League 1 - Exeter City vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

3rd draw in a row?

Exeter Win
28%
Ipswich Win
39%
Draw
33%

Total votes: 18

Frosty
Forum Owner

League 1 - Exeter City vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Frosty » Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:04 pm

Image Exeter City vs Ipswich Town Image

Saturday 19th November 2022 – 12:00

St James Park

Pre Match Thoughts - Mike

Ok, let's get the positives out of the way first, after all there are still plenty. We sit second in the table as we approach the mid way point in the season, we've lost a mere Two games in the opening Eighteen, despite some having us believe our issues are in front of goal we are the second top scorers in the division, a solitary goal separates us from the league leaders Plymouth Argyle, we are playing some excellent football and are creating chances for fun, doesn't sound like there is too much to be downbeat about does there.

Now for the negatives, what tarnishes the positives is the way we take games to teams for virtually the entire 96 minutes, create dozens of chances to their One and yet fail to take the points home when we did enough to win Three games. It is as clear as the day is long that our issues are of a defensive nature, nothing else, our Centre Backs more often than not just don't cut it, our normally top keeper is going through a really poor run of form and confidence looks lost, our Right side has lost a little bit of it's swagger with Janoi Donacien struggling to maintain the high levels he had previously set, while KVY for me is very up and down, Wes Burns is a top player at this level going forward but defensively at times...hmmmm. Woolfy made another error, Walton gets beaten ridiculously at the near post and there we have it, their goal in the second halve was under siege, Camara coming so close to winning it with the One off the post, Jackson then had a tap in only for Chaplin, who on the day was crap, to get in his way and take it off his foot. Let's not even mention the Harness effort off the underside of the bar which having watched it again and again looked a good few inches over the line.

We all know we have a potentially top Manager at the club now and he is learning his trade at a very young age, by and large he gets it right, however the rotation of strikers and Number Ten's does my head in, as does the persistence in playing Two poor CB's when we have two better options on the bench, McKenna does not seem keen on playing players in form and rewarding them for their efforts, Kyle Edwards should have started yesterday as should Ladapo in previous weeks when his tail was up having scored goals, McKenna chooses to bench them and still stick with shabby defenders, sorry but I don't get it at all.

I also get a bit fed up of this playing out from the back come what may, at times it is woeful, other times it looks fab, but we never really mix it up, I keep reading how we need a new striker, we don't !! What we need is to play to our strikers strengths, look at the goal Ladapo scored at Charlton, ball into feet, superb first touch, rolled the defender and fired a beautiful shot into the net, what we are all expecting is for him to win headers against Two massive Centre backs, never going to happen, I suspect Ahadme will struggle with that side of the game just as much.

I would bet all day long had Woolfenden and Walton not mucked up we would have seen that game out with little fuss and there in lies the problem, we didn't need a second goal against a team that couldn't really cross the half way line apart from when we helped them to do it.

Anyway moan over, nothing has changed for me, we will go up as champions, we are just making it harder than it needs to be, we don't lose games and over a season that will take you up, results went our way at the weekend by and large so not a massive amount of harm was done.

Next up its another tricky away day to Exeter City, a Midday kick off in front of the Sky cameras hardly instills massive confidence but if any good is to come out of the frustrations of the Cheltenham game it could be a massive reaction from a frustrated group of players, on our day we would blow Exeter away but while I am not sure that will happen I do think they will have to play a blinder to get anything from the game. The Grecians are having a decent season themselves and currently sit in Ninth place, just Three points off the play off zone so they have every reason to play the game in a positive way and not park the bus, we all know that suits us perfectly which is why we are better away from home than we are at Portman Road.

While it would not surprise me to see this end all square I think we will nick it to get back on track, it won't be easy or clear cut, it never is but Town to bring home the points for me. COYB'S.

The Opposition – Exeter City Honours

League

Football League Third Division South / League One
Runners-up (1): 1932–33 – Exeter's highest ever league position

Football League Fourth Division / League Two
Champions (1): 1989–90
2nd place promotion (3): 1976–77, 2008–09, 2021–22
4th place promotion (1): 1963–64

Conference National
Play-off winners (1): 2007–08
Play-off finalists (1): 2006–07

Cups and Trophies

FA Cup
Quarter-finalists (2): 1930–31, 1980–81

Football League Third Division South Cup
Winners (1): 1933–34

Football League Trophy
Southern Section Finalists (3): 1992–93, 1999–2000, 2010–11

The Managers – Gary Caldwell

League Table as at 14/11/2022

Form Guide

Exeter City

15 Oct Exeter City 2 - 4 Oxford Utd

22 Oct Exeter City 2 - 1 Fleetwood

25 Oct Derby County 0 - 0 Exeter City

31 Oct Plymouth 4 - 2 Exeter City

12 Nov Exeter City 3 - 2 Peterborough

Ipswich Town

15 Oct Ipswich Town 0 - 1 Lincoln City

21 Oct Ipswich Town 1 - 0 Derby County

25 Oct Port Vale 2 - 3 Ipswich Town

29 Oct Charlton 4 - 4 Ipswich Town

12 Nov Ipswich Town 1 - 1 Cheltenham

Head to Head

THE DON CUP

DERBY
No9 3pts
Blue Wilf 2pts

CHARLTON
Bluemike 3pts
JohnnyB 2pts

CHELTENHAM
Tangfastic 3pts
No9 2pts

TABLE:
1. Number9 6
2. BlueMike 5
3. BlueWilf 4
4. Frosty 3
5. JohnnyB 3
6. Tangfastic 3
7. Charnwood 2
8. Dazzza67 1

EXETER CITY CAPTION

Match Referee – Alan Young

EXETER CITY 1 IPSWICH TOWN 2

marko69
Global Moderator

Re: League 1 - Exeter City vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by marko69 » Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:38 pm

Nice preview, honest opinions on there. This part: I also get a bit fed up of this playing out from the back come what may,………, yep, Shaun Maloney sacked for it……. You’re not at Ajax, Shaun.
But, hopefully its a big time in history, and Ipswich are currently enjoying their own “Eddie Howe” type moments.

Chose draw in the voting poll. Difficult trip this one. Exeter will be treating this like a Play-Off semi final home leg……. Up for it. Kieron & the lads needs to “be on it” from KO.
1-1 draw.

Ref caption:
Alan Youngs mate thru earpiece: “You not done yet, we’re all heading out up town?”
Ref: “Haha, yep, almost done, bro….. just got to oversee 4 x 90+mins goals then i’ll be there.”

Caldwell Caption:
HEADLINE:
GARY TOLD, GET YERSELF FAR AWAY FROM EASTER ROAD; HE CHOSE EXETER

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue Nov 15, 2022 3:10 pm

Agree a very honest preview, but I disagree about not needing another striker. I still think we need to bring in another striker in January, especially with TJJ seemingly returning Arsenal with injury. Aluko is also out for the season, and we're picking up injuries in midfield. Ladapo has proven he can score goals, but I think we'll need an extra push to get us over the line. Maybe a striker who can come into matches late and finish them off.

Yes I agree we need to sort out the defence, but my goodness they've done well for the first part of the season. What's gone wrong? I think Walton just needs a break, and he's obvioulsy lost confidence in the back line.

I'm really not sure what the result will be because I thought we'd hammer Cheltenham. History does suggest we're scoring freely on the road, so hopefully that will be the case at Exeter. If we lose, it is possible we may be 'exiting stage left' from the Auto promotion spots.

Exeter 1 v 2 ITFC

COYB!!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Nov 15, 2022 3:23 pm

Ahadme coming back will help in the striking department, I agree we need another option to replace TJJ but that's purely on numbers for me. Aluko is due back at Christmas.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Tue Nov 15, 2022 3:25 pm

Think this will be a tough game and can see us being on the wrong end of a 2-1 scoreline.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Tue Nov 15, 2022 3:55 pm

Being quick voted for a tie, I take into account we had some frustrating scores in recent games and it's a long trip over to that part of the country. Exeter scored 7 (seven) over Cheltenham a few weeks back whereas we couldn't beat them at home, point being this could be tougher than some may first envisage.

Wins for us are paramount even at this time of year to remain in contention for automatic promotion, we can't allow say Plymouth, SWFC etc to gain wins and total up points and lose ground ourselves. Unfortunately this time around kind of feel we'll have to settle for one point from the trip out there. Wonder what team formation McKenna will go with from the start...

Exeter City 1 4-2-3-1 Ladapo 1
Last edited by arana peligrosa on Wed Nov 16, 2022 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Nov 15, 2022 3:57 pm

CAPTION......
Sorry boys got to pop to the doctors to get this nasty lump removed from my back.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue Nov 15, 2022 4:08 pm

Caption:
"McKenna's genius shines through as he demonstrates how to get more goals from headers..."

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue Nov 15, 2022 4:10 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 3:23 pm
Aluko is due back at Christmas.
At his age, I don't think he'll be able to offer much for the rest of the season after that nasty injury.

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Tue Nov 15, 2022 9:00 pm

0-2 Town win.

'The Gaffer shows how close his man to man marking regime needs to be'

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Nov 15, 2022 10:20 pm

Think this will be a hard fought draw , with our injuries starting to take their toll on performance.

1-1

rossi

Post by rossi » Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:28 am

A couple of weeks ago in another thread I predicted a draw, but now I cannot in all honesty see us getting anything out of this one. - 2-0 loss

Hope to God I'm wrong, because I can't see beyond 3 points on Saturday for both Plymouth and Shaff Wed, so if we slip up we'll be down to third.

Andym

Post by Andym » Wed Nov 16, 2022 11:06 am

I read the preview about Ladapo's goal at Charlton, and while I don't disagree about the goal, I think generally his first touch is poor.
More important, I agree he's not going to win headers - none of our team do.
I also read here and elsewhere about us "trying to score the perfect goal." I really don't see that, but we must play it on the ground if we are going to score. Corners need to be played in low. We have loads of corners and crosses and don't get close to scoring from most of them.
Earlier in the season we were playing it though the middle a bit more. On Saturday, everything was down the line with high crosses we didn't get on the end of. So we either need a striker / midfielder / defender / anyone who can head the ball, or we play it in low.
1-1 Draw.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Nov 16, 2022 11:19 am

I'm pleased you read it lol 😆

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Wed Nov 16, 2022 3:11 pm

Hate to say it but i'm with Rossi on this one, can see a loss here, that is purely down to the lack of goal scoring last game and our defensive issues.

If all goes as expected I see a 2 - 1 loss, if we can put these issues right on the day then Exeter could be in trouble, im hoping for the latter lol.

Come on your beauties, get the tractor wheels rolling again!

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Wed Nov 16, 2022 11:20 pm

Lot of points thrown away recently, need to get back to winning football matches. No more excuses, Ipswich are a better side than Exeter home or away. Need a good performance and a solid win. Going for 2-0 Ipswich

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Fri Nov 18, 2022 11:33 pm

Caption

" 2 seconds after this photo was taken, McKenna ended up flat on his face. An investigation is underway over who was responsible for tripping him"

shabba

Post by shabba » Fri Nov 18, 2022 11:36 pm

Line up id like:

Walton

JD
Wolfie
Burges
Davies

Morsy
Humpreys

Burns
Harness
Edward’s

Ladapo

Line up i suspect will get picked:

Walton

JD
woolfie
Edmundson

Morsy
Humpreys

Burns
Chaplin
Harnes

Jackson

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Nov 19, 2022 6:21 am

Well if McKenna picks Edmundson and Woolfie as the two central defenders, we will lose. They can’t defend balls into the box.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Nov 19, 2022 8:38 am

I'll go for a win. I'm not as confident as Mike about the team and I do believe we have a few shortcomings in this team other than defence - but we're still a good side who play good football with a goal or two in us ( even though it might take 30 attempts to score). Yep... we don't need to take 30 attempts at goal to win matches so I do think we need to improve up front as well. But it's time to bring Burgess in. He's done well previously just doing the simple things and he might have cemented his place in the side if it wasn't for his injury. And Edwards deserves a run... he's battled back well from being out of the side, so why not reward him with more game time?

I do agree with Mike that the crowd reaction at Charlton did affect the players.... but I think that's a worrying thing rather than a valid excuse. I think it points to us having a bit of a soft underside and are a bit flaky. Players should deal with that situation better and it's hardly the fans fault. The team haven't convinced me yet they have the mental toughness to get over the line. Think that's going to be important in the latter part of the season. . Id rather we were the side that came back from 2 goals down than the side that let teams back in.

Time to stop throwing away points and start getting wins under our belts.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Nov 19, 2022 10:47 am

Who would you drop to bring in Burgess( which I agree with btw)….. not much to choose between Edmundson and Woolfie defensively, but comfort on the ball , Woolfie is the better one. If we able to Id ditch both of them lol !

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Nov 19, 2022 10:50 am

We are able to, we can play Burgess & Keogh, for me Woolfy is by far the worst.

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Sat Nov 19, 2022 11:11 am

I haven’t seen too many games on TV and none actually there this season, but to me Woolfy looks a class defender. No one else has the long range distribution from the back he brings and generally his positioning and tackling are good. He’s certainly caught the eye of a few clubs further up the pyramid and I can see why. Against that, he does have mistakes in him. Then again so did Titus Bramble and even Rio Ferdinand in his early career. Isn’t that what you get with a young(ish) ball-playing central defender?

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Nov 19, 2022 11:39 am

I take your point JohnnyB, but I think our defence “ hides” behind their ability to bring the ball out of defence. Surely that’s what deep sitting midfielders should do?

It’s theirs out and out ability to defend our box where I’m not happy. As you say there is a mistake in both of them. Usually every game, snd if usually costs us a goal. That what bites us in the bum, and the number of chances we squander in attack.

We are not comparing us to the 90% of this division. Just that top 3-4 clubs. It’s fine margins snd the points we continue to drop has seen a 5 point gap close to just 1.

Sadly I’m expecting us to be 3rd come 5pm
because one thing is more certain than us winning, and that’s Plymouth snd Sheff Weds both winning. I REALLY hope I’m wrong .

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Sat Nov 19, 2022 11:55 am

hallamblue wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 11:39 am
I take your point JohnnyB, but I think our defence “ hides” behind their ability to bring the ball out of defence. Surely that’s what deep sitting midfielders should do?

It’s theirs out and out ability to defend our box where I’m not happy. As you say there is a mistake in both of them. Usually every game, snd if usually costs us a goal. That what bites us in the bum, and the number of chances we squander in attack.

We are not comparing us to the 90% of this division. Just that top 3-4 clubs. It’s fine margins snd the points we continue to drop has seen a 5 point gap close to just 1.

Sadly I’m expecting us to be 3rd come 5pm
because one thing is more certain than us winning, and that’s Plymouth snd Sheff Weds both winning. I REALLY hope I’m wrong .
It’s a quandary. Probably Burgess and Keogh will defend better but that’s all they do. Woolfy and Fridge offer more going forward but the jury’s out over whether that’s worth it. I do think we are missing Lee Evans who’s the other guy who can spray a long pass. And I guess his absence might make the case for Woolfy’s inclusion a little stronger?

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Nov 19, 2022 12:04 pm

Here’s the team .. 👍👍

Ahdame on the bench I see .

Looks McK sees it that way too JohnnyB !

Come on Town , just bloody do this !!!
Last edited by hallamblue on Sat Nov 19, 2022 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Sat Nov 19, 2022 12:04 pm

It reminds me actually of a game I saw in 2001: Chelsea v Ipswich at Stanford Bridge. Throughout the game, Bramble was an absolute class act: cool and composed on the ball, looking every inch a future England player. In the 90th minute he just gives it to Dalla Bonna who says thanks very much and whacks it in the back of the net. We lose the game.

shabba

Post by shabba » Sat Nov 19, 2022 12:05 pm

JohnnyB wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 12:04 pm
It reminds me actually of a game I saw in 2001: Chelsea v Ipswich at Stanford Bridge. Throughout the game, Bramble was an absolute class act: cool and composed on the ball, looking every inch a future England player. In the 90th minute he just gives it to Dalla Bonna who says thanks very much and whacks it in the back of the net. We lose the game.
Insert any game he played in.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Nov 19, 2022 12:06 pm

Ha ha yes good ole Titus . He continued to that all his career. Absolutely no awareness of what was around him.

shabba

Post by shabba » Sat Nov 19, 2022 12:08 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sat Nov 19, 2022 12:04 pm
Here’s the team .. 👍👍

Ahdame on the bench I see .

Looks McK sees it that way too JohnnyB !

Come on Town , just bloody do this !!!

Where is the team? Not on FB or ITFC match Center