League 1 - Portsmouth FC vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

A tough 3 points to win?

Portsmouth Win
6%
Ipswich Win
63%
Draw
31%

Total votes: 16

Frosty
Forum Owner

League 1 - Portsmouth FC vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Frosty » Tue Dec 27, 2022 9:14 pm

Image Portsmouth FC vs Ipswich Town Image

Thursday 29th December – 19:45

Fratton Park

Pre-Match Thoughts - Mike

Town and Oxford traded punches in a Boxing day masterclass but it was Town who prevailed and delivered the knockout blow with Three goals to claim Three massive points in the promotion race that keeps us in prime position for promotion. After a shaky opening Twenty Minutes the Boy's in Blue gradually gained control off a stubborn Oxford team to stamp our class on proceedings and what we saw over the final Seventy Minutes of the match was about as good as we have seen at Portman Road this campaign.

Much has been mentioned about the need for a new striker, a goal poacher who can do the dirty stuff and get those scrappy goals, well we got just that with the opener as Freddie Ladapo was on hand to tap in as he followed up Conor Chaplin's effort which was saved by the Oxford keeper but the loose ball was pounced on by Town's Number Nine who duly scored his Tenth of the season, yes folks Ten !!! The goal came at a crucial time too with Half Time approaching, however Town were not done and it was Wes Burns, who up to this point had been a little frustrating, that fired home a superb effort to double our lead just before the interval. A clever corner from Leif Davis was played short to the near post where Burns was on hand to brilliantly fire across goal and into the net, it was a super finish and one that was oh so valuable to Town who so often fail to convert that second chance when on top.

The second half really was all Town and in truth we never looked like surrendering the lead we had built up in the opening Forty five, chances came for Ladapo, Harness, Evans & Burns, all to no avail but it really was all One way traffic. With both teams making changes the clear strength in depth which Town possess was clear to see with Aluko, Jackson, KVY, Edwards and Humphreys all being introduced, in between the changes Town finally got the Third goal their dominance deserved, once again it was that man Conor Chaplin who supplied a lovely finish to fire home his Eleventh of the season following a neat set up from sub Aluko.

I thought Leif Davis and Freddie Ladapo were the Two stand out performers yesterday while Evans, Chaplin & Harness also had decent games, at the back the Central defensive duo of Burgess & Woolfenden stood firm and were largely untroubled but in truth it was an impressive team performance where everyone deserved credit. Oxford are not an easy side by any means and they came into the game Ten unbeaten, their boss is in little doubt that we are the best team he has seen which is high praise indeed although nothing I personally did not already know. Plymouth & Sheff Wed kept the pressure on with expected wins but if we keep doing what we need to do it won't matter what they do.

The games come thick and fast over Christmas and next up is the return trip to Fratton park and the lovable tosser Danny Cowley, for some reason I have grown to despise everything about this club and it's boss so for me this is a game I really want us to win, not just for the obvious reason but for the above mentioned too. If we prevail it will give us the double over the South Coast club after we triumphed by the odd goal in Five at Portman Road back at the beginning of October, the performance was more dominant than the scoreline shows as the ref was awarding them penalties for fun but Town stood firm to grind out the win. Pompey are currently in Mid Division and struggling to keep in touch with the play off race, they do have games in hand but inconsistency is costing them and the top Six is looking a tall order. No doubt the atmosphere will be loud and hostile, it always is but Town will hopefully be up for the task and I am opting for a narrow Town win in what promises to be a very tense and tricky game. Big Big Away win for me. COYB'S.

The Opposition – Portsmouth FC Honours

League competitions

First Tier: Football League First Division (1888–1992) > Premier League (1992–present)
Champions (2): 1948–49, 1949–50

Second Tier: Football League Second Division (1892–1992) > Football League First Division (1992–2004) > EFL Championship (2004–present)
Champions (1): 2002–03
Runners-up (2): 1926–27, 1986–87

Third Tier: Football League Third Division South (1921–1958) > Football League Third Division (1958–1992) > EFL League One (2004–present)
Champions (3): 1923–24 (South), 1961–62, 1982–83

Fourth Tier: Football League Fourth Division (1958-1992) > Football League Third Division (1992-2004) > EFL League Two (2004–present)
Champions (1): 2016–17

Southern Football League First Division
Champions (2): 1901–02 (not elected for promotion), 1919–20
Runners-up (2): 1899–1900, 1906–1907
Southern Football League Second Division
Runners-up (1): 1911–12

Western Football League First Division
Champions (3): 1900–01, 1901–02, 1902–03

Cup competitions

FA Cup
Winners (2): 1938–39, 2007–08
Runners-up (3): 1928–29, 1933–34, 2009–10

FA Community Shield
Winners (1): 1949 (shared)
Runners-up (1): 2008

EFL Trophy
Winners (1): 2018–19
Runners-up (1): 2019–20

Hampshire Senior Cup
Winners (4): 1903, 1913, 1952, 1987
Runners-up (4): 1900, 1904, 1905, 1959

The Manager – Danny Cowley

League Table as at 27.12.2022

Form Guide

Portsmouth FC

18 Nov Portsmouth 0 - 0 Derby County

4 Dec Wycombe 2 - 0 Portsmouth

10 Dec Accrington pp. Portsmouth

17 Dec Portsmouth 0 - 2 Milton Keynes

26 Dec Exeter City 0 - 0 Portsmouth

Ipswich Town

19 Nov Exeter City 0 - 2 Ipswich Town

2 Dec Ipswich Town 1 - 1 Fleetwood

10 Dec Ipswich Town 2 - 1 Peterborough

17 Dec Wycombe 1 - 0 Ipswich Town

26 Dec Ipswich Town 3 - 0 Oxford Utd

Head to Head

Match Referee – Sam Allison

PORTSMOUTH 0 IPSWICH TOWN 1

shabba

Re: League 1 - Portsmouth FC vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by shabba » Tue Dec 27, 2022 10:09 pm

I really hope we don’t change the lineup, KM likes to play Jackson away but I’d rather see Ladapo again, especially as he has played well of late and got his goal yesterday.

If everyone’s fit I’d like to see the same XI

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Dec 27, 2022 10:24 pm

Portsmouth boss Danny Cowley has revealed an illness bug has swept through his Pompey squad, ruling players out of Boxing Day’s 0-0 draw at Exeter. The Hampshire club face the Blues at Fratton Park on Thursday evening.

Midfielder Jay Mingi and on-loan Tottenham striker Dane Scarlett were both sidelined for the game against the Grecians due to the bug unrelated to Covid, which affects the throat and head, as well as causing a fever.

In addition, defender Connor Ogilvie was unable to warm-up despite being named on the bench and Joe Morrell was also among the subs having only recently recovered, while Marlon Pack, Josh Griffiths and Colby Bishop were all in the side despite having been unwell.

“We’ve had some challenges for sure,” Cowley told the Portsmouth News. Dane Scarlett’s got a throat infection, so has Jay Mingi, I have changed the team about 15 times this week.

“Josh Griffiths wasn’t very well, Marlon Pack wasn't very well, Connor Ogilvie didn’t warm-up during the game because he deteriorated over the day. We would have used him, but only in extreme circumstances.

“Colby Bishop has been unwell, Joe Morrell didn’t train until Christmas, it has been difficult, it has been a challenge.

“I know the group, it’s a good group, it’s an honest group, and they could have easily used it as an excuse, particularly around the Christmas period. They are very professional and want to help the team and club.

“It seems to be three variants [of illness], those that have had Covid think it’s worse than that. It’s throat, head, a fever.

“I have some empathy for them, I had it at the beginning of the week, but was in work – and there is a difference between me being in work and able to play football.

“I was pretty poorly, then [brother and assistant manager] Nicky had it and then all the players got it. You know what it’s like, as soon as you travel on the coach and in the changing room, once one or two get it spreads like wildfire.”

Cowley is hoping to have players back before Thursday’s match and that no one else succumbs between now and then.

He added: “I said to them in there, those that are ill try to get better as quickly as they can – and those that are not ill try to stay away from those that have it.

“It has been an ever-changing situation and not easy to manage. Hopefully some will be back for Ipswich.”

Town boss Kieran McKenna revealed that there had been illness in the Blues squad ahead of the 3-0 Boxing Day victory over Oxford.

“We’ve had a little bit of unwellness in the camp,” he said. “So I thought there were a few in the first 15, 20 minutes finding their touch, finding their lungs, finding their legs and tactically getting to grips with the game.”

Andym

Post by Andym » Tue Dec 27, 2022 11:41 pm

Cowley is a tit. I’m not sure I believe anything he says. Is he getting his excuses in early? They are crucible not in the best run of form. A game we have to win, simply because they aren’t doing well and Cowley is a tit.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Dec 28, 2022 12:07 am

That Danny Cowley bloke doesn't look like a total scruffy bstd after a shave. Completely different. :shock: Must stick out like a sore thumb in the shed that is Portsmouth.

Nice preview...... Managed to catch highlights of the game......, very Gary Lineker-like goal for Freddie, and incidentally; looked like none of that happens if Woolfenden isn't hugely involved. Nice control and vision outside the box. 2nd goal? ---->>> if that's a training ground set-piece, superb stuff. Great to see Aluko back and involved in the 3rd....... Although re that 3rd, if that's Ipswich defence, you'd have a few choice words. Bit of a late gift wrapped pressie.

Because of the Pilgrims & Wednesday continuing to win, coupled with Shed On Tour's post about 3rd place ----->>> it's a must win game really. They'll all be from now on in this 3 horse race. Reckon a 2-1 away win. Lemsip / Ibuprofen 1 Couple o' Paracetamol 2.

Ref caption:

Player: "What the hell you doing ref?"
Ref: "I'm adjusting the tackle while waiting on 4th official. Do you mind!"

Cowley:
Chairman: "HEY? Excuse me. Who are you?"
Cowley: "Dan Cowley. The manager? Had a shave this morning. Fist bump?"

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed Dec 28, 2022 1:40 am

With the injured players now coming back, I don’t see any excuses for not winning this one. We better take advantage of these up coming fixtures cuz it’s only gonna get more difficult. With that said, I vote for a 1-1 draw.

Mauswara

Post by Mauswara » Wed Dec 28, 2022 3:30 am

It will be nice if we get a couple of penalties.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Dec 28, 2022 1:47 pm

Is Kieran McKenna playing mind games or has our squad got the bloody bug too now.

Cabanas Blue

Post by Cabanas Blue » Wed Dec 28, 2022 3:59 pm

It does not sound good 7 showing signs 😫

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Wed Dec 28, 2022 5:04 pm

It would be of some benefit to all of us if knew which players were affected or likely to miss out. 'Tis the season of viruses and all, coming down with something oneself but hopefully benign and short lived. Point being, no-one is above it.

Voted to win, we just got to press on and expect victories with each coming game. It will be tough but the team put out can do it. We got goals in the squad and some reliable names from the bench that can contribute. Victory while not imperative would offer some real fine morale for players and fans alike in the weeks ahead.

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Thu Dec 29, 2022 4:10 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Dec 28, 2022 1:47 pm
Is Kieran McKenna playing mind games or has our squad got the bloody bug too now.
Let's hope it's mind games. Cowley started early saying they have got sickness in their squad. Also saying Town are the best team in the League blah! blah!. Cowley is just a cnut.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Dec 29, 2022 4:54 pm

Shedload of sickness going about......, and its just after xmas, where a shedload of people all got together and shared sickness and chest infections and even pneumonia ......, don't think it's mind games.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Dec 29, 2022 5:17 pm

Whilst teams are definitely suffering from sickness ( as us the rest of this country), he is undoubtedly full of sh*t, and likes to get his excuses in before games. Having said that Pompey fir done reason view us as arch rivals which is bizarre, but this will be a hell of a physical test tonight . And it depends which team is least weakened through illness that will probably win tonight.

Andym

Post by Andym » Thu Dec 29, 2022 6:36 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Thu Dec 29, 2022 5:17 pm
Whilst teams are definitely suffering from sickness ( as us the rest of this country), he is undoubtedly full of sh*t, and likes to get his excuses in before games. Having said that Pompey fir done reason view us as arch rivals which is bizarre, but this will be a hell of a physical test tonight . And it depends which team is least weakened through illness that will probably win tonight.
I think that is true. I was confident until I saw our squad is to be weakened. We weren’t as good while our bench was less strong.
Even worse I’ve been invited out tonight so I can’t watch.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Dec 29, 2022 6:42 pm

Andym wrote:
Thu Dec 29, 2022 6:36 pm
I’ve been invited out tonight so I can’t watch.
They need you to get the party started, Andy?

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Thu Dec 29, 2022 6:44 pm

Andym wrote:
Thu Dec 29, 2022 6:36 pm
hallamblue wrote:
Thu Dec 29, 2022 5:17 pm
I think that is true. I was confident until I saw our squad is to be weakened. We weren’t as good while our bench was less strong.
Even worse I’ve been invited out tonight so I can’t watch.
Crikey it must be one helluva special invite Andy, you certainly wouldn’t get me out tonight, and that’s from one who often says “I never let football or golf rule my life”. 🤣

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Thu Dec 29, 2022 7:05 pm

Pompey will certainly be wanting to avenge their 3-2 defeat at Portman Road which ended their 9 match unbeaten run at the start of the season. That loss to us on 1 October seems to have affected them quite badly because since then they’ve played 10 League One games and only won once, away at Forest Green 1-2 on 18 Oct, so it’s now 7 games without a win, albeit only 2 defeats with 4 draws. This performance in the form tables though drops them to 20th compared to Town sitting 3rd, so everything points to another win for Town against a team we’ve often struggled to get the better of.

Let’s hope we can field another strong team tonight.

Prediction; Pompey 0 - 2 Town.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Dec 29, 2022 7:16 pm

I bet both teams are strong tonight and to be fair even if we are Two or Three players down its no more than McKenna swaps every game anyhow

Cabanas Blue

Post by Cabanas Blue » Thu Dec 29, 2022 7:46 pm

Looks like your right Mike.👍

shabba

Post by shabba » Thu Dec 29, 2022 7:47 pm

Awesome - unchanged XI tonight

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Thu Dec 29, 2022 7:54 pm

What brilliant news this is, maybe this will be McKenna's preferred starting line up whenever all are available. How good would that be.

Looking forward to watching Leif Davis again, surely his first goal must be coming soon it’s so long overdue, tonight maybe anyone?

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Thu Dec 29, 2022 8:00 pm

Mind games it was then by KMc. I like it. :lol:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Dec 29, 2022 8:04 pm

As I expected, for the first time in our history we have a manager that can play the mind games too.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Dec 29, 2022 8:07 pm

We could have players playing but not a 100% though (but hope not). Wonder if McKenna is s good poker player? :lol:

Ps this is still a bloody tough game tonight .

patthegimp

Post by patthegimp » Thu Dec 29, 2022 8:29 pm

I don't know about tonight. I just have a feeling that tonight is the night that we really begin to show jut how good we are and Portsmouth will get tanked(again)
COYB

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Thu Dec 29, 2022 8:34 pm

Looks like their midfield is decimated. I think they'll crumble tonight

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Thu Dec 29, 2022 8:52 pm

Never a free kick in a million years....

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Thu Dec 29, 2022 8:53 pm

f**king awful decision :x

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Thu Dec 29, 2022 8:54 pm

Cameraman needs to sort his focus out, all blurred!

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Thu Dec 29, 2022 8:55 pm

Another costly ref error. Shocking decision.