World Cup 2022?!

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

number 9

World Cup 2022?!

Post by number 9 » Tue Nov 15, 2022 5:46 pm

I know the subject of Qatar getting the WC has been discussed and debated to death, but I have to say this is the first World Cup I'm not looking forward to. Sepp Blatter's most recent proclamation blaming Platini for awarding it to Qatar instead of USA, was just the final nail for me. And of course without being too political, just look at Qatar's human right's violations. In addition to all of that...the World Cup has been moved to Nov/Dec, distorting probably the most important period for domestic league football (at least in Great Britain).

I can see the irony now if England win the World Cup in Qatar...it'll be like a poisoned chalice. I'm not too worried about that being the outcome, though... :lol:

Anyway, how do you all feel about WC Qatar 2022?

marko69
Global Moderator

Re: World Cup 2022?!

Post by marko69 » Tue Nov 15, 2022 5:58 pm

Have you watched the 4 part FIFA documentary on Netflix, 9. I urge you to watch that. Might change your opinions on FIFA, Blatter & indeed Platini. Won't go into it, but suffice to say....., well done documentary with proper footage from the FBI etc and it changed my opinion completely. Still shyte that it is being played in Qatar, that has never, and never will be, a debate......, it was a poor decision. It should really be over as it should've happened in the USA back in June / July.

Even though Scotland not in it, (Really? Nooooooo! Yer jokin'?)....., certainly looking forward to seeing how it will all unfold. My wife has already asked me....., "Columbo or Qatar v Ecuador on Sunday?"......, "You insane? Columbo obviously. Will watch Qatar v Ecuador on catch up later!"

1pm Monday for Engerland V Iran ? Thats a bit of a 'mare for some fans......., hope you ALL got time off in advance.

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Tue Nov 15, 2022 6:25 pm

This is possibly the first time I am not remotely interested in the World Cup. Not because its in Qatar just not interested. I know how the Scottish, Irish and normally the Welsh must feel and England have qualified. :shock:

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Tue Nov 15, 2022 6:45 pm

Having followed England home and away during the period 2001-2021 I never thought there would be a tournament where I wasn’t that bothered how England got on.
However, this World Cup just doesn’t hold any interest for me. I know a lot of regulars are giving this one a miss for various reasons. I read a article yesterday which said that in Germany the interest for this tournament is far less than usual. Perhaps Charnwood could give us a idea of what it is like in Spain.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Nov 15, 2022 7:48 pm

What World Cup ?

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Nov 15, 2022 7:57 pm

Jaysus fkn H …… don’t make me say the “C” word you feckin depressive ………, people!

No one can change it. Might as well enjoy it 👍
And you lot have added interest.

FFS! Get with the programme. Tad surprised at you Shed if i’m honest.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:00 pm

I have zero interest in it too tbh, I didn't even know until yesterday who Two of our group rivals are.

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:22 pm

I am interested in it and will watch it but having it in Winter just does not seem right, its like having Christmas in June, that would just be cack (cue whinging pom jokes).

Cant go down the pub and have a few drinks in your T shirt and flip flops, its just a wierd feeling. Know some changes are good but I feel this is not a good move.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue Nov 15, 2022 10:50 pm

I hope Gareth plays this in the locker room before England’s match against Iran…if that doesn’t motivate the team nothing will! :lol:

https://youtu.be/iIpfWORQWhU

Andym

Post by Andym » Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:58 pm

No interest whatsoever. England should have led a boycott. End of.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed Nov 16, 2022 12:29 am

Andym wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:58 pm
I guarantee there are numerous players from all countries who would happily boycott this WC. In my opinion, this WC should be canceled.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Nov 16, 2022 12:32 am

number 9 wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 12:29 am
Andym wrote:
I guarantee there are numerous players from all countries who would happily boycott this WC. In my opinion, this WC should be canceled.
Too much money involved it will never happen. If ever there was going to be a boycott it should have been done immediately after the announcement.

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Wed Nov 16, 2022 2:11 am

Andym wrote:
I wish they had. The whole thing stinks.

Will look at the scores though. Might even watch a game or two if the times are favourable for GMT+7

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Wed Nov 16, 2022 4:19 am

Take a moment to look at some of the big name stars of yesteryear who graced the competition that passed on recently i.e. Maradona, Rossi, Seeler, Greaves and Cryuff for example. Something of a slap in the face to their honor and legacy that this intended shitfest will go ahead.

Haven't taken any real interest in a tournament since 2010. The excitement and passion that once was has been and gone. As soon as Italy failed to qualify for an already non-event, just decided, "that's it, the whole thing's just about f*cked". Kind of like when F.A.Cup semi-finals were featured at the national stadium or Finals themselves held in Cardiff. Something along those lines, albeit on a more lesser, benign degree.

Hope to win - Argentina / Spain

Likely to win - Brazil

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Nov 16, 2022 7:51 am

:shock: Holy sh*t……., Paulo Rossi dead? :shock:

Must’ve missed that news at the time.

What we doing then? Lock the thread? Is there any point keeping a thread going reading that its a cnt of a tournament and shouldn't happen?

Can start a political “Qatar World Cup is a farce” thread?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:03 am

Or a "Forfar for the Highland League" thread ?

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:08 am

marko69 wrote:
Tue Nov 15, 2022 7:57 pm
Jaysus fkn H …… don’t make me say the “C” word you feckin depressive ………, people!

No one can change it. Might as well enjoy it 👍
And you lot have added interest.

FFS! Get with the programme. Tad surprised at you Shed if i’m honest.
marko tbh I didn’t even know what days England are playing their group games on until recently so I guess that shows my lack of enthusiasm for this tournament. Must admit though if England qualify for Euro 2024 I will be envious of those going as the 3 weeks I spent in Germany for the 2006 World Cup was brilliant as the Germans were such fantastic hosts.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:22 am

marko69 wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 7:51 am
:shock: Holy sh*t……., Paulo Rossi dead? :shock:

Must’ve missed that news at the time.

What we doing then? Lock the thread? Is there any point keeping a thread going reading that its a cnt of a tournament and shouldn't happen?

Can start a political “Qatar World Cup is a farce” thread?
Marko, must be an age thing! You posted his passing in the other chat on here! Glad as another 69'er I am not alone with my memory :wink: :lol:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:28 am

https://tractor-boys.com/forum/viewtopi ... =5&t=67372

HOLY sh*t!!!! :shock: You’re correct.

Think i better make an app with the doc. Alzheimers!
Jeez…… i have no recollection of this.
Can only put it down to my sons journey at the moment……. Quite a lot has been forgotten 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️ :lol:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:32 am

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:03 am
Or a "Forfar for the Highland League" thread ?
Yes. The Loons better get their fingers out or they’ll be joining the hedgefkrs. 🤦‍♂️

rossi

Post by rossi » Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:37 am

I'm dead against it being held in Qatar for all sorts of reasons, but as long as England are involved then I'll be interested and watching it. Sadly, I don't think we'll get beyond the second round with the squad that Southgate has assembled.

Andym

Post by Andym » Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:58 am

Charnwood wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 12:32 am
number 9 wrote:
Andym wrote:
Too much money involved it will never happen. If ever there was going to be a boycott it should have been done immediately after the announcement.
I agree. If countries had boycotted immediately there was the possibility of an alternative competition being launched.
It did set me wondering about the competition as a whole. Presumably countries have to choose to enter; and presumably that is after the venue is chosen. So all it needed would have been a number of major countries announcing they would not be entering.

Even worse, because of the competition, the Peterborough match has been brought forward to a 12:30 kick off. I'm travelling back from Southampton that day and probably won't make it in time. Going away for two weeks thinking I'd miss a match, now (with the cup games) I'll miss 4. Hey ho.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Nov 16, 2022 1:20 pm

That is very true tbh.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed Nov 16, 2022 2:17 pm

BlueBalls wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 12:44 pm
Why do we think we are any better?

Lots of poverty, racial discrimination, anti gay attacks, people trafficking, modern slavery etc happen on our shores.
Well the last time I checked, I don't believe homosexuals get the death sentence in either the USA or GB (I'm not gay, btw). Also, I know there are organziations like OSHA in the US and the ACLU that protect human rights in the work place and in society. Also if anyone is attending the WC in Qatar, be aware that public intoxication can lead to unbelievable punishments including years in prison. Not to mention, alcohol is actually illegal there.

I do get your point, though. There will always be inequality in all walks of life, but in Qatar inequality is imposed.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed Nov 16, 2022 3:08 pm

BlueBalls wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 2:41 pm
I am somewhat playing devil's advocate with both posts, but as an example why do we expect to travel there and drink alcohol when it is against the law there? That says as much about us as it does about them tbh.

Like why do we (and USA) think its our job to police the world and tell other countries how they should run theirs? That sounds equally undemocratic to me.
Fair comment, BB. However, I still don't think the World Cup should have been given to Qatar. They can live their lives as they want to, but just don't give 'em the WC. :wink:

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed Nov 16, 2022 4:28 pm

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Nov 16, 2022 5:01 pm

Mexico ahead of the USA? Spiderman is not gonnae like that! Get that fkn wall built——->> just inside the 18 yard box i mean. Calm down.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Nov 16, 2022 6:46 pm

Apparently Town games will be on ifollow during the WC except for Exeter as it’s in Sky (tossas) tv.

https://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-new ... on-ifollow

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Nov 16, 2022 7:09 pm

Andym wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 10:58 am
Charnwood wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 12:32 am
number 9 wrote:

I agree. If countries had boycotted immediately there was the possibility of an alternative competition being launched.
It did set me wondering about the competition as a whole. Presumably countries have to choose to enter; and presumably that is after the venue is chosen. So all it needed would have been a number of major countries announcing they would not be entering.

Even worse, because of the competition, the Peterborough match has been brought forward to a 12:30 kick off. I'm travelling back from Southampton that day and probably won't make it in time. Going away for two weeks thinking I'd miss a match, now (with the cup games) I'll miss 4. Hey ho.
There’s always the ifollow option Andy.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Nov 16, 2022 8:08 pm

Although I’ve always disapproved of the location for this World Cup I had swallowed my pride and arranged to go to Qatar for the duration of the tournament. However, ever since I paid my deposit there have been so many changes to arrangements and costs that our small group of four reluctantly decided to give it a miss. As it happens recent health issues mean I wouldn’t be going anyway so it makes no difference. My thought process for going was that with the tournament being played in mid season the players should be at peak fitness, whereas at the end of a gruelling season most are either knackered or injured. This however has turned out not to be the case with too many fixtures crammed into the front end of the season resulting in most nations having many players missing. There is also too little time for team preparation with insufficient time between the end of domestic football to the start of the World Cup.
As far as the players and competing teams are concerned they have no say whatsoever in where the tournament is played, they just have a job to do and for the individuals concerned it is one of only a few chances they have in their career to compete at the highest level of their profession which should stand aside from politics and social pressures.
Whilst I’m struggling to get excited by the World Cup I will follow it with interest and want to see England do well despite my personal view that Gareth Southgate has made a few errors with his squad selection, however I guess we all sometimes think we’re better than the manager whether it be at a local of international level.
If I’m still here in 4 years time I’ll definitely go to the 2026 World Cup in the USA, Canada and Mexico, but there I guess we’ll all be moaning about how far apart the fixtures are spread and the travelling costs involved, unlike the last one in Qatar where the outstanding tournament was played in a compact little country who surprised us all with their excellent hospitality. We can only hope.