League 1 - Ipswich Town vs Cheltenham Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Should be 3 points?

Ipswich Win
93%
Cheltenham Win
7%
Draw
No votes

Total votes: 15

Ricco

Re: League 1 - Ipswich Town vs Cheltenham Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Ricco » Sat Nov 12, 2022 6:17 pm

If the table was based on stats, then we must be able 15pts clear at the top of the table.

They have to work out how to turn stats in to goals, because its getting rediculous!!

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Nov 12, 2022 6:22 pm

Ricco wrote:
Sat Nov 12, 2022 6:17 pm
If the table was based on stats, then we must be able 15pts clear at the top of the table.

They have to work out how to turn stats in to goals, because its getting rediculous!!
Yep. Totally pi$$ed off with stats now. The only stat that is starting to matter as half season approaches is goals……. For winning games, and for getting that GD ^^up^^ to cover over the defence / keeper fk ups.

Start putting these shitty games to bed.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Nov 12, 2022 6:35 pm

Total joke, until we replace Woolfenden in the defence this will continue to happen, he's woeful and thanks to yet another error from him, added to yet another poor piece of goalkeeping from Walton we drop points in a game that we should have won by 5 or 6, Woolfy and Walton need dropping cus even at 1-0 we should have been good enough to see out the game against an absolutely p*ss poor opposition but again we gift them a f**king goal out of nothing. Pissed off tonight beyond belief.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Sat Nov 12, 2022 6:37 pm

:x Walton's near post clanger again has cost us 2pts, as I have stated we need an established pair of strikers who can score fooking goals, I mean 29 bloody shots 4 on target and 1 goal 75% of the possession 15 corners 1 goal this is not solid promotion-winning form, KM needs to get that defense and strikers situation sorted URGENTLY.
Exeter is the next away game I can't see us getting anything from this on this form, drop Walton for Hladky or Colman this is so frustrating for all the fans, it's all very well saying teams like Cheltenham will give us a challenging difficult game well bloody sort it out Kieran as Sheff Wed have its got to be done by the Jan window

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Sat Nov 12, 2022 6:39 pm

And add salt to the wound we lose 2 more players to injury. https://twitter.com/ipswichtown/status/ ... 1864977409

bluejacko

Post by bluejacko » Sat Nov 12, 2022 6:44 pm

This really is starting to be concerning! It is now the norm for Town to take the lead and then gift the opposition an equaliser.
2 nd still at the moment but for how much longer if this trait is not stopped?

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Sat Nov 12, 2022 6:47 pm

What a bloody disappointment, dropping points, could of gained ground and kept a bit of a gap between us an closing pack. What with a oouple of injuries things are getting tight, hope the lads coming back will be just in time.

I think come the new year couple of additions/loans maybe needed.

If we can't beat Cheltenham at home things need to change soon, cannot carry on like this, giving me a migraine.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Nov 12, 2022 6:51 pm

We need a CB to play alongside Burgess and a Striker. ..

What we have isn’t good enough.

DEFENCE:
Their goal came about because yet again a defender didn’t “ deal” with the opponent and a ball in the air.

First rule of defending : don’t let the ball bounce . Woolfie did exactly that and then fartarsed around trying to “ beat” his man with the ball on the ground . F lucking stick it OUT FFS. He liars that battle , meanwhile the majority of our team had gone up the pitch . Easy cross into our box. Soft goal again. Even Waltons Confidence now looks shaky with what’s in front of him in my humble view. As soon as our back line is asked questions of, they’re found wanting .

Defence Not good enough !

Our two first choice CB ‘s CANT HEADER . So Ok now some of you lot will point to the goal we scored . Hallelujah, a defender scored a goal. The point is our defence are powder puff. Cheltenhams defender were better than ours all afternoon. Quicker, decisive, committed, direct.

Another CB is needed to partner Burgess… in my view.

STRIKER:

Ladapo flatters to deceive in my humble view. The ball doesn’t “ stick” to him. Chaplin and Harness had nothing to feed off for most of the game today so we’re ineffective.

Ladapo had bugger all pace snd never truly closes down their GK or any defender on the ball. He gets goals in pairs it seems , then did all in between. I’d hardly say he leads the line.

Ok guy . That’s my take on in feel free to pound me into the ground and down arrow at your leisure. This is how I honestly see it .

Unfortunately I hear we now have significant long term injuries. So I’d our season about to unravel now? I bloody hope not. But until we can finish our chances and defend properly she they are called upon to do so, games like today will continue to happen.

We GAVE them their point.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Nov 12, 2022 7:46 pm

mendipblue wrote:
Sat Nov 12, 2022 6:39 pm
And add salt to the wound we lose 2 more players to injury. https://twitter.com/ipswichtown/status/ ... 1864977409
I don't think this overly affects us tbh, yes Ball is good but by and large a squad player and TJJ can go back for all I care, it actually.makes space in the squad for a new striker.

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:14 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Nov 12, 2022 7:46 pm
mendipblue wrote:
Sat Nov 12, 2022 6:39 pm
I don't think this overly affects us tbh, yes Ball is good but by and large a squad player and TJJ can go back for all I care, it actually.makes space in the squad for a new striker.
Don't disagree. Humphries is good enough to replace Ball. TJJ flatters to deceive but so does Ladapo so we definitely need another striker unless Adhadme comes back scoring for fun.

Andym

Post by Andym » Sat Nov 12, 2022 9:12 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sat Nov 12, 2022 6:51 pm

First rule of defending : don’t let the ball bounce .

Our two first choice CB ‘s CANT HEADER.

Ladapo flatters to deceive in my humble view. The ball doesn’t “ stick” to him.

Ladapo had bugger all pace

Ok guy . That’s my take on in feel free to pound me into the ground and down arrow at your leisure. This is how I honestly see it .

But until we can finish our chances and defend properly she they are called upon to do so, games like today will continue to happen.
I agree with all that. But I would add:

We were so much in control that we pushed up too much and were stretched for their goal. Still shouldn’t have happened though.
But it really shouldn’t have mattered. We had so much possession, so many crosses, so many corners …

We hit the bar and the post, one of which looked like it had crossed the line. But that shouldn’t have mattered either.

When a team defend like they did today, playing balls through the middle have little chance of success. Most of the time we played with width and put the crosses in. But it has been obvious from the start of the season that we have no one in the team who can win a header in the opposition box and score. Corners are a waste of time. Crosses are too. Ladapo Is talk but never gets on the end of a cross. But in fairness, not does anyone else.
We are still playing decent football. And it’s easy to pick on the defensive errors that led to the equaliser. But the real problem is that we aren’t scoring enough. Is not just Ladapo ( even though I haven’t seen anything all season to give me confidence), we MUST but someone - striker or defender - who gets their head on a corner.
If you can forget the result, we’re played well enough. We dominated. The goal we conceded was disappointing but the inability to score from a cross is our biggest problem in my opinion.

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Sat Nov 12, 2022 9:23 pm

We made our own problems again! Woolfie was sh*t and a liability (again) and Walton was poor (again). We play it beautifully side to side but no shots on target! They had 1 attack all game and scored. We had 30 and ended up 1-1. That says it all... 😡 it was a 1-1 annihilation but still not good enough from us. Woolfie should have dealt with it but didn't and as soon as they had an equaliser - guess what... its lets slow the game down time... our fault entirely.

shabba

Post by shabba » Sat Nov 12, 2022 9:58 pm

Some strong reactions here. Personally I feel fairly clam, but naturally frustrated.

For me it’s just fine margins/sliding doors, they were totally beaten after the first goal and if one of our chances soon after goes in then it could have been 6-0. They are gifted a goal and their tails are up.

We really could have won today and likely we’d be saying we found a way to win, fully deserved and made our own luck etc - hence it’s fine margins. I’d MUCH rather we batter a team and feel our luck didn’t come than be sitting here saying ‘we didn’t turn up today, created very little etc’. The performances are there and that’s a solid foundation - the players can and will be improved - either by coaching or transfers, so have faith in the process guys.

If we win vs Exeter it’s still on track with 2 points per game.

Humpreys looked assured today, like he’s played at this level all his life - huge opportunity for him to make a move for a starting place now with Balls injury.

I won’t slate any of them today, they all put the effort in until the last whistle. Walton will be disappointed but calling for him to be dropped is ludicrous and won’t help him or the team long term, overall he is still well in credit this season.

Stay clam, keep the faith, nothing good is ever easy.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Nov 12, 2022 10:10 pm

shabba wrote:
Sat Nov 12, 2022 9:58 pm
We really could have won today and likely we’d be saying we found a way to win, fully deserved and made our own luck etc - hence it’s fine margins.
Everyone WOULD be saying the team found a way to win ——->> not “likely” 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️
Why do people want to spin the sh*t out of the blatantly obvious?
In two games (not in succession) from memory, vs teams who’ll be heading to L2, its been 60 shots with 8 on target and 1 goal.
Jaysus fkn H, start getting a bit clinical and SHOW THE FANS that the team is actually the best in the league.

Just to reiterate……., of course everyone would be waxing lyrical if its 5-0 @ Ht…..,, but it didnt happen ….. and HASNT happened as yet. 🤷‍♂️

Andym

Post by Andym » Sat Nov 12, 2022 10:51 pm

shabba wrote:
Some strong reactions here. Personally I feel fairly clam, but naturally frustrated.

For me it’s just fine margins/sliding doors, they were totally beaten after the first goal and if one of our chances soon after goes in then it could have been 6-0. They are gifted a goal and their tails are up.

We really could have won today and likely we’d be saying we found a way to win, fully deserved and made our own luck etc - hence it’s fine margins. I’d MUCH rather we batter a team and feel our luck didn’t come than be sitting here saying ‘we didn’t turn up today, created very little etc’. The performances are there and that’s a solid foundation - the players can and will be improved - either by coaching or transfers, so have faith in the process guys.

If we win vs Exeter it’s still on track with 2 points per game.

Humpreys looked assured today, like he’s played at this level all his life - huge opportunity for him to make a move for a starting place now with Balls injury.

I won’t slate any of them today, they all put the effort in until the last whistle. Walton will be disappointed but calling for him to be dropped is ludicrous and won’t help him or the team long term, overall he is still well in credit this season.

Stay clam, keep the faith, nothing good is ever easy.
Pretty much agree with this. Just find someone who can win a header and we will be there.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Nov 12, 2022 11:06 pm

The simple stat is this : we’ve won 5 of our 9 home games!

Nowhere near good enough for an automatic promotion chasing side in my view. Our home form is now, and always has been since we’ve been relegated to league one, our Achilles heel and if we’re not careful, it will be again this season.

shabba

Post by shabba » Sat Nov 12, 2022 11:08 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sat Nov 12, 2022 10:10 pm
shabba wrote:
We really could have won today and likely we’d be saying we found a way to win, fully deserved and made our own luck etc - hence it’s fine margins.
Everyone WOULD be saying the team found a way to win ——->> not “likely” 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️
In two games (not in succession) from memory, vs teams who’ll be heading to L2, its been 60 shots with 8 on target and 1 goal.
Jaysus fkn H, start getting a bit clinical and SHOW THE FANS that the team is actually the best in the league.

Just to reiterate……., of course everyone would be waxing lyrical if its 5-0 @ Ht…..,, but it didnt happen ….. and HASNT happened as yet. 🤷‍♂️
The point I’m trying to make is we are SO close now to winning most matches, it won’t always be our day but when it isn’t it wasn’t for lack of effort or dominance.

We have to remember this team had been in league one for four years and NEVER made the play offs, to suddenly go from that to auto promotion contenders in 18months is amazing - yes we have a good budget but it’s not like we’ve dropped 20m on a squad to blitz the league.
It even took Pep a while to get things perfect at city and even then they get the odd bad result even with Haarland, KDB etc.

The foundation is laid now by a great manager with a way of playing which most teams cannot handle. We will get it right if we keep doing the yards.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Nov 12, 2022 11:57 pm

The result today was a very poor outcome from a game which we pretty much dominated throughout apart from a short spell after they scored when we were thrown out of our stride and could easily have conceded a second.

In truth this squad should be comfortably good enough to get promotion this season and we can’t expect the owners to keep shelling out for new players every time we have a transfer window. McKenna's job is to get the best out of his players and a few of them are currently letting him down as was evident this afternoon. It wasn’t just the normal suspects like Walton, Woolfie & Ladapo either, there were a few others not at the best and many of our decent passages of play ended with the ball being either cheaply given away or passed poorly behind the player going forward instead of in front. Our shooting also left a lot to be desired with Burns, Harness, Chaplin and Humphrey’s all fluffing decent scoring opportunities as did Davies & Woolfie with chances to score with headers with only the keeper to beat.

Most teams that struggle to score goals is because they don’t create scoring opportunities which is something we don’t generally struggle with. Our issues are all about the lack of clinical finishing which surely shoukd be able to improved on with good coaching and more practice on the training ground which is where more work is needed.

Luckily today not too much damage was done with only two of the top 6 sides (Sheff Wed & Derby) managing to win which leaves us still in a pretty good position albeit not as good as it could and should have been.

Let’s not panic yet or even start depressing ourselves.

Mariner67

Post by Mariner67 » Sun Nov 13, 2022 12:49 am

We got a draw against opponents that have beaten us before,not the end of the world,Plymouth drew to,I'm not at all surprised by this result.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun Nov 13, 2022 2:37 am

Do you understand now why I was saying we need to strengthen in January?? We’re still in a good position for automatic promotion, but we have to get better. If we don’t, it will be another lost opportunity for promotion.

1-1 vs Cheltenham at home!…poor old Bobby Robson’s corpse will been twitching in his grave! (No disrespect to Sir BR)

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Sun Nov 13, 2022 6:05 am

Don’t love that scoreline.

And don’t love the injury news.

Atm we’re still in the driving seat, in one of the automatic slots. TBH I would worry if we drift out and let Wednesday overtake us. I wouldn’t want the lottery of the playoffs and let’s be honest, anything less than promotion this year would be a massive disappointment.

But there’s plenty of room for optimism still. We have a very talented young manager, a strong squad that is able to absorb injuries and a relatively kind fixture list.

Keep the faith people!

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Nov 13, 2022 8:12 am

shabba wrote:
Sat Nov 12, 2022 11:08 pm
marko69 wrote:
Sat Nov 12, 2022 10:10 pm
shabba wrote:

The point I’m trying to make is we are SO close now to winning most matches, it won’t always be our day but when it isn’t it wasn’t for lack of effort or dominance.

We have to remember this team had been in league one for four years and NEVER made the play offs, to suddenly go from that to auto promotion contenders in 18months is amazing - yes we have a good budget but it’s not like we’ve dropped 20m on a squad to blitz the league.
It even took Pep a while to get things perfect at city and even then they get the odd bad result even with Haarland, KDB etc.

The foundation is laid now by a great manager with a way of playing which most teams cannot handle. We will get it right if we keep doing the yards.
Do we really need to create 30 chances to win games, though? Even if we'd have scored a winner - we're bloody making hard work of it. I don't think we're going to be top two if we have to work so hard to win games. The top teams are usually very clinical and can manage games better and don't give soft goals away. They go on winning runs whilst not playing well and dig out results - we look like we offer results to other teams.
Don't care so much about the odd bad result - but it's become part of our DNA that we don't take advantage of our dominance and always give opposition a sniff. We have got a good team, but they're showing glimpses of a lack of mental toughness that we probably need to get us over the line.
This isn't anti- McKenna, but this is something he needs to sort out.
Sorry, but I don't understand how what we've done is amazing in the time-span. Wigan spent two years in this division- the first year was trying to consolidate and survive after financial turmoil and the next year was promotion. Sorry again.... but ... why is McKenna a great manager? He's achieved nothing so far. It's too early and we're going too much overboard on him. Hes learning his trade and doing a good job... but he's not there yet.

I think we need to stop patting ourselves on the back and looking at the possession and shots stats as a marker for success. Just be more ruthless in both boxes.

We do have a massive financial advantage compared to most and so, therefore, bars get set higher. We've basically squandered 4 points in 2 games. The game before we pissed away a 2 goal lead before we eventually won. Weve wasted so many points whilst in good positions. It' shows a soft underbelly. Something for McKenna to work on.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Nov 13, 2022 9:06 am

Charnwood wrote:
Sat Nov 12, 2022 11:57 pm
The result today was a very poor outcome from a game which we pretty much dominated throughout apart from a short spell after they scored when we were thrown out of our stride and could easily have conceded a second.

In truth this squad should be comfortably good enough to get promotion this season and we can’t expect the owners to keep shelling out for new players every time we have a transfer window. McKenna's job is to get the best out of his players and a few of them are currently letting him down as was evident this afternoon. It wasn’t just the normal suspects like Walton, Woolfie & Ladapo either, there were a few others not at the best and many of our decent passages of play ended with the ball being either cheaply given away or passed poorly behind the player going forward instead of in front. Our shooting also left a lot to be desired with Burns, Harness, Chaplin and Humphrey’s all fluffing decent scoring opportunities as did Davies & Woolfie with chances to score with headers with only the keeper to beat.

Most teams that struggle to score goals is because they don’t create scoring opportunities which is something we don’t generally struggle with. Our issues are all about the lack of clinical finishing which surely shoukd be able to improved on with good coaching and more practice on the training ground which is where more work is needed.

Luckily today not too much damage was done with only two of the top 6 sides (Sheff Wed & Derby) managing to win which leaves us still in a pretty good position albeit not as good as it could and should have been.

Let’s not panic yet or even start depressing ourselves.
I do wonder if we're over-coached at times. Feels like we're trying to score the perfect goal from the training pitch all the time. Our football is lovely to watch , but there's times we just need to do the basics better. The amount of times we reach the bye-line through some lovely football is impressive, but there's no shortage of defenders in League One willing to put their body on the line to block crosses. Pretty sure opponents know this and are prepared for our assault down the flanks. Think we need more early-hit shots from outside the box. Worked recently with Ladapo (Charlton) and Humphreys ((Port Vale), but, too often, we're trying too hard to pass the ball into the net with 20 man moves.... culminating in a defender blocking the cross.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Nov 13, 2022 9:25 am

To be honest there wasn't much wrong when Harness smashed it off the underside of the bar, or when Camara smacked it off the inside of the post, nothing to do with coaching, technique or ability, just rank bad luck.

Our issues are not in front of goal at all, it's defensively and always has been, we make a costly error or gift a goal on a regular basis and that is what needs addressing, it can't be laid at the feet of the attacking players.. " oh we are sh*t at defending so you need to score 3 or 4"
Shouldn't work like that, we have probably our best Two CB'S on the bench every game, Woolfy is and always has been a liability, we were all lauding Walton when he was doing his job and saving a few, well he isn't doing his job very well lately and Hladky needs a chance.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun Nov 13, 2022 1:44 pm

it seemed a lot like the lincoln game, lots of possession and chances but no real end product. That being, we should have won then and yesterday but the opposition took something of a result off us. Don't always find it fair to berate Walton, he's done very well for us for the most part, but if the kid IS costing us games and points then something needs to be done. Game Vaclav more game time perhaps and the former a rest to get his sh*t together.

Arguing formations is somethng futile but why the hell put three in attack for the Bracknell fixture and then revert once again to 4-2-3-1 for this one. Ladapo is useful but why not pair him with another forward from start of games to add that extra goal threat. It's one thing of McKenna that is a regular cause of issue.

You got to look for positives after each adverse score and there's examples here once again. We create a sh*t load of chances and goal opportunity - all right sometimes they don't find their way in - but they're evident and being created all the same. We don't have a striker that is actually reliable , more so a collection of various names that chip in every now and again and together they contribute, but not one name stands out as anything prolific. I believe it's one thing that is holding us back.

Didn't catch attendance but reports add 'bumper crowd' so estimate maybe 26, 27,000 which is an encouraging number and the fans are coming back en masse which is good to see. Frustrating that Plymouth dropped points also, we could have - with victory - made up that extra ground on them.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Nov 13, 2022 4:44 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sun Nov 13, 2022 9:25 am
To be honest there wasn't much wrong when Harness smashed it off the underside of the bar, or when Camara smacked it off the inside of the post, nothing to do with coaching, technique or ability, just rank bad luck.

Our issues are not in front of goal at all, it's defensively and always has been, we make a costly error or gift a goal on a regular basis and that is what needs addressing, it can't be laid at the feet of the attacking players.. " oh we are sh*t at defending so you need to score 3 or 4"
Shouldn't work like that, we have probably our best Two CB'S on the bench every game, Woolfy is and always has been a liability, we were all lauding Walton when he was doing his job and saving a few, well he isn't doing his job very well lately and Hladky needs a chance.
Apparently that Harness shot went over the line ! No goal line technology though is there .

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Nov 13, 2022 5:17 pm

Watched it back today and in slow mo it looks well over, but hey ho, it evens itself out.... apparently

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Nov 13, 2022 5:39 pm

Denny61 wrote:
Sat Nov 12, 2022 5:00 pm
So we have lots of strikers that can't Score .now we have a backline and goalie thats looking suspect..what is happening
Shocking result for the scum yesterday, you must be gutted.

rossi

Post by rossi » Sun Nov 13, 2022 8:08 pm

Not going to offer my comments and observations about the game, suffice to say that much of what I have said this season regarding lack of quality striking options really hit home yesterday.

What really annoyed me was reading that KM thought that was one of our best performances since he's been here. I mean, I know he's Irish, but please.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Nov 13, 2022 8:55 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sun Nov 13, 2022 5:39 pm
Denny61 wrote:
Sat Nov 12, 2022 5:00 pm
So we have lots of strikers that can't Score .now we have a backline and goalie thats looking suspect..what is happening
Shocking result for the scum yesterday, you must be gutted.
In injury time too…. Still laughing out loud! :lol: :lol: