022 4:57 pm
Hey there, Mass....., looking at the word "comprehensively" and obviously knowing what it means, I googled it anyway to accurately tie it to your statement.

Clean sheet basically? :lol:
Not just a clean sheet but, I think, with three or more goals scored. 8) :wink:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Sep 07, 2022 11:21 pm

Mark Bonner Caption.
(Being interviewed, his assistant close by)
Interviewer: "Mark. We've been hearing from the Ipswich camp today. They say home win; comprehensively."
Bonner (to assistant): "Pssst, hey....., what does that mean?"

Another nice write up but SURELY..........

........., must've been written pre-wedding, pre-honeymoon?? :shock: Cannot believe Mrs Bluemike wants you concentrating too much on Cambridge United! :lol:

I am going to go along with Mass ..........

......., and say win for Ipswich Town FC. Maybe not quite comprehensively, ("Whats that mean?"....., "Shut it, Bonner!") ......, but a 3 or more win would be most welcome. As Mike says in the preview --->>> Sitting top, and two winnable games coming up. Don't blow it, guys.

REF Caption:

Player: "He's out cold!"
Other Player: "Was he knocked out?"
Player: "Mumbled something about League One football then drifted off."

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Sep 08, 2022 9:13 am

Well here’s the first of s few games against a top 6 side. I think if we get an early goal , we’ll go on to win. But if we struggle to break then down ( coz I think they’ll park the bus), and the game progresses without us scoring then it’ll end in yet another “ hard fought draw at PR” , which ultimately may be the factor in promotion or not.

So come on Town let’s get that first goal, break their undoubted early high press, Hit ‘em hard early on. And I hope the fans REALLY play their part and make Cambridge players feel uncomfortable and under pressure .

COYBs 👍💙

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Thu Sep 08, 2022 1:15 pm

Going for a home win, they are going to fancy their luck which will leave them open to us 'goosing' them along the flanks.

3 - 1 to the blue army!

Denny61

Post by Denny61 » Thu Sep 08, 2022 7:36 pm

Are football matches at weekend now cancelled cos of queen Elisabeth II passing

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:24 pm

I’m wondering if the EFL are going to postpone all league fixtures Saturday as a mark of respect?

Sorry Danny I just posted but didn’t look at the other posts on this thread . One getting distinct feeling games will be off.

Andym

Post by Andym » Thu Sep 08, 2022 9:00 pm

Deleted in case it caused offence.
Last edited by Andym on Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Steve

Post by Steve » Thu Sep 08, 2022 10:27 pm

Not mourning just a ex footballer here Andy.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Fri Sep 09, 2022 9:00 am

Th ere's lots of ways to show respect to Liz... no need to cancel events. People have made plans, spent money. Businesses are already suffering through corona, etc.
Not sure people are distraught and need time off work and to spend hours, days, weeks of quiet contemplation. Don't think its disrespectful to continue with life.

Andym

Post by Andym » Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:01 am

I agree. While I’m sorry she has died, we are witnessing the mass hysteria being whipped up by the press, just as they did when Diana died. It is sad but not unexpected, let’s move on and carry on with life.

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:51 am

I personally think all will go ahead over the weekend, think it is only right that every game should pay their own respects in the form of either a minutes silence or clapping, after all she did have a good sense of humour.

Also enure all matches are played to 96 minutes instead of the usual 90.

Steve

Post by Steve » Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:42 am

Weekend matches are cancelled

"Further to discussions on Friday morning it has been determined that all EFL fixtures from 9-10 September will be postponed as a mark of respect by the National Sport to the passing of HRH Queen Elizabeth II.

This is aligned with the approach that the Premier League and the FA will take with their competitions this weekend.

Further information, in respect of how football, Clubs and their supporters will commemorate Her Majesty’s reign will be confirmed at an appropriate point.

Details regarding rearranged games will be announced in due course."

*Taken from ITFC website*

Denny61

Post by Denny61 » Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:48 am

What about matches mid week..is Tuesdays night match cancelled too

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:53 am

But Sundays games are going ahead ? Ridiculous

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:13 pm

No, Sunday games & Mondays Leeds V Forest also postponed.

Tonight's game here in Scotland, Cove v Dundee is postponed, but all other fixtures going ahead over the weekend. Even Her Majesty's own miraculously resurrected Rangers FC kick off v Aberdeen at noon tomorrow.

Andym

Post by Andym » Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:21 pm

BlueBalls wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:14 pm
Who's paying for my train ticket and hotel room then?

Oh that'd be me.
And that I’d the stupidity and shortsightedness of the footballing authorities. They were told there wasn’t a problem with matches going ahead. A very poor decision.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:05 pm

marko69 wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:13 pm

Tonight's game here in Scotland, Cove v Dundee is postponed, but all other fixtures going ahead over the weekend. Even Her Majesty's own miraculously resurrected Rangers FC kick off v Aberdeen at noon tomorrow.
All matches in Scotland off too.
A minutes silence would have been sufficient.
With the WC in November the fixture list was already tricky.
Knew it would happen the establishment just can't help themselves.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:30 pm

valleyroad wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:05 pm
marko69 wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:13 pm

All matches in Scotland off too.
A minutes silence would have been sufficient.
With the WC in November the fixture list was already tricky.
Knew it would happen the establishment just can't help themselves.
BBC took their time adding the P-P’s …… first time at Tannadice for 10 years cancelled. Not great. And Balls is correct, train tickets, hotel bookings, for tens of thousands of people ?? 🤷‍♂️
Talk about pissing people off and creating the opposite of respect. Jeez

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Fri Sep 09, 2022 4:03 pm

Bringing crowds together to pay respects via 2 mins silence would have been a real release for people instead of being cooped up hearing the same news 24 hours/day - a real oppprtunity missed at a time when the last thing the country needs is restrictions. I thought the Queen was great but thisnis not doing her any favours, not anyone else...🙁

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Sep 10, 2022 6:31 am

At least Forfar won't lose, its not all bad.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Sep 10, 2022 7:26 am

Blue Wilf wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 4:03 pm
Bringing crowds together to pay respects via 2 mins silence would have been a real release for people instead of being cooped up hearing the same news 24 hours/day - a real oppprtunity missed at a time when the last thing the country needs is restrictions. I thought the Queen was great but thisnis not doing her any favours, not anyone else...🙁
Yes, exactly. People would naturally talk about her and I'm sure there would have been a genuine warm paying of respects. It feels like we have to take some kind of punishment to show our respects. That's from a bygone age... there's no families huddled around a wireless hearing a crackly sombre announcement about her death and its all doom and gloom and then being instructed that they must mourn. This just feel out of touch. And that's no disrespect to Liz. Should be celebrating or having a beer in her memory for the job she did. This will just p*ss people off.

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Sat Sep 10, 2022 12:37 pm

Tangfastic wrote:
Sat Sep 10, 2022 7:26 am
Blue Wilf wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 4:03 pm
Yes, exactly. People would naturally talk about her and I'm sure there would have been a genuine warm paying of respects. It feels like we have to take some kind of punishment to show our respects. That's from a bygone age... there's no families huddled around a wireless hearing a crackly sombre announcement about her death and its all doom and gloom and then being instructed that they must mourn. This just feel out of touch. And that's no disrespect to Liz. Should be celebrating or having a beer in her memory for the job she did. This will just p*ss people off.
Agreed

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Sep 10, 2022 3:24 pm

1-0 Morsy !!!!!!!

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sat Sep 10, 2022 3:39 pm

Well if it had pissed down like it just has in Clacton all I can say is thank you EFL.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Sep 10, 2022 3:48 pm

2-0 Ladapo !!!
The Town are going up. ...........

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Sep 10, 2022 3:51 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Sep 10, 2022 3:48 pm
2-0 Ladapo !!!
The Town are going up. ...........
You playing FIFA as well? Dundee United are 3-0 up......., I'm sh*te at it.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Sep 10, 2022 4:02 pm

Nope, in Dubrovnik pissed lol