League 1 - Lincoln City vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Can we start 2023 with a win?

Lincoln Win
11%
Ipswich Win
61%
Draw
28%

Total votes: 18

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Re: League 1 - Lincoln City vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Charnwood » Mon Jan 02, 2023 6:47 pm

Another comment on the Lincoln commentary was about the Stats being meaningless especially when the possession is non threatening the opposition can lap that up all day long. It’s not about stats but what you do with the ball when you have it”

Looking at todays Stats, Lincoln had 22% possession 2 shots 1 shot on target 3 corners to our 78% possession 21 shots 8 shots on target 9 corners. Both stats produced 1 goal and there’s came from 1 of their corners when we gave away a penalty. Talk about proving the point of stats being meaningless.

I’d also love to know how many of our shots on target we struck straight at their keeper.!

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Mon Jan 02, 2023 6:51 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Mon Jan 02, 2023 6:26 pm
McKenna is not making it easy for players though, this rotation sh*t us causing problems, say what you like but it is, Chaplin and Ladapo have to start, top scorers and while Freddie may be inconsistent look at the goal mouth incident when he came on compared to when Jackson was on ? No comparison.

And why oh why is Burns untouchable? Don't get me wrong I like him but if anyone needs to be rotated it's him, been off it for a few weeks now and poor again today. I still think McKenna is very good but I can't help but think he's getting a bit too clever and cocky at times.
Ladapo unless we get a proven striker in. He has had decent chances in the last 2 games and missed. He is not the answer and hasn't been all season. A team that has that much possession shots corners and don't win is purely down to poor finishing which he is one of worst. If we beat both Plymouth and Wednesday at home everything will seem much better. Didn't like the selection today you don't drop s guy who scoring for fun.

Steve

Post by Steve » Mon Jan 02, 2023 6:55 pm

Bluemike wrote:
McKenna is not making it easy for players though, this rotation sh*t us causing problems, say what you like but it is, Chaplin and Ladapo have to start, top scorers and while Freddie may be inconsistent look at the goal mouth incident when he came on compared to when Jackson was on ? No comparison.

And why oh why is Burns untouchable? Don't get me wrong I like him but if anyone needs to be rotated it's him, been off it for a few weeks now and poor again today. I still think McKenna is very good but I can't help but think he's getting a bit too clever and cocky at times.
I agree more with you Mike on more goal mouth incidents when Freddie came on, but there was what looked like a simple header and he headed straight at the goalie. He doesn't look switched on to me all the time, amount of times he gets caught offside, real annoying. Its like he flits in and out but this isn't just about Freddie. Jackson makes me cringe, great pace which in itself is a nightmare for defenders but if playing as a striker at least get in goal scoring positions. He had one cross which went straight a defender and obviously involved in the sending off

I can only presume Chaplin wasn't 100% because for me he did make things happen. Still not convinced it was a penalty and seeing how our manager headed straight for the ref don't think Kieran was convinced also

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Mon Jan 02, 2023 6:56 pm

marko69 wrote:
Mon Jan 02, 2023 6:20 pm
Steve wrote:
Mon Jan 02, 2023 6:15 pm
Freddie, I really cannot sum him up.
He’s shyte
:lol: Sad but very true

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Jan 02, 2023 7:27 pm

Steve wrote:
Mon Jan 02, 2023 6:55 pm
Bluemike wrote:

I agree more with you Mike on more goal mouth incidents when Freddie came on, but there was what looked like a simple header and he headed straight at the goalie. He doesn't look switched on to me all the time, amount of times he gets caught offside, real annoying. Its like he flits in and out but this isn't just about Freddie. Jackson makes me cringe, great pace which in itself is a nightmare for defenders but if playing as a striker at least get in goal scoring positions. He had one cross which went straight a defender and obviously involved in the sending off

I can only presume Chaplin wasn't 100% because for me he did make things happen. Still not convinced it was a penalty and seeing how our manager headed straight for the ref don't think Kieran was convinced also
Chaplin looked fully fit to me Steve tbh.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Jan 02, 2023 7:59 pm

At least Bolton did us a favour today slowing down Barnsley’s move up the table. Maybe they can do us another favour next week when they entertain Plymouth who’s away form isn’t as convincing as when they play at home.

The game will also get rid of Boltons game in hand which gives a more even picture of the table. We just need Barnsley to catch up.

Steve

Post by Steve » Mon Jan 02, 2023 8:11 pm

Listening to Kieran's post match interview he mentioned the bug and basically it was case of putting more fit players on and lesser so on subs bench

There were a few looked sluggish being honest. Kieran was fuming about the penalty, can see his point as well

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Jan 02, 2023 8:20 pm

Steve wrote:
Mon Jan 02, 2023 8:11 pm
Kieran was fuming about the penalty, can see his point as well.
100%

Since saw highlights. Shocking decision.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Mon Jan 02, 2023 8:32 pm

Steve wrote:
Mon Jan 02, 2023 8:11 pm
Listening to Kieran's post match interview he mentioned the bug and basically it was case of putting more fit players on and lesser so on subs bench

There were a few looked sluggish being honest. Kieran was fuming about the penalty, can see his point as well
Exactly what I thought and said before kickoff.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Mon Jan 02, 2023 9:59 pm

Some things you can say - or won't - you bite your f**king tongue and move on. Won't always take the easy option but (decided right now) what is the point of argument.

Right off the bat it feels like - or is - two points dropped. We had what 80 per cent possession over their 20 and created three, four times as many chances as they did Read the report, caught some fan reaction on-line and everybody has an opinion but what with other scores today around us and yesterday with it, got to be disappointed we didn't make more of it.

Why leave Chaplin and Ladapo on the bench to begin with and while the manager has a monumental hard-on for starting one in attack i woudn' t have chosen Jackson to lead any charge. The opposition manager saw an opportunity, played two / three in attack and very nearly got a win from it. It wouldn't have been deserved but they set their stall out in a certain way, kind of understand it. Think opposition teams know ahead of time how we're going to set-up for each game and design a way themselves to counter it or try for a result themselves. Kind of explains why we struggle sometimes or better still, fail to get a result over 90 minutes.

I don't feel maybe we got the right momentum, the right philosophy in that we can carry things through There's something lacking in a pivotal part of the team or how we go out there, something that can or will cost the team expensive by end of season. it has to be rectified.

There's things you could add to it but this occasion going for a more mannered approach. Won't always be the way but one last time, sometimes it just ain't worth any scene.

Denny61

Post by Denny61 » Tue Jan 03, 2023 12:25 am

Plymouth have the nxt 3 games away..if Bolton can take something off them ..plus they have a cup game 4 days before our game with them ..ideal.time to play them and show them why they are only warming no 1 spot for us ..

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Jan 03, 2023 12:40 am

The best thing that could happen to us snd Plymouth is Whittaker swaps a green shirt for a blue one! We need someone who can score goals.

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Tue Jan 03, 2023 2:17 am

As much as I think we are own worst enemy. I do feel refereeing decisions have cost us a whole load of points this season. They say these things equal themselves out well let's see. For a team that can spend up to 70% in the oppositions half / box yet get given no penalties is astonishing.. Plymouth and Wednesday get them? I have said it before i,do believe something is working against us. Whether thats the whoever runs the referees or the league doesn't like our budget it ssms stacked against us, Rossi who loves a row because like all cockneys are all mouth and no substance in my experience disagrees. But something in this league doesn't want Ipswich Town promoted.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue Jan 03, 2023 3:40 am

Not the result I was expecting. I predicted a draw. I really don’t think you have to be watching live matches to realize we need reinforcements. It’s annoying that people are starting to question KM, while raging about negativity on the forum. We’ve all talked about Plymouth falling off, but it :wink: seems we’re the ones falling. I’m confident KM & MA will do what they can, but it always comes back to one thing. Play for the shirt!!!

COYB!

rossi

Post by rossi » Tue Jan 03, 2023 8:21 am

mendipblue wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 2:17 am
As much as I think we are own worst enemy. I do feel refereeing decisions have cost us a whole load of points this season. They say these things equal themselves out well let's see. For a team that can spend up to 70% in the oppositions half / box yet get given no penalties is astonishing.. Plymouth and Wednesday get them? I have said it before i,do believe something is working against us. Whether thats the whoever runs the referees or the league doesn't like our budget it ssms stacked against us, Rossi who loves a row because like all cockneys are all mouth and no substance in my experience disagrees. But something in this league doesn't want Ipswich Town promoted.
Really? Tell you what, Mendip, next home game you attend let's meet up for a discussion and see if your experience
of cockneys changes after that :wink:

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Tue Jan 03, 2023 8:43 am

Mendip, I politely suggest you apologise mate as I too have taken offence to you slating Cockeys, can promise you they are not all mouth.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:13 am

number 9 wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 3:40 am
Not the result I was expecting. I predicted a draw. I really don’t think you have to be watching live matches to realize we need reinforcements. It’s annoying that people are starting to question KM, while raging about negativity on the forum. We’ve all talked about Plymouth falling off, but it :wink: seems we’re the ones falling. I’m confident KM & MA will do what they can, but it always comes back to one thing. Play for the shirt!!!

COYB!
The thing is 9, negativity about anything and everything is one thing which believe it or not a lot of us don't want to keep reading, constructive criticism however is completely different, I think Mckenna is excellent and done so much good, I do however believe his rotation crap is having an adverse effect on team performances and certain players, Ladapo being a classic example, it may just be this is one of the reasons we are not winning games we should be winning, who knows ?

rossi

Post by rossi » Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:49 am

Bluemike wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:13 am
The thing is 9, negativity about anything and everything is one thing which believe it or not a lot of us don't want to keep reading, constructive criticism however is completely different, I think Mckenna is excellent and done so much good, I do however believe his rotation crap is having an adverse effect on team performances and certain players, Ladapo being a classic example, it may just be this is one of the reasons we are not winning games we should be winning, who knows ?
Thing is, Mike, ask 20 members of this forum where negativity ends and constructive criticism begins and I bet you would get 20 different answers. Bottom line is we all have opinions which may align to the opinions of others or may differ wildly - but they are all opinions and all deserving of respect :)

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:38 am

Yep that is true, I think the thing I struggle with is the inability of some to ever say anything positive when there has been so much to be positive about. Ideally I would put them on block so I can't read it but can't even do that lmao.

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:24 am

Dazzz67 wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 8:43 am
Mendip, I politely suggest you apologise mate as I too have taken offence to you slating Cockeys, can promise you they are not all mouth.
I apologise.

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Tue Jan 03, 2023 12:45 pm

Appreciated!

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Tue Jan 03, 2023 2:20 pm

rossi wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 8:21 am
mendipblue wrote:
Really? Tell you what, Mendip, next home game you attend let's meet up for a discussion and see if your experience
Living in Somerset I don't get to to many home games. But I promise the next time I do you will be the first to know so we can have that discussion you want. 👍

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Jan 03, 2023 3:08 pm

mendipblue wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 2:20 pm
rossi wrote:
mendipblue wrote:
Living in Somerset I don't get to to many home games. But I promise the next time I do you will be the first to know so we can have that discussion you want. 👍
Do you have a brother or cousin in Chester called Derick by any chance? You are a carbon copy of the guy both in content of post and writing style. It is truly uncanny.
By the way, the obvious answer is no because Dericks a$$ was canned twice i believe. He was funny though……… he won The Don Cup twice in its 6 year stint.

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Tue Jan 03, 2023 3:29 pm

marko69 wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 3:08 pm
mendipblue wrote:
rossi wrote:

Do you have a brother or cousin in Chester called Derick by any chance? You are a carbon copy of the guy both in content of post and writing style. It is truly uncanny.
By the way, the obvious answer is no because Dericks a$$ was canned twice i believe. He was funny though……… he won The Don Cup twice in its 6 year stint.
No unfortunately. That explains why a couple of posters have called me Derek. 👍

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Jan 03, 2023 3:54 pm

Yes, i think i said “lighten up Derick” in one post a few months back! :lol:
Was just so “Derick”.

By the way, Derick could be lurking…….. he was quite firm on it being Derick……. Not Derek.
Ok Mandop?! :D

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Jan 03, 2023 4:20 pm

Lol 😂

rossi

Post by rossi » Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:06 pm

mendipblue wrote:
rossi wrote:
mendipblue wrote:
Oh, so you're just an armchair fan are you Mendip? I must say I'm mildly surprised, you have so much to say on every match thread that I assumed you were talking from actual first-hand experience :wink:

No worries though, I' am sure I can wait until you are next up at PR whenever that might be. Please keep me posted.

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:50 pm

rossi wrote:
Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:06 pm
mendipblue wrote:
rossi wrote:

Oh, so you're just an armchair fan are you Mendip? I must say I'm mildly surprised, you have so much to say on every match thread that I assumed you were talking from actual first-hand experience :wink:

No worries though, I' am sure I can wait until you are next up at PR whenever that might be. Please keep me posted.
First and foremost I'm a fan. Have you got any mirrors in your house? I suggest you have a word with yourself. Let's not entertain the masses. Let's go private messaging. I know that might not appeal to someone with so much to say. 🥱

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Jan 04, 2023 12:19 am

Yes, please take it to pm in the primary school playground, girls. The blouse with the most buckles on their handbag wins. 🤦‍♂️