League 1 - Port Vale vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Can we back up our performance from Friday?

Vale Win
6%
Town Win
78%
Draw
17%

Total votes: 18

Frosty
Forum Owner

League 1 - Port Vale vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Frosty » Mon Oct 24, 2022 3:59 am

Image Port Vale FC vs Ipswich TownImage

Tuesday 25th October 19:45

Vale Park

Pre-Match Thoughts - Bluemike

Following on from the Lincoln City defeat it was imperative that Town got back to winning ways Friday evening but with a sell out crowd and the SKY cameras in attendance there were many fans having doubts about the outcome, add to that tricky opposition in Derby County and this promised to be a real test for the boys in Blue, or should I say Black ! Thankfully Town rose to the occasion and ground out a massive win to secure the Three valuable points to maintain our push at the top of the table.

The game itself while not a classic was enjoyable and entertaining as both teams went for it with no holding back or parking the bus. derby started the brighter and controlled the opening few minutes but Town were soon to find their feet and begin to take the game to our visitors. Clear cut chances were going to be at a premium although both Burns and TJJ had chances in the opening quarter with TJJ in particular failing when he should have done better. Town were appealing for a penalty inside Twenty minutes when TJJ was felled in the box but the referee adjudged it to be a fair tackle by the Derby defender much to the Town mans dismay, slow motion replays seem to suggest the official got it right.

It was certainly not all One way traffic as derby got forward in numbers when they could and there was a real scramble inside the Town box on more than one occasion although Walton in the Town goal was still untested as the game moved towards half time. Town finished the half the stronger but again like Derby were not really testing the visiting keeper. Town had showed enough to suggest that this game was there for the taking although Derby had also showed they were not a soft touch.

Town again found themselves on the front foot as the second half got underway, Kayden Jackson had been a real hand full to the derby defence all game and his pace and movement were definitely a big advantage to Town and so it was to prove as Town were to grab the lead they just about deserved mid way through the second half. A under hit back pass by Davies sold Wildsmith in the rams got short and the lightening fast Jackson seized upon the loose ball to round the keeper and shoot for goal, incredibly he found the foot of the near post when it seemed impossible to miss but for once this season the ball fell kindly as Wes Burns picked up the rebound before composing himself and firing into the empty net. The players celebrated big time as the fans went absolutely wild behind the goal, in fact all around the stadium, it was a crucial moment in a game that really needed to be won.

Town did not sit back and continued to take the game to derby, Jackson involved in most of what we were doing in the final Third, one deflected clearance pinging of the striker before just creeping the wrong side of the post, from the resulting corner Burns had an effort blocked before Town old boy David McGoldrick tripped Burns in the box to gift us a great opportunity to secure the win from the penalty spot. Jackson was clearly oozing confidence as he grabbed the ball before placing it on the spot, sadly the spot kick was weak and easily saved although the keeper was way off his line and it should have been a retake. The miss ensured a nervy few minutes but the closest Derby came was a long range effort from McGoldrick which Walton tipped away even though it was going wide.

It was a massive win that ended One or Two hoodoo's and it also saw us close in to within Two points of early pace setters Plymouth Argyle who dropped points at Bristol Rovers having been Two goals up. It was a good, solid, workmanlike performance from Town with Morsy, Harness, Jackson and Davis all having good evenings, the only downside was skipper Morsy's Fifth Yellow card of the season to rule him out of Tuesday's trip to Vale Park, in form Lee Evans must also be a doubt as he hobbled off with a knee injury.

So it is Port Vale up next for Town as we look to keep the pressure on Plymouth, the Vale have had a decent enough start to life in League One and are currently in mid division in the table, some notable results should not go amiss by Town, most notably their recent 1-2 win away at Derby who were no easy opponents. A certain Ellis Harrison is currently plying his trade in Burslem with the Valiants and he already has Seven goals to his name this campaign, while it never really worked out for Ellis at Portman Road he has shown he can score goals and will be one to watch. Vale have also had a good win at Cambridge and a 1-1 draw at Barnsley so they will be no pushovers, Town will need to be on their game if they are to come away with the points and with the potential loss of both Midfielders in will be a real test but it also gives others a chance to come in and stake a claim, Dom Ball is a natural replacement while young Cameron Humphreys has shown he has what it takes to step in when called upon.

As I say every week I really fancy Town every game and this One is no different, with Two away games in Five days I would take Four points from those games, with Charlton looking the harder of the Two on paper how good would it be to go to the Valley with another Three points under our belts. It could happen, I think it will. Town win. COYB'S

The Opposition – Port Vale FC Honours

League

Football League Third Division / Third Division North / League One

Champions: 1929–30, 1953–54
2nd place promotion: 1993–94
Play-off winners: 1988–89

Football League Fourth Division / League Two

Champions: 1958–59[93]
3rd place promotion: 1982–83, 2012–13
4th place promotion: 1969–70, 1985–86
Play-off winners: 2021–22

Cups

Football League Trophy

Winners: 1993, 2001

The Manager – Darrell Clarke

League Table as at 24th October 2022

Form Guide

Port Vale FC

24 Sep Peterborough 3 - 0 Port Vale

1 Oct Port Vale 0 - 1 Sheffield Wed

8 Oct Derby County 1 - 2 Port Vale

15 Oct Port Vale 2 - 2 Forest Green

22 Oct Cambridge Utd 0 - 1 Port Vale

Ipswich Town

1 Oct Ipswich Town 3 - 2 Portsmouth

4 Oct Ipswich Town 3 - 0 Cambridge Utd

8 Oct Morecambe 1 - 2 Ipswich Town

15 Oct Ipswich Town 0 - 1 Lincoln City

21 Oct Ipswich Town 1 - 0 Derby County

Head to Head

Match Referee – Andrew Kitchen

PORT VALE 0 IPSWICH TOWN 2

arana peligrosa

Re: League 1 - Port Vale vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by arana peligrosa » Mon Oct 24, 2022 1:24 pm

Had to view opposition last five score as no idea what they've been up to. Kind of surprised to see a win at Derby although in the grand of scheme of things maybe that's not really saying much. Voted for us to win, just imagine we got the players and drive to take something from the trip, wins now are just about imperative in order to remain in contention for auto promotion.

Years back they had John Rudge as manager and put together a tough team that provided a number of standout scores but right now and at this time believe we'll take three points from them. Guess Plymouth will be involved also on the night so here's hoping we win, they drop points.

Port Vale 0 ITFC 2

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Oct 24, 2022 4:41 pm

This to me, is a potentially very big banana skin. We are without 2 very central / influential players in Morsy / Evans, we’ve lost our drive in the middle of the team. Not easily replaced in my view and Port Vale are no mugs. I think we’ll do very given our absentees, to get a point. Extremely happy to be proved wrong .

1-1

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Oct 24, 2022 5:02 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Mon Oct 24, 2022 4:41 pm
This to me, is a potentially very big banana skin. We are without 2 very central / influential players in Morsy / Evans, we’ve lost our drive in the middle of the team. Not easily replaced in my view and Port Vale are no mugs. I think we’ll do very given our absentees, to get a point. Extremely happy to be proved wrong .

1-1
That's not like you Liz :wink: :lol:

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Oct 24, 2022 5:21 pm

Ha ha I knew you’d comment :lol: :lol: … seriously I can’t help it lol …. And I do think it’s going to be a really tight game lol

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Oct 24, 2022 5:44 pm

All joking aside it won't be easy without Morsy and Evans, both been playing really well, Ball doesn't weaken us though and Humphreys was always gonna be needed at some point so he needs to back up all this talk about what a talent he is, I think we'll be ok

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Mon Oct 24, 2022 6:39 pm

I think we will be ok too Mike, every faith in Ball and Humphreys (sounds like a department store), can see a slim win here. Be nice to see Keezy start an Camara get a run out, get some minutes.

2 - 1 to the blue army!
Last edited by Dazzz67 on Mon Oct 24, 2022 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shabba

Post by shabba » Mon Oct 24, 2022 6:39 pm

Tricky one this, wouldn’t be surprised to see Keogh come in but maybe it’ll just be the regular back four. KVY is out so now there is a lot on Davies to play 90mins constantly.

We’ve covered the midfield, likely Ball and Humpreys- I’m good with that.

However what about the front players? Suspect burns will stay in on the right, Chaplin surely comes back as he didn’t play Friday, harness divided opinions Friday but I was at the game and thought he was very good or does he get a test and Edward’s get a start?

TJJ wasn’t that good Friday, and this might not be the game for Jackson so suspect it’ll be ladapo up top, I’m usually ok with him but he was woeful against derby.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon Oct 24, 2022 6:41 pm

I think Chaplin is due for a goal. It’s got draw written all over it. Hope we can win and keep the pressure on Plymouth & Wednesday.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Oct 24, 2022 7:14 pm

Not sure how anyone could be split on Harness Friday night, he played really well and is so direct and forward thinking which is what we all keep crying out for.

shabba

Post by shabba » Mon Oct 24, 2022 7:33 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Mon Oct 24, 2022 7:14 pm
Not sure how anyone could be split on Harness Friday night, he played really well and is so direct and forward thinking which is what we all keep crying out for.
Agree! Some of the podcasts were saying fans had mixed thoughts from his performance Friday, maybe it looked different on sky?!

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Mon Oct 24, 2022 9:39 pm

Harness showed great energy, I guess the negative would be that he was so eager that his feet had often kicked the ball before he'd calmed down enough to think about what he was doing.

I'm not sure it's a criticism really, I like eager, but the whole team showed that, mixed with nerves, it sometimes becomes slightly rash. I think that is the way McKenna wants to play its though, its better to run around like headless chickens, take 30 shots and score thrice, than be more refined and controlled, take 2 shots and score twice.

Andym

Post by Andym » Mon Oct 24, 2022 9:56 pm

A tricky game, a number of players unavailable.
A draw wouldn’t be a disaster.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Oct 24, 2022 10:21 pm

4-0 away win

Can’t help it……… reading posts that Port Vale is a hard game generates OTT optimism. Apologies.

Oops, sorry……. 5-0……. Burns just got a late one.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Oct 24, 2022 10:27 pm

Darrell Clarke caption:
Headline:
US Presidential candidate quits politics and enjoys new job in …….. Stoke, England

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Oct 24, 2022 10:30 pm

Ref caption:
Headline
Ref reads darrell clarke caption.

rossi

Post by rossi » Tue Oct 25, 2022 8:35 am

If we have any aspirations at all of getting automatic promotion then we should not view getting one point at a game such as this as a result. It clearly would be 2 points dropped. I expect that due to injuries KM will make around 5 changes to a winning team instead of his usual 3, but even so if we don't get all 3 points then something will be wrong.
2-0 win for us.

Andym

Post by Andym » Tue Oct 25, 2022 1:10 pm

rossi wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 8:35 am
If we have any aspirations at all of getting automatic promotion then we should not view getting one point at a game such as this as a result. It clearly would be 2 points dropped. I expect that due to injuries KM will make around 5 changes to a winning team instead of his usual 3, but even so if we don't get all 3 points then something will be wrong.
2-0 win for us.
I agree. I didn’t say that a draw would be a goodresult, just that it wouldn’t be a disaster.

rossi

Post by rossi » Tue Oct 25, 2022 1:40 pm

Andym wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 1:10 pm
rossi wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 8:35 am
2-0 win for us.
I agree. I didn’t say that a draw would be a goodresult, just that it wouldn’t be a disaster.
my comment was not aimed at you specifically, Andy :)

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Tue Oct 25, 2022 2:55 pm

i'd have Chaplin and Jackson to start together in a two-man attack or possibly Jules or Ladapo instead of the latter but somehow you know how it's going to be. Aluko can feature in the position later in the game if needs be. Hope Pigott extends his loan away further than time in question, the kid's omission harms the teams promotion objective to little or no extent.

Others like Morsy, Burns, even Harness could be instrumental in a game of this nature if they impose their authority in midfiled zones, it's likely where the game will be won or lost. Simple math here, If we go for it and the players picked work to full effect then we'll most likely take three points from the trip out there.

edit, there may be one or two of the aforementioned names out through injury or possble suspension. It's not always possble for some to be up on team news 24 hours a day 7 days a week.

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Tue Oct 25, 2022 3:19 pm

Aluko is still out injured and Morsy has a match suspension for being a naughty boy lol.

Id personally like to see KD up front backed up by Harness and Chaplin, a lot of pace to catch them out on the counter, we have the beauty of TJJ and Camara to fill in later if needs be. Id of put Camara in straight off but as we already have our two main men out in MF would be too much tinkering.

Davis, Ball, Humphreys and Burns in MF.

Edmundson, Keogh and Donacien at the back with Walton.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue Oct 25, 2022 3:40 pm

Just read Port Vale's pitch is as lumpy as day-old porridge...probably not good for tippy-tappy football. Does KM have a direct route plan B? I still fear this will be an ugly draw, hope I'm wrong of course. Maybe Ladapo will score a hatrick! That would certainly shut me up. :lol:

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Tue Oct 25, 2022 3:44 pm

number 9 wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 3:40 pm
Just read Port Vale's pitch is as lumpy as day-old porridge...probably not good for tippy-tappy football. Does KM have a direct route plan B? I still fear this will be an ugly draw, hope I'm wrong of course. Maybe Ladapo will score a hatrick! That would certainly shut me up. :lol:
The poor quality pitch certainly throws another anomaly into this fixture. Sometimes our passing around at the back worries me, this only heightens that concern!

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Oct 25, 2022 6:49 pm

COYBsssssss 👍

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Oct 25, 2022 6:50 pm

AzzurroMark wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 3:44 pm
number 9 wrote:
The poor quality pitch certainly throws another anomaly into this fixture. Sometimes our passing around at the back worries me, this only heightens that concern!
I’ll put money on it they’ve churned it up deliberately , because they know it’ll stop out fluid passing game . Like I say , they’re no mugs.

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Tue Oct 25, 2022 7:16 pm

Team as predicted Ball and Humphries centre midfield. Ladapo needs to do a lot more tonight especially with this pitch, balls might be in the air more, he needs win it and hold it.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Oct 25, 2022 8:05 pm

Pompey 0-1 down at home 👍

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Oct 25, 2022 8:08 pm

AzzurroMark wrote:
Tue Oct 25, 2022 3:44 pm
number 9 wrote:
I’ve got Port Vale commentary on and they reckon the pitch is looking much better than it has in recent games !

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Oct 25, 2022 8:10 pm

Oct 2, 2022 — Sheffield Wednesday Goal hero Will Vaulks branded the pitch at Port Vale "one of the worst" he has ever played on in his career.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Oct 25, 2022 8:11 pm

What a woeful game so far