League 1 - Ipswich Town vs Oxford United Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Can we turn dominance into points?

Ipswich Win
69%
Oxford Win
6%
Draw
25%

Total votes: 16

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Re: League 1 - Ipswich Town vs Oxford United Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Charnwood » Mon Dec 26, 2022 5:50 pm

After this performance I can’t see us spending money on another striker.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Dec 26, 2022 5:50 pm

Whittaker for Plymouth. No sign of them folding yet.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Dec 26, 2022 6:03 pm

So well played Town 👍…. I thought during that first 20 mins,” here we go again”( with Oxfords style / tactics and us not seemingly even out if the blocks on front of a big crowd again).

No let up though coz SWFC and Plymouth both win. Just got to love how well so many of our players played today .

BRILLIANT 3 points 👍👍👍

Ps for me, the BIG difference was Harness back in the side up front.
Last edited by hallamblue on Mon Dec 26, 2022 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Mon Dec 26, 2022 6:03 pm

3-0, not bad for an average league 1 team. Shame no slip up from rivals, but good stuff.

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Mon Dec 26, 2022 6:08 pm

Very solid performance in the end move on to the next game at Portsmouth full of confidence 👏

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Dec 26, 2022 6:10 pm

Huge response after Wycombe. Great stuff lads.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Dec 26, 2022 6:56 pm

Great result and performance after a terrible opening 25 mins. Getting the second goal when on top makes such a difference, I thought Freddie was really on it today and led the line well, Leif Davis too was excellent. Plymouth and Wednesday both winning was disappointing but not unexpected.

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Mon Dec 26, 2022 7:06 pm

Great result -and another bogie team despatched

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Mon Dec 26, 2022 7:34 pm

After the first 25, we cruised to the win. Well played all round. No noise from our resident 'doom monger' Denny61 I see....😂

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Dec 26, 2022 8:33 pm

That says everything doesn’t it Blue Wilf! :wink:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Dec 26, 2022 9:05 pm

Maybe he's out celebrating.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Dec 26, 2022 9:07 pm

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Dec 26, 2022 9:15 pm

marko69 wrote:
Mon Dec 26, 2022 9:05 pm
Maybe he's out celebrating.
Or maybe he's just a tw*t ? Merry Christmas

shabba

Post by shabba » Mon Dec 26, 2022 9:32 pm

I think today showed how much we’ve missed having so many players out, evans was good, hanress and Davies ran them ragged all day etc.

Just having a stronger squad again is really helping.

Great result and as others have said much needed given The results of the other 2, plus we have both of them coming up soon.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Dec 26, 2022 9:41 pm

Agreed Shabba, but what it also illustrates is how good our squad is, in depth, that we’ve managed to hold onto 2nd place DESPITE these injuries. I don’t think Plymouth or Sheff Weds have had this level of injuries, have they?

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Mon Dec 26, 2022 10:21 pm

marko69 wrote:
Mon Dec 26, 2022 9:07 pm
https://youtu.be/0GX_jNw4rZo
Is that your first YouTube link that wasn't an 80s classic or a cult comedy?! I was taken by surprise :lol:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Dec 26, 2022 10:52 pm

Ricco wrote:
Mon Dec 26, 2022 10:21 pm
marko69 wrote:
Mon Dec 26, 2022 9:07 pm
https://youtu.be/0GX_jNw4rZo
Is that your first YouTube link that wasn't an 80s classic or a cult comedy?! I was taken by surprise :lol:
Surely was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Mon Dec 26, 2022 11:09 pm

More like it, normal service has been resumed, had me worried for a moment.

Andym

Post by Andym » Tue Dec 27, 2022 11:59 am

For an hour we were pretty unstoppable. Wonderful to watch. A great day. I came home to watch the mighty Luton….

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Tue Dec 27, 2022 12:17 pm

Loved the goal scored by ladapo yesterday. So often we fail to pick up the scraps but he was in the right place to do so.
I thought some of the football we played between our first goal and half-time was the best I've seen for ages. Didn't want the whistle to blow for half-time.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Dec 27, 2022 1:01 pm

That was our best performance for a while and was a joy to watch. The starting line up was probably the strongest X1 we can put out and even the five subs individually didn’t appear to weaken the team.

If we can keep these players fit our prospects for the second half of the season look good, but with Plymouth, Sheff Wednesday, and Barnsley showing no signs of any let up there’s no room for slip ups.

With two away games over the next few days at Pompey and Lincoln we need to be on our game and looking for wins ahead of the showdown with Plymouth which could have a massive bearing on each teams chances of automatic promotion.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Tue Dec 27, 2022 1:23 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Tue Dec 27, 2022 1:01 pm
That was our best performance for a while and was a joy to watch. The starting line up was probably the strongest X1 we can put out and even the five subs individually didn’t appear to weaken the team.

If we can keep these players fit our prospects for the second half of the season look good, but with Plymouth, Sheff Wednesday, and Barnsley showing no signs of any let up there’s no room for slip ups.

With two away games over the next few days at Pompey and Lincoln we need to be on our game and looking for wins ahead of the showdown with Plymouth which could have a massive bearing on each teams chances of automatic promotion.
I honestly think the race for the automatic places will go right down to the wire and wouldn’t like to predict which team will miss out and finish in a playoff spot. Whoever does will have a big job on their hands to lift themselves for the challenge. I think MK Dons finished with something like 89 points last season and ended up in 3rd place and then went out to Wycombe in the playoff semi-finals. Would not surprise me if the same thing happens to the team finishing 3rd this year.

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Tue Dec 27, 2022 2:28 pm

Just watched the highlights and tbh a pretty convincing win, should of been more but let's not be greedy eh.

Having the injured lads back has made a huge difference, some really good play and Mike will be pleased with Woolfie playing his part in goal no.1 lol.

Looking forward to the next couple of games and onto Plymouth in Jan, we have to dispatch them, will show real intent and start their downfall, hopefully.

Cheers all and hope you had a good Christmas, hoping the team have a nice but reserved celebratory drink.

Andym

Post by Andym » Tue Dec 27, 2022 3:41 pm

Shed on tour wrote:
Tue Dec 27, 2022 12:17 pm
Loved the goal scored by ladapo yesterday. So often we fail to pick up the scraps but he was in the right place to do so.
That is so important. It is great to score well worked goals but picking those up make all the difference. It turned the match yesterday.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Tue Dec 27, 2022 4:51 pm

All teams are there to be beaten, nobody said any game in this division was easy or simply straight forward. Right off the bat don't always approve of how the manager deploys his formation but more often than not it brings results. Not every time, but often. Would prefer a more attacking approach from us when starting games. Aluko and Jackson could have started and Chaplin leading scorer or not, midfield isn't hs natural position.

Just wonder how many more goals could be in the team if McKenna favored a stronger attack minded line-up when games first get underway. Not so much a criticism but kind of dismay we could be finding goals more often with the right set-up and stronger urge / penetration going forward.

Yesterday's score was deserved, we got a round comprehensive victory but soured to some extent by nearest rivals picking up victories also. There's some real tough games coming up, some against teams around us. They will be pivotal without doubt.

Norwich got a loss also, adds a certain added pleasure to yesterday and there's every chance we'll be playing them in August. They will however, need a new team coach as believe they one they got right now, or had, was dismissed an hour or two back. Vacancy at Carrow Road, wonder who they'll bring in etc.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Dec 27, 2022 5:03 pm

arana peligrosa wrote:
Tue Dec 27, 2022 4:51 pm
All teams are there to be beaten, nobody said any game in this division was easy or simply straight forward. Right off the bat don't always approve of how the manager deploys his formation but more often than not it brings results. Not every time, but often. Would prefer a more attacking approach from us when starting games. Aluko and Jackson could have started and Chaplin leading scorer or not, midfield isn't hs natural position.

Just wonder how many more goals could be in the team if McKenna favored a stronger attack minded line-up when games first get underway. Not so much a criticism but kind of dismay we could be finding goals more often with the right set-up and stronger urge / penetration going forward.

Yesterday's score was deserved, we got a round comprehensive victory but soured to some extent by nearest rivals picking up victories also. There's some real tough games coming up, some against teams around us. They will be pivotal without doubt.

Norwich got a loss also, adds a certain added pleasure to yesterday and there's every chance we'll be playing them in August. They will however, need a new team coach as believe they one they got right now, or had, was dismissed an hour or two back. Vacancy at Carrow Road, wonder who they'll bring in etc.
Absolutely ZERO more goals. How many times @ HT have the stats been 75% possession, 68 shots, 43 on target, four hundred and thirty eight corners ——->> 0-0
Think Kieron knows his team inside out……. And he knows what he’s doing. None of this is luck……… he isn’t “stumbling upon” form like Lambert, Hurst or Cook.

Praying there are no injuries and its a good January spend. 🙏

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Dec 27, 2022 6:06 pm

Shed on tour wrote:
Tue Dec 27, 2022 1:23 pm
Charnwood wrote:
Tue Dec 27, 2022 1:01 pm

I honestly think the race for the automatic places will go right down to the wire and wouldn’t like to predict which team will miss out and finish in a playoff spot. Whoever does will have a big job on their hands to lift themselves for the challenge. I think MK Dons finished with something like 89 points last season and ended up in 3rd place and then went out to Wycombe in the playoff semi-finals. Would not surprise me if the same thing happens to the team finishing 3rd this year.

I couldn’t agree more about the prospect of what might be in store for the team finishing 3rd or that the race for the automatic promotion places will go to the wire. This is exactly why we need to win our home game v Plymouth on the 14th which would significantly improve our chances of making sure we finish in one of those top two places.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Dec 27, 2022 8:28 pm

We HAVE to beat both Sheffield Weds and Plymouth at PR. Thus will be in front of circa 28+k crowds. I wasn’t at PR as am unwell, but I thought the crowd came across as nervous, which translates to the players . Don’t know what Mike felt as he was at PR. Did we get nervy in the stands Mike? My point being really, we have a huge roll to play in those two games but it’s very hard when your heart is thumping and your mouth is dry from anxiety lol !!

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Tue Dec 27, 2022 9:19 pm

The crowd seemed subdued to me for large periods of the game. I think much of this is people feeling tentative , the fact that we give goals away and 1 goal is never enough! Lets hope after wins versus P'boro and now Oxford, those fears subside...🤞

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Dec 27, 2022 10:08 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Tue Dec 27, 2022 8:28 pm
We HAVE to beat both Sheffield Weds and Plymouth at PR. Thus will be in front of circa 28+k crowds. I wasn’t at PR as am unwell, but I thought the crowd came across as nervous, which translates to the players . Don’t know what Mike felt as he was at PR. Did we get nervy in the stands Mike? My point being really, we have a huge roll to play in those two games but it’s very hard when your heart is thumping and your mouth is dry from anxiety lol !!
Slap some egg mayo. & bacon on that thing and I'll go book a train ticket. 👌