How long can we keep Kieron McKenna

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Charnwood
Global Moderator

How long can we keep Kieron McKenna

Post by Charnwood » Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:30 am

I see Brighton are sniffing around K Mc as a possible replacement for Graham Potter. Whilst I don’t think we’ll lose him this time I do think he will constantly be short listed for all Championship vacancies and the less fashionable Premier League clubs with smaller budgets too. He’s certainly making a name for himself At Portman Road and it’s reviews like this which bring him even more into the spotlight. https://theathletic.com/3527458/2022/08 ... ted/?amp=1

Shed on tour

Re: How long can we keep Kieron McKenna

Post by Shed on tour » Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:57 am

Like you I would be really surprised if a Premiership side went for him at this time. Let’s face it he doesn’t even have a promotion on his cv at this time. If we do get promoted this season and we continue to progress under him in the Championship then it could very well be a different matter.
I guess that will be the price of success but I would much sooner it be that way than it has for so many years where we couldn’t even give our manager away for free in a raffle! With the current set up of owners and board I would not be at all surprised that they have already taken this matter into consideration and planning things for if and when this happens.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Sep 12, 2022 11:12 am

He won't be going anywhere anytime soon, he's said as much himself, our issues could start if we don't get promotion in May, which of course we will.

shabba

Post by shabba » Mon Sep 12, 2022 11:15 am

Brighton one club I feared, as I think he will only go to solid clubs which are well run and don't churn over managers - like Watford for example.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Sep 12, 2022 11:26 am

33/1 outsider along with dozens of others, not even a proper link, guy from Norway looking hot favourite

shabba

Post by shabba » Mon Sep 12, 2022 11:38 am

Yes I would add I think its a step to far at present, so right now I'd only see him going to a well run top championship side.

If all goes to plan then next year he will be in the championship with us and well backed financially etc. He probably does also need to add some promotions and such to his CV to raise his profile further.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Mon Sep 12, 2022 11:38 am

He would be far to big a gamble for a club like Brighton at this stage.
Managing in the Premiership is a whole different ball game than League One and McKenna would be well advised to work away at Ipswich and learn.
I'm sure he views it that way too.
The fact he is being quoted shows the quality of the job he has done so far.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Mon Sep 12, 2022 11:55 am

As we all seem to be of the opinion that it is too soon for him to be considered by a Premiership club it will probably be announced tomorrow that he has signed a 5 year contract with Brighton. :lol: :lol:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Sep 12, 2022 12:49 pm

BlueBalls wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 11:40 am
Bluemike wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 11:12 am
He won't be going anywhere anytime soon, he's said as much himself, our issues could start if we don't get promotion in May, which of course we will.
I dont think we will get promotion in May.

Itl be by end of April :lol:
Good point, the suns 🌞 got to me, in fact March !!!!

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon Sep 12, 2022 4:07 pm

Thank f*ck we only came 11th last season.

Surely there's young managers who've done as well or even better (on paper) as McK. Liam Manning, leam Richardson, dude from Plymouth, etc. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't swap McK with anyone.... but, on paper, he hasn't achieved bugger all yet. And hopefully he's aware of that and wants to get a promotion on his CV before he moves on.
It's a good setup here for him and he's now got everything in place with new signings. Think he'd be silly to jump now.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Mon Sep 12, 2022 5:01 pm

Tangfastic wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 4:07 pm
Thank f*ck we only came 11th last season.

Surely there's young managers who've done as well or even better (on paper) as McK. Liam Manning, leam Richardson, dude from Plymouth, etc. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't swap McK with anyone.... but, on paper, he hasn't achieved bugger all yet. And hopefully he's aware of that and wants to get a promotion on his CV before he moves on.
It's a good setup here for him and he's now got everything in place with new signings. Think he'd be silly to jump now.
McKenna has bigger profile than any of them given his time at Man U etc

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Sep 12, 2022 5:06 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 11:26 am
33/1 outsider along with dozens of others, not even a proper link, guy from Norway looking hot favourite
It’s very unlikely he’ll even get interviewed for the Brighton job although his odds have shortened from 33/1 to 20/1. The point of the thread is to highlight his attraction to bigger clubs after such a short space of time in management. It also highlights what a brilliant job our recruitment team did identifying him and appointing him.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Sep 12, 2022 6:08 pm

Absolutely, couldn't agree more, I questioned the appointment at first but what a manager we potentially have on our hands.

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Mon Sep 12, 2022 7:43 pm

McKenna has made no secret of the job he really wants - Manchester United. At the moment he might see himself as on track for that ambition but certainly not at the point of departing from Town yet. As others have said, he’s got a great set-up, solid backing and an excellent chance of putting a promotion on his CV.

Next season, I could see a scenario where we make a good start in the championship and the suitors really come calling. My opinion is, if Man U want him, he’ll go no question but a more difficult question is would he move to say West Ham or Palace as a stepping stone? My feeling is only if he feels our ambition is less than theirs. At the moment, it feels as if it’s not.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:12 pm

Good post, JohnnyB……. I reckon if he can manage promo from L1, doing very well in the Champ with Ipswich would be a big enough stepping stone to Man Utd. My opinion of course.

shabba

Post by shabba » Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:45 pm

Can’t agree with that, UTD will generally only hire managers with league titles and European champions league pedigree.

KM would absolutely go to any prem team if they are well run, Ipswich being a solid prem team is a world away right now, even with a solid backing lol at how hard it’s been for many clubs - as said earlier Brighton are the example really / others tend to be yo yo clubs. Wolves might be an exception but they were are struggling now. Plus they were heavily backed too.

Cabanas Blue

Post by Cabanas Blue » Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:58 pm

I don't think we need to worry at the moment, no point IMO of him going to a Championship club but maybe if we are doing well in the Championship next season a premiership club might come calling.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:03 pm

I don’t think KM will be in contention for the ManU job at all. Sure if we’re promoted and do well enough in the Championship there will be interest from other clubs, but I seriously doubt it will be ManU. I’m sure Gamechanger has included a nice little bonus if we go up anyway.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:06 pm

:lol: Must admit, with re to Ipswich Town FC, I do personally live in the dark ages.

Agree with above 3 posts.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:24 pm

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon Sep 12, 2022 11:24 pm

Thanks for that Charny. I think KM has the intelligence to know when he should move on. To be honest, I think it’s insane he’s even being considered for Brighton. It’s the bloody media again Andym! Thank god it’s not another crystal ball to foretell our future! Believe what you wanna believe. :wink:

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Mon Sep 12, 2022 11:28 pm

What I’m saying is I don’t think he’s going anywhere this season and certainly not Man U.

But that’s where he’d ultimately like to be.

https://punditarena.com/football/james- ... ited-exit/

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Sep 13, 2022 3:24 am

10 days of mourning when he does eventually move on.

rossi

Post by rossi » Tue Sep 13, 2022 8:11 am

To me it's perfectly simple. During this season a number of Premier and Championship clubs will be looking for a new manager. Not all of them will necessarily be looking solely at experience and pedigree - some will take the attitude that if somebody is good enough that's all that matters. So, if a club in the top 2 leagues decide that he is good enough, they will at the very least want to enter upon a dialogue with him. Despite what has been said in the past, he is ambitious (as indeed all of us are), and if he is given the opportunity to manage at a higher level I would expect him to take it.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Sep 13, 2022 1:45 pm

If it's as simple as that, then no one should ever moan about the poorer managers ever again ---->> If Hurst or Cook had''ve been any good, they'd have been snapped up before it got REALLY interesting ---->> so what's the point really?

Think people should take a bit of comfort in Tangs belief, (and mine too), that in reality , he's done fk all yet. He's doing immensely well, but absolutely fk all goals are even close to being reached yet ----->> on track though.

rossi

Post by rossi » Tue Sep 13, 2022 2:00 pm

marko69 wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 1:45 pm
If it's as simple as that, then no one should ever moan about the poorer managers ever again ---->> If Hurst or Cook had''ve been any good, they'd have been snapped up before it got REALLY interesting ---->> so what's the point really?

Think people should take a bit of comfort in Tangs belief, (and mine too), that in reality , he's done fk all yet. He's doing immensely well, but absolutely fk all goals are even close to being reached yet ----->> on track though.
You missed the point entirely. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder - my point was that a team looking for a manager will be interested in whomever THEY perceive to be a good fit. Doesn't matter what KM has or has not achieved - if another club thinks he is good then they will be interested. Despite what has been said, if Brighton or any other Premier or Championship team thinks KM is good then they'll offer him the job - and I doubt he would refuse the opportunity to manage at a higher level.

Hurst and Cook were not snapped up before we got them because nobody else thought they were any good. But presumably ME thought they were good, otherwise he would not have engaged them. The rest - as they say - is history.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Sep 13, 2022 2:45 pm

rossi wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 2:00 pm
marko69 wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 1:45 pm

You missed the point entirely. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder - my point was that a team looking for a manager will be interested in whomever THEY perceive to be a good fit. Doesn't matter what KM has or has not achieved - if another club thinks he is good then they will be interested. Despite what has been said, if Brighton or any other Premier or Championship team thinks KM is good then they'll offer him the job - and I doubt he would refuse the opportunity to manage at a higher level.

Hurst and Cook were not snapped up before we got them because nobody else thought they were any good. But presumably ME thought they were good, otherwise he would not have engaged them. The rest - as they say - is history.
Understand completely 👍

One extra point is this……. Ipswich Town really do need to gain that extra pulling power and get into the Championship at the very least , because as it stands, there won’t be any long term security
——->> manager sucks = sacked, (same across the board really)
——->> manager shows promise = snapped up.

Everyone must be praying the current form keeps up and maybe even open a gap at the top. Make it convincing in the quest for tier 2. 👍

But the football these days ——->> Fergie & Wenger days are over…….. even Tuchel (imo) was a wrong sacking.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue Sep 13, 2022 2:52 pm

It's looking like Phoenix Rising will be looking for a new manger soon judging by the standings. Hopefully, KM won't be tempted... :lol:

https://www.uslchampionship.com/league-standings

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Sep 13, 2022 2:59 pm

Oh dear. :shock:

Is the pension pot invested in them too?

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Wed Sep 14, 2022 2:16 am

Somehow view it as McKenna won't move on from here until this club is back to Championship League status. Could be next year, looking probable, but you can't make such judgment while in September. If we fail, If being the operative word, would expect the manager to remain in place and give it another season or two to see if he can hit that target. He's got a job to do with us, seems committed and focus only on what's best for this club name.

May just keep at it until we're back as a EPL team once again. May sound outlandish but as we got a very good chance of going up next year, may just allow it a year or two in the Second League and see what he can put together. If in three years from now we haven't made a return to the Premier League then guess he'll accept he's gone as far as his abilities here will allow.