League 1 - Sheffield Wednesday vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Biggest Test Of The Season Yet?

Owls Win
20%
Town Win
25%
Draw
55%

Total votes: 20

Frosty
Forum Owner

League 1 - Sheffield Wednesday vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Frosty » Wed Sep 14, 2022 9:51 pm

Image Sheffield Wednesday v Ipswich TownImage

Saturday 17th September 2022 – 15:00

Hillsborough Stadium

Pre-Match Thoughts - Bluemike

Town got back into League action Tuesday evening with a visit to Portman Road from Bristol Rovers who have had an up and down start to life back in League One so far, with Town still unbeaten and sitting top of the pile it gave us an excellent chance to build on our promising start and so it proved. From the get go it was Town very much in the ascendancy with chances aplenty, the bar and keeper coming to their rescue very early doors. It set the tone for virtually the entire game with the Boy's in Blue playing some super stuff at times, some of the build up play as good as anything I have witnessed from a Town team in years.

With Morsy and the very impressive Lee Evans pulling the strings in Midfield Town were on the front foot with a very good tempo to their game, Davis at LWB was proving to be a very good outlet and was having a fair measure of success in getting delivery into the box, as is always the case Conor Chaplin was the link man in everything good from Town and it came as no surprise when Chaplin bagged his Sixth of the season to put Town in front, skipper Morsy setting him up with a tidy pass across the Rovers box. It was no more than we deserved and in truth even at that early stage it should have been Three or Four.

As is often the case with Town the second goal failed to arrive when we were well on top and that can sometimes lead to disaster which very nearly happened with the whistle close to going for half time. A rare rovers foray into our half saw a worldy of a shot come back off the bar and away to safety, with Town struggling to clear their lines Christian Walton was finally called into action as he pulled off a smart save down to his Left, which by the way was going wide anyway but it gave us a warning as to what can happen, even when totally on top and in control.

The second half was to be a little less One sided but the game as a contest was over ten minutes into the half as Lee Evans fired home from distance to give us the comfort that a second goal brings. What followed was several chances for Town and another decent save from Walton as Town more than saw the game out to it's conclusion and in doing so secured another Three points with top spot still ours to lose.

I thought in the first half it was as good as anything we have seen from a Town team in years, I often have a look at the comments of the opposition fans and they were largely of the opinion we were a cut above and way ahead of anything else they have played this season, which included Portsmouth so that has to be a good confidence booster for us going into some trickier games over the next few weeks.

We move on to One of those trickier games this weekend with a trip to Hillsborough and Sheffield Wednesday, it will be a good test for Town and hopefully come the end of the game we will have convinced a few of the "we haven't played anyone yet" brigade that we can compete with the best, in fact we could be saying we are the best !! What we have to remember is we won't be unbeaten in Forty Six games, we will have bad days, we won't win every away game despite winning the first Four, I just hope we go out and do ourselves proud and show the less confident among us that we will be ok.

Wednesday have, as expected, started pretty well and sit in Fourth place, but they have lost Twice in the last Five outings and have slipped Four points behind Town which shows how good we have started the season ourselves. Barnsley went to Hillsborough and came away with a comprehensive two goal victory, yes the same Barnsley we should have beaten comfortably but for a dodgy ref, the Owls also came home pointless form Peterborough to show they aren't unbeatable by any means. The Wednesday line up boasts some dangerous players with Smith, Bannen, Windass etc all very able players at this level.

Town need fear nobody, yes we will lose games, this could be the first One but at our best we can win anywhere so we need to go into it with the same belief and conviction as we have with most other games, our strength in depth is as good as anyone's and could be the difference but I am going for a score draw here to maintain our unbeaten start and with Plymouth and Portsmouth meeting we could yet come out of the weekend set of fixtures still top of the League.

The Opposition – Sheffield Wednesday Honours

League

First Division/Premier League

Champions (4): 1902–03, 1903–04, 1928–29, 1929–30

Second Division/Championship

Champions (5): 1899–1900, 1925–26, 1951–52, 1955–56, 1958–59
Runners-up (2): 1949–50, 1983–84
Promoted (1): 1990–91

Third Division/League One

Runners-up (1): 2011–12
Promoted (1): 1979–80
Play-off winners (1): 2004–05

Football Alliance (1)

Champions (1): 1889–90

Cup

FA Cup

Winners (3): 1895–96, 1906–07, 1934–35
Runners-up (3): 1889-90, 1965–66, 1992–93

Football League Cup

Winners (1): 1990–91
Runners-up (1): 1992–93

FA Community Shield

Winners (1): 1935
Runners-up (1): 1930

The Manager – Darren Moore

League Table

Form Guide

Sheffield Wednesday

20 Aug Bolton 0 - 2 Sheffield Wed

27 Aug Sheffield Wed 5 - 0 Forest Green

3 Sep Sheffield Wed 0 - 2 Barnsley

10 Sep Plymouth pp. Sheffield Wed

13 Sep Morecambe 0 - 3 Sheffield Wed

Ipswich Town

20 Aug Shrewsbury 0 - 3 Ipswich Town

27 Aug Ipswich Town 2 - 2 Barnsley

3 Sep Accrington 0 - 2 Ipswich Town

10 Sep Ipswich Town pp. Cambridge Utd

13 Sep Ipswich Town 2 - 0 Bristol Rovers

Head to Head

Match Referee – Peter Wright

SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY 0 IPSWICH TOWN 1

marko69
Global Moderator

Re: League 1 - Sheffield Wednesday vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by marko69 » Wed Sep 14, 2022 10:28 pm

Excellent write up on what is arguably going to be the biggest game of the season really in terms of opposition and venue........, certainly the first fixture I looked for; Wednesday away. Massive game. Why is it not on SKYTV on Sunday?

Without tempting fate or jinxing anythting......, this game will be the game that shows what Ipswich are made of, ...., NOT because Sheff Weds can be deemed better, but because it'll be a much more open "Championship-like" game of football. If Ipswich can win this, then chat of "Title Challengers" would be legitimate. Definitely in my opinion.
Bannan is the one for me. Close him down and mark him out of the game, then it'll be a large percentage achieved.

Picked win in the poll....., but a hard fought 1-1 would not be a disaster by any means at all. Let the fans see match stats like they were vs Bristol Rovers. Out of the box flying, go for the jugular like teams try and do @ Portman Road. Hassle them from the off!
1-2 Ipswich Town with the late-ish winner so that all the coach journeys home can BOUNCY BOUNCY!!!
COYB'S

Just to say, regarding League One......, Sunderland, who really struggled in the league before promo are sitting 6th in the Champ with a nice 3-0 away win tonight vs Reading who are 4th. Thriving playing teams who all want to win in their quest for the EPL --->> not sitting back & defending. Without sounding like a 13 years old stuck record; Mevans was stung by Roy, Mick could've done it! Roy "King C" (no, not Charles) Keane.

Darren Moore caption:

Interviewer: "Thanks for the pre-match interview, Darren. What are the pies like here?"
Darren: (Picture)

Ref Caption:

Darren Morgan to Ref: "Interviewer just asked me what the pies are like."
Ref: (Picture)
Darren: "Oh dear. Take it you've had one?"

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Thu Sep 15, 2022 11:10 am

The referee does not look old enough to have enough experience to referee this type of game. What is EFL thinking🤔

Denny61

Post by Denny61 » Thu Sep 15, 2022 11:34 am

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Sep 15, 2022 12:43 pm

BlueBalls wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 12:11 pm
mendipblue wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 11:10 am
The referee does not look old enough to have enough experience to referee this type of game. What is EFL thinking🤔
Only old people think age is a factor in life.
Yeah I'm old.

And yep, Mendip....., thought the same. Big game. Big mad Wednesday support. And a ref who has to show ID for 4 cans. Not doubting the ability to referee....., doubting the choice due to occasion only.

Again though, as Balls alludes to ---->> that could be old as the hills "Ipswich are still elite" thinking.

rossi

Post by rossi » Thu Sep 15, 2022 1:35 pm

mendipblue wrote:
He looks to be in the same age bracket as KM - so using your logic, what was ITFC thinking in appointing KM as manager?

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Thu Sep 15, 2022 5:44 pm

mendipblue wrote:
He’s referred one of our games before v Rotherham (a) towards the end of last season when we lost 1-0.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Sep 15, 2022 6:09 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 5:44 pm
mendipblue wrote:
He’s referred one of our games before v Rotherham (a) towards the end of last season when we lost 1-0.
To who? Someone who can legally drive?

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Thu Sep 15, 2022 7:01 pm

He was the pr*ck who sent Dozzell off at Sunderland and gave them a controversial penalty a couple of seasons ago so he owes us. Just hope he has improved ffs?

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Thu Sep 15, 2022 7:02 pm

?

Cabanas Blue

Post by Cabanas Blue » Thu Sep 15, 2022 7:38 pm

I think this will be a Draw 1-1 but a win for Town would be lovely.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Fri Sep 16, 2022 2:50 pm

That kid is too young to referee a game of this nature. By all means pick him for one of those trivial sh*t Cup games we've had, but for a League fixture of some importance, you don't select someone just out of Junior High. Just hope our players do the what's asked of them and the kid has a quiet game and doesn't have to involve himself too much.

Voted to draw, 1 - 1`apears about right. We keep the unbeaten run intact and dependant on other scores get to keep first place in the league. Won't be easy but to take a result from there seems well within our capabilities.

SWFC 1 ITFC 1

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Fri Sep 16, 2022 3:26 pm

Can’t make my mind up about how this one will go. I guess this is uncharted territory- a game against a proper football club who have every claim to belong in the division above.

They have decent players - no doubt - but so do we.

I’ve gone for a high scoring draw 2-2 but this could go either way

Denny61

Post by Denny61 » Sat Sep 17, 2022 1:37 am

Hate saying this but can't see us getting anything from this game..im going for a 3 1 defeat to.town ..we haven't been tested by any of the big boys yet ..they are on a roll plus a big crowd behind them.

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Sat Sep 17, 2022 9:05 am

Love a win but a draw would be a fair result.

2 - 2

Andym

Post by Andym » Sat Sep 17, 2022 9:51 am

A draw would keep us on top, a defeat could see us drop to 3rd. Expecting our first defeat while hoping for a win; it'll be the first real test of our defence. 2-0 loss.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Sep 17, 2022 12:44 pm

Really looking forward to this one. Its a biggie.

Bit of doubts from some showing regarding how good we are which is understandable - seeing as we've had false dawns before. Too early to know yet - but I genuinely think we're a better side than the end of last season.

I remember 3 seasons ago under Lambert where we were unbeaten in October and this league looked a piece of p*ss until we met Accrington on Sky TV and got beat and then ran into Rotherham who completely schooled us. And then this league got a lot harder. That memory lurks with me, but I think we're better able to cope. I think we've got a tougher and resiliant squad of players now. Sheff Wed feels like Rotherham and a real test.

Win, lose or draw.... Still think we're in a better place than last season.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Sep 17, 2022 12:48 pm

Tang, I would be totally amazed if ANYONE cannot see the difference in our squad and quality of Football now compared with "back then " it's light years ahead, that said this is a tough game today for sure.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Sep 17, 2022 2:02 pm

John-Jules & Jackson in for Ladapo & Harness, don't agree with that selection, first error for me from KM, defeat today.

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Sat Sep 17, 2022 2:07 pm

I put Harness as first scorer - could still happen tho :wink:

Can’t really see what Jackson brings that Ladapo can’t - pace I guess

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Sat Sep 17, 2022 2:11 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Sep 17, 2022 2:02 pm
John-Jules & Jackson in for Ladapo & Harness, don't agree with that selection, first error for me from KM, defeat today.
Yep totally agree

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Sep 17, 2022 2:46 pm

No, don't also like Ladapo and Harness being dropped. Is McKenna trying to be too cute? Why not stick with the first choice players against a top side.

Cabanas Blue

Post by Cabanas Blue » Sat Sep 17, 2022 2:46 pm

I can't understand Jackson up front he has pace but does nothing IMO.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sat Sep 17, 2022 2:49 pm

JohnnyB wrote:
Sat Sep 17, 2022 2:07 pm
I put Harness as first scorer - could still happen tho :wink:

Can’t really see what Jackson brings that Ladapo can’t - pace I guess
...and I put Ladapo as mine! :? Likewise, hoping he still could be. A lot of my justification is his recent scoring record at Hillsborough! A goal there for Rotherham in each of the last two seasons! Said to a mate, i reckon he'll open his league account in this fixture! If he comes on a scores a 90th minute winner, as in March 2021, i would gladly take that! Maybe that's Keiran's plan? :lol:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Sep 17, 2022 3:05 pm

An early Walton f*ck up

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Sep 17, 2022 3:06 pm

Get in !!!!! Jackson
Well done Edmundson

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Sep 17, 2022 3:06 pm

Jackson couldnt hit a barn door.

Cabanas Blue

Post by Cabanas Blue » Sat Sep 17, 2022 3:07 pm

Cabanas Blue wrote:
Sat Sep 17, 2022 2:46 pm
I can't understand Jackson up front he has pace but does nothing IMO.
Told you he's rubbish 😂😂😂

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Sep 17, 2022 3:08 pm

What do I know lol

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sat Sep 17, 2022 3:09 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Sep 17, 2022 2:02 pm
Hey, what do we know?! :wink: :lol: :lol: