League 1 - Sheffield Wednesday vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Biggest Test Of The Season Yet?

Owls Win
20%
Town Win
25%
Draw
55%

Total votes: 20

Andym

Re: League 1 - Sheffield Wednesday vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Andym » Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:01 am

I remember reading a bit by Gareth Southgate before the last World Cup. He’s been analysing German tabs and looking for the reasons for their regular success. He realised that, among other factors, they rarely conceded free kicks in the defensive third of the pitch. It’s not rocket science. And as has been said above, when they are needless fouls, it’s very frustrating.
Of course the other side to that is that when you concede free kicks, you need to defend them better!

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:21 am

Even though we've improved at set-pieces, I don't think we're anywhere near other teams.

With certain teams, I get a sense of doom when they're lining up a free-kick, corner or even a long throw-in. The way an opposition player is poised to take a free-kick and the way we set up defensively makes it look like its going to be a dangerous freekick at pace. I wouldn’t feel anywhere as confident if we had an offensive set-piece.

Something to improve on. Our own set-pieces and defending them.

Andym

Post by Andym » Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:44 am

Tangfastic wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:21 am
Even though we've improved at set-pieces, I don't think we're anywhere near other teams.

With certain teams, I get a sense of doom when they're lining up a free-kick, corner or even a long throw-in. The way an opposition player is poised to take a free-kick and the way we set up defensively makes it look like its going to be a dangerous freekick at pace. I wouldn’t feel anywhere as confident if we had an offensive set-piece.

Something to improve on. Our own set-pieces and defending them.
Agree completely

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:53 am

The thing is our clean sheet record under Mckenna is phenomenal so we can't be conceding that often from them but I do get what you are saying, you never really feel comfortable but the stats read out yesterday on clean sheets were just incredible.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Sep 18, 2022 10:01 am

Bluemike wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:53 am
The thing is our clean sheet record under Mckenna is phenomenal so we can't be conceding that often from them but I do get what you are saying, you never really feel comfortable but the stats read out yesterday on clean sheets were just incredible.
You're right - defensive record is very good. But I also feel its something we should be better at. Got to say - Burgess is our best defender at set-pieces. Gets his head onto a lot of balls.

Top of the league, unbeaten and if we get good results against Plymouth and Pompey this result looks even better.

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Sun Sep 18, 2022 11:40 am

I haven’t actually watched many games this season on ifollow but I thoroughly enjoyed the match yesterday. Two good sides battling away in a decent stadium with a great atmosphere. I think all in all, a draw was a fair result although you’ve got to be disappointed to throw away a two goal lead.

KMc will have learnt a lot from that, maybe more than if we’d pulled off the win. Observations from me:

- Jackson can do a tactical job and had a great game.
- Don’t give away free kicks in the final third - particularly when Bannon’s on the field
- the team look good, well drilled and neat and tidy but once they’d scored Wednesday put us under serious pressure and might have even won it at the death
- it was 100% offside
- the ref was beyond terrible

We live on to fight another day, top of the league and undefeated. Personally I think Plymouth and Pompey will offer less

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Sun Sep 18, 2022 4:19 pm

Pains me to say it but i think the second goal is onside.
The ball is played foward and striker moves forward but when its played he is behind the ball.

Anyway Ipswich look the real deal this season and have every chance of top 2 place.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Sep 18, 2022 4:56 pm

valleyroad wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 4:19 pm
The ball is played foward and striker moves forward but when its played he is behind the ball.

Anyway Ipswich look the real deal this season and have every chance of top 2 place.
Valley, ive watched it a few times and every time tried to take my blue-tinted specs off - but every time I think its clearly offside. Doesn't matter , it still counts and we shouldn't have let them put a cross in.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Sun Sep 18, 2022 5:45 pm

Tangfastic wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 4:56 pm
valleyroad wrote:

Valley, ive watched it a few times and every time tried to take my blue-tinted specs off - but every time I think its clearly offside. Doesn't matter , it still counts and we shouldn't have let them put a cross in.
Just shows how hard it is when you get one look, we have looked multiple times and disagree 😁
I agree that it counts and need to stop the cross. Thing is next match Town could be on the other side of this kind of decision
As an ex ref i hated running the line much preferred in the middle !!

MasseyFerguson

Post by MasseyFerguson » Sun Sep 18, 2022 10:32 pm

valleyroad wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 5:45 pm
Tangfastic wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 4:56 pm
valleyroad wrote:

Just shows how hard it is when you get one look, we have looked multiple times and disagree 😁
I agree that it counts and need to stop the cross. Thing is next match Town could be on the other side of this kind of decision
As an ex ref i hated running the line much preferred in the middle !!
I watched the highlights again and freeze framed at the point where the cross was made. I have to say that it is very, very tight. In the moment, it looked yards offside. It's the sort of decision that would normally be flagged, because Smith's momentum had him ahead of the last defender almost immediately. On balance, and I hate say it, I think Smith was just on.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Sep 19, 2022 3:41 pm

Steve

Post by Steve » Mon Sep 19, 2022 6:57 pm

Who seriously believe that second goal was on-side? Seriously, come on. The goal would of been struck off if VAR was used

On another note, looks like Sheffield Wednesday will be investigated over the objects thrown onto field of play.

Really feel the officials fell short and reacted from intimidation from the crowed. The crowed were hostile and even turning onto their own manager and players. Like was said before the game the officials really needed to be hardened and experienced, maybe the powers will look at how they appoint officials for so called big games.

We didn't lose and we showed that in the main we can more than just compete with the likes of Wednesday

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon Sep 19, 2022 8:49 pm

I’m hearing J Vardy may be on his way to Wednesday

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:45 pm

number 9 wrote:
Mon Sep 19, 2022 8:49 pm
That would be a strange move given he only signed a new contract until 2024 less than than 4 weeks ago when Manchester United we’re sniffing around as a short term fix for their goal drought.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:50 pm

Steve wrote:
Mon Sep 19, 2022 6:57 pm
Who seriously believe that second goal was on-side? Seriously, come on. The goal would of been struck off if VAR was used

On another note, looks like Sheffield Wednesday will be investigated over the objects thrown onto field of play.

Really feel the officials fell short and reacted from intimidation from the crowed. The crowed were hostile and even turning onto their own manager and players. Like was said before the game the officials really needed to be hardened and experienced, maybe the powers will look at how they appoint officials for so called big games.

We didn't lose and we showed that in the main we can more than just compete with the likes of Wednesday
100% offside for me. That’s how I saw it live and that’s how I see it now. We were definitely deprived of 2 extra points by poor officials.

I know officials need to get experience in bigger games, but League 1 has a few exceptionally big games with huge partisan crowds that lower league referees would not have any experience of officiating at. These games will most likely only involve teams like Town, Derby, Pompey and Sheff Wed so are few and far between and should in my opinion have officials appointed with Championship larger crowd experience.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:00 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Mon Sep 19, 2022 3:41 pm
Changed my mind its offside. Thats a better freeze frame than i could get 😁
You can see it from the cut of the grass.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:05 pm

valleyroad wrote:
Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:00 pm
Bluemike wrote:
That’s the same pic I saw on ITFC’s Facebook page on Saturday evening and the one which made my mind up 100%. When it’s that clear cut officials really shouldn’t be getting it wrong especially when there are no other players in the linesman’s line of sight.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:18 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:45 pm
number 9 wrote:
Mon Sep 19, 2022 8:49 pm
That would be a strange move given he only signed a new contract until 2024 less than than 4 weeks ago when Manchester United we’re sniffing around as a short term fix for their goal drought.
He’s from that area I believe. Let’s face it, Leicester are going down. Brendan will probably end up being WH manager when Moyes gets fired. Vardy is getting older. No way will Ten Hag sign a washed up striker.
Last edited by number 9 on Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:20 pm

Would you please stop on the offside! Game over who cares!

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:24 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:05 pm
valleyroad wrote:
Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:00 pm
Bluemike wrote:
That’s the same pic I saw on ITFC’s Facebook page on Saturday evening and the one which made my mind up 100%. When it’s that clear cut officials really shouldn’t be getting it wrong especially when there are no other players in the linesman’s line of sight.
Believe me that is as difficult a decision as you will get on the line. It happens unbelievably fast especially at top level. I'd say linesman has given benefit of doubt to attacking team. The blink of an eye can change your view.
The other thing is you need to line it correctly but on that pic for me he is off
Here's hoping that Town are on the right side of one of those when it really counts.

Steve

Post by Steve » Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:57 pm

Valley.. I get what you say and fact is its done, time to move on but, however. That's a clear offside as likely to get. Its not even close. Clear daylight between the attackers and defensive players. Yes they have a hard job but they choose to do it. The offside is not even close, as been mentioned no players in eyesight. Officials should be getting those ones right.

For life of me I cannot see any reason why that was not given offside. If the assistant was not up with play then why wasn't he?

Anyway. Still top of the league and in much better place than were last season

rossi

Post by rossi » Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:59 am

I'm not 100% convinced it was offside, as the camera angle makes it really difficult for my eyes to judge, and it's got nothing to do with the cut of the grass as the camera angle will distort that too.

But it's interesting - many are saying we've now been robbed of 4 points so far this season due to poor decisions. Isn't that what VAR is for? To decide on mistakes? And yet many on this board are dead against VAR. Well, you can't have it both ways. Either introduce VAR and reduce the number of poor decisions (assuming that VAR is operated correctly), or accept that most officials are crap and that mistakes and poor decisions will inevitably be made.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:19 am

I don't want VAR, I want numbskulls to do their jobs, miles offside.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:00 pm

Finding it hard to believe that it even warranted a discussion. Could’ve cycled a Boris Bike with fat b*stard Boris on it through that offside gap.
Valley……. Great win v Celtic and all that but once you’re done celebrating, get yersel tae Specsavers, man! :lol:

rossi

Post by rossi » Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:44 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:19 am
I don't want VAR, I want numbskulls to do their jobs, miles offside.
Don't we all - trouble is we don't live in a perfect world.

VAR is used in the Premiership, and every week overturns a number of mistakes/bad decisions made by the officials. Not just one or two, but a number. PL officials are 2 levels above the dross that we get, so if PL officials make plenty of mistakes what chance do we in lowly League 1 have? Like it or loathe it, VAR does correct mistakes most of the time - if you don't want it then fine but just accept that officials at this level are going to get plenty of things wrong.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Sep 20, 2022 5:08 pm

But every week Gary ? Surely they can have a good day occasionally, and it's not just us that suffer, it's across the board.

rossi

Post by rossi » Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:33 am

Bluemike wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 5:08 pm
But every week Gary ? Surely they can have a good day occasionally, and it's not just us that suffer, it's across the board.
I know it beggars belief, Mike, that people are being well paid to do a job and are failing to deliver - but it's happening consistently across all levels of referees and linesmen. I think the odd one will have the occasional good day, but there's too few really good officials and no consistency among the lesser ones. But you are right, all teams across the board will suffer from bad decisions over the course of a season. VAR is not the be0all and end-all, but if operated properly will prevent most of the really bad mistakes.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:28 am

There are a very small number of really good referees who don’t buckle under pressure of a massive home support. Steven McLean up here in Scotland is a very good referee. Not scared to award penalties (that are in fact penalties) in front of a huge crowd of angry fans.

But too many refs are crowd listeners. How many times does a player collapse like he’s had an aneurism, theres that 1 second gap, crowd scream, “woh ref?” ——>> ref blows whistle.

Its a horrific job but 🤷‍♂️…… they chose to do it. Maybe what they didn’t factor into their choices was the fact that players would become increasingly more dishonest and its basically loaded with cheating bastards. And THAT is all the FA’s fault, UEFA’s fault, FIFA’s fault. Putting in better and more concrete rules for feigning injury, falling like you’ve been struck by lightening, and time wasting (subs etc) then maybe the job becomes easier. Because as of right now, players are getting away with their bullshit.

Its in the refs interest to get the game sorted out.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Wed Sep 21, 2022 3:04 pm

rossi wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:59 am
I know it beggars belief, Mike, that people are being well paid to do a job and are failing to deliver - but it's happening consistently across all levels of referees and linesmen. I think the odd one will have the occasional good day, but there's too few really good officials and no consistency among the lesser ones. But you are right, all teams across the board will suffer from bad decisions over the course of a season. VAR is not the be0all and end-all, but if operated properly will prevent most of the really bad mistakes.
To get to top in refereeing in England you have to be exceptional and to get to the PL even better.
A good few really good Championship officials have struggled at PL level.
Most officials are anything but crap, the one thing they all are though is human beings.

VAR is a good thing as it takes away the majority of human error. Its not full proof though as its human beings that are operating it and some decisions again are borderline. Its been very interesting seeing the focus of abuse going now to VAR officials. What is worse if the referee now feeling so intimidated that they accept virtually every VAR referral.

One of the other issues is a society issue where the level of abuse through social media and society in general has risen to such a level that many young man and women will not want to do it. Which just makes the situation worse !

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:22 pm

marko69 wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:00 pm
Finding it hard to believe that it even warranted a discussion. Could’ve cycled a Boris Bike with fat b*stard Boris on it through that offside gap.
Valley……. Great win v Celtic and all that but once you’re done celebrating, get yersel tae Specsavers, man! :lol:
Wasn't going to mention 1-0