FA Cup (R3) - Ipswich Town vs Rotherham United Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Chance of being in the 4th round?

Ipswich Win
80%
Rotherham Win
13%
Replay
7%

Total votes: 15

marko69
Global Moderator

Re: FA Cup (R3) - Ipswich Town vs Rotherham United Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by marko69 » Sat Jan 07, 2023 8:42 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2023 8:27 pm
marko69 wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2023 8:05 pm
hallamblue wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2023 7:59 pm
I actually enjoyed that game! Didn’t feel any pressure to “ must win”.

The things that stood out for me were…

1) How nice it was to play a team that hadn’t come to park the bus. Town could play their flowing game. This is what it’s be like if we got back into the Championship I think. None of this bloody crap shyte housery tactics . No time wasting tactics, feigning injury , blatant spoiling tactics etc. it’s was for once a blood6 pleasure to watch a “ football “ game.

2) How much is was to have a half decent ref !!

3) How bloody brilliant it was to actually be awarded penalties !

4) How lovely it was to see our players actually take their chances for once. Millers couldn’t have complained if it’s had finished 6-1.

5) That’s the best game I’ve seen from Ladapo since he’s been at the club. Play like every week and we’d have no issues with scoring goals. Does he feel the pressure With two potential strikers sitting in the stands to day I wonder?

6) FFS Town get Humphries tied down to a VERY long deal. The kid is sheer class.

7) My only gripe of the day…. Our defence is shyte when actually challenged.

Which one?
Cameron
:lol: They’re both Cameron. Didn’t actually believe AzzurroMark ——>> googled ——>> two Cameron Humphreys. :shock:

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Jan 07, 2023 8:58 pm

SWFC just beat Newcastle and I’d say they looked pretty good to me. Strong and quick on the break. McGuinness massive for them st the back and Windass very very good. It’s going to be a tough game at PR…. It could well be us two that finally go up. Plymouth didn’t look to have much about them v Bolton today . Hopefully missing Whittaker👍

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Jan 07, 2023 9:00 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2023 8:42 pm
hallamblue wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2023 8:27 pm
marko69 wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2023 8:05 pm

Which one?
Cameron
:lol: They’re both Cameron. Didn’t actually believe AzzurroMark ——>> googled ——>> two Cameron Humphreys. :shock:
I didn’t realise there were two either !! Lol … but I mean our CH .

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sat Jan 07, 2023 9:10 pm

A great result, for me even more remarkable considering Morsy didn't play. Must admit I had wondered how we'd fare without his steely determination.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Jan 07, 2023 9:23 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2023 8:58 pm
SWFC just beat Newcastle and I’d say they looked pretty good to me. Strong and quick on the break. McGuinness massive for them st the back and Windass very very good. It’s going to be a tough game at PR…. It could well be us two that finally go up. Plymouth didn’t look to have much about them v Bolton today . Hopefully missing Whittaker👍
It is going to be a great (& difficult) 2nd half of the season. Got to be delighted that the powers that be know this, and are active early in the window.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sat Jan 07, 2023 9:26 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2023 9:23 pm
hallamblue wrote:
It is going to be a great (& difficult) 2nd half of the season. Got to be delighted that the powers that be know this, and are active early in the window.
I agree, the second half of this season looks like being an absolute cracker. Who's going to blink first among the top 3?
Bring it on!

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Jan 07, 2023 9:35 pm

AzzurroMark wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2023 9:26 pm
marko69 wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2023 9:23 pm
hallamblue wrote:
I agree, the second half of this season looks like being an absolute cracker. Who's going to blink first among the top 3?
Bring it on!
Well....., hmmmm , you could argue Ipswich "blinked" vs Lincoln........, so err........, EYES OPEN! No more blinking!

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Jan 07, 2023 10:04 pm

Is the VAR thing not in L1 or the FA Cup? That Ipswich 4th goal, (pen) is an absolute joke. If that was against ITFC, fairly certain most would be extremely annoyed. Need to stamp out that type of dive & simulation.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Sat Jan 07, 2023 10:12 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2023 10:04 pm
Is the VAR thing not in L1 or the FA Cup? That Ipswich 4th goal, (pen) is an absolute joke. If that was against ITFC, fairly certain most would be extremely annoyed. Need to stamp out that type of dive & simulation.
I've not seen an angle that shows it clearly enough, but he must have clipped KVY ankles don't you think Marko? There's no way he would go down like that, when he's got past his man, is in good possession, and the team are 3-1 up in the 87th minute to boot. Can't see it myself??

I think VAR is being used in the FA cup, but only Premier League grounds I believe. Definitely not league 1, I don't think at Championship level, but not sure on that?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Jan 07, 2023 10:14 pm

hallamblue wrote:
I thought McGuinness was recalled?

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Jan 07, 2023 10:15 pm

That's a dive. In normal play (normal speed) he's clearly lost the ball; the tap fwd was too strong, and he's chucked himself on the turf. Needs stamped out of the game. Its a complete joke.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Sat Jan 07, 2023 10:32 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2023 10:15 pm
That's a dive. In normal play (normal speed) he's clearly lost the ball; the tap fwd was too strong, and he's chucked himself on the turf. Needs stamped out of the game. Its a complete joke.
But the covering defender kept the ball in at a jog and KVY was far closer to it when he went down, he'd have got there first and there was a man in the middle, can't see it myself. Even a tickle and one foot being the other, like toe tap in rugby, on your face. Can't say that happened, you could be right, there could be no contact.

Obviously agree on the bottom line though, if blatant dive, 10 game ban, let's see how quickly diving becomes a thing of the past.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Jan 07, 2023 10:40 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2023 10:14 pm
hallamblue wrote:
Unless there’s a late change of mind by Cardiff City his last game for Wednesday was tonight’s FA Cup tie.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sat Jan 07, 2023 10:43 pm

Bluemike wrote:
hallamblue wrote:
I checked this out when I saw him in the Owls line up, and apparently he was getting called back after the Newcastle game! I found it strange however that a team (Cardiff) struggling with players would cup tie a player that they might need to rely on if they were to progress in the cup.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/foo ... s-25908936

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Jan 07, 2023 10:46 pm

marko69 wrote:
I watched it replayed a few times and the studio pundits Ian Holloway and Steve Claridge were unanimous it was a penalty every time and couldn’t understand what the defender was thinking of.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Jan 07, 2023 10:48 pm

Ricco wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2023 10:32 pm
marko69 wrote:
But the covering defender kept the ball in at a jog and KVY was far closer to it when he went down, he'd have got there first and there was a man in the middle, can't see it myself. Even a tickle and one foot being the other, like toe tap in rugby, on your face. Can't say that happened, you could be right, there could be no contact.

Obviously agree on the bottom line though, if blatant dive, 10 game ban, let's see how quickly diving becomes a thing of the past.
Had to fwd the link to the bro-in-law to put it onto his 60 thousand inch telly......., & zoom in. There genuinely is no obvious contact there.

And the part in bold......, completely disagree with that also :lol: :lol: :lol:

You've got to just LOVE the fitbaw eh, Ricco......, we are all arseholes with opinions.
No, that's not how the saying goes.......,
Wait.....,

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Sat Jan 07, 2023 11:46 pm

Bluemike wrote:
hallamblue wrote:

Mike, He was but only for this round of the FA cup

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun Jan 08, 2023 12:48 am

The best thing about today other than the score and victory was the approach we showed in treating the competition with respect. Years back, and you can reel off enough names, managers here would show total contempt for the F.A. Cup and we'd be eliminated at the earliest rounds, but we've got through a number of stages this season with McKenna now and the opportunity is there to maybe progress that extra distance further.

Honestly can't remember last time team were in Round Four, could be quite recent but right now the memory evades you. Was today an upset given the difference in league status ? Bullshit it was nothing such, we got a win over them, deserved and on merit, we showed desire and intent and what with the promotion issue ongoing, we got certain expectation in the weeks ahead.

Last but not least we may not get the result we desire week after week but the change in hope and belief between now and 18 months, 2 years back, it's tough to put measure on it. Had Evans remained in place, Cook, Lambert etc been allowed to continue, today, all this, it would not have been possible.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun Jan 08, 2023 12:58 am

Well done! I’m so happy we made that tw*t Chris Sutton eat his words…what a complete wanker he is and a terrible football puntit and an overrated skinny, inconsistent player.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Jan 08, 2023 8:46 am

number 9 wrote:
Sun Jan 08, 2023 12:58 am
Well done! I’m so happy we made that tw*t Chris Sutton eat his words…what a complete wanker he is and a terrible football puntit and an overrated skinny, inconsistent player.
Agreed, the blokes a gobby, inbred moron.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Jan 08, 2023 8:54 am

Meant to say yesterday, what a pass by Edwards for Ladapo's goal.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Jan 08, 2023 8:58 am

Anyone seen Denny61????

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sun Jan 08, 2023 12:00 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sun Jan 08, 2023 8:58 am
Anyone seen Denny61????
Might be on his way to Norwich to get Wagner’s autograph.

rossi

Post by rossi » Sun Jan 08, 2023 12:04 pm

When the draw was made I commented that it would be a good measure of where we are as a team.

Yesterday we showed that we can compete at Championship level, as the type of game played at that level is much more conducive to our style of play. I know Rotherham are quite low in the table, but I saw enough to be able to think that we will do very well in the Championship - the difficulty is going to be playing the way we need to play in order to get out of this league.

Hoping for a good draw in the next round - Prem club at PR hopefully.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Sun Jan 08, 2023 1:02 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sun Jan 08, 2023 8:58 am
Anyone seen Denny61????
Probably just getting home for a night celebrating?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Jan 08, 2023 1:39 pm

Visiting his sister

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Sun Jan 08, 2023 2:21 pm

Probably had a sleep over Mike.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Jan 08, 2023 4:19 pm

Bluemike wrote:
hallamblue wrote:
This coming week apparently

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Jan 08, 2023 4:21 pm

:lol:
Dazzz67 wrote:
Sun Jan 08, 2023 2:21 pm
Probably had a sleep over Mike.

Mariner67

Post by Mariner67 » Mon Jan 09, 2023 1:23 pm

number 9 wrote:
Sun Jan 08, 2023 12:58 am
My partner went to school with him ,said he was a twit.