January Investment

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Bluemike
Global Moderator

January Investment

Post by Bluemike » Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:09 am

CEO Mark Ashton says the Blues will active in the January transfer window with the squad’s depth having been tested by injuries in recent weeks.

Forward Sone Aluko, midfielders Lee Evans and Dominic Ball and forward Tyreece John-Jules are all out at present, while Cameron Burgess, Gassan Ahadme and Greg Leigh are all just back after spells on the sidelines.

“When we built the squad in the summer, we built depth,” Ashton told iFollow Ipswich in a wide-ranging interview, which also covers the club’s continuing infrastructure developments, the PA and plans to knock down the old Office Outlet and Better Gym building on the land behind the Sir Alf Ramsey Stand.

“And right now that depth is being tested because we’re seeing a run of injuries, injuries that are a bizarre set because they’re all contact injuries, they’re all happening in-game or in game training, they’re not really soft tissue injuries.

“So we have to to go again, we have to make sure for the second part of the season we have the depth.

“All clubs are going to have injuries, we get that, we’ve got a good quality squad. We’re challenged a little bit by the 22-man squad rule because it’s got to fit into that so we can’t just go and spend, spend, spend and then not get them into the 22-man cap.

“But I think the fanbase will have learnt by now that myself, [manager] Kieran [McKenna], the recruitment team, the club, the owners, the investors, we’re active in transfer windows. This transfer will be no different.

“Kieran’s very clear on what he wants, he’s very clear on the positions he wants, he will not be rushed. He wants to make sure we’re bringing in better than we have and people that fit the culture of what he’s trying to build and will ultimately make the club better and more successful.

“So I anticipate us being active, we’re on that already. We finish a transfer window in the summer, we’re straight onto the January one, we don’t stop and start.

“I think we’ll be active and we need to see a second half of the season probably better than we’ve had in the first half, if we want to ultimately get to where we want to get to.

“It’s going to be tough, it’s a 46-game season, but we will make sure that we are prepared recruitment-wise for the second half and we will be supporting the manager in that.”

TWTD revealed earlier today that Swansea forward Morgan Whittaker, who is currently on loan with League One leaders Plymouth, is on Town’s list of potential January targets along with Brighton’s Republic of Ireland striker Evan Ferguson.

number 9

Re: January Investment

Post by number 9 » Tue Nov 22, 2022 3:18 pm

Good news...I thought as much!

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:04 pm

Ronaldo's available now...

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:45 pm

^^ No he’s not. ^^ He’s off to Cambodia to interview some dude called Paul Potts for godfather duties.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Tue Nov 22, 2022 11:39 pm

:lol: :lol:

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Wed Nov 23, 2022 1:36 pm

Wouldn't want Ronaldo here if if he was on a free and no wages, takeaway the positives he adds it would cost us a fortune in a new gold plated dressing room, mirrors, 'look at me' placards, toiletries, red carpet and counselling for all the team, it would break us in other ways financially lol.

shabba

Post by shabba » Wed Nov 23, 2022 11:22 pm

My gut feeling is we will target a loan player similar to TJJ, ie someone who can play both as a 10 and a striker.

If we bring in a striker it HAS to be someone ahead of Ladapo, otherwise there is no point in having Ahadme.
Finding a top striker in Jan won’t be easy so won’t surprise me if that doesn’t happen, but if we can bring in another forward player with an eye for goal it’s ok.

Maybe a CM as cover but with Camara back and evans maybe not too far away we should be fine with the four we have (excluding ball as his season is over).

I can’t see us going for any other positions personally.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:48 am

Dazzz67 wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 1:36 pm
Wouldn't want Ronaldo here if if he was on a free and no wages, takeaway the positives he adds it would cost us a fortune in a new gold plated dressing room, mirrors, 'look at me' placards, toiletries, red carpet and counselling for all the team, it would break us in other ways financially lol.
But on the plus side, he has got his own Chapel? 8)

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Nov 24, 2022 11:23 am

Ricco wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:48 am
Dazzz67 wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 1:36 pm
But on the plus side, he has got his own Chapel? 8)
WHIT???

Ach, fk em! C*nts got his own Chapel FFS!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Nov 24, 2022 11:28 am

shabba wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 11:22 pm
My gut feeling is we will target a loan player similar to TJJ, ie someone who can play both as a 10 and a striker.

If we bring in a striker it HAS to be someone ahead of Ladapo, otherwise there is no point in having Ahadme.
Finding a top striker in Jan won’t be easy so won’t surprise me if that doesn’t happen, but if we can bring in another forward player with an eye for goal it’s ok.

Maybe a CM as cover but with Camara back and evans maybe not too far away we should be fine with the four we have (excluding ball as his season is over).

I will be shocked if we don't go for another Central Defender.

shabba

Post by shabba » Thu Nov 24, 2022 11:32 am

Bluemike wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 11:28 am
shabba wrote:

I can't see it, would be hard to bring someone in and form a partnership mid season, plus I think KM trusts Woolfie and Burges, maybe Keogh but also might accept Edmundson is struggling. I just think it would rock the boat too much too bring in another, unless someone goes out and I cannot see that happening. If anything he might recall Ndaba if he needs another body. Getting a top CB will also likely be tricky in January, so many reasons why I don't see it happening.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Thu Nov 24, 2022 1:15 pm

An interesting article from the EADT, asking the "stick or twist?" question, in regard to our striker situation.

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/23126967.i ... club-2000/

It gives views on an occasion when Ipswich have both strengthened and also where they have not invested.

Obviously Marcus Stewart was one instance - a team which was not short of goals (Johnson, Naylor Scowcroft, with Holland adding from midfield). The rest of the story led to our last truly successful period

The other was when we were top of the Championship on Boxing Day, in a team which contained Daryl Murphy, and we failed to strengthen. Ultimately we were beaten by "that lot" in the play off semi final, missing what was a gilt edged chance to reach the top flight.

I say that if (and that is a BIG if) the right player becomes available, we need to break the bank to get them in.
Last edited by AzzurroMark on Thu Nov 24, 2022 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Nov 24, 2022 1:16 pm

Shabba, You are probably right, I just hope we don't live to regret it.

shabba

Post by shabba » Thu Nov 24, 2022 2:20 pm

AzzurroMark wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 1:15 pm
I say that if (and that is a BIG if) the right player becomes available, we need to break the bank to get them in.
I would expect the club to move if that becomes a possibility. 'Break the bank' would have to really mean 'be bang on the limit of the league one financial fair play rules' - suspect we are already close to said limit though.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Thu Nov 24, 2022 4:07 pm

Turns out it would be completely pointless to purchase another defender. Here's a crazy fact for you... Every season since being relegated to league 1, Ipswich have conceded at the rate of one goal per game:

19/20 - 36 Games 36 Conceded
20/21 - 46 Games 46 Conceded
21/22 - 46 Games 46 Conceded
22/23 - 19 Games 19 Conceded

So I'd say it's futile, clearly some voodoo sh*t going on, I say play with 5 midfielders and 5 strikers and lets score our way out of this division.

On a less serious note, might be looking at things from the wrong direction, as I imagine it's more down to what is available, rather than going out having to recruit in this area or that. I'm sure we'll be looking at defenders, we'd be stupid not to, if a Championship level CB is available for a reasonable outlay, then I'm sure they'll take the plunge, if not, they'd probably be happy to stick.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Thu Nov 24, 2022 6:07 pm

shabba wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 11:32 am
Bluemike wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 11:28 am
shabba wrote:

I can't see it, would be hard to bring someone in and form a partnership mid season, plus I think KM trusts Woolfie and Burges, maybe Keogh but also might accept Edmundson is struggling. I just think it would rock the boat too much too bring in another, unless someone goes out and I cannot see that happening. If anything he might recall Ndaba if he needs another body. Getting a top CB will also likely be tricky in January, so many reasons why I don't see it happening.
Think you're right. They also brought in Keogh and shouldn't he be the next cab on the rank if we're changing CBs? Not convinced about him yet as he looks rusty as hell at times, but could be he'll only stay sharp if he gets regular games at 36.. I think Woolf and Edmundson are both strong enough and quick enough and are good footballers, but they re too error-prone. Especially Edmundson. I think we need to work with them from the coaching side rather than throw money around and jettison them. Edmundson needs to be taken out of the fiiring line as it looks like his head is frazzled. He can come back stronger just like Burgess. Rather we spent good money on a striker and/or no.10.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:18 pm

I don’t think either are actually very good
“defenders”, ( especially for this level). Burgess gives us a bit of steel and you feel confident that if that ball comes into the box with him in there that it’s dealt with. We need another CB alongside him . OR you play Woolfie alongside him, so you keep the featured fit , building out from the back, approach.

rossi

Post by rossi » Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:25 am

hallamblue wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:18 pm
I don’t think either are actually very good
“defenders”, ( especially for this level). Burgess gives us a bit of steel and you feel confident that if that ball comes into the box with him in there that it’s dealt with. We need another CB alongside him . OR you play Woolfie alongside him, so you keep the featured fit , building out from the back, approach.
I've always said that Edmundson reminds me of Berra - you can see the fear in his eyes every time the ball comes near him,
Keogh really ought to be able to cut it at this level - even at his age - but he needs a run of games to get him up to proper match fitness.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Nov 26, 2022 11:33 am

Do t know if you Walt he’d the Pompey cup game but they specifically targeted him 8n the second half. He had 3 Pompey players converge on him every time he was 8n possession. He did what he always does, and play it sideways to ( usually Woolfie). Not sure when Woolfie went off, or why. I’d have hoofed Edmundson off in the first half and played Burgess: Woolfie . We probably wouldn’t have lost if we’d started with those two.

Anyway , on to the league ( for me ) it’s much the priority.I’m not even fussed about the FA Cup. Get promoted and then worry about the cup next season.

shabba

Post by shabba » Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:17 pm

Seems TJJ has been recalled by Arsenal after his injury, fair enough.

lucy

Post by lucy » Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:30 am

I've seen an Article saying Macauley Bonne will be free to find a New Club in January. Is he worth giving another look at and would he want to come back here?.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:57 am

lucy wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:30 am
I've seen an Article saying Macauley Bonne will be free to find a New Club in January. Is he worth giving another look at and would he want to come back here?.
No!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Nov 28, 2022 9:45 am

Double No !

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:44 am

Triple no!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:47 am

I really liked what I saw of Gassan Ahadme last night, the header against the post in particular was something I think we all knew we were lacking, someone to dominate in the air in their box and cause them problems, none of our other strikers have that in their locker, Ladapo a little bit but great in the air.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:09 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:47 am
I really liked what I saw of Gassan Ahadme last night, the header against the post in particular was something I think we all knew we were lacking, someone to dominate in the air in their box and cause them problems, none of our other strikers have that in their locker, Ladapo a little bit but great in the air.
Yep I think the lad could turn out to be a good signing given time. Some pr*ck behind me was moaning about him and I said give him a chance as he has been out injured virtually since he signed for us. The idiot then said “ oh has he”. Funny didn’t hear anything more from him after he scored.

Denny61

Post by Denny61 » Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:35 pm

So what players or type of player do we need in Jan...obviously it will take a few games to gel.
Remember that word lol..hopefully by Jan .we be still in top two and a comfortable gap to 3rd place..if not. Then a very comfortable gap to forth. So it be down to a 3 horse race for two automatic places. I'm thinking 2 strikers ..a midfield ...we have to be converting some of those gilt edge chances we are creating in almost all matches..

shabba

Post by shabba » Mon Nov 28, 2022 5:19 pm

I think we just need to 'get through' this tricky December period where we have a pile of injuries and some big games. Shef Weds don't seem to have them so wouldn't surprise me if December shakes up the positions of the top 3.

As for players, suspect we will:

- Recall El Mizoni, having a strong season playing regular so can come straight in, knows the club/manager, an easy win for me to add cover.

- Sign a number 10 - likely on loan to replace TJJ, ideally someone like him who can play both as a striker and a 10.

- Possibly a striker but only IF it's a top target, i.e an upgrade on Ladapo and someone to be the out and out first choice.

So I think we will need 2 attacking players + the recall of El-Miz. I would say a LB if leigh is out again, but then I think KVY can do a good enough role as backup there.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:20 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:09 am
CEO Mark Ashton says the Blues will active in the January transfer window with the squad’s depth having been tested by injuries in recent weeks.

Forward Sone Aluko, midfielders Lee Evans and Dominic Ball and forward Tyreece John-Jules are all out at present, while Cameron Burgess, Gassan Ahadme and Greg Leigh are all just back after spells on the sidelines.

“When we built the squad in the summer, we built depth,” Ashton told iFollow Ipswich in a wide-ranging interview, which also covers the club’s continuing infrastructure developments, the PA and plans to knock down the old Office Outlet and Better Gym building on the land behind the Sir Alf Ramsey Stand.

“And right now that depth is being tested because we’re seeing a run of injuries, injuries that are a bizarre set because they’re all contact injuries, they’re all happening in-game or in game training, they’re not really soft tissue injuries.

“So we have to to go again, we have to make sure for the second part of the season we have the depth.

“All clubs are going to have injuries, we get that, we’ve got a good quality squad. We’re challenged a little bit by the 22-man squad rule because it’s got to fit into that so we can’t just go and spend, spend, spend and then not get them into the 22-man cap.

“But I think the fanbase will have learnt by now that myself, [manager] Kieran [McKenna], the recruitment team, the club, the owners, the investors, we’re active in transfer windows. This transfer will be no different.

“Kieran’s very clear on what he wants, he’s very clear on the positions he wants, he will not be rushed. He wants to make sure we’re bringing in better than we have and people that fit the culture of what he’s trying to build and will ultimately make the club better and more successful.

“So I anticipate us being active, we’re on that already. We finish a transfer window in the summer, we’re straight onto the January one, we don’t stop and start.

“I think we’ll be active and we need to see a second half of the season probably better than we’ve had in the first half, if we want to ultimately get to where we want to get to.

“It’s going to be tough, it’s a 46-game season, but we will make sure that we are prepared recruitment-wise for the second half and we will be supporting the manager in that.”

TWTD revealed earlier today that Swansea forward Morgan Whittaker, who is currently on loan with League One leaders Plymouth, is on Town’s list of potential January targets along with Brighton’s Republic of Ireland striker Evan Ferguson.

Mike We could also go for promising Irish Midfielder Connor Coventry from West Ham he's up for grabs on loan as his contract runs out in the summer, so try before you buy