League 1 - Ipswich Town vs Cheltenham Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Should be 3 points?

Ipswich Win
93%
Cheltenham Win
7%
Draw
No votes

Total votes: 15

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Re: League 1 - Ipswich Town vs Cheltenham Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Charnwood » Sun Nov 13, 2022 10:58 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sun Nov 13, 2022 5:39 pm
Denny61 wrote:
Sat Nov 12, 2022 5:00 pm
So we have lots of strikers that can't Score .now we have a backline and goalie thats looking suspect..what is happening
Shocking result for the scum yesterday, you must be gutted.

Oh dear, where we’re they playing ?

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Nov 13, 2022 10:59 pm

rossi wrote:
Sun Nov 13, 2022 8:08 pm
What really annoyed me was reading that KM thought that was one of our best performances since he's been here. I mean, I know he's Irish, but please.
:lol:

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Nov 13, 2022 11:00 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sun Nov 13, 2022 5:17 pm
Watched it back today and in slow mo it looks well over, but hey ho, it evens itself out.... apparently
That’s exactly what I said in play yesterday but nobody else seemed to pick up on it.

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Mon Nov 14, 2022 8:59 am

Tried to cheer myself up and compare us to last season, our final finishing position....

11 Ipswich Town 46 18 16 12 67 46 +21 70

I know we have a fair way to go yet but this is us now.....

2 Ipswich Town 18 11 5 2 36 19 +17 38

If we keep this up we will be fine, little happier now.

So boys start banging them in!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:17 am

Charnwood wrote:
Sun Nov 13, 2022 11:00 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Sun Nov 13, 2022 5:17 pm
Watched it back today and in slow mo it looks well over, but hey ho, it evens itself out.... apparently
That’s exactly what I said in play yesterday but nobody else seemed to pick up on it.
I was right up the other end on the day but the reaction from most suggested it was over the line, having seen it back and trying to freeze it, it definitely was.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:18 am

Charnwood wrote:
Sun Nov 13, 2022 10:58 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Sun Nov 13, 2022 5:39 pm
Denny61 wrote:
Sat Nov 12, 2022 5:00 pm
So we have lots of strikers that can't Score .now we have a backline and goalie thats looking suspect..what is happening
Shocking result for the scum yesterday, you must be gutted.

Oh dear, where we’re they playing ?
Home to Middlesbrough

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Mon Nov 14, 2022 12:46 pm

I haven't made any post-match comments yet, but can only reflect on a very disappointing result! I was listening to Radio Suffolk, when able, and was convinced we would get a significant win on the basis of the early commentary. Possibly this made the final result hard to take!
Yes, I can take heart that Man City returned similar stats to ours and actually lost, even with the massive array of talent they possess. However, unlike us, that will almost certainly be a one-off result! Credit to Brentford too, they actually took the game to their hosts, unlike the "backs to the wall" defensive effort excellently employed by Cheltenham (along with a bit of luck too)!
There seems to be a developing pattern to our games, a soft underbelly, which you can be certain other managers will be aware of as well as look to exploit! The Ipswich support has had years of disappointment and can be forgiven for being pensive and still a tad on edge, even when we take a lead! This nervousness will only get more noticeable each time we let in soft goals, creating a snowball effect where that translates through to the players on the pitch!
Perhaps some fans who regularly attend games will help me answer this? Is our all-out approach causing us the defensive problems? (I know some will say our poor finishing ability is to blame, however, generally our "goals for" column would refute that).
To me Leif Davis (not knocking him as I think he has been pretty excellent for us) should have been out wide enough to stop their goal scorer having a free pop at goal! Agreed Walton should have done much better on his near post and there certainly seems an edgy, almost confidence -lacking aire to his recent performances. However, dropping him is not the answer. I feel having a natural leader like Keogh in front of him could help Walton's game too.
All in all, one of those games you'd have had down as a home win all day long. In truth, despite the nature of the games, I'd have taken the draws at Hillsborough and at Charlton, however a few of our home results have concerned me.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Nov 14, 2022 1:10 pm

Our attacking approach is not to blame for our conceding of soft goals, Saturday's goal was another gift courtesy of another Woolfenden howler which in turn led to the opening from which Walton failed miserably to keep out at the near post, I disagree that Walton shouldn't be dropped by the way, he's making a lot of costly errors, some say is he dodgy cus of the defence in front of him, well that works both ways, maybe they are worried about the keeper atm.

One thing I said to Hallam at the game was that not long before Cheltenham scored Donacien had gone off, maybe there was a gaping hole in our defence that he would have been in.

That game was there to win, even at 1-0 so early, but we fail to defend time and time again.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Mon Nov 14, 2022 2:18 pm

There's an added pressure for the team when playing at home right now such is the team's league status and real progression with not only McKenna but new owners, who have made a difference. We got what 25,000 + coming in at Portman Road for a regular attendance, something that hasn't been evident since time of Royle and Burley etc. This should or will put a certain amount of pressure on our players, things are expected to happen, players to perform, that kind of thing.

Not only that but opposition teams may impose a certain strategy to take a score back. Stifle the midfield, play defensive, make it frustrating for us. All right we sometimes fall on our own sword by not putting away hatful of chances that come our way but it's more than one factor that seems to hold us back.

I'd leave Walton out for the next fixture. It's a shame he's deteriorated in so many words but something's not right with him so Hdlaky can once again come in if only for a test run. Hayes is always in the background or shadows but got to admit, somehow think will never see him in action for the team.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Mon Nov 14, 2022 2:36 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Mon Nov 14, 2022 1:10 pm
Our attacking approach is not to blame for our conceding of soft goals, Saturday's goal was another gift courtesy of another Woolfenden howler which in turn led to the opening from which Walton failed miserably to keep out at the near post, I disagree that Walton shouldn't be dropped by the way, he's making a lot of costly errors, some say is he dodgy cus of the defence in front of him, well that works both ways, maybe they are worried about the keeper atm.

One thing I said to Hallam at the game was that not long before Cheltenham scored Donacien had gone off, maybe there was a gaping hole in our defence that he would have been in.

That game was there to win, even at 1-0 so early, but we fail to defend time and time again.
Thank you Mike. It is sometimes hard to come to a conclusion without seeing a fuller picture. Commentary so often, rightly, focuses on the player in possession and not those out of position or the general shape of the team. I also was out of my van at the time Cheltenham equalised so didn't hear the build up.

I wondered if a slightly more defensive strategy is totally out of the question, by this I am questioning whether the midfield balance is quite right? While Evans might have been in the team when we conceded goals against decent teams (Wednesday, Plymouth, Portsmouth), we have now conceded 7 goals in the 3 league games he has been missing from? For a team with serious promotion ambitions that is a pretty shocking stat.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Nov 14, 2022 3:12 pm

I don't personally think there is any great mystery tbh, Charlton was just a freak result, they conceded Four at home, didn't win but are over the moon, purely based on when they scored, we are the opposite, I think KM was spot on, we got totally wrapped up in the celebrations and on this occasion the 3000+ Town fans going delirious actually didn't help. Yeah we conceded Two at Vale but crikey we handled that game well in my opinion and bounced back from the blow of being pegged back.

Saturday was a real pain in the nuts but individual errors are costing us, not tactics, coaching, systems etc etc, we ain't broke so let's not try to fix it, we know it's never easy being a Town fan but I genuinely believe we are in prime position this time around. You cannot possibly continue to create 30+ chances and not win most games, the off the post from Camara alone beggars belief, 9 times out of 10 then flies in, it's frustrating yes but we are where we would all have taken last August, keep the faith, we're going up remember.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:00 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Mon Nov 14, 2022 3:12 pm
I don't personally think there is any great mystery tbh, Charlton was just a freak result, they conceded Four at home, didn't win but are over the moon, purely based on when they scored, we are the opposite, I think KM was spot on, we got totally wrapped up in the celebrations and on this occasion, the 3000+ Town fans going delirious actually didn't help. Yeah, we conceded Two at Vale but crikey we handled that game well in my opinion, and bounced back from the blow of being pegged back.

Saturday was a real pain in the nuts but individual errors are costing us, not tactics, coaching, systems, etc, we ain't broke so let's not try to fix it, we know it's never easy being a Town fan but I genuinely believe we are in prime position this time around. You cannot possibly continue to create 30+ chances and not win most games, the off the post from Camara alone beggars belief, 9 times out of 10 then flies in, it's frustrating yes but we are where we would all have taken last August, keep the faith, we're going up remember.
Mike in lots of ways you are correct in your estimations of the current situations that keep plaguing us, like soft goals, and switching off at critical times during the game, BUT you and many fans on here can point to the probable solution, and make sure we bring in maybe another quality central defender and an established frontman who can score goals is critical, a sort of poacher or as we use to call them a goal hanger always there ready to poke one in the net, please comment if you think I'm wrong.