Plymouth Argyle

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: Plymouth Argyle

Post by Bluemike » Sat Dec 31, 2022 4:55 pm

Plymouth have won Two more games than us, one being at home to us, its sad and laughable the negativity aimed at our own team at times tbh.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sat Dec 31, 2022 5:06 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Dec 31, 2022 4:55 pm
Plymouth have won Two more games than us, one being at home to us, its sad and laughable the negativity aimed at our own team at times tbh.
Yes they, like us drew 2-2 at Portsmouth. Also they have got to travel to Ipswich, Sheffield, Barnsley and Bolton. Admittedly they gained an impressive away win at the other current top 6 side (Derby). Surely there must be some hope (yes no guarantees) in seeing those fixtures.
Nothing is certain, but without hope, really what is there?

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Dec 31, 2022 5:07 pm

Think if there is a genuine possibility that some of their loan signings are recalled in Jan, (as per info from the forum member, Steve) , then that really would be excellent news. The Whittaker chap going back to the Swans would help massively.
Speaking of one player making a difference, Azzurro ——>>, i’d say him @ Argyle, defo.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sat Dec 31, 2022 5:11 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sat Dec 31, 2022 5:07 pm
Think if there is a genuine possibility that some of their loan signings are recalled in Jan, (as per info from the forum member, Steve) , then that really would be excellent news. The Whittaker chap going back to the Swans would help massively.
Speaking of one player making a difference, Azzurro ——>>, i’d say him @ Argyle, defo.
Indeed Marko. Admittedly had to read that a few times as I couldn't work out at first why you wanted to pack me off to the West country :P :lol:
There are many players who do make that difference and while a team game, that one player might offer that percentage which consistently gets their team over the line.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Dec 31, 2022 5:18 pm

AzzurroMark wrote:
Sat Dec 31, 2022 5:11 pm
marko69 wrote:
Sat Dec 31, 2022 5:07 pm
Indeed Marko. Admittedly had to read that a few times as I couldn't work out at first why you wanted to pack me off to the West country :P :lol:
There are many players who do make that difference and while a team game, that one player might offer that percentage which consistently gets their team over the line.
I have no doubt whatsoever, Azzurro, that you’d be a fantastic addition to a Pilgrims forum! :lol:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Dec 31, 2022 5:40 pm

That would be Pilgrims Progress.

By the way, as Plymouth already have promotion in the bag why bother keeping the loan players, surely it's job done after half a season ? They are a massive Four points ahead of us and deserve it, the Four points we were cheated out of against Barnsley and Wednesday.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Dec 31, 2022 8:22 pm

AzzurroMark wrote:
Sat Dec 31, 2022 5:06 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Yes they, like us drew 2-2 at Portsmouth. Also they have got to travel to Ipswich, Sheffield, Barnsley and Bolton. Admittedly they gained an impressive away win at the other current top 6 side (Derby). Surely there must be some hope (yes no guarantees) in seeing those fixtures.

It’s “ half time” in the season isn’t it. Everyone had played everyone once . Plymouth are 4 points ahead , and we are edging Sheffield Weds in GD only.

I’d say Plymouth are edging away ( we were only a point off them for most of season. We were also 5 points ahead of Sheffield Weds. Now we’re level pegging. I’d say we’ve done well to stay in contention with the injuries we’ve had for 3-4 months … but out of the top 3 I’d say we are the most vulnerable going into the “ second half”.

Much to play for , and 2-3 other clubs now closing in. It’ll be down to who recruits best in this window, who keeps (or improves, or loses ) form that’ll decide it. Lots of “ must win” games…

I think we all have our gut feelings, views, about who’s doing what in the league right now. But none of us actually knows how this will pan out.

I don’t think there’s a single person posting on this forum that isn’t a 100% wanting, praying, that Town will get promoted come May. But We all have our fears, reservations, and opinions about how it will go . That doesn’t mean they are necessarily being negative about Town. Of course we want the team promoted, but fear of failure ( we’ve waited bloody years for SOMETHING to cheer), we’re all desperate that it happens. We can taste it. But those gaps ( that comfort zone( had gone. And we can all see what is happening in these now “ must win” games. We have another one Monday now and there’s no margin for error anymore. That ramps up the tetcy barometer. But no one on here wants Town to fail or isn’t 100% behind the lads in Blue.

Andym

Post by Andym » Sat Dec 31, 2022 8:36 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sat Dec 31, 2022 8:22 pm
AzzurroMark wrote:
Sat Dec 31, 2022 5:06 pm
Bluemike wrote:

It’s “ half time” in the season isn’t it. Everyone had played everyone once . Plymouth are 4 points ahead , and we are edging Sheffield Weds in GD only.

I’d say Plymouth are edging away ( we were only a point off them for most of season. We were also 5 points ahead of Sheffield Weds. Now we’re level pegging. I’d say we’ve done well to stay in contention with the injuries we’ve had for 3-4 months … but out of the top 3 I’d say we are the most vulnerable going into the “ second half”.

Much to play for , and 2-3 other clubs now closing in. It’ll be down to who recruits best in this window, who keeps (or improves, or loses ) form that’ll decide it. Lots of “ must win” games…

I think we all have our gut feelings, views, about who’s doing what in the league right now. But none of us actually knows how this will pan out.

I don’t think there’s a single person posting on this forum that isn’t a 100% wanting, praying, that Town will get promoted come May. But We all have our fears, reservations, and opinions about how it will go . That doesn’t mean they are necessarily being negative about Town. Of course we want the team promoted, but fear of failure ( we’ve waited bloody years for SOMETHING to cheer), we’re all desperate that it happens. We can taste it. But those gaps ( that comfort zone( had gone. And we can all see what is happening in these now “ must win” games. We have another one Monday now and there’s no margin for error anymore. That ramps up the tetcy barometer. But no one on here wants Town to fail or isn’t 100% behind the lads in Blue.
That, I think, sums it up perfectly.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sat Dec 31, 2022 8:52 pm

^^^

Yes very sensible post Hallam, especially after missing out with MM that year when Mr Evans tightened his arse hole…I meant wallet sorry :lol:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Jan 01, 2023 12:42 am

Where I disagree Liz is that I think all too often people are quick to put us down at the slightest thing or first opportunity, why do you feel we are anymore vulnerable than Plymouth or Sheffield Wednesday? To be honest I think we are in the best position to win the League taking everything into account.

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Sun Jan 01, 2023 9:29 am

Its all to play for. Plymouth, Sheff Weds and Barnsley are just as vulnerable as us to poor form, i juries or poor referees. We will just have to see. I would however, venture that we have more buying power than them so that may reduce our vulnerability but you never know. It is easy for many on here to keep espousing how we are not the real deal and that they are being 'realistic'. Having watched Town for 50 years -and especially the last 20, no-one was ever criticised for being proved right that we fail in our endeavours. Makes it easy for them to say 'I told you so' at a later date. Its more 'risky' to be positive and hope for that outcome. I genuinely believe we will come out on top. I have been frustrated by the lack of chances taken, poor ref decisions and poor defending as much as anyone but quality eventually shines through and we have exactly that. There is much talk of Barnsley coming good - and they are but there is an equal chance that they may het some injuries etc and drop off the pace. That's the nature of a 46 game season. I have seen us outplay all of them since the start of the season - despite our defensive and attacking frailties. It then comes down to 50:50 decisions and 'sliding door moments' which we are all equally vulnerable to. Just cos Plymouth are on top, barnsley are coming up on the rails and weds are still there does not make any of them better than us or have a better chance of promotion - it just means its a tough league so we have to keep the faith. Thats what I am doing and suggest that any other course is premature...

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Jan 01, 2023 9:46 am

Exactly !!! Word perfect, you'd be who I would wanna be in the trenches with, would be slitting my wrists with others lol

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Jan 01, 2023 10:53 am

Good post BW. Whilst there’s a lot of truth in what you say, the simply fact is, Town are the ones that have dropped the points, ( albeit to very poor ref decisions, goals disallowed, soft goals given away every week). To lose a 5 point gap over the 3rd placed team means we have dropped far more than those 5 points. So that’s not a blip, or a bit of bad luck, that’s either form ( over a long period of games) or s weakness either in our side, or tactical approach, in my humble view.

I’ve been of the view all season thst our defence is weak. It’s masked / hidden by our ability to keep possession of the ball. As soon as we lose possession we invariably concede. To state this doesn’t make me negative ….. just possibly realistic.

Town have come a helluva long way in just 12months. It’s awesome how this Club has changed. But I personally ( despite the quality we have) think we a just a tad short to get over that line.m with what we’ve got in the squad. We ALWAYS concede goals to weaker opposition, clutching a draw out if certain victory . What makes that stat important (and IS different from Sheffield Weds / Plymouth), is the regularity of this ongoing Achilles heel. If we don’t address it m, it WILL cost us in my humble view. I don’t think this makes me negative. I’m just stating what HAS happened, and it would give me no pleasure to say at the end of the season if we just miss out, “ told you so”. It’s a weakness / problem this Club has to sort this window. If they don’t address it, I doubt these mistakes will stop, because the quality we have in the team is not in our defence, it’s in midfield and attack. It’s defenders we need in my view because we gift easy goals to opponents every single week.

Finally, Happy New Year to you all let’s hope 2023 is OUR year 👍🥂x

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sun Jan 01, 2023 12:44 pm

I get the talk of "points dropped", just look at Portsmouth who were, I believe, level with us when they visited Portman Road but are now struggling! Surely though at just over the half way stage, we have dropped just the same points as Wednesday and fewer than Barnsley! Yes both these sides have closed the gap on us recently suggesting they have shown better form than us lately.

We tend to analyse our own club's results, our competitors fans will do the same and discuss the same on their forums. I am sure the Owls fans were fed up that they couldn't break down Oxford at home recently in a 0-0 draw, and then 9 days later we stick 3 past them without reply. Plymouth at the start of December lost 2-0 at home to Port Vale, despite 63% possession. So it is not just Ipswich who are averse to surprise results.
Yes momentum could be viewed as being with our rivals, and yes we are talking "results" here - known factors. I also know that we have more points than Barnsley, regardless of whether they win their games in hand. I'd rather have points in the bag, to be the hunted rather than the hunter. The same of Plymouth, they have done fantastically, and like us with KM, have a really good manager! For me the two things we should be focussing on is ourselves and also closing that gap on the Pilgrims.

A New Year has started, in effect our season really starts from here. It is in our hands, just :P , so let's do this!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Jan 01, 2023 12:58 pm

Plymouth also failed to beat Burton, Lincoln, Bristol Rovers and Charlton, hardly infallible.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Jan 01, 2023 4:09 pm

I think I’ll take a look at them today and watch their game on ifollow 👍

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Jan 01, 2023 4:12 pm

Were those games away out of interest Mike? I don’t think they travel very well, but they don’t seem to lose their home games .

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Jan 01, 2023 4:13 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Sun Jan 01, 2023 4:09 pm
I think I’ll take a look at them today and watch their game on ifollow 👍
Well they’re 1-0 up inside 4 mins. Long afternoon for MKD I think.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Jan 01, 2023 4:25 pm

Well they ain't winning now

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Jan 01, 2023 4:35 pm

Yes .. 1-1 👍👍

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Jan 01, 2023 4:40 pm

2-1 now

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Jan 01, 2023 4:44 pm

Lol … bit of hand going in there this arbo.

Charlton beating Pompey !

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Jan 01, 2023 4:46 pm

Pigott is playing so no surprise lol

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Jan 01, 2023 5:01 pm

I feel sorry for him tbh. Suspect he’s in due to illness to their normal strikers

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Sun Jan 01, 2023 5:07 pm

Wycombe are winning against Peterborough away and have quietly moved into the play-off spots. Wouldn't want to play them in the play offs.

I think Bolton, now in 7th, will give Barnsley a real test tomorrow.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Jan 01, 2023 5:15 pm

Plymouth went ahead early (before I started watching) with a brilliant set piece from a well taken Whittaker free kick and quick footwork from the scorer James Wilson. After the goal the game went a little flat and MKD’s got on top and started to dominate. The crowd went flat and there was absolutely no atmosphere in the ground and eventually MKD’s got their well deserved equaliser with well struck shot. Fortunately this woke Plymouth up and whilst there were chances at both ends it was Plymouth who broke the deadline with that man Whittaker involved again by providing the assist. At HT Plymouth lead 2-1 and according to their commentary when Argyle lead at HT 88% of games they then go on and win.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Jan 01, 2023 5:19 pm

3-1 now : Whitaker …. That’s how to put a game to bed .

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Jan 01, 2023 5:43 pm

Second half early chances fell mostly to MKD’s but were well defended by the home side or narrowly off target. These squandered chances were soon punished and following a fast break out of defence the ball fell to Morgan Whittaker who took absolutely no time to hit a perfect strike from just inside the box into the opposite side of the goal going in off the post. He was completely surrounded by about 6 MKD’s defenders plus the keeper but struck the ball so crisply and accurately there was only one place that was ending up. Since conceding the 3rd goal the best chances have fell to MKD’s but the difference is they don’t have a Whittaker on the pitch.
To be honest I’ve watched enough of this and will switch over to Forest v Chelsea.
What I have learned is that Morgan Whittaker is far more important to Plymouth than just for his goals, he’s absolutely everywhere, taking set pieces and providing opportunities for others as has been the case this afternoon with one goal and two assists. From what I’ve watched this afternoon we don’t have a reliance on any one player as Argyle have with Whittaker. Maybe it’s as simple as of Whittaker stays fit and in form Argyle may well keep up their challenge for one of the automatic places but could come unstuck if they had a prolonged spell without him.
Another stat that might be worth looking at if we want to compare ourselves with them is their percentage of shots on target. It just felt like the majority of their shots were hitting the target whereas many of ours don’t.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Jan 01, 2023 5:51 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sun Jan 01, 2023 5:19 pm
3-1 now : Whitaker …. That’s how to put a game to bed .
To be fair Liz we didn’t actually struggle to put our game with MKD’s to bed, 3-0 after 60 mins.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Jan 01, 2023 6:09 pm

I have just been looking at the last 6 form table snd Plymouth are bloody flying , as are Barnsley and Sheff Weds . Plymouth have a 100% home record over these games . This is where we are weaker. We can’t put games to bed. So for me, we really do have to significantly up their game now, to stay in touch in my view, be used these teams around us are not faltering. I see Charlton who can’t buy a win have just gone to Pompey what we couldn’t . It’s squeaky bum time as far ad I’m concerned.