League 1 - Wycombe Wanderers vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Can we stay top?

Wycombe Win
13%
Ipswich Win
50%
Draw
38%

Total votes: 16

Denny61

Re: League 1 - Wycombe Wanderers vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Denny61 » Sat Dec 17, 2022 6:04 pm

We really are just an average league one side .who is fortunate enough to have been dining at the top .our football is made look good by sides jst letting us pass it about.. we are finally getting caught out..I see us unfortunately been passed out by 3 to 4 sides And we be just looking at play offs ..we jst can't mix it .we need a bit of roughness and hoof ball as well sorry jst been honest

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sat Dec 17, 2022 6:13 pm

Denny61 wrote:
Sat Dec 17, 2022 6:04 pm
We really are just an average league one side .who is fortunate enough to have been dining at the top .our football is made look good by sides jst letting us pass it about.. we are finally getting caught out..I see us unfortunately been passed out by 3 to 4 sides And we be just looking at play offs ..we jst can't mix it .we need a bit of roughness and hoof ball as well sorry jst been honest
Each to their own I guess, but average sides tend not to be joint top scorers in the league, average sides don't find themselves in an automatic promotion spot almost half way through a season. Yes granted, top sides manage to find a way passed opponents like this and don't tend to concede poor goals.
Personally if you'd offered me a top 2 spot at Christmas I'd have said "yes please" every time.
Disappointed today? You bet, but we have bounced back after EVERY set back this season .....another thing average sides are not usually capable of.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sat Dec 17, 2022 6:20 pm

Another win for Barnsley today, if a team from outside the current top 3 are to make a run for automatic promotion I feel they could be the one.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Sat Dec 17, 2022 6:33 pm

AzzurroMark wrote:
Sat Dec 17, 2022 6:13 pm
Each to their own I guess, but average sides tend not to be joint top scorers in the league, average sides don't find themselves in an automatic promotion spot almost half way through a season.
Don't feed the troll. Truly rediculous thing to say. Anyone with half a brain knows Town are there on merit, and every start backs that up.

A blip. It happens.

Denny61

Post by Denny61 » Sat Dec 17, 2022 6:51 pm

Not a troll..followed town for 40 years.. jst my observation..we do have a very good manager and lucky to have him..but he has been with all the top coaches And clubs but what he may be lacking is that experience of managing or coach lower leagues and work up which gives a guy more insight in to what is wanted to break down teams who jst play pub football and all behind the ball. I really do hope we go up but fancy football and tactics can only get you so far..yes we are top scorers .but that' was achieved when we had our guys fresh and other teams wre still trying to work us out ..did we score today ...nooo...look back on our Past 5 matches .are we sticking away 3 to 5 games every second game noo..we jst can't become complacent..we need néw players in January..every team that plays us now are always going to up their game as they see us as the big team coming to town or visiting Portman Rd.. Next hand full of games are going to be very important .we need now to win our two home games.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat Dec 17, 2022 6:51 pm

You'd be a lot more honest admitting to being a belligerent fool that takes a few moments out from the PInk ' Un to stir up sh*t on a rival's message board but some just aren't worth further attention.

Caught the score late and first reaction, one of disappointment. Stats don't make plesant reading, we controlled the majority of it by way of goal opportunity and possession but came away with nothing. I know we're one of the leading scoring teams in the division but it's the not the first time we've been real ahead in terms of goal chances and lost. We've got lots of attacking options but sometimes they just don't find the target; lack a desired cutting edge etc.

Plymouth win also, just adds further anger to today although SWFC did in fact drop points. Will continue to gain game reaction but seems the opponents produced something of a steal today. Wycombe aren't particularly a good side, we should be or are, better than they are, but bottom line here being the players we got just aren't (always) taking the opportunities that come their way. If that could be rectified, we'd be right on course for auto promotion with little concerns about whether we make it or not.

rossi

Post by rossi » Sat Dec 17, 2022 7:11 pm

valleyroad wrote:
Fri Dec 16, 2022 5:47 pm
I'm going for Town to push on and win again.
2-0 to Ipswich
don't give up your day job :astroll:

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Sat Dec 17, 2022 7:27 pm

Denny61 wrote:
When you post after a win, I may believe you are not a troll. Until then, go away and be negative in a different part of your life...

edited by Frosty

rossi

Post by rossi » Sat Dec 17, 2022 7:29 pm

Ricco wrote:
Sat Dec 17, 2022 6:33 pm
AzzurroMark wrote:
Sat Dec 17, 2022 6:13 pm
Each to their own I guess, but average sides tend not to be joint top scorers in the league, average sides don't find themselves in an automatic promotion spot almost half way through a season.
Don't feed the troll. Truly rediculous thing to say. Anyone with half a brain knows Town are there on merit, and every start backs that up.

A blip. It happens.
Really, he's a troll? How do you know? Do you have actual proof of this, or is it just your opinion based on nothing at all?

The only 'truly ridiculous thing to say' is to accuse somebody of being something when there is absolutely no proof of it.

Anybody with a brain, or only half a brain, or even less than that, is entitled to their opinion - and who's to say that they're wrong and you're right?

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Sat Dec 17, 2022 7:41 pm

It's a disappointing result. But the facts speak for themselves: second in the league, joint highest scorers, joint highest goal difference, and bookies favourite for the title.

Wednesday will be more p☆☆sed off with their home draw with Oxford, and quite rightly so.

Denny61

Post by Denny61 » Sat Dec 17, 2022 7:44 pm

Thank you rossi..

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sat Dec 17, 2022 7:53 pm

JohnnyB wrote:
Sat Dec 17, 2022 7:41 pm
Wednesday will be more p☆☆sed off with their home draw with Oxford, and quite rightly so.
Indeed they'll be gutted. A 1-0 win would've pushed us out of the top 2.
Like the positive posting. 👍

shabba

Post by shabba » Sat Dec 17, 2022 8:43 pm

Hard one to take today, you’d rather we lost having given our all than to not have turned up.

The frustrating part is that this keeps happening now, IMO we are so close to being unstoppable, we just need to be a tad tighter at the back and more clinical at the top - everything else is great.

Agree with Hallums comments for sure.

I really hope that if we can make 2 good additions in January and then keep the injures down then we should have a very good chance for auto promotion.
We could easily have won 3-1 on another day with that same level of performance.

Agree Barnsley are certainly sneaking up

It shouts volumes that we would all have taken this position at the start of the season, yet we are all frustrated now because the performances have actually been ahead of our points haul.

We must keep the faith and remember this is our 4th season in league one and we have NEVER made the playoffs. Saying that Oxford is a must win now.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Dec 17, 2022 9:22 pm

Denny61 wrote:
Spoken like a true budgie there I’d say.

edited by Frosty

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Dec 17, 2022 9:23 pm

Denny61 wrote:
Sat Dec 17, 2022 7:44 pm
Thank you rossi..
Troll!

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Dec 17, 2022 9:26 pm

Shed on tour wrote:
Sat Dec 17, 2022 6:20 pm
Another win for Barnsley today, if a team from outside the current top 3 are to make a run for automatic promotion I feel they could be the one.
Yip, They are a side very much in form…this promotion melarkie is far from a “ dead cert”, and I’ve maintained that since day one. We need to put our chances away when we get the. (we don’t), and defend better when we are actually tested, (we don’t do that either).

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Dec 17, 2022 9:51 pm

McKenna not a happy bunny. I think there definitely will be additions in January, and it can’t come soon enough .

https://twitter.com/IpswichTown/status/1604169

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Sat Dec 17, 2022 10:57 pm

rossi wrote:
Sat Dec 17, 2022 7:29 pm
Really, he's a troll? How do you know? Do you have actual proof of this, or is it just your opinion based on nothing at all?
Ah be quiet Rossi, that's boring, stop trying to start petty arguments.

The statement that Town are an average league 1 side is ludicrous and this isn't a court of law, so I don't need to drag up official documents to prove my opinion. I really don't care if he's a troll, a Norwich supporter, an Ipswich supporter, or King Charles, it's a rediculous thing to say and I don't think being called a troll is that harsh. Besides, I'm certain he doesn't need you getting on your high horse and riding in with shining armour to stand up for him, and I've got far worse names I could try out if you care to persevere further?? :wink:

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Sat Dec 17, 2022 11:01 pm

Denny61 wrote:
Thank you rossi..
Trust me, his response is all about me and zero about you I'm afraid, but you can think of him as some altruistic moral policeman if you like, only it's more like Jack the Ripper being in charge of Scotland Yard.
hallamblue wrote:
Sat Dec 17, 2022 9:23 pm
Denny61 wrote:
Thank you rossi..
Troll!
Almost missed that :lol: :lol:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Dec 17, 2022 11:16 pm

Denny61, troll or not, has a point with being dragged into the play-offs IF the team do not start putting away chances. No doubt why KMcK is clearly unhappy by todays outing. As a fan who can only read reports, it gets a tad irritating reading about the chances not taken in games.

Get Xmas out the way then its a massive few months ahead for the team. Hoping a League One Mbappe can arrive in January. 🙏🤦‍♂️

Mauswara

Post by Mauswara » Sat Dec 17, 2022 11:53 pm

arana peligrosa wrote:
Sat Dec 17, 2022 6:51 pm
Wycombe aren't particularly a good side
I fervently hope that was the last time we ever visit High Wycombe.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun Dec 18, 2022 3:16 am

Wonder why they put high in the name. What, is it on a mountain or something, they got a higher altitude than Bolivia there or what.

Caught game highlights maybe an hour ago, there wasn't much to see in way they don't show much. It's a one goal loss in a game where we really should have taken something from the trip out, sure as hell weren't going to give it a second viewing.

Problem here is, the next few game we got coming look formidable. Oxford won't be no pushovers, we've struggled against Portsmouth before after that, then Lincoln, Rotherham and the crunch match with Plymouth in mid-January. Being rational you can see some further dropped points along the way but these things are always subject to change.

Best direction here, not to dwell on today. We picked up a sh*t score. The opposition got a win they didn't really deserve but it's not the first time, it won't be the last. I (try to) look for the positives, made it through to the 3rd round F.A. Cup with a doable fixture and we're in a great position to gain an auto promotion by end of season. One or two areas of the team need focus and amendment but it's the managers job to oversee such things. I have to have faith in McKenna in that he can do it.

rossi

Post by rossi » Sun Dec 18, 2022 8:51 am

Ricco wrote:
Sat Dec 17, 2022 11:01 pm
Denny61 wrote:
Thank you rossi..
Trust me, his response is all about me and zero about you I'm afraid, but you can think of him as some altruistic moral policeman if you like, only it's more like Jack the Ripper being in charge of Scotland Yard.

Ah be quiet Rossi, that's boring, stop trying to start petty arguments.

The statement that Town are an average league 1 side is ludicrous and this isn't a court of law, so I don't need to drag up official documents to prove my opinion. I really don't care if he's a troll, a Norwich supporter, an Ipswich supporter, or King Charles, it's a rediculous thing to say and I don't think being called a troll is that harsh. Besides, I'm certain he doesn't need you getting on your high horse and riding in with shining armour to stand up for him, and I've got far worse names I could try out if you care to persevere further??
Pity you didn't read my comment properly, I wasn't banging on about us being an average side or not, I took exception to your referring to a member of this board as a troll, and asked you if you had any proof of this which apparently you don't.

There is no need to be abusive towards anybody who has a different opinion to yourself - in this thread you call him a troll and another member calls him a tw@t - not in the spirit of the forum I think, and against forum guidelines too.

As for my comments being 'all about you', you flatter yourself - I just don't like to see fellow members insulted by narrow-minded individuals. You wanna try bringing out far worse names at me - no problem, bring it on big boy :wink:

Mauswara

Post by Mauswara » Sun Dec 18, 2022 9:18 am

arana peligrosa wrote:
Sun Dec 18, 2022 3:16 am
Wonder why they put high in the name.
So I did a search for Low Wycombe, just in case, and got one result, from a Hartlepool United fan site.
https://www.monkeybizz.net/2012/03/low-wycombe_2.html

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Dec 18, 2022 9:27 am

Mauswara wrote:
Sun Dec 18, 2022 9:18 am
arana peligrosa wrote:
So I did a search for Low Wycombe, just in case, and got one result, from a Hartlepool United fan site.
I wondered why they put Great in the Great Yarmouth name. I'm still wondering. Unless Great is an olde-worlde name for Poorer man's Blackpool.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Dec 18, 2022 10:01 am

Denny61 wrote:
Sat Dec 17, 2022 6:51 pm
Not a troll..followed town for 40 years.. jst my observation..we do have a very good manager and lucky to have him..but he has been with all the top coaches And clubs but what he may be lacking is that experience of managing or coach lower leagues and work up which gives a guy more insight in to what is wanted to break down teams who jst play pub football and all behind the ball. I really do hope we go up but fancy football and tactics can only get you so far..yes we are top scorers .but that' was achieved when we had our guys fresh and other teams wre still trying to work us out ..did we score today ...nooo...look back on our Past 5 matches .are we sticking away 3 to 5 games every second game noo..we jst can't become complacent..we need néw players in January..every team that plays us now are always going to up their game as they see us as the big team coming to town or visiting Portman Rd.. Next hand full of games are going to be very important .we need now to win our two home games.
I've called you out before pal, if you were as you say, a fan of 40 years you would have the decency and common sense to come on here and post something positive about your club once in a while, sadly you don't, where we're you after the Peterborough game ? You only appear after a defeat or a draw with the likes of Fleetwood, you portray yourself as a uneducated cretin and you do it well.

For what it's worth I agree with every word Ricco, Wilf and Hallam have said, this is a good forum with decent people, I may not always see eye to eye with everyone but I do know they are true Town fans, especially as I've met most of them, you on the other hand do come across as an irksome troll with the intelligence of a slug, and for the record I'm being nice cus what I really want to say is probably unprintable and then there's the Moderator thing around my neck. I'll leave it there but next time I have to read your bile I will really go to town so if you can't take it don't dish the trolling sh*te.

Oh and up the Blackburn, fab result don't you think?

Mauswara

Post by Mauswara » Sun Dec 18, 2022 10:56 am

Tangfastic wrote:
Sun Dec 18, 2022 9:27 am
Mauswara wrote:
Sun Dec 18, 2022 9:18 am
arana peligrosa wrote:
I wondered why they put Great in the Great Yarmouth name. I'm still wondering. Unless Great is an olde-worlde name for Poorer man's Blackpool.
Yeah but there is a Little Yarmouth, so I guess they have an excuse. Grew up on the Tendring peninsula (aka the Essex Riviera) and they have Great and Little Bentleys and Oakleys.

Also Great Bentley could become Bent Greatly at times.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun Dec 18, 2022 11:43 am

It was always gonna be a difficult match at Wycombe. This is a tough league, and I'm as guilty as anyone for expecting us to beat most of the teams. Just a bit of tweaking in January, and we should still be alright for automatic promotion. We need Chaplin to start finding the net again, and it would be awesome if we can pick up a natural finisher in the window to aid Ladapo's inconsistency.

2nd in the league at Christmas, ain't that bad...is it Denny? :wink:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Dec 18, 2022 12:25 pm

number 9 wrote:
Sun Dec 18, 2022 11:43 am
It was always gonna be a difficult match at Wycombe. This is a tough league, and I'm as guilty as anyone for expecting us to beat most of the teams. Just a bit of tweaking in January, and we should still be alright for automatic promotion. We need Chaplin to start finding the net again, and it would be awesome if we can pick up a natural finisher in the window to aid Ladapo's inconsistency.

2nd in the league at Christmas, ain't that bad...is it Denny? :wink:
9, I thought Ladapo had a really good game yesterday which the commentators alluded too also, some of his touches and turns and hold up play was really good, did you not think he did ok? Clearly goals define strikers but I thought that aside he had one of his better games.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun Dec 18, 2022 1:06 pm

^^^
I meant inconsistent scoring, BM. He’s not a bad striker, I just think he needs to score a few more.